You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2025-2026 UCLA (Geffen)
Started by chilly_md
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I am scheduled for a September preview exam with results coming out late October. I know this is terrible in regard to UCLA’s timeline, but I was wondering if anyone else has an experience like this?
Is it possible that they’ll send an interview invite before receiving your preview score? Or does it just need to be done by your interview date/before they consider your full application for acceptance?
Is it possible that they’ll send an interview invite before receiving your preview score? Or does it just need to be done by your interview date/before they consider your full application for acceptance?
first things first - celebrate getting the secondary and write itI am scheduled for a September preview exam with results coming out late October. I know this is terrible in regard to UCLA’s timeline, but I was wondering if anyone else has an experience like this?
Is it possible that they’ll send an interview invite before receiving your preview score? Or does it just need to be done by your interview date/before they consider your full application for acceptance?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your application is not complete without the score, so probably notIs it possible that they’ll send an interview invite before receiving your preview score? Or does it just need to be done by your interview date/before they consider your full application for acceptance?
premeddddd122
Full Member
I thought so as well but UCSD started sending interviews today so maybe UCLA is also starting a bit earlier this yearIdk no one has posted on SDN or Admit. Typically they start a bit later (like next week right?), and since so many still don't have secondaries, maybe it’s a false report?
Academicpilot
Full Member
I still have not received any update on primary or secondary. Primary was verified in early July, and nothing from UCLA. I took preview, and everything seems to be good on my end. Should I try calling them?
wembanyamafan
Full Member
UCLA screens based on stats + mission fit. I wouldn’t recommend calling because it might leave an impression that you are impatientI still have not received any update on primary or secondary. Primary was verified in early July, and nothing from UCLA. I took preview, and everything seems to be good on my end. Should I try calling them?
FuturePediatricNeurosurge
Probationary Status - Indefinitely
Do you believe you have any red flags that could prevent you from getting past a screen?I still have not received any update on primary or secondary. Primary was verified in early July, and nothing from UCLA. I took preview, and everything seems to be good on my end. Should I try calling them?
Whether or not they have red flags isn't the issue. UCLA screens heavily and some applicants will just not receive a secondary.Do you believe you have any red flags that could prevent you from getting past a screen?
I remembered you from Drexel's and unless you have a strong X factor, I don't know if your stats are going to get you past that initial screen. Do not reach out, if anything it will rub the the wrong way. Secondaries go out until the fall so just be patient and keep hoping for the best while finishing other schools.I still have not received any update on primary or secondary. Primary was verified in early July, and nothing from UCLA. I took preview, and everything seems to be good on my end. Should I try calling them?
premeddddd122
Full Member
@Academicpilot We have similar stats and I received a secondary, albeit I am in state but just wanted to say don’t feel discouraged, stats are not everything!Whether or not they have red flags isn't the issue. UCLA screens heavily and some applicants will just not receive a secondary.
I remembered you from Drexel's and unless you have a strong X factor, I don't know if your stats are going to get you past that initial screen. Do not reach out, if anything it will rub the the wrong way. Secondaries go out until the fall so just be patient and keep hoping for the best while finishing other schools.
JPace24
Healthcare Finance Bro by Day, Applicant by Night.
Now that's the spirit!@Academicpilot We have similar stats and I received a secondary, albeit I am in state but just wanted to say don’t feel discouraged, stats are not everything!
Probably EDI saw an interview reported on cycle track today, can anyone confirm interviews have started?
UCLA Geffen does not have an Early Decision application optionProbably ED
it won't be "complete" without the PREVIEW score inafter submitting the secondary, did folks receive an application complete email? I am missing my preview but everything else is in and no email application complete email was received
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Academicpilot
Full Member
I don't think so. Maybe the speed ticket I had to report. It was considered a minor misdemeanor in the state I was in.Do you believe you have any red flags that could prevent you from getting past a screen?
UCLA is notorious for screening out those with IAs, maybe the same is applying here? I know they're not the same thing but it's possible. Someone in the 2021-2022 thread said you could call them to force a manual review - don't know whether that is sound advice or not.I don't think so. Maybe the speed ticket I had to report. It was considered a minor misdemeanor in the state I was in.
+1 OOS II just now!
I take PREview tomorrow, so it was apparently not necessary for this stage.
I take PREview tomorrow, so it was apparently not necessary for this stage.
dblshotespressoplz
Full Member
no way congratz!!! i hope this wave of II reaches my inbox 🫣 when did u submit your secondary?+1 OOS II just now!
I take PREview tomorrow, so it was apparently not necessary for this stage.
no way congratz!!! i hope this wave of II reaches my inbox 🫣 when did u submit your secondary?
Thank you! I'm thrilled! I submitted my secondary on 7/10.
smoney1178
Full Member
LM score?! Any strong ties??+1 OOS II just now!
I take PREview tomorrow, so it was apparently not necessary for this stage.
FuturePediatricNeurosurge
Probationary Status - Indefinitely
+1 OOS II just now!
I take PREview tomorrow, so it was apparently not necessary for this stage.
LM score?! Any strong ties??
LM 64. No ties.
lolzlolzloz
Full Member
Still haven't received a secondary from UCLA...LM 78 OOS
If you have a IA they screen for that!Still haven't received a secondary from UCLA...LM 78 OOS
Yay congrats!!+1 OOS II just now!
I take PREview tomorrow, so it was apparently not necessary for this stage.
molecules2001!
Full Member
Def been random and slow this year…like I’ve received a secondary from all the other UCs I applied to but not UCLA. Just saying this because you aren’t alone and think there’s still a decent amount of applicants who are waiting!Still haven't received a secondary from UCLA...LM 78 OOS
+1 OOS Secondary
Sent primary yesterday, so I'm surprised it was this fast. Hoping it means my app isn't complete trash
Sent primary yesterday, so I'm surprised it was this fast. Hoping it means my app isn't complete trash
I also had a super fast turnaround! I have no idea what this means about their review process. Like do they have people reviewing around the clock? I would’ve expected at least a couple days minimum. Very interesting.+1 OOS Secondary
Sent primary yesterday, so I'm surprised it was this fast. Hoping it means my app isn't complete trash
It is an academic screening algorithm, sent out in waves (so I've been told)I also had a super fast turnaround! I have no idea what this means about their review process. Like do they have people reviewing around the clock? I would’ve expected at least a couple days minimum. Very interesting.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cheetos.smh
Full Member
Still haven't received a secondary (or an application received email) despite being verified early June. Does anyone know when UCLA sends out pre-secondary rejections?
biiigdreamer
New Member
Yes, they can and do send pre-secondary rejections. Some of the staff involved in admissions at UCLA have told me that "no news is good news." If you have not received an explicit rejection you're still in the running! Their process is just a lot slower because each app is holistically reviewed by [a] staff member(s).Still haven't received a secondary (or an application received email) despite being verified early June. Does anyone know when UCLA sends out pre-secondary rejections?
cheetos.smh
Full Member
Makes sense! I was just wondering since I didn’t get a “primary received” email, whether they even got my app or not. I’ll be patient hahaYes, they can and do send pre-secondary rejections. Some of the staff involved in admissions at UCLA have told me that "no news is good news." If you have not received an explicit rejection you're still in the running! Their process is just a lot slower because each app is holistically reviewed by [a] staff member(s).
premeddddd122
Full Member
I didn't get a primary received email but got secondaries so I think they just haven't been sending them out to everyone this yearMakes sense! I was just wondering since I didn’t get a “primary received” email, whether they even got my app or not. I’ll be patient haha
+1 OOS II MD LM 74 IM SO HAPPY I COULD CRY
D
deleted1216180
Congrats! When did you submit/were complete?+1 OOS II MD LM 74 IM SO HAPPY I COULD CRY
7/14!Congrats! When did you submit/were complete?
premedprincess214
New Member
getting nervous about not receiving a secondary yet 🙁
Doubt they would make that information public as they are currently battling multiple lawsuits at all education levels of the institution.Does anyone know if UCLA is still ultra holistic as it has been the past few years or whether they have changed their procedure for this cycle?
peepeepoopoopookie
Full Member
Should I give up on receiving a secondary? I received the IR email from them early July and have not heard since... Don't want to give up, but I also don't want to waste time pre-writing for them if I don't get a secondary
If you have other secondaries to write, get to them first. Pre-write only for UCs if you are done with schools that don't screen.Should I give up on receiving a secondary? I received the IR email from them early July and have not heard since... Don't want to give up, but I also don't want to waste time pre-writing for them if I don't get a secondary
earlier on this thread someone was saying "ucla weeds out based on pathway picks", im a bit confused what that means?
my app is super global health focused and i didnt realize there would be an option to apply for the global health equity pathway in the secondary itself. is it a red flag if i dont apply even if my app is super aligned with it?? just freaked out a bit because its 5 additional essays and i dont have a ton of time. but if it will put me at a disadvantage for not applying, i can suck it up and do it, i just dont know if they would be the best essays when i am feeling good about the other essays already
my app is super global health focused and i didnt realize there would be an option to apply for the global health equity pathway in the secondary itself. is it a red flag if i dont apply even if my app is super aligned with it?? just freaked out a bit because its 5 additional essays and i dont have a ton of time. but if it will put me at a disadvantage for not applying, i can suck it up and do it, i just dont know if they would be the best essays when i am feeling good about the other essays already
They don’t weed out in the traditional sense, but they have access to which pathways you’re applying and if you say global health is crucial to your future career it may look disingenuous to not apply. No idea if that impacts your overall application chances, that’s only something admissions knows and not something they’ll share.earlier on this thread someone was saying "ucla weeds out based on pathway picks", im a bit confused what that means?
earlier on this thread someone was saying "ucla weeds out based on pathway picks", im a bit confused what that means?
my app is super global health focused and i didnt realize there would be an option to apply for the global health equity pathway in the secondary itself. is it a red flag if i dont apply even if my app is super aligned with it?? just freaked out a bit because its 5 additional essays and i dont have a ton of time. but if it will put me at a disadvantage for not applying, i can suck it up and do it, i just dont know if they would be the best essays when i am feeling good about the other essays already
This probably doesn't help, but I applied PRIME and received a main MD pool II. I don't know if PRIME info is to come or if I've been passed on by them at this point, but UCLA had a lot of programs I would have been a strong fit for that I didn't apply to because I simply couldn't spend a full week on their secondary.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
gotcha, thanks for the replies! it does say at the top of the AMP page that "Your application will only be considered for the pathway if you receive an offer of admission to either the Traditional MD or Prime-LA program tracks.", so I think I'll just rapidly write these, do a once-over read, and submit lol
Hey, don't worry about it. We have other global health options here at DGSOM outside of the formal pathway. We also have the Global Health concentration, selective, and also clinical electives. You can also simply participate in global health-related things without a formal distinction/track. What's more important is that you can talk to what you've done before and what you wanna do about the future in your essays and coming interviews.earlier on this thread someone was saying "ucla weeds out based on pathway picks", im a bit confused what that means?
my app is super global health focused and i didnt realize there would be an option to apply for the global health equity pathway in the secondary itself. is it a red flag if i dont apply even if my app is super aligned with it?? just freaked out a bit because its 5 additional essays and i dont have a ton of time. but if it will put me at a disadvantage for not applying, i can suck it up and do it, i just dont know if they would be the best essays when i am feeling good about the other essays already
Medical Students | Global Health Program
Bagel Enjoyer
Full Member
Current student here! I also wanted to add that after you get an interview, they will let you apply to one pathway or switch the pathway you are applying to, and the selection process for the pathways happens quite a while after you are accepted. For global health, they even give you another opportunity to apply to be a pathway student a few months into M1. I would not worry about it too much!
Marker The Purple
New Member
i have a quick question about the decision process. i know DGSOM puts a big emphasis on holistic review but i'm still feeling a bit nervous about my upcoming interview since i'm on the lower end of stats (LM ~65). could anyone give insight on how much weight is put on stats vs interviews scores in the final decision? thanks!
Just put your best foot forward and put your absolute darndest into your upcoming interview. Fact of the matter is you got through the initial screening to get the interview and you deserve to be there as much as the next person.i have a quick question about the decision process. i know DGSOM puts a big emphasis on holistic review but i'm still feeling a bit nervous about my upcoming interview since i'm on the lower end of stats (LM ~65). could anyone give insight on how much weight is put on stats vs interviews scores in the final decision? thanks!
In terms of how much weight is put on stats vs interview scores, it's going to be a mix of both. I've always been told to think of it like a ladder. You can start off on a lower rung because you aren't as "impressive" on paper as someone else. Maybe you're an absolute rockstar during your interview and you score enough points to be on the highest rung. Someone who looks impressive on paper can start up higher, but maybe they bomb their interview because they just aren't as personable -- that'll drop them a few rungs or keep them where they started.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K