This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I go to LECOM at Seton Hill PBL program?

• Total voters

otter123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was accepted in LECOM of Seton Hill's PBL program and am struggling with the decision on whether or not to go and send in my 1500 acceptance deposit. It is my only interview and acceptance so far. My stats are 3.4 gpa at top 10 university in California, 28 mcat, tons of research, shadowing experience, and I am 25 years old. Should I accept and go to LECOM or wait to hear from other DO schools? Or should I apply next year more broadly? I only applied to 14-15 schools and did not put much strategy into my school selection. I am also apprehensive about moving all the way across the country to Greensburg, when I have been raised in big cities my whole life. Thanks for any of your valuable input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I honestly feel like its all how much you want to go to school this cycle, take the acceptance now. Even if money is a bit of stretch, the cycle is winding down and many people are interviewing for waitlists now.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hey guys I was accepted in LECOM of Seton Hill's PBL program and am struggling with the decision on whether or not to go and send in my 1500 acceptance deposit. It is my only interview and acceptance so far. My stats are 3.4 gpa at top 10 university in California, 28 mcat, tons of research, shadowing experience, and I am 25 years old. Should I accept and go to LECOM or wait to hear from other DO schools? Or should I apply next year more broadly? I only applied to 14-15 schools and did not put much strategy into my school selection. I am also apprehensive about moving all the way across the country to Greensburg, when I have been raised in big cities my whole life. Thanks for any of your valuable input!
Each year you delay going to school, you lose ~$175,000 or a year of your retirement. Unless you have a better plan for the year off, consider going if you think you'll graduate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

The real question is why with a 3.4/28 from a UC only got one interview invite?

At this point, it's your only option. As the above poster mentioned, its a massive opportunity cost to wait a year, also you'll be considered a reapplicant.

Each year you delay going to school, you lose ~$175,000 or a year of your retirement. Unless you have a better plan for the year off, consider going if you think you'll graduate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's probably much more than that if you consider lost terminal income (the last year before you retire).

OP, look, if you end up turning down the acceptance and apply next year you have to disclose/they'll know if A) you're a reapplicant and B) if you were accepted previously. It looks bad and can hinder you more than any other year of extra coursework/MCAT prep/shadowing/volunteering would benefit you. I hate to be an ***hole on here, but you really shouldn't have applied to a school that you weren't interested about going to. Also, you should have pulled your app after the interview if you were not interested, before they could make a decision. However, you got into a school and that is all that matters.

Here is what you do: keep interviewing if you get offered any other schools to interview at (the cycle is closing soon but you never know), and put down the deposit @ LECOM-SH. Yeah, I know, $1500 is a lot to spend. I get that, seriously. It is however a small price to pay as it acts as insurance and guarantees you are going to medical school next semester as opposed to the chance of not getting in over a year from now.

The real question is why with a 3.4/28 from a UC only got one interview invite?

At this point, it's your only option. As the above poster mentioned, its a massive opportunity cost to wait a year, also you'll be considered a reapplicant.

When I say 14-15 schools I mean like 3 DO schools and 12 MD schools, mostly the UC's in California and some other competitive ones. I probably applied to too many top schools for my stats. I was thinking if I applied to more DO schools, or lower tier MD schools next year I might have a better shot.

It's probably much more than that if you consider lost terminal income (the last year before you retire).

OP, look, if you end up turning down the acceptance and apply next year you have to disclose/they'll know if A) you're a reapplicant and B) if you were accepted previously. It looks bad and can hinder you more than any other year of extra coursework/MCAT prep/shadowing/volunteering would benefit you. I hate to be an ***hole on here, but you really shouldn't have applied to a school that you weren't interested about going to. Also, you should have pulled your app after the interview if you were not interested, before they could make a decision. However, you got into a school and that is all that matters.

Here is what you do: keep interviewing if you get offered any other schools to interview at (the cycle is closing soon but you never know), and put down the deposit @ LECOM-SH. Yeah, I know, $1500 is a lot to spend. I get that, seriously. It is however a small price to pay as it acts as insurance and guarantees you are going to medical school next semester as opposed to the chance of not getting in over a year from now.

Thanks for your response igor_raptor. Are you saying that all MD/DO schools would know that I was accepted previously to LECOM and turned it down? And is it really that bad to be a reapplicant? I know I shouldn't have applied and I should have thought about the schools I actually wanted to go to when choosing my list of schools.

I also am considering just putting down the deposit for now, but living in Pennsylvania is not exactly what I expected. Quite a culture shock when I have spent my whole life in San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Thanks for your response igor_raptor. Are you saying that all MD/DO schools would know that I was accepted previously to LECOM and turned it down? And is it really that bad to be a reapplicant? I know I shouldn't have applied and I should have thought about the schools I actually wanted to go to when choosing my list of schools.

I also am considering just putting down the deposit for now, but living in Pennsylvania is not exactly what I expected. Quite a culture shock when I have spent my whole life in San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Out of 14 applications, there is a reason why you only got accepted to LECOM. Don't be ungrateful. Go to LECOM. Besides, you will experience a culture shock at some point in your life anyway.

Dude. I spent all my childhood/teens in Sacramento, went to college in New York and am currently going through LECOM's post-bac in Erie, PA. It ain't bad. For you, Pittsburgh is not far away and you could live there while going to Seton Hill.

To be brutally honest with you, your stats are average. Nothing spectacular for the other schools that you've applied to hence the sole interview invite and acceptance you have at hand. No offense, but maybe some offence.... you need to grow up. A DO acceptance is a DO acceptance. If you think you could get accepted into an MD school/"higher-tier" DO school or if you think you will *drop dead* not living in the big city, by all means go ahead and drop LECOM so that someone else who wants to go there can take that seat.

Reactions: 1 users