2025-2026 UCLA (Geffen)

Started by chilly_md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also still waiting for a secondary. OOS as well, but we were stationed in CA and almost all volunteer hours, post bac etc was done in CA.

I am lower stats tho, so that might be my issue.
What's your def. of low stat? I heard that if you ever had an IA, they screen you out even if you have a valid reason. SMH.
 
What's your def. of low stat? I heard that if you ever had an IA, they screen you out even if you have a valid reason. SMH.
I knew multiple people with an IA still get a secondary, so I think it does depend on the reason and how long ago it was.
 
My preview was cancelled twice and I won't get the result till OCT 17, would there be any point in applying at that point? IK late apps reduces the chances everywhere, but is UCLA one of the ones that doesn't consider late apps?
I have FAP, but just gauging on how much effort I should put into the secondaries.
 
My preview was cancelled twice and I won't get the result till OCT 17, would there be any point in applying at that point? IK late apps reduces the chances everywhere, but is UCLA one of the ones that doesn't consider late apps?
I have FAP, but just gauging on how much effort I should put into the secondaries.
If you already received the secondary, I feel it doesn't hurt to submit it. It just wouldn't be complete until the Preview gets sent. I believe they'll still consider or look at apps by then.

If you haven't applied to UCLA through AMCAS, then I believe it's past their deadline (10/1) to get a secondary.
 
IK late apps reduces the chances everywhere, but is UCLA one of the ones that doesn't consider late apps?
You have two weeks to submit their secondary from the time you received it. You cannot submit after. As for primaries, their deadline has already passed to apply.
 
If you already received the secondary, I feel it doesn't hurt to submit it. It just wouldn't be complete until the Preview gets sent. I believe they'll still consider or look at apps by then.

If you haven't applied to UCLA through AMCAS, then I believe it's past their deadline (10/1) to get a secondary.
I added UCLA on the primary on Sep29, I submitted the ones with early bias end of the august and rest in sep. IDK where UCLA stands but IG what's one more secondary to write.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone who interviewed recently have any interview advice? Any comments on the vibes of faculty and the students?

You'll have two essentially back to back traditional interviews. Neither seemed like they intended to be stress interviews. Both were open file, typical questions. My experience was pleasant; I felt the interviewers were very conversational and willing to go "off-script" a bit.

The staff seemed stressed. They pack a lot of students per interview day and it's a lot to coordinate. Like other schools, the presentations are primarily about the curriculum and resources at the school. Pretty much everyone already knows most of what there is to know about the school by the time they are interviewing so it's just a lot of staring at each other in anxiety until the interview.

There is a small breakout round-robin kind of thing where you cycle through students and faculty in a group. It's an interesting format and you have the opportunity to get to know a little bit about the other applicants, but it wasn't very much time at all. At the same time, I felt it was necessary because at least in my group, any time the floor was open for questions, almost everyone raises their hand (usually to ask pretend, prepared questions that waste everyone's time)... so it was nice to have a smaller breakout and have more opportunities to speak at all.

Overall, you might even have fun if you can let go of the nerves. Easy for me to say, I know. Hopefully we're classmates next year!
 
You'll have two essentially back to back traditional interviews. Neither seemed like they intended to be stress interviews. Both were open file, typical questions. My experience was pleasant; I felt the interviewers were very conversational and willing to go "off-script" a bit.

The staff seemed stressed. They pack a lot of students per interview day and it's a lot to coordinate. Like other schools, the presentations are primarily about the curriculum and resources at the school. Pretty much everyone already knows most of what there is to know about the school by the time they are interviewing so it's just a lot of staring at each other in anxiety until the interview.

There is a small breakout round-robin kind of thing where you cycle through students and faculty in a group. It's an interesting format and you have the opportunity to get to know a little bit about the other applicants, but it wasn't very much time at all. At the same time, I felt it was necessary because at least in my group, any time the floor was open for questions, almost everyone raises their hand (usually to ask pretend, prepared questions that waste everyone's time)... so it was nice to have a smaller breakout and have more opportunities to speak at all.

Overall, you might even have fun if you can let go of the nerves. Easy for me to say, I know. Hopefully we're classmates next year!
Thanks for the information! I've had great experiences with my traditional interviews so far, so I'm hoping this one follows the trend haha. Also do you know if they randomly put you into one of the interview blocks? There are so many blocks throughout the day and being on EST im hoping I don't get placed into the later blocks lol, I'd rather not interview at like 7 or 8pm.

Fingers crossed potential future classmate!
 
Thanks for the information! I've had great experiences with my traditional interviews so far, so I'm hoping this one follows the trend haha. Also do you know if they randomly put you into one of the interview blocks? There are so many blocks throughout the day and being on EST im hoping I don't get placed into the later blocks lol, I'd rather not interview at like 7 or 8pm.

Fingers crossed potential future classmate!

I was on the east coast as well and had both of my interviews in the AM block (before the conversations with students/faculty). It's all part of the difficulty of coordinating the day, but rest assured, in all likelihood you will interview sooner rather than later.
 
Anyone who has been a successful applicant or got interviews, willing to review my secondary for UCLA?
 
Last year people started hearing back from PRIME in December. I was curious too because I applied PRIME and only received an II from the regular MD pool.
wait so both have different interviews and can be different days? does that mean. PRIME can send an interview even when trad didn't send yet? a bit confused
 
You'll have two essentially back to back traditional interviews. Neither seemed like they intended to be stress interviews. Both were open file, typical questions. My experience was pleasant; I felt the interviewers were very conversational and willing to go "off-script" a bit.

The staff seemed stressed. They pack a lot of students per interview day and it's a lot to coordinate. Like other schools, the presentations are primarily about the curriculum and resources at the school. Pretty much everyone already knows most of what there is to know about the school by the time they are interviewing so it's just a lot of staring at each other in anxiety until the interview.

There is a small breakout round-robin kind of thing where you cycle through students and faculty in a group. It's an interesting format and you have the opportunity to get to know a little bit about the other applicants, but it wasn't very much time at all. At the same time, I felt it was necessary because at least in my group, any time the floor was open for questions, almost everyone raises their hand (usually to ask pretend, prepared questions that waste everyone's time)... so it was nice to have a smaller breakout and have more opportunities to speak at all.

Overall, you might even have fun if you can let go of the nerves. Easy for me to say, I know. Hopefully we're classmates next year!
wait why 2 interviews? one open and one MMI or what?
 
wait why 2 interviews? one open and one MMI or what?

So, for the purposes of admissions imagine it's sort of like a 2-for-1. The traditional MD has a slightly different mission from PRIME, so it's possible that you could end up interviewing at one and not the other, or both.

The interview for traditional MD is a typical interview day with two 30-minute usually open file interviews. PRIME invites come later, and will be an MMI.

Ultimately, you could be "rejected" to UCLA (traditional MD pool) and still attend as a PRIME candidate.
 
So, for the purposes of admissions imagine it's sort of like a 2-for-1. The traditional MD has a slightly different mission from PRIME, so it's possible that you could end up interviewing at one and not the other, or both.

The interview for traditional MD is a typical interview day with two 30-minute usually open file interviews. PRIME invites come later, and will be an MMI.

Ultimately, you could be "rejected" to UCLA (traditional MD pool) and still attend as a PRIME candidate.
ahh got it so prime doesnt actually do a trad interview per se
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad