2023-2024 Stanford

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else having trouble uploading their photo? Also, what is with the "neutral expression" passport photos-- I smile in like every picture 😭
 
Anyone else having trouble uploading their photo? Also, what is with the "neutral expression" passport photos-- I smile in like every picture 😭
Maybe I'm misreading but you can smile right? It just says to make sure your eyes are visible and your mouth is closed, so like a non-grinning smile
 
Maybe I'm misreading but you can smile right? It just says to make sure your eyes are visible and your mouth is closed, so like a non-grinning smile
The link with the “digital specifications” said a neutral expression, which I thought meant not smiling, but maybe as long as your mouth is closed it’s fine? I always show teeth when smiling though, so I would’ve had to retake my pic anyway 😅
 
The link with the “digital specifications” said a neutral expression, which I thought meant not smiling, but maybe as long as your mouth is closed it’s fine? I always show teeth when smiling though, so I would’ve had to retake my pic anyway 😅
wait I didn't read this far into it and just uploaded a picture of me smiling that I already had... do I need to re-upload or do something about this?
 
wait I didn't read this far into it and just uploaded a picture of me smiling that I already had... do I need to re-upload or do something about this?
Honestly no clue how strict they’ll be with this… They didn’t make the page that was linked, so maybe they care more about the format than the expression? I say better safe than sorry though
 
Honestly no clue how strict they’ll be with this… They didn’t make the page that was linked, so maybe they care more about the format than the expression? I say better safe than sorry though
Hm I can't change the picture I uploaded though. Should I just email the admissions department with another photo?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haven't received anything from Stanford but is anyone struck by how odd this requirement of "neutral expression" is? lol
i haven’t received anything either but i wonder if it’s their attempt to reduce bias? like if people would be biased in favor of someone smiling vs not smiling, they’re trying to counteract that by providing everyone the same instructions. but it seems like such a small thing
 
i haven’t received anything either but i wonder if it’s their attempt to reduce bias? like if people would be biased in favor of someone smiling vs not smiling, they’re trying to counteract that by providing everyone the same instructions. but it seems like such a small thing
Yk a career in medicine is stressing you out when someone smiling is all it takes for you to become super biased in favor of them ☠️
 
Yeah I was thinking about this, but its not like a neutral expression would take away from someone's pretty privilege or reduce the "halo" effect since attractive people are attractive regardless of their facial expression
I honestly think they cared more about the format of the photo than the actual expression and it was just easier to use the gov passport site than type up all of the requirements... I did the "neutral expression" just to be safe, but I doubt not following that point is a deal breaker
 
Yeah I was thinking about this, but its not like a neutral expression would take away from someone's pretty privilege or reduce the "halo" effect since attractive people are attractive regardless of their facial expression
adding attractiveness and hinge elo along with completion date and stats to the questions to ask people when they get IIs/As
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad