You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2023-2024 Northeast Ohio (NEOMED)
Started by chilly_md
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
hopefulphysiciansoon
Full Member
IS A off the alternate list today... does anyone know is the "weed it down to 3" rule applies after the 15th? Or how much time do we have to make decisions after getting an A (if that A brings you up to over 3 As)?
by the 15th you should weed it down to 3
saltypapaya
Full Member
But what happens if we did that and then get off a waitlist after the 15th? Do we need to keep it down to 3 or can we keep any additional acceptances we get between the 15th and the 30th? I can't seem to find any information about this onlineby the 15th you should weed it down to 3
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hopefulphysiciansoon
Full Member
But what happens if we did that and then get off a waitlist after the 15th? Do we need to keep it down to 3 or can we keep any additional acceptances we get between the 15th and the 30th? I can't seem to find any information about this online
you narrow it down as you get more acceptances to keep 3 at a time
saltypapaya
Full Member
Is there an AMCAS protocol/rule that specifically states this?you narrow it down as you get more acceptances to keep 3 at a time
Per the following link: Application and Acceptance Protocols for ApplicantsIs there an AMCAS protocol/rule that specifically states this?
- In fairness to other applicants, if you have decided before April 30 not to attend a medical school or program that has offered you an acceptance, promptly withdraw your application from that school(s) or program(s).
- Out of respect for other applicants, if you receive an offer of acceptance from more than one school or program:
- Withdraw your acceptance from any school or program you do not plan to attend as soon as you have made that decision;
- On or before April 15, narrow your selection(s) to no more than three schools or programs, and withdraw your acceptance(s) from all other schools or programs; and
- On or before April 30, choose the school or program to which you plan to matriculate and promptly withdraw your acceptances from all other schools or programs.
- If you receive additional acceptances following April 30, it is your responsibility to promptly notify any school(s) you have decided to not attend. Your decision should be made by the deadline established by the medical school(s).
D
deleted1174679
Who calls to offer the acceptance?IS A off the alternate list today... does anyone know is the "weed it down to 3" rule applies after the 15th? Or how much time do we have to make decisions after getting an A (if that A brings you up to over 3 As)?
saltypapaya
Full Member
I got an email, not a callWho calls to offer the acceptance?
D
deleted1174679
What time are these emails being sent?
I got the email at 4 pm!What time are these emails being sent?
If you know you're going to decline, why hold the spot (not judging, trying to understand rationale)?Got the A off the alternate list today. Going to decline it in the next week or so. Good luck everyone!
Personally, I held onto my A longer because I was waiting for financial aid. But I weighed my options and I realized another program might be a better fit, and I asked myself - if I got off any one of my waitlists would I still go here? Plus, knowing the volume of the waitlist here, I didn’t want to contribute to delaying another persons’ acceptance.If you know you're going to decline, why hold the spot (not judging, trying to understand rationale)?
If you know you're going to decline, why hold the spot (not judging, trying to understand rationale)?
This is similar to the reason why I am hanging on to my spot. Though I will likely give up my acceptance for another program, I want to wait as long as I can for financial reasons. I will likely give up my A on 4/29 if I do not receive information by that point.Personally, I held onto my A longer because I was waiting for financial aid. But I weighed my options and I realized another program might be a better fit, and I asked myself - if I got off any one of my waitlists would I still go here? Plus, knowing the volume of the waitlist here, I didn’t want to contribute to delaying another persons’ acceptance.
Bengal7523
New Member
The email the financial aid department sent out 4/16 said they anticipate issuing financial aid offers in mid-May.This is similar to the reason why I am hanging on to my spot. Though I will likely give up my acceptance for another program, I want to wait as long as I can for financial reasons. I will likely give up my A on 4/29 if I do not receive information by that point.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To clarify: they have no information posted anywhere about when they give out scholarships. That’s what I’m holding out for. Financial can mean more than FAFSA related aid.The email the financial aid department sent out 4/16 said they anticipate issuing financial aid offers in mid-May.
Last edited:
Right. everyone’s different. I don’t think financial aid would have swayed my decision about where I committed + I would go to any of my waitlists no matter the cost.This is similar to the reason why I am hanging on to my spot. Though I will likely give up my acceptance for another program, I want to wait as long as I can for financial reasons. I will likely give up my A on 4/29 if I do not receive information by that point.
happyfeet16
Full Member
For ppl watching turnover, IS A off of WL yesterday, but I'm committing elsewhere so I'll be letting NEOMED know today or tmw! GL everyone, seems like As come super late here so don't lose hope if you're on the WL! 😊
leglesslobster4
Full Member
are people who interviewed earlier in the cycle more likely to come off of the AL first? or did they rank everyone on the AL after finishing interviews and those spots are getting off first?
