A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To any ATSU students-

1) do you need an otoscope/ opthalmoscope in 1st year?

2) where can I find the list of books that I need for first year?

3) How are rotations graded? are they honors/ pass/ fail?

Thanks!!!:love:

1) you'll get all your tools day 1, dont buy anything prior
2) not sure, but don't buy the books prior to starting school - i suggest purchasing a book as you need it otherwise you will waste HUNDREDS of dollars as i did prior to starting school. i made that mistake and found that i only needed a total of 3 books to get throughout the year. you'll use the purple costanzo book most often.

3) unfortunately, the rotations are currently pass/fail. i think there is something in the works to add honors, but as of now we have a pass/fail system which i despise and find that it promotes mediocrity. there is this archaic 1-5 scale evaluation form that the preceptor will fill out that assesses different elements of the rotation, such as knowledge professionalism, etc. All these numbers get averaged out through ALL of your rotations and put into the Dean's Letter. Sounds confusing and it is. I have had interviewers say that our dean's letter is convoluted and difficult to understand. Honestly, ATSU just needs to put in a Honors/Pass/Fail system if they want to be taken seriously by the upper echelon residency programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I was all set to go to AZCOM but now I'm taking another look at SOMA... it's cheaper, I like the clinical presentation model. Can any upperclassmen comment on how they have liked working with such a small group of classmates and professors in years 2-4? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post here.

How does one prepare for an interview???
Posts, books, videos???
Thanks

just pray day and night...lol jk! but no seriously..
I actually also watched youtube videos (helped me with MMI)...and then forced my younger brother to ask some typical interview questions (didnt really go quiet well, but maybe u have more mature siblings lol)
one of my really good friends also skyped with me and asked me some killer questions (the best way to prep)...I used to repeat some of the questions to myself while driving and cooking and stuff...and you should also read the interview feedback thread on SDN, it has some decent questions...and thats about it. As everyone says, just be confident and know how to answers questions such as "who are you" "why doctor" "why DO"....and you should have solid answers to these.

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you settled on a school yet?

I believe we're set on AT Still-Kirksville but we've got until Jan 8 to decide for certain. You yourself certainly do not have an easy decision ahead of you. Best of luck!

I believe we're set on AT Still-Kirksville but we've got until Jan 8 to decide for certain. You yourself certainly do not have an easy decision ahead of you. Best of luck!

Congrats on KCOM. They're getting really competitive it seems. And yes, I do have a pretty tough decision.

Well, I was all set to go to AZCOM but now I'm taking another look at SOMA... it's cheaper, I like the clinical presentation model. Can any upperclassmen comment on how they have liked working with such a small group of classmates and professors in years 2-4? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post here.

Sounds like we are in the exact same situation, I was all geared up for AZCOM, but now I keep on bouncing back and forth between them and SOMA. I was more impressed by the SOMA interview and pricetag, but I feel like I know what I am getting at AZCOM, whereas SOMA seems more like a gamble. Who knows what I will like and dislike with such a unique curriculum

Sounds like we are in the exact same situation, I was all geared up for AZCOM, but now I keep on bouncing back and forth between them and SOMA. I was more impressed by the SOMA interview and pricetag, but I feel like I know what I am getting at AZCOM, whereas SOMA seems more like a gamble. Who knows what I will like and dislike with such a unique curriculum

There's no avoiding that fact. A newer school will be a bit of a gamble. But, their graduates have gotten into some extremely competitive residencies (for example, Mayo Clinic), which says a lot about the success of their program and makes me feel a lot less worried about the gamble, especially since I love the idea of their unique curriculum. Good luck with your decision, would love to have you guys as classmates if you decide on SOMA!

There's no avoiding that fact. A newer school will be a bit of a gamble. But, their graduates have gotten into some extremely competitive residencies (for example, Mayo Clinic), which says a lot about the success of their program and makes me feel a lot less worried about the gamble, especially since I love the idea of their unique curriculum. Good luck with your decision, would love to have you guys as classmates if you decide on SOMA!

If you are independent and have a strong internal drive, there is no doubt in my mind that you will thrive in the SOMA educational structure. If you require more supervision or feel safer/stable in the more traditional educational system, then your decision to attend another med school like AZCOM is probably a smarter idea. One of the attractive features that made me choose SOMA over AZCOM was the fact that the class size was only 100 (in comparison to 250). I really enjoyed the collegiality and familiarity that pervaded our class. I also liked the idea of seeing patients and doing H & Ps during our 2nd year. I felt very comfortable seeing patients and doing case presentations by the time 3rd year rolled around.

Didn't get my first or second choice CHC's...got Washington :/ oh well hopefully I'll learn tons there and won't need to relocate a lot for rotations!
Also is the deposit $1000 or $2000?

Didn't get my first or second choice CHC's...got Washington :/ oh well hopefully I'll learn tons there and won't need to relocate a lot for rotations!

Initial deposit is $1000, then another $1000 due by May. Both go toward tuition.

Initial deposit is $1000, then another $1000 due by May. Both go toward tuition.

i heard a lot of students want washington though! i may be wrong... but just what i've heard

washington was my #2 but i got my #1 NYC... goodluck!

No worries, there will be opportunities in Jan, and I believe a couple more after that to change rotation sites during the year before school starts! Don't give up on it!

i have an interview with soma coming up in a couple weeks, anybody has any idea of what the prospects are? with only 100 seats, i imagine itd be kind of full

i have an interview with soma coming up in a couple weeks, anybody has any idea of what the prospects are? with only 100 seats, i imagine itd be kind of full

+1 I wonder too

+1 I wonder too

I'm not sure, but I imagine it would depend on how picky you are about CHCs. If there are only one or two CHCs you would go to and they are full, you might be out of luck. But, if you are willing to go to any one of the 11 CHCs, I would guess you still have a good chance.

hey guys just wondering as i have an upcoming interview i had a q about CHC placements. Do they give u any preference if you are from the area. I currently live in Hawaii and live very close to the CHC...would they give me priority for this CHC or is it simply first accepted first served when it comes to CHC preferences.

hey guys just wondering as i have an upcoming interview i had a q about CHC placements. Do they give u any preference if you are from the area. I currently live in Hawaii and live very close to the CHC...would they give me priority for this CHC or is it simply first accepted first served when it comes to CHC preferences.

No preference...First accepted, first served.

So I guess I should comment on this, have you made your choice yet?

So I'm kind of lukewarm on the idea of working with such a small group of students in years 2-4. It has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages:
1. You get to know a handful of your classmates really well. I'd say that my CHC group is pretty tight (in a school sense). We all get along really well, and we all have at least some things in common. I know that my classmates often go for drinks after tests and stuff, but being married with kids, and not being a drinker myself, I usually pass. But like I said, we all get along really well.

2. You get to know your professors really really well. There are 10 of us that are spending the year with our 2 RDME's. I've never gotten to know a professor as well as I'm getting to know mine now. That's certainly nice. It's also valuable because we get custom tailored advice that way. Our RDME's know exactly where our strengths and weaknesses lie, and they know our goals. They work hard to help us meet them.

3. It might seem like a small group of professors that we're working with, but our 1st year professors continue to teach us via podcast. And they're still just as available for questions as they were 1st year, just via telephone or email etc. And our rotation faculty network is absolutely huge at SOMA. We won't even come close to meeting/working with everyone even just at our CHC.

Disadvantages:
1. You leave other classmates behind after year 1. I met some really great people last year, and almost all of the people I really became good friends with are at other CHC's. so unless we happen to meet up at a conference, or they come to visit, I won't see them until graduation. We do still study together over google+ or FaceTime so that's nice; but I do miss hanging out with some of my friends from 1st year. My wife even became friends with some of their spouses too.

2. Moving away from professors that are based in Mesa. There are a handful of professors that I'd really like to be able to talk to about things in 3rd - 4th year. Professors that I didn't get to know as well as I would have liked because there were just over 100 of us in Mesa. I can always call them or Skype with them but it's not the same as showing up in their office. I've got my RDME's, and there are plenty of doctors here that I can look to for advice and mentorship, but a handful of the clinical professors in Mesa I really looked up to. I looked up to some of the basic science faculty too but the physicians have gone through what I'm about to go through.

All in all I'd say it's a wash with respect to positives and negatives. I wish I still had my friends from other CHC's around, as well as a handful of professors; but I've got it pretty darn good up here too.

No preference in that it's first come first served, but I have to imagine that if you're from the area and the CHC is full when you get to pick, that you'd have preference on any spots that opened up in the future (and they will).

Still, Hawaii is often not that competitive of a site largely due to the costs associated with moving/living there. I'll bet it's not even full yet.

Does anyone by chance know how quickly Portland / Seattle fill up? Thanks.

Disadvantages:
1. You leave other classmates behind after year 1. I met some really great people last year, and almost all of the people I really became good friends with are at other CHC's. so unless we happen to meet up at a conference, or they come to visit, I won't see them until graduation. We do still study together over google+ or FaceTime so that's nice; but I do miss hanging out with some of my friends from 1st year. My wife even became friends with some of their spouses too.

Just a thought on this. Since this year they are having us choose our CHC before we even start year 1, I expect it will naturally result in people making friends with other people who are going to the same CHC as them right from the start. Of course it will be hard to leave the rest and I'm sure we'll still make a few close friends who are going to other CHCs, but it will be nice to know who we will spend years 2-4 with right from the start.

Just a thought on this. Since this year they are having us choose our CHC before we even start year 1, I expect it will naturally result in people making friends with other people who are going to the same CHC as them right from the start. Of course it will be hard to leave the rest and I'm sure we'll still make a few close friends who are going to other CHCs, but it will be nice to know who we will spend years 2-4 with right from the start.

This is true, but we all knew where we were going to try and match to CHC wise, and we matched in November. I spent most of the year knowing exactly who I would be spending the last 3 years with, and the entire year knowing who I'd likely be spending those years with. That didn't affect who I became friends with. I've got close friends in 7 different CHC's. and there are people I really came to respect in all the CHC's too.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my CHC classmates, I think I lucked out with the best overall combo of people that any of the CHC's got my year. And most of them I consider to be great friends. But our class was pretty tightknit overall.

SLC, do you mind telling us which CHC are you at? Maybe some pro's and con's about that site?
Also, do you know anything about the commuting/relocating issues at Washington site? Thanks in advance!

for current/previous students:

did any of you guys have a dog with you during first year? if so, how was it? would you recommend against it?

thanks!

Congrats to everyone with acceptances!

I have a few questions. Is there any sort of shuttle service from the Phoenix airport to the nearby hotels that have shuttles to the interview? For the actual interview, did you need anything (notepad, etc) or were they provided? Did you type up a summary of what you have been doing since you applied, or did you add new activities in the same format as the AACOMAS application? Are there three separate interviews: MMI, file review, and faculty panel?

Sorry for all of the questions :help::help:

Congrats to everyone with acceptances!

I have a few questions. Is there any sort of shuttle service from the Phoenix airport to the nearby hotels that have shuttles to the interview? For the actual interview, did you need anything (notepad, etc) or were they provided? Did you type up a summary of what you have been doing since you applied, or did you add new activities in the same format as the AACOMAS application? Are there three separate interviews: MMI, file review, and faculty panel?

Sorry for all of the questions :help::help:

hey buddy -- i would suggest/recommend getting a rental car... that's what i did and it was a lot cheaper than a few ppl i spoke to who cabbed it back n forth.. it was a good 20-30 min drive from phx to the area around school

they provide everything you need for your interview. i did bring a copy of my updated resume and app to go over during my file review.

hope this helps; goodluck!

for current/previous students:

did any of you guys have a dog with you during first year? if so, how was it? would you recommend against it?

thanks!

I have a couple classmates this year with dogs....it depends on you personally.

A couple of people brought their dogs they already owned (and trained) so it wasn't that big of a deal. One girl bought a new puppy; she said it was difficult to spend time to train him and exercise him. Although large group class sessions are not required, you will still be spending 35+ hours in class/at your desk for coursework (This doesn't include the time you will spend studying the material "outside" of coursework/for the test). Thursday are 8 hour days with OPP and Med Skills and many people have to leave their dog in a crate during the entire day. Some try to run home during lunch to let it out to go to the bathroom. Just know it is another thing for you to take care of on top of coursework.
Also, if you plan on living in an apartment you will most likely have to pay a pet deposit of $100-200 dollars and a monthly pet fee.

hey guys was hoping someone could provide me with some info for the upcoming interviews. Just wondering the social said business casual however was everyone wearing ties and suits and everything? Also just wondering if anyone had any statistics of the number of applicants interviewed and accepted?

Thanks any info would be much appreciated

Well, it was a hard decision, but I just declined my acceptance offer to SOMA. This is an awesome school! Hopefully one of you on the wait list will be getting my spot here really soon. Best of luck to you all!

I have a couple classmates this year with dogs....it depends on you personally.

A couple of people brought their dogs they already owned (and trained) so it wasn't that big of a deal. One girl bought a new puppy; she said it was difficult to spend time to train him and exercise him. Although large group class sessions are not required, you will still be spending 35+ hours in class/at your desk for coursework (This doesn't include the time you will spend studying the material "outside" of coursework/for the test). Thursday are 8 hour days with OPP and Med Skills and many people have to leave their dog in a crate during the entire day. Some try to run home during lunch to let it out to go to the bathroom. Just know it is another thing for you to take care of on top of coursework.
Also, if you plan on living in an apartment you will most likely have to pay a pet deposit of $100-200 dollars and a monthly pet fee.

thank you! :)

hey buddy -- i would suggest/recommend getting a rental car... that's what i did and it was a lot cheaper than a few ppl i spoke to who cabbed it back n forth.. it was a good 20-30 min drive from phx to the area around school

they provide everything you need for your interview. i did bring a copy of my updated resume and app to go over during my file review.

hope this helps; goodluck!

thanks for the advice, but being under 25 makes it pretty expensive, right? I may use the $70 taxi/shuttle service to and from the airport and hotel that was advertised on the interview email. If you went to the Friday social, was attire just business casual, or were people dressed in the same kind of stuff that they wear to interviews?
thanks for the help!!

PM sent...
Hey would you mind sending me the same info? I got into the Washington CHC and would like to know, especially if you are going there. Thank you!

thanks for the advice, but being under 25 makes it pretty expensive, right? I may use the $70 taxi/shuttle service to and from the airport and hotel that was advertised on the interview email. If you went to the Friday social, was attire just business casual, or were people dressed in the same kind of stuff that they wear to interviews?
thanks for the help!!

Definitely just business casual. There were a few people in full suits in my interview group, but most people were in business casual.

thanks for the help!!

No... as a matter of fact enterprise for me in PHX cost me about 65$ I am under 25.
When I interviewed at TN and NC they ran me a lot more. They told me prices fluctuate due to the supply and demand at the time of rental.

I did go to the social; seems to me most people wore business casual, i think 1 person showed up in their suit lol :laugh:

Hey SLC,

do you mind sending me a PM as well. I'm really considering DC as well. Thanks!

I interviewed last week and I'm wondering if anyone who has interviewed here would be willing to PM me about whether you sent a thank-you note or e-mail, due to the unique nature of this interview? Thanks.

I interviewed last week and I'm wondering if anyone who has interviewed here would be willing to PM me about whether you sent a thank-you note or e-mail, due to the unique nature of this interview? Thanks.

I sent one. I didn't send thank you letters to any of my other interviewers at other schools, but ATSU-SOMA specifically lists in their materials (given to you on interview day) as a post-interview suggestion that you send a thank you note. I don't expect it would make much of a difference in whether or not they accept you, but if it's listed as a suggestion in their materials, you can't go wrong by sending one.

Well I definitely didn't read all the material then :/ but I still sent pretty short emails to both of my interviewers. I shamelessly asked the interviewers for their cards after my "personal interview" and asked them if it's to contact them and they obviously said yes, so I emailed them about 4 days after my interview :)