A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I really hope they're still offering interviews. :confused:
Call and ask! They're a friendly bunch :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I just called and they said they are interviewing until March. Still on hold lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my II yesterday, they also mentioned they are almost out of seats but they still encouraged me to accept the interview for several reasons which I will be doing. Just have to work with my employer to see what day I can get off.

Reactions: 1 user
I've paid my deposit, but there is a small possibility I will be paying one to DMU as I just interviewed there. I have a tough decision to make. My seat could potentially be up for grabs, so I would suggest going to the interview because I guarantee I'm not the only one in this situation and it truly is a fantastic school. Good luck everyone!

I've paid my deposit, but there is a small possibility I will be paying one to DMU as I just interviewed there. I have a tough decision to make. My seat could potentially be up for grabs, so I would suggest going to the interview because I guarantee I'm not the only one in this situation and it truly is a fantastic school. Good luck everyone!

Exactly. They straight up told me to expect a sizeable amount of seats to free up around April when another payment is due

Can anybody elaborate on how clinical rotations work? Are only 3rd year core rotations completed at your regional site or all rotations excluding electives?

Wish I could answer, but I won't start my rotations until July and my site is new so I really have no clue.

Huh, sounds a little sketch but of course its a test. How does that work with a computer? Same program, can't access anything but the test?

Look up ExamSoft. It's very secure and the school runs a pretty tight ship on downloading/starting/uploading exams. I still have a few gripes about it, but overall I really prefer it over paper.
Do any current students know anything about the north east rotation sites at Lancaster and Bayonne?
I mean... we still have them. Was there anything specific you were curious about?

If you're rejected pre-interview, will it be updated to say so on the portal? Or will we just be notified by email? Is there a point in checking the portal until you have an interview?

Trying to figure out different portal systems for some of these med schools...

If you're rejected pre-interview, will it be updated to say so on the portal? Or will we just be notified by email? Is there a point in checking the portal until you have an interview?

Trying to figure out different portal systems for some of these med schools...

That might be best suited to just call and ask. I would imagine they would also email you but I'm not entirely sure.

My top reasons for choosing KCOM:
1. Reputation - especially in the Midwest, KCOM is a household name for turning out great primary care docs, which is my interest.
2. Size - Kirksville has a good small town feel, which is the type of environment I would like to follow in my career.
3. Proximity - close to my home state (Iowa), where I plan on returning for residency/electives.
4. Ultrasound - this program is only getting better and better, and will be a huge advantage come intern year.
5. Cost of living - very cheap and comfortable compared to what I've rented in the past. I have a two-bedroom, newly renovated apartment about a mile off campus that I live alone in for $550. I ride my bike to school whenever I get the chance.[/QUOTE]

When did you start looking for an apartment? How early can you put down a deposit on apartment if the lease starts later like July?

Has anyone that interviewed Jan 12th heard back yet?

Does anyone have recommendations on the required ipads? Is is a better deal to purchase one on your own or just use the one KCOM provides you? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have recommendations on the required ipads? Is is a better deal to purchase one on your own or just use the one KCOM provides you? Thanks
If you can afford the required iPad with no problem then I would say do that. If you take the one provided odds are you're paying with borrowed money and your $500 iPad turns into $1500 when you pay it off. I don't have $500 to blow right now with bills and how much this cycle cost me.

... I don't have $500 to blow right now with bills and how much this cycle cost me.

I am much in the same situation. After the application cycle and the expenses that will be associated with moving, I am on a fairly tight budget right now. I'm also thinking of just getting the one from the school because, while I have been up to my elbows in the internal workings of PC desktops and laptops for over 20 years and am quite knowledgeable on current PC tech, I know nothing about Apple products.

I honestly knew nothing about Apple products so I just let the school purchase mine. As @PKA<0 said, I would've bought mine on credit anyway so it wasn't worth it for me to go get one on my own.

If you do have the freed cash, you can probably talk to IT and make sure whatever iPad you buy fits all the requirements.

I honestly knew nothing about Apple products so I just let the school purchase mine. As @PKA<0 said, I would've bought mine on credit anyway so it wasn't worth it for me to go get one on my own.