I have a feeling it’s a ranked system. I had my interview later in the cycle (2/29) and was one of the first to come off the AL in late March.are people who interviewed earlier in the cycle more likely to come off of the AL first? or did they rank everyone on the AL after finishing interviews and those spots are getting off first?
D
deleted1174679
Like ranked on gpa and mcat right ?I have a feeling it’s a ranked system. I had my interview later in the cycle (2/29) and was one of the first to come off the AL in late March.
They rank it using everything. Seems like those who have gotten off so far have been high stat/nontrad applicants either local to the area or at least Ohio natives. They will work their way down the list eventuallyLike ranked on gpa and mcat right ?
Yes exactly! Also keep in mind that waitlist movement is really just starting. It gains momentum after May 1st when candidates have to narrow their A's to one!!They rank it using everything. Seems like those who have gotten off so far have been high stat applicants either local to the area or at least Ohio natives. They will work their way down the list eventually
saltypapaya
Full Member
I agree that it’s not based on when you interviewed because I interviewed mid-cycle I wanna say in November or December? And I just got off AL yesterdayare people who interviewed earlier in the cycle more likely to come off of the AL first? or did they rank everyone on the AL after finishing interviews and those spots are getting off first?
saltypapaya
Full Member
Also for anyone else who might be wondering about this, I spoke with an AMCAS rep today and they said we needed to weed is down to 3 acceptances by 4/15 but between 4/15 and 4/30 there are no protocols, so we can keep any acceptances we have in this two week timeframe until the 30th when we decide on our one top choiceyou narrow it down as you get more acceptances to keep 3 at a time
I am on the AL for this school and another one, yet nothing is showing up on AMCAS as far as CYMS. Is this normal?
saltypapaya
Full Member
It showed up for me as alternate list on CYMSI am on the AL for this school and another one, yet nothing is showing up on AMCAS as far as CYMS. Is this normal?
saltypapaya
Full Member
Idk if AMCAS or the NEOMED admissions office would be the better place to call, but I would probably call somewhere just to make sureShould I call AMCAS?
It looks like the tool will only show up in an acceptance is rendered, since I don’t have an A yet I can’t view itIt showed up for me as alternate list on CYMS
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
saltypapaya
Full Member
Ohhh are you saying both your AL schools aren’t showing up? Because I’m pretty CYMS doesn’t show up until you get an acceptance but I’m not positiveIdk if AMCAS or the NEOMED admissions office would be the better place to call, but I would probably call somewhere just to make sure
All of my AL show on CYMSOhhh are you saying both your AL schools aren’t showing up? Because I’m pretty CYMS doesn’t show up until you get an acceptance but I’m not positive
D
deleted1174679
Does it mean anything if mine doesn’t show ?All of my AL show on CYMS
its just because we dont have MD acceptances yetDoes it mean anything if mine doesn’t show ?
D
deleted1174679
I am hoping I get an A before I visit them on the 26th. 🙂Yeah it doesn’t show till you have an MD A. They probably aren’t sending any more As until May we just gotta chill till then
I am OOS
You and me both!I am hoping I get an A before I visit them on the 26th. 🙂
I am OOS
D
deleted1174679
Counting down to May 1st!!!!
hopefulphysiciansoon
Full Member
Another email today about the Masters program, has anyone been accepted to the MD program today?
did your email make you fill out a survey to express continued interest in remaining on the alternate list?
leglesslobster4
Full Member
that's what mine was, as well as expressing interest in some of their Masters programsdid your email make you fill out a survey to express continued interest in remaining on the alternate list?
Can any current students comment on the Step 1 pass rate from the previous year (2023)? I saw that the Step 1 pass rate from 2022 was 84% which is a downward trend and have heard a rumor that almost 1/3 of students failed Step 1 in 2023. Obviously just a rumor and don't want to stir the pot but just curious as my interview is next week!
Just to debunk this: Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED) - Performance Analytics - Envisio
D
deleted1174679
I think they want to narrow down the list by clearly asking if you want to remain on the AL. Most people are probably choosing other schools.did your email make you fill out a survey to express continued interest in remaining on the alternate list?
cmd0056
Full Member
That would make senseI think they want to narrow down the list by clearly asking if you want to remain on the AL. Most people are probably choosing other schools.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Came across this on NEOMEDs website which seems relevant to this conversation:There’s no way this is true, i personally have several friends with above average stats not make it off the AL last year as IS applicants
D
deleted1174679
Hopefully some OOSjust a theory but feel like they’re gonna send out decisions on Wednesdays
This may include the X amount of students funneling in from the various pipeline programsCame across this on NEOMEDs website which seems relevant to this conversation:
hopefulphysiciansoon
Full Member
will be withdrawing from AL, ive been accepted elsewhere 🙂
D
deleted1174679
Good luck to you! 😃will be withdrawing from AL, ive been accepted elsewhere 🙂