2024-2025 UC San Francisco

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Everyone seriously consider other options if accepted here. I’m an MS4 applying rn. It’s not worth it unless you are MSTP. you have a much higher than expected chance of not matching your desired specialty for many reasons if you come here. Or ignore this as many (including I) have done before at your own peril. Good luck my friends.

Could you explain more?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everyone seriously consider other options if accepted here. I’m an MS4 applying rn. It’s not worth it unless you are MSTP. you have a much higher than expected chance of not matching your desired specialty for many reasons if you come here. Or ignore this as many (including I) have done before at your own peril. Good luck my friends.

Didn’t they just have 167/173 students match this year?
 
Everyone seriously consider other options if accepted here. I’m an MS4 applying rn. It’s not worth it unless you are MSTP. you have a much higher than expected chance of not matching your desired specialty for many reasons if you come here. Or ignore this as many (including I) have done before at your own peril. Good luck my friends.
I appreciate your intent to warn others about potential challenges at UCSF, and I can understand where your concerns are coming from. However, I’ve noticed that your post history suggests a broader dissatisfaction with the medical field itself, not just with this institution.

Back in 2022, for instance, you posted this, which includes "now most of you are probably motivated by the fat salaries attendings fetch" and "I do know that if I have kids someday I’m going to tell them to stay as far away from medicine as humanly possible." This makes me wonder if your concerns about UCSF are reflective of the institution itself, or of the medical field as a whole. UCSF is recognized as a leading medical school, and many students, more than essentially any other institution, successfully match into their desired specialties.

I empathize with you and your experiences of the toxicity of the medical field, and am deeply sorry you have had such negative experiences. However, we as applicants are already deep in the application cycle, and nearly all of us are fully committed to this endeavor. It is my hope that all of us find a school where we can thrive, and I worry that your comments might lead someone to overlook UCSF based on broader concerns that may not be representative of the institution itself.

Regardless, thank you for sharing your perspective.
 
ok sounds good, you should come here then. lol no good deed. Good luck once again. Why would I want to bad mouth my own school? 😂 if you like it then that’s fantastic. If you want to go into medicine, are MSTP, probably best med school ever. Otherwise just be careful, or come here it’s all good. Do your thing
I hope the match goes well for you. Your post history does appear to suggest that you are jaded.

What are the “many reasons” that make matching into your desired specialty so difficult at a top 5 school?

I have learned that just because you go to a T5, that doesn't give you a golden ticket to match into any specialty. You still have to work for it. Also, some people want to stay in the Ivory Tower and apply very top-heavy. You won't get into the top residency programs or get the most competitive programs just based on the name of your school alone. I think by virtue, a lot more students at top schools apply to competitive specialties, hence why you get some of these schools matching 10+ Derm or Ortho. Anecdotally, when students fail to match at places like HMS, Stanford, UCSF, Hopkins, etc, it's more likely to be those that applied either very top-heavy or to the most competitive specialties or a combination of these factors.
 
I hope the match goes well for you. Your post history does appear to suggest that you are jaded.



I have learned that just because you go to a T5, that doesn't give you a golden ticket to match into any specialty. You still have to work for it. Also, some people want to stay in the Ivory Tower and apply very top-heavy. You won't get into the top residency programs or get the most competitive programs just based on the name of your school alone. I think by virtue, a lot more students at top schools apply to competitive specialties, hence why you get some of these schools matching 10+ Derm or Ortho. Anecdotally, when students fail to match at places like HMS, Stanford, UCSF, Hopkins, etc, it's more likely to be those that applied either very top-heavy or to the most competitive specialties or a combination of these factors.
I agree. Again, I wish the best for everyone reading this and thank you for the well wishes.
 
I appreciate your intent to warn others about potential challenges at UCSF, and I can understand where your concerns are coming from. However, I’ve noticed that your post history suggests a broader dissatisfaction with the medical field itself, not just with this institution.

Back in 2022, for instance, you posted this, which includes "now most of you are probably motivated by the fat salaries attendings fetch" and "I do know that if I have kids someday I’m going to tell them to stay as far away from medicine as humanly possible." This makes me wonder if your concerns about UCSF are reflective of the institution itself, or of the medical field as a whole. UCSF is recognized as a leading medical school, and many students, more than essentially any other institution, successfully match into their desired specialties.

I empathize with you and your experiences of the toxicity of the medical field, and am deeply sorry you have had such negative experiences. However, we as applicants are already deep in the application cycle, and nearly all of us are fully committed to this endeavor. It is my hope that all of us find a school where we can thrive, and I worry that your comments might lead someone to overlook UCSF based on broader concerns that may not be representative of the institution itself.

Regardless, thank you for sharing your perspective.
This reads like a 4th quartile CASPer response - well done.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Tbh good question but it’s so common that there must be something in the water. My guesses
1) you are coddled in preclinical
2) clinical rotations reck students universally
3) board scores are national average
4) only medicine program likes home students
UCSF is awesome I feel so blessed to go here and honestly spoiled. I could go on and on about how much I have loved my experience. No school is perfect, but I say all the time, there is no better school for me than this one. It was my top choice during my app cycle and I would choose it again. All of you are brilliant and will excel at whatever school you choose. If we are lucky enough to have you here, I promise you will have a community full of people who are rooting for your success and will support you. You will still work your butt off but you will be okay I promise.
 
Last edited:
UCSF is awesome I feel so blessed to go here and honestly spoiled. I could go on and on about how much I have loved my experience. Please don’t listen to this person as they do not reflect UCSF at all. No school is perfect, but I say all the time, there is no better school for me than this one. It was my top choice during my app cycle and I would choose it again. All of you are brilliant and will excel at whatever school you choose. If we are lucky enough to have you here, I promise you will have a community full of people who are rooting for your success and will support you. You will still work your butt off but you will be okay I promise.
@starryshi not everyone experiences a place or a school in the same way.
You can share your opinion, as can others, without minimizing their experience or trying to say they're wrong.
 
@starryshi not everyone experiences a place or a school in the same way.
You can share your opinion, as can others, without minimizing their experience or trying to say they're wrong.
You’re right! Didn’t mean to minimize an experience and I apologize for that to the original commenter. Edited my response accordingly. Just wanted to add a more positive outlook!
 
Last edited:
congrats to everyone! does anyone know if they historically process secondaries in order or if it’s more random?

As someone who has been reviewing the last 4 years of SDN threads, I think it is random! I saw a few folks completed in August get it in October-Janurary
 
As someone who has been reviewing the last [emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]]] years of SDN threads, I think it is random! I saw a few folks completed in August get it in October-Janurary

awesome, keeps me sane a little while longer lol… thanks for the response!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad