2023-2024 Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone, can someone provide me their honest opinion. I am a Canadian applicant, recieved the seconday in July but got really busy with other secondary apps and Canadian applications. Is it worth finishing the Umaryland secondary app now in October?
I am not terribly familiar with the Canadian application process, however UMSOM only interviewed 3 out of 222 international students last year. While you can submit your secondary today, waiting 2.5 months to complete a secondary does not reflect well on your dedication to this school, and will likely impact your odds.

My opinion: save your money, unless your application is truly stellar.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
JUST GOT THE ACCEPTANCE CALL!! I'm so happy, this is my dream school.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Do you know when people completed in August usually hear back about interviews?
i would be wary about referring to prior years, as this years cycle is quite different. @horsegirl_doctor submitted 08/05 and received an II just last week, and that is the only early-August II I have heard of so far.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What does it mean if I didn’t get a decision today? Interviewed early sep
I did too and I am panicking haha. Not sure what it means. Although is seems that previous years decisions were not necessarily in exact order of interviews. We probably still have a chance to hear good news by Wednesday I think

Reactions: 1 user
For those who have already interviewed, do they tell you the names of your interviewers beforehand?

An OOS buddy of mine that interviewed here a couple of weeks ago also got an acceptance call today

• Love
OOS acceptance call on Monday (yay!)- anyone else still not see it reflected in the portal or gotten some sort of email confirmation? idk why I'm paranoid

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
OOS acceptance call on Monday (yay!)- anyone else still not see it reflected in the portal or gotten some sort of email confirmation? idk why I'm paranoid
LOL literally just got the email. posting this manifested ig

I'm with you there. Got the call (IS) yesterday, but the email only came today. Lost some sleep last night wondering if that call was real, lol

Got an acceptance in my email this morning, was never called so don’t get anxious if the phone doesn’t ring!

Reactions: 4 users
anyone receive a early August secondary submission II?

not august but i submitted 7/24 and got an II on 9/20. i'm in-state
ah man I'm dreading receiving a hold or R. don't know how UMSOM's schedule for interviews is running but I'm IS and submitted first week of August - haven't heard anything :(

• Care
Any OOS who submitted on 07/29 or later receive an II? This is my top choice (I now live in MD), but I didn’t exactly meet their letter requirements so not sure if that was affecting my app. My secondary was basically a love letter to UMD lol

ah man I'm dreading receiving a hold or R. don't know how UMSOM's schedule for interviews is running but I'm IS and submitted first week of August - haven't heard anything :(
In the same boat as you. I know last year, they sent out the pre-II R's mid December, so I wouldn't make too many assumptions before then.

Got an acceptance call last night!!! Interviewed 10/9

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Any OOS who submitted on 07/29 or later receive an II? This is my top choice (I now live in MD), but I didn’t exactly meet their letter requirements so not sure if that was affecting my app. My secondary was basically a love letter to UMD lol
I submitted 8/5 and got an interview invite on 10/11 and interviewed yesterday. Hopefully they are just taking their time going through August submissions and you get one soon!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hi :) I don't want to put any bad vibes out into the universe but I was wondering if anyone knows when UMSOM starts sending out waitlist and R notifications post-interview?

Got an acceptance call last night!!! Interviewed 10/9
Wow, quick turnaround! I interviewed 10/18 and was braced to wait at least a month but now wondering if it could be as soon as next week. Bigtime congrats!!

Wow, quick turnaround! I interviewed 10/18 and was braced to wait at least a month but now wondering if it could be as soon as next week. Bigtime congrats!!

I know! Thank you!! I totally wasn’t expecting it because during the interview day they said 4-6 weeks. I haven’t gotten the official letter yet but they said it’s coming in the next few days

View attachment 376561
I applied ED and haven't heard anything yet. Today I was checking my portal neurotically, and saw the infamous status bar (picture for reference). I've gotten this in past cycles, and typically it followed by a pre-II rejection a week or two later (this was February-ish and I applied RD). I found out from a previous ED candidate who was accepted at Maryland and a current M1 that they received their II 09/07/2022 and interviewed a week later. This is definitely a vent post, but I don't know if I should take this as them actually just reviewing my app, or take it as what it's meant in the past. I hate this process :(
I got this as well, yesterday. I'm a reapplicant and I remember I had this lock and "under review" in my portal last time. Eventually, it turned into a "Hold" and like a day or two later I got rejected. Based on other responses throughout the years and my own anecdotal experience, I'm fairly certain we're rejected. Hope this gives others in the same boat some semblance of closure.

I got this as well, yesterday. I'm a reapplicant and I remember I had this lock and "under review" in my portal last time. Eventually, it turned into a "Hold" and like a day or two later I got rejected. Based on other responses throughout the years and my own anecdotal experience, I'm fairly certain we're rejected. Hope this gives others in the same boat some semblance of closure.

Is this only for ED?

I know there was talk of the dates associated with listed LORs on the status tab changing, but has anyone noticed these dates changing multiple times?

I know there was talk of the dates associated with listed LORs on the status tab changing, but has anyone noticed these dates changing multiple times?
I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this but I figured out that every time you resubmit the primary AMCAS app*, the UMSOM portal updates the LORs date to the new (most recent) submission date.

*like if you add a new school and resubmit

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this but I figured out that every time you resubmit the primary AMCAS app*, the UMSOM portal updates the LORs date to the new (most recent) submission date.

*like if you add a new school and resubmit

Ahhh that would make sense. Thank you!!