You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2024-2025 UC San Francisco
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
OOS 2° just now [emoji23], verified May 31st. Thought they wouldnt send me one. Literally on my way to the airport to go on vacay now, glad my neurotic ass brought my computer.
Yay
Yay
same ^OOS secondary received just now, LM 78 and primary sent 5/28
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
premedwhoopss
Full Member
I didn’t answer it but I was able to answer the two other optional questions so didn’t feel I had much more to sayI mentioned my gap year job (wasn't in my primary) and then transitioned to "Why UCSF?"
+1 OOS!
Glycobio3612
New Member
+1 IS secondary. Verified 8/13
MikeTrout27
Full Member
I expanded on my research since I felt like I couldn't talk about it enough in my primary or in the most meaningfulHow is everyone responding to the secondary question about activities updates/expansion?
Hyun Chong
Full Member
+1 OOS secondary today. Primary submitted 5/28
smollifter_bigbrain
New Member
+1 IS today. Verified 7/31 🙂
CharismaticTypist
Full Member
+1 IS at 8:35am PT today. Verified 5/30, CA ORM with LM 78. Good luck everyone! 😊
D
deleted1177265
2024-2025 UC San Francisco Secondary Essay Prompts:
Interview information:
Applicants are interviewed by invitation only. Interviews are scheduled from October to mid-February (days vary). For the 2024-25 interview season, we will conduct interviews via zoom.
If you will be out of the country - provide additional info below (e.g. dates, best way to contact, etc.) (300 characters)
Additional Information:
1. If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 words)
2. If you are 2023 or earlier college graduate, please use the space below to tell us what you have done since completing your undergraduate degree. (350 words)
3. Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? Please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community. (500 words)
4. UCSF PRIDE values serve as a guiding light for institutional life and activities. Briefly describe how you will contribute and support one of our PRIDE values that is consistent with your goals or life experience. (500 words)
(Link to UCSF PRIDE) PRIDE Values | Office of Diversity and Outreach UCSF
Good luck to all applying!
Interview Feedback:
![]()
University of California San Francisco School of Medicine Admissions, Tuition & Student Feedback | SDN
Admissions data, tuition, degrees, location, interview feedback, essay prompts, and SDN forum links for UCSF-SOM on SDN Schools Database.www.studentdoctor.net
[mention]wysdoc [/mention]Question 3 about marginalized communities is actually 350 words, not 500. I can DM you a screenshot for verification, if helpful.
Thanks, will update it[mention]wysdoc [/mention]Question 3 about marginalized communities is actually 350 words, not 500. I can DM you a screenshot for verification, if helpful.
D
deleted1167911
Haven’t gotten a secondary yet and OOS, is it safe to say it’s over?
PreMedNeurotic
Full Member
Nah theres a good amount of time left, patience is key my friendHaven’t gotten a secondary yet and OOS, is it safe to say it’s over?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is that Y-axis?
Hi! It's log scale. We originally had a linear scale, but the reason we ended up switching to a log scale is to allow smaller numbers to be seen among the larger numbers. In a linear scale, the few interviews sent out on a day would be very hard to see because of the high number of secondaries that get sent out on a limited number of days. (In fact, the scale actually does depend on which school you look at. It switches to log scale when the numbers are higher, and maintains linear scale if numbers are lower)I have no idea why CycleTrack does such a weird Y-axis. Never been a fan of it...
Happy to take suggestions if you think there's a better approach!
+1 OOS secondary received today. LM 75, submitted 7/1
I applied to all the other UC's and got secondaries, but I am thinking I should just send my primary to UCSF as maybe a barometer of my chances overall.
Yesss!+1 OOS secondary too
aKidCanDream23
Full Member
+1 OOS Secondary - anyone know how many people get a secondary of all the applications? Also, I guess they don't review LORs before sending a secondary based on the email I got.
Any INTL got a secondary?
IS secondary this morning, submitted the second day.
35-40% based on previous numbers they have published!+1 OOS Secondary - anyone know how many people get a secondary of all the applications? Also, I guess they don't review LORs before sending a secondary based on the email I got.
It’s certainly a competitive screen 🙂
Last edited:
BlessTheMakerAndHisWater
Full Member
Do you know if they only use GPA/MCAT metrics for this screening?35-40% based on previous numbers they have published!
It’s certainly a competitive screen 🙂
scientistabc
Full Member
anyone know how long ucsf usually takes for ii after submitting secondary?
Cycle track says last year the first iis went out 9/22anyone know how long ucsf usually takes for ii after submitting secondary?
matted_chinchilla
Full Member
Does anyone know what percent of applicants get a secondary?
matted_chinchilla
Full Member
I didn't have any issues, said it was good right away. However, mine said they didn't have my LORs until I fully submitted everything even though they did and it was dated as they did the whole time once I submitted. See if it shows up on your bank account before you try again or contact them.Is anyone having an issue with the secondary payment? I paid and didn't use the back button to return to the portal, but it's still showing that I haven't paid yet. Should I just wait for it to update? A bit nervous since my two week deadline is coming up soon
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know what percent of applicants get a secondary?
35-40% based on previous numbers they have published!
It’s certainly a competitive screen 🙂
only current activities & plans (follow the directions 😉)For the first question (If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below.) -- would y'all talk about a bad semester/low GPA here? or only current activities and plans?
FlaptavianBird
Full Member
I don’t think this is clear though. It doesn’t specify that the activities have to be current. I expanded on my research, which yes is current but has been ongoing for several yearsonly current activities & plans (follow the directions 😉)
It’s completely up to you what to write about, but could use this opportunity to point out some positives or some progress, rather than drawing attention to a low point. Maybe you already explained that tough semester elsewhereI don’t think this is clear though. It doesn’t specify that the activities have to be current. I expanded on my research, which yes is current but has been ongoing for several years
averagepremed0101
MD Class of 2029
I used it to describe a couple more patient stories at my current job and the ways I’ve been able to help people in more detail thereFor the first question (If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below.) -- would y'all talk about a bad semester/low GPA here? or only current activities and plans?
only current activities & plans (follow the directions 😉)
I expanded on an activity I had done in college (I had graduated at that point) and tied it into why UCSF and I got in last cycle. So I don’t think it has to be current. It’s just a space to write about anything else you feel you want to include
premedwhoopss
Full Member
do you think its necessary to write something in this space? I was able to answer the other optional questions and didnt feel that I had much to elaborate on for my activities but now rethinking not filling it out 😵I expanded on an activity I had done in college (I had graduated at that point) and tied it into why UCSF and I got in last cycle. So I don’t think it has to be current. It’s just a space to write about anything else you feel you want to include
averagepremed0101
MD Class of 2029
No, someone earlier said they contacted the office and they meant 2023, not 2024.Do we think that the "If you are 2023 or earlier college graduate, please use....' is a typo and meant to say 2024, asking about gap year plans?
Splogies
Full Member
Overlooked that, my bad. Thank you!No, someone earlier said they contacted the office and they meant 2023, not 2024.
Checking in on my no secondaries yet gang 😎
meticulousex36
Full Member
Checking in on my no secondaries yet gang 😎
We out here [emoji41] (verified 7/3, LM 81.4)
Damn, you have giga-chad stats and no secondary?We out here [emoji41] (verified 7/3, LM 81.4)
meticulousex36
Full Member
Damn, you have giga-chad stats and no secondary?
LOL yeahhhhh… I am leaning heavily on MrMacrophage’s positivity at this point [emoji23]
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
GOAT of last cycle returns - good luck with M1!
Thank you!
do you think its necessary to write something in this space? I was able to answer the other optional questions and didnt feel that I had much to elaborate on for my activities but now rethinking not filling it out 😵
If you truly have nothing to add, then it’ll be better leaving it blank than writing something subpar or not true to you. But if you can think of something to help bring your app together or to emphasize why your application aligns with ucsf then I would fill it out.
premedwhoopss
Full Member
Thank you! alas I already submitted lol this was me rethinking my choices but hopefully not filling this space out isn't make or break 🤞If you truly have nothing to add, then it’ll be better leaving it blank than writing something subpar or not true to you. But if you can think of something to help bring your app together or to emphasize why your application aligns with ucsf then I would fill it out.
+1 IS Secondary! Verified 07/18
meticulousex36
Full Member
+1 OOS secondary today 🙂 (7/3, 81.4)