If you do have the freed cash, you can probably talk to IT and make sure whatever iPad you buy fits all the requirements.

There are only like 2 different current models aren't there? I don't knoe anything about them, but I am guessing even the bare minimum would meet requirements but not sure

There are only like 2 different current models aren't there? I don't knoe anything about them, but I am guessing even the bare minimum would meet requirements but not sure
Yeah I believe so. I think it's just to make sure people don't buy really old models in an effort to save money.

I think I might buy my own after I check with the school about the one I want. I was looking at Ipad Air 2. Online I think it says Ipad 3 for this years coming class, I think they mean Ipad Mini 3. There are only 2 models right now: Ipad Air (latest is #2) and Ipad Mini (latest is #3). I don't know if they are coming out with anymore right now. There's really not much of a difference between them except the air is a little larger and has 1 or 2 relatively unimportant extra features.

I think I might buy my own after I check with the school about the one I want. I was looking at Ipad Air 2. Online I think it says Ipad 3 for this years coming class, I think they mean Ipad Mini 3. There are only 2 models right now: Ipad Air (latest is #2) and Ipad Mini (latest is #3). I don't know if they are coming out with anymore right now. There's really not much of a difference between them except the air is a little larger and has 1 or 2 relatively unimportant extra features.

Interesting observation. A bigger screen would seem quite beneficial. I wish they explicitly said which you will get if you get one through the school.

Mini is good for pockets when rounding

Interesting observation. A bigger screen would seem quite beneficial. I wish they explicitly said which you will get if you get one through the school.

Yeah the screen on the air 2 is 1.8 inches larger diagnonally than the mini.

Mini is good for pockets when rounding

But this could make the air 2 a problem for small pockets as a med student lol

The minis are supposed to be awesome for 3rd year forward because you can fit it into your white coat. But I don't think they'd explicitly recommend it for 1st/2nd year because the screen is that much smaller (I can't imagine taking exams on it). Maybe they meant the oldest you could have is the iPad 3?

I interviewed mid-December and I'm still waiting on a yes/no/waitlist. I called last week and she said they still hadn't made a decision on my file. I'm not really sure what to think about that. Six weeks? I got an acceptance someplace else, but KCOM is where I really want to be. At least my first deposit isn't due until mid-February.

I interviewed mid-December and I'm still waiting on a yes/no/waitlist. I called last week and she said they still hadn't made a decision on my file. I'm not really sure what to think about that. Six weeks? I got an acceptance someplace else, but KCOM is where I really want to be. At least my first deposit isn't due until mid-February.

Did they email you at all? Something similar happened to me. I had an interview, was taking a while then called and they said my application was still under review. Then a little later I got an email saying my application decision would be released a few months later on a specific date. I was called a week before that date and told by one of my interviewers I was accepted. Don't lose hope.

Did they email you at all? Something similar happened to me. I had an interview, was taking a while then called and they said my application was still under review. Then a little later I got an email saying my application decision would be released a few months later on a specific date. I was called a week before that date and told by one of my interviewers I was accepted. Don't lose hope.
They haven't e-mailed me anything at all. I only know I'm still being considered because I called 'em on the phone. All I can do is wait and keep calling, I guess. Since I have a family, I'm hoping to have as much lead time as possible. It probably won't be practical for me to pick up everything last minute, leave the town I moved to for my other acceptance, and move out there. We'll see how it goes.

Anyone from the 1/16 interview date hear back yet?

Just got my very first rejection letter from here. Didn't even have an interview. 26 MCAT 3.8 GPA, but I didn't get everything in until mid-January. I don't handle rejection well so this is going to be a brutal process!

Just got my very first rejection letter from here. Didn't even have an interview. 26 MCAT 3.8 GPA, but I didn't get everything in until mid-January. I don't handle rejection well so this is going to be a brutal process!

Snail mail or email?

I've gotten a bunch of rejections. I got one from my first choice, and one from a place I thought I had my best chance of getting in to.

Though I have four interviews I have to look forward to. The point is yes it's hard, but take this as an opportunity to take stock in yourself and move on to the schools that potentially want you instead of fretting over those that do not.

I've gotten a bunch of rejections. I got one from my first choice, and one from a place I thought I had my best chance of getting in to.

Though I have four interviews I have to look forward to. The point is yes it's hard, but take this as an opportunity to take stock in yourself and move on to the schools that potentially want you instead of fretting over those that do not.

I understand that I'll more than likely receive rejections, but I just wish I knew WHY I wasn't asked to interview. Now I am paranoid that there is something glaring in my application that might be making me an automatic NO.

I understand that I'll more than likely receive rejections, but I just wish I knew WHY I wasn't asked to interview. Now I am paranoid that there is something glaring in my application that might be making me an automatic NO.

Call the admissions department. Continue to be polite and ask if there were any notes or feedback so that you can improve your application for next year.

If you didn't get your stuff in until January chances are you got bit by cycle logistics.

The minis are supposed to be awesome for 3rd year forward because you can fit it into your white coat. But I don't think they'd explicitly recommend it for 1st/2nd year because the screen is that much smaller (I can't imagine taking exams on it). Maybe they meant the oldest you could have is the iPad 3?

Checked with IT. Students are not supposed to get the mini 3 and I'm assuming the minis before that. They did say the Ipad air 2 was okay though.

Forfeiting my acceptance here. Good luck all!

rejected preinterview snail mail today as well. boo.

I've been lurking on this thread practically this whole cycle and I've finally decided to make a post!

I interviewed at ATSU-KCOM on Monday morning and I personally feel that it went great. I feel like I owe everyone on this thread a big 'thank you' considering I took all advice given and applied it towards my preparation for the interview. I'm hoping for some good news within the upcoming weeks!

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! Interviewed Dec 19 and didn't hear anything until I received a big packet in the mail on Saturday. Good luck to everyone still interviewing or waiting on a decision. Kirksville here I come

Reactions: 3 users
Call the admissions department. Continue to be polite and ask if there were any notes or feedback so that you can improve your application for next year.

If you didn't get your stuff in until January chances are you got bit by cycle logistics.
I would put all of my money into this reason. I had friends who completed that late last cycle and were turned away in spite of pretty solid applications by all standards.

Checked with IT. Students are not supposed to get the mini 3 and I'm assuming the minis before that. They did say the Ipad air 2 was okay though.

Yeah, I couldn't imagine using a mini for pre-clinicals. I'm probably going to bite the bullet and shop around for a mini after I get settled in to my rotation site, though.

My top reasons for choosing KCOM:
1. Reputation - especially in the Midwest, KCOM is a household name for turning out great primary care docs, which is my interest.
2. Size - Kirksville has a good small town feel, which is the type of environment I would like to follow in my career.
3. Proximity - close to my home state (Iowa), where I plan on returning for residency/electives.
4. Ultrasound - this program is only getting better and better, and will be a huge advantage come intern year.
5. Cost of living - very cheap and comfortable compared to what I've rented in the past. I have a two-bedroom, newly renovated apartment about a mile off campus that I live alone in for $550. I ride my bike to school whenever I get the chance.

When did you start looking for an apartment? How early can you put down a deposit on apartment if the lease starts later like July?[/QUOTE]

I had already scoped out a few places the May before school started in July. I was accepted off the "accepted pending" list about 3 weeks before school started, so luckily one of the places I looked at was still available. But I was very very lucky. If you can make the trip, look ASAP and secure a spot with a deposit, most landlords will be willing to work with you.

My stomach starts to hurt just thinking about getting an acceptance or rejection and I only interviewed a couple days ago! :barf:

I will sadly be turning down my acceptance here. Congratulations to the KCOM class of 2019 and good luck to those still in their application cycles!

II today! Complete 1/22. Before I received the invite I was told that the class has almost filled completely but some seats have not yet been secured by deposits. Acceptances are done but waitlist decisions are still coming out and there will be some movement soon and then even more after the April deposit deadline.

II today! Complete 1/22. Before I received the invite I was told that the class has almost filled completely but some seats have not yet been secured by deposits. Acceptances are done but waitlist decisions are still coming out and there will be some movement soon and then even more after the April deposit deadline.
Congrats! :D