You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2024-2025 UC San Francisco
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
matchauser
New Member
+1 IS 🙂
+1 IS Secondary
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SushiSphinx
Full Member
I submitted 6/4 and was verified 7/2when did you submit?
Are 2024 graduates answering this prompt?
If you are 2023 or earlier college graduate, please use the space below to tell us what you have done since completing your undergraduate degree.
Not sure if "2023" is a typo...
If you are 2023 or earlier college graduate, please use the space below to tell us what you have done since completing your undergraduate degree.
Not sure if "2023" is a typo...
averagepremed0101
MD Class of 2029
Someone emailed them and posted a response in this forum, they meant 2023, not 2024Are 2024 graduates answering this prompt?
If you are 2023 or earlier college graduate, please use the space below to tell us what you have done since completing your undergraduate degree.
Not sure if "2023" is a typo...
Would it be a red flag if I incorporate my gap year activities in another essay as a 2024 graduate? I'm working at UCSF for my gap year, so I wanted to emphasize this tie in my secondary. Does anyone have any advice 🙂
premedwhoopss
Full Member
I know an IS applicant last year who got verified 6/15, ties to UCSF, and got their secondary on 8/18!
+1 OOS on 8/5! Verified 7/17
stellarjay
Full Member
+1 IS on 8/6!
gudeggtama
Full Member
i added them about a week before this and havent gotten anything yetdid anyone get a secondary if their primary was sent around 7/23
solarflare1230
Full Member
Does anyone know if you have to be admitted to regular MD first to be considered for SJV-PRIME?
+1 OOS secondary today, verified 5/28, I guess they finally got to me
Agape_ornis
Full Member
+oos secondary 8/6
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looks like UCSF is finally picking up on secondaries.
goodbob
Full Member
I am reapplicant OOS and I just received itDoes anyone know if they screen out re-applicants? I had a secondary by this time last year but nothing now 🙁
Agape_ornis
Full Member
If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (Max 500 words)
Can I use this question to discuss my new activities since I graduated in 2024? I can't write about them in the gap prompt.
Can I use this question to discuss my new activities since I graduated in 2024? I can't write about them in the gap prompt.
solarflare1230
Full Member
Additional question: can we discuss an activity we didn't mention in the primary since there was no space?If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (Max 500 words)
Can I use this question to discuss my new activities since I graduated in 2024? I can't write about them in the gap prompt.
solarflare1230
Full Member
Did you or anyone else ever figure out the answer to this 😭If I do not identify as a part of a marginalized group, should my whole answer just be "No"?
if you dont identify as part of any marginalized group then I am not sure what else you can say other than "no" lolDid you or anyone else ever figure out the answer to this 😭
solarflare1230
Full Member
I mean I am from a marginalized community but frankly I've been lucky enough to not have struggled for access to education or healthcare so maybe I'll just write a sentence admitting that idkif you dont identify as part of any marginalized group then I am not sure what else you can say other than "no" lol
Did you or anyone else ever figure out the answer to this 😭
None of the questions are mandatory so you could also maybe leave it blank? But I'm also in a similar spot, I haven't really felt the effects of marginalization in terms of access to education/healthcare, so I put no for the other UC schools that had the Y/N option, but I guess here I might just write a quick sentence or twoI mean I am from a marginalized community but frankly I've been lucky enough to not have struggled for access to education or healthcare so maybe I'll just write a sentence admitting that idk
Just because you cant think of any specific ways your identity has marginalized you doesnt mean that you cant speak to the ways marginalization and discrimination impact your community.I mean I am from a marginalized community but frankly I've been lucky enough to not have struggled for access to education or healthcare so maybe I'll just write a sentence admitting that idk
Last edited:
The prompt says "...marginalized socioeconomically OR in terms of access to quality education and healthcare". If you fall into one of those two buckets think about how you could talk about it.I mean I am from a marginalized community but frankly I've been lucky enough to not have struggled for access to education or healthcare so maybe I'll just write a sentence admitting that idk
SushiSphinx
Full Member
Not me writing this exact same essay lolJust because you cant think of any specific ways your identity has marginalized you doesnt mean that you cant speak to the ways marginalization and discrimination impact your community.
For example I spoke about how I am bisexual but in a heterosexual relationship. While I am "straight passing" and do not face much discrimination I recognize my privilege in that and how other member's of my community do not have the luxury of blending in like me. I then further elaborated on the barriers to healthcare access and discrimination many members of my community face and how I can use the skills I learn in medical school to better support my community
hifromvenus
Full Member
finally got a secondary! IS and LM: 67
sam2029
Full Member
When did you get verified?finally got a secondary! IS and LM: 67
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got my UCSF Secondary and I'm a little confused by the program selection. It says, "Select the programs for which you want to apply," but only lets you pick one option. I want to do the JMP, but if I get rejected from this, do I get considered for regular MD instead or just flat out rejected?
Any IS still haven’t received a secondary?
I haven’t gotten it.
Same
Hi,
This question seems to have been asked multiple times but with no answer. If you apply to the JMP program with UC Berkeley, are you still considered for the regular UCSF MD? Like if I don't get accepted to JMP can I still get into the 4 year MD program?
Thanks
This question seems to have been asked multiple times but with no answer. If you apply to the JMP program with UC Berkeley, are you still considered for the regular UCSF MD? Like if I don't get accepted to JMP can I still get into the 4 year MD program?
Thanks
matchauser
New Member
If I understood this website correctly, it sounds like you could be admitted to both the JMP and MD programs and have to choose between them: "Panel are separate from those of the School of Medicine, and applicants offered admission to both the Joint Medical Program and the School of Medicine at UCSF are required to choose between them."Hi,
This question seems to have been asked multiple times but with no answer. If you apply to the JMP program with UC Berkeley, are you still considered for the regular UCSF MD? Like if I don't get accepted to JMP can I still get into the 4 year MD program?
Thanks
If you haven't yet, probably should confirm this information with them.
Source: JMP Admissions and Financial Information
solarflare1230
Full Member
But that's not what it's asking, though, right? It explicitly asks if you identify with a marginalized group and THEN asks you to elaborate on its impact on you and your community.Just because you cant think of any specific ways your identity has marginalized you doesnt mean that you cant speak to the ways marginalization and discrimination impact your community.
I don't want to answer this question if they don't want me to but Im scared it would be a red flag if I left it blank
It literally does though. It asks how being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare affects you AND your community.But that's not what it's asking, though, right? It explicitly asks if you identify with a marginalized group and THEN asks you to elaborate on its impact on you and your community.
I don't want to answer this question if they don't want me to but Im scared it would be a red flag if I left it blank
Maybe you feel your identity hasn’t affected you as much, that is valid. Speak towards your privilege. The question also asks you how it affects your broader community. I am not sure where the confusion is?
If you don’t have anything you want to say it is ok to leave it blank. I do think it might be worth sitting down and doing some self reflection though. Maybe try talking to someone you trust to talk through this question. I dont know you but I am sure what you have to say is valid and important
Last edited:
solarflare1230
Full Member
Maybe someone else can chime in and give their thoughts. Either my reading comprehension is cooked or they are literally asking if you’re part of a marginalized group or not:It literally does though. It asks how being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare affects you AND your community.
Maybe you feel your identity hasn’t affected you as much, that is valid. Speak towards your privilege. The question also asks you how it affects your broader community. I am not sure where the confusion is?
If you don’t have anything you want to say it is ok to leave it blank. I do think it might be worth sitting down and doing some self reflection though. Maybe try talking to someone you trust to talk through this question. I dont know you but I am sure what you have to say is valid and important
Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? Please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community.
Just generally, how could one answer how being marginalized affects them if they said they aren’t part of a marginalized group ?
solarflare1230
Full Member
Really appreciate your input! I’ll most likely respond to the promptagree with your take - to me, it’s clear that the “community” part should only be addressed if you yourself identify with a marginalized group
if they wanted to read an essay about health inequities/sdoh, they would ask for it directly
imo, it comes across as a bit tone-deaf to respond to this question if you don’t identify as marginalized, but just my 2c
edit: just read your previous comments - i think in your case it would be appropriate to talk about. even if you haven’t necessarily faced the same challenges as the marginalized community you identify with, i think the fact that you’re a part of that community in the first place warrants some kind of reflection on what that experience has meant to you! doesn’t have to be profound, but maybe that identity has shaped your understanding of healthcare/your goals within medicine? just some thoughts
dimplesage
Full Member
I didn't answer the question for that reason. I feel like it's fine to answer the question if you do identify with a marginalized group, but otherwise, it seemed disingenuous to answerBut that's not what it's asking, though, right? It explicitly asks if you identify with a marginalized group and THEN asks you to elaborate on its impact on you and your community.
I don't want to answer this question if they don't want me to but Im scared it would be a red flag if I left it blank
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same here, OOS. Last one leftNo secondary here!
I am sorry I thought you said in this reply you identify as a marginalized groupMaybe someone else can chime in and give their thoughts. Either my reading comprehension is cooked or they are literally asking if you’re part of a marginalized group or not:
Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? Please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community.
Just generally, how could one answer how being marginalized affects them if they said they aren’t part of a marginalized group ?
I mean I am from a marginalized community but frankly I've been lucky enough to not have struggled for access to education or healthcare so maybe I'll just write a sentence admitting that idk
Obviously if you aren’t a marginalized group then you don’t have anything to say, but since you identify as a person from a marginalized community you can legitimately say something here
Again if you don’t want to answer this question, don’t. But if you can acknowledge the struggles your community faces and show how helping to address those issues connects to your why doctor while acknowledging your privilege of access to healthcare and education I think it could be a great response
Last edited:
If I got verified early June but waited for my MCAT score late July, should I assume they havent gotten to my app to offer a secondary because tech I wasnt complete til the end of July 🧍♀️(ucla gave me one the same day my score came out)
solarflare1230
Full Member
Sorry! I misspoke when I wrote that. I meant to say that I live in an area that is generally marginalized (rural and underserved), but I myself have not experienced direct hardships in attaining healthcare or education due to being relatively fortunate in my upbringingI am sorry I thought you said in this reply you identify as a marginalized group
Obviously if you aren’t a marginalized group then you don’t have anything to say, but since you identify as a person from a marginalized community you can legitimately say something here
Again if you don’t want to answer this question, don’t. But if you can acknowledge the struggles your community faces and show how helping to address those issues connects to your why doctor while acknowledging your privilege of access to healthcare and education I think it could be a great response
I'm not too sure if location and opportunities are worth mentioning
Last edited:
I might add a sentence or two there, but I'm planning on putting "Why UCSF" in the first question on expanding on activities.Are you guys including a bit about UCSF's specific programs and curriculum in the PRIDE values question? Or is that not appropriate for this prompt