You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2023-2024 Pennsylvania State
Started by chilly_md
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
is anyone taking question 10 as an optional question? the one that asks about any unique aspect of your application
It would say optional if it were optional. Tell them how you're unique!is anyone taking question 10 as an optional question? the one that asks about any unique aspect of your application
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took it as a diversity question.is anyone taking question 10 as an optional question? the one that asks about any unique aspect of your application
gotcha. I was just wondering since the character count is so shortIt would say optional if it were optional. Tell them how you're unique!
I decided to check my status today and realized that I didn't write a description for the competencies in the prerequisite section. Should I contact admissions and ask if they need me to fill that information or do you think it's unnecessary?
The portal says: "For each area listed indicate how the competency was acquired and provide a brief explanation for experiences/activities if appropriate"
I checked off the boxes that said "courses listed on the transcript" but I'm not sure if that's enough. I would really appreciate any feedback!
The portal says: "For each area listed indicate how the competency was acquired and provide a brief explanation for experiences/activities if appropriate"
I checked off the boxes that said "courses listed on the transcript" but I'm not sure if that's enough. I would really appreciate any feedback!
D
deleted1150307
I did the same thing too, I now wonder if it is necessary. I thought the description was more for if you checked off the "other experiences/ activities" I do not think we need to describe it if it is the transcript. The prompt also says "if appropriate" so the brief explanation would not necessarily be for a course (unless you want to describe the course content). I think it is more so for when you only have an activity but missing a course they give us space to clarify how that may work instead/ meet their requirements.I decided to check my status today and realized that I didn't write a description for the competencies in the prerequisite section. Should I contact admissions and ask if they need me to fill that information or do you think it's unnecessary?
The portal says: "For each area listed indicate how the competency was acquired and provide a brief explanation for experiences/activities if appropriate"
I checked off the boxes that said "courses listed on the transcript" but I'm not sure if that's enough. I would really appreciate any feedback!
Does it even show a description box if you only clicked the transcript one? I can not remember but maybe it does not even show it unless you check the activity. I would not personally worry about it especially if you have all your pre-req courses taken.
That's exactly how I interpreted it the first time. I assumed that because I fulfilled all my pre-reqs through my college classes, checking the transcript box would be enough. I'm not sure but I think there was an optional box to write a brief description if you selected the transcript. But I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who saw things similarly and I think you're right that it won't be necessary to reach out to admissions. Tysm!I did the same thing too, I now wonder if it is necessary. I thought the description was more for if you checked off the "other experiences/ activities" I do not think we need to describe it if it is the transcript. The prompt also says "if appropriate" so the brief explanation would not necessarily be for a course (unless you want to describe the course content). I think it is more so for when you only have an activity but missing a course they give us space to clarify how that may work instead/ meet their requirements.
Does it even show a description box if you only clicked the transcript one? I can not remember but maybe it does not even show it unless you check the activity. I would not personally worry about it especially if you have all your pre-req courses taken.
D
deleted1167714
Is Penn State OOS-friendly to applicants with MCAT's a few points above its average?
yes its not public so more than half its class is OOS, you can see the breakdown on MSARIs Penn State OOS-friendly to applicants with MCAT's a few points above its average?
maindoctor42
Full Member
Was thinking more about PSU and decided to add it to my AMCAS school list today... you guys think I wasted my money by submitting now? Read a post that said, you only know that you won't get in if you don't submit - trying to have that mentality! LM 74.5. Good luck to you all!
definitely not too late, they haven't even started sending IIs yetWas thinking more about PSU and decided to add it to my AMCAS school list today... you guys think I wasted my money by submitting now? Read a post that said, you only know that you won't get in if you don't submit - trying to have that mentality! LM 74.5. Good luck to you all!
IF I didn't get a committee letter because I wanted individual letters from my PI and a professor outside of the committee (BUT I got one from my advisor who would normally write the committee letter). Should I even apply to Penn State? It seems they REALLY want that committee letter if it's offered. Was going to add it to my list but now thinking I can't.
in the secondary you just had to explain why you don't have one. I'd still applyIF I didn't get a committee letter because I wanted individual letters from my PI and a professor outside of the committee (BUT I got one from my advisor who would normally write the committee letter). Should I even apply to Penn State? It seems they REALLY want that committee letter if it's offered. Was going to add it to my list but now thinking I can't.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
diamond82q
Full Member
does anyone have info on the university park program? don't really know what makes it unique
D
deleted1150307
Maybe you saw this already but on the website, they have a very detailed series of 5 information sessions virtually specifically for the UP programdoes anyone have info on the university park program? don't really know what makes it unique
MD Program - University Park Campus | Medical Education at UP
Penn State College of Medicine has a tradition of excellence in education that is scientifically and clinically rigorous with a deep foundation in sch...
the grad school question. i took random classes but decided not to get a degree or certificate. should I explain this to Adcom?
I've emailed them twice with no response. I'm also nontrad and do not have a non sci letter and have no way of obtaining one that is actually genuine. My volunteer coordinators have a strict policy of not writing letters. At best, I could ask my PI's admin but that's a stretch. Tbh, this could be their way of saying they don't like nontradsHas anyone heard back from admissions on LOR requirements? I’m three years out of undergrad and only have one sci and one non sci letters. Plus a letter from a volunteer coordinator and one from an MD I was an MA for.
That’s a strange policy for your volunteer coordinators.I've emailed them twice with no response. I'm also nontrad and do not have a non sci letter and have no way of obtaining one that is actually genuine. My volunteer coordinators have a strict policy of not writing letters. At best, I could ask my PI's admin but that's a stretch. Tbh, this could be their way of saying they don't like nontrads
The hospital I work at has a very large number of undergrad prehealth volunteers from the associated university so the policy was put in place so that volunteers aren't just there for a quick easy letter of recThat’s a strange policy for your volunteer coordinators.
I mean they're volunteering their time for free so getting a letter of rec out of there doesn't seem unreasonable. It would make more sense that the Letter of Rec just requires some sort of minimum amount of hours dedicated to the program.The hospital I work at has a very large number of undergrad prehealth volunteers from the associated university so the policy was put in place so that volunteers aren't just there for a quick easy letter of rec
I got an email back. They said my LOR’s would be fine.Has anyone heard back from admissions on LOR requirements? I’m three years out of undergrad and only have one sci and one non sci letters. Plus a letter from a volunteer coordinator and one from an MD I was an MA for.
I really want to reiterate this point. I feel like there are more non-trads than not in my class, and I promise the office will make every reasonable accommodation.I got an email back. They said my LOR’s would be fine.
However, also recognize the entire PSCOM Admissions team is swamped with hundreds of people asking very specific questions. Please give them time and grace to answer!
D
deleted1165389
when should we expect interviews
MmMozzarella
New Member
II received!! IS, complete 7/19
helloworld172
Full Member
Woah, first one! Congrats!!II received!! IS, complete 7/19
madamemichaelscott
Full Member
Congratssss!! When are the interview dates, if you don't mind me asking?II received!! IS, complete 7/19
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MmMozzarella
New Member
Thank you!! 🙂Woah, first one! Congrats!!
MmMozzarella
New Member
Next week (9/11, 9/13)! Trying to mentally prepare hahaCongratssss!! When are the interview dates, if you don't mind me asking?
Neur-out-of-my-mind
Full Member
Wow at least they don't give you too much time to stress about it. Congratulations and best of luck!Next week (9/11, 9/13)! Trying to mentally prepare haha
D
deleted1165389
Stats?II received!! IS, complete 7/19
MmMozzarella
New Member
Average MCAT and gpa for Penn State. I think it was more my EC's in the humanities that got me the II!Stats?
Last edited:
D
deleted897250
II today! OS, LM 70, complete 8/27.
D
deleted897250
Do we know if the interview is open or closed file? What has it been in the past?
AnonMD5000!
Full Member
Might be here: https://students-residents.aamc.org/system/files/2023-07/MSAR_Interview_Procedures_07.18.23.pdfDo we know if the interview is open or closed file? What has it been in the past?
Yatuchavez
Full Member
Does anyone know if they send their secondary to all applicants ?
Does anyone know if they send their secondary to all applicants ?
It’s sent to everyone
DoctorBrownie
Full Member
II receiveddd 9/9, OOS, Complete 8/21
Do you mind sharing your status?II receiveddd 9/9, OOS, Complete 8/21
Are you IS or OOS?II received, completed 7/23
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MambaDoc
Full Member
I am CA ORM, so OOS.Are you IS or OOS?
OOS II
Complete 7/11
Complete 7/11
DoctorBrownie
Full Member
LM 69.70Do you mind sharing your status?
UserNameIsTitan
Full Member
Has anyone had any luck actually scheduling their interview? Went in to schedule today and it's showing no available dates all the way through next July...
EDIT: never mind, it seems to have been resolved!
EDIT: never mind, it seems to have been resolved!
Last edited: