Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2014 – 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does ACOM have a relatively quick turnaround time in giving out IIs?
Depends on the stats, I guess. I was completed in either late July or early August and got an interview at the end of October.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I plan on having my primary sent off within the next two weeks. Stats are 3.39 cgpa, 3.11 sgpa, 8PS/7VR/6BS with a planned retake Dec 6th this year. I'm an in state applicant from a rural area and a high interest in primary care. Any idea on if I'll even be competitive?

I think your gpa is within the ball park. I have a similar sgpa (but most of those science classes were upper division chemistry courses) and I received an interview invite and I'm from CA. I believe what will hold you back will be your mcat. So study hard and show that the 21 was merely a fluke, shoot for 26-28 but anything 30+ would make the mcat portion of your application golden, remember it is not always about the stats there is a lot of different factors that goes into admission. The numbers merely get your foot to the door and the rest of the app helps open it up. Good luck on the MCAT and keep your heads up!!!

Did you guys get a compete email? Or just went by the portal saying secondary fee received and no incomplete items?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys get a compete email? Or just went by the portal saying secondary fee received and no incomplete items?
I got one from them. I had to call them, though, because the portal didn't connect my essays with it and I had to send an attachment to Linda Goodson's email.

My understanding is Alabama COM has high in-state preference, but also regional preference for Georgia and Florida. I live in Florida, but SWFL (Fort Myers area), not the rural bordering panhandle area. How would you guys interpret this from ACOM's point of view?

Reactions: 1 user
My understanding is Alabama COM has high in-state preference, but also regional preference for Georgia and Florida. I live in Florida, but SWFL (Fort Myers area), not the rural bordering panhandle area. How would you guys interpret this from ACOM's point of view?

In my interview group, only 1 of 13 were from Alabama or the region. I think your location can only help you.

Thanks for responding! That's good to hear. I was starting to feel like they were almost exclusively instate. Thanks again.

During my interview, ACOM said their were going to change their mission to incorporating the tri-state region of AL, GA, and FL. They are not exclusively in-state from what I've seen. They want about 40%-50% to be from the tri-state region as well as students from all over the country.

During my interview, ACOM said their were going to change their mission to incorporating the tri-state region of AL, GA, and FL. They are not exclusively in-state from what I've seen. They want about 40%-50% to be from the tri-state region as well as students from all over the country.
Thank you for this information!

Where is the portal? I never received a link for one. I had a link to the secondary application, which I filled out, but that was it.

EDIT: I called and got access to the portal, but there is nothing on there re: my application. Very odd.

Last edited:

This is what I was told during the August open house.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is the portal? I never received a link for one. I had a link to the secondary application, which I filled out, but that was it.

EDIT: I called and got access to the portal, but there is nothing on there re: my application. Very odd.

I never received access to a portal. When I got an ii, I emailed tech service and got access to the interview schedule, that's it. Never got a regular portal link. Weird.

Reactions: 1 users
I never received access to a portal. When I got an ii, I emailed tech service and got access to the interview schedule, that's it. Never got a regular portal link. Weird.

OK, so we're in the same boat. I know they have had technical issues for the last 2 application cycles. Thanks for your post.

First II today! :)
Checked the dates. And the only ones available for this year is November 7, which is next week and I can't do that. The next one available is January 23. Is that normal? Will I just have to wait for someone to drop an interview slot if I want an earlier interview?

Same here, first II this morning, very excited! I think that will be the case. I wanna get in before Jan. 23 as well, we'll just have to wait to see if a spot opens up before then. If anyone is dropping their interview date, please let me know.

Interview invite as well here 1/30. Not worried about the date. People get accepted all the way to April/May at this school...

It's a pretty awesome school. For being so new, they really have their stuff together and will definitely be successful in the future. I had a really pleasant interview experience there today!

II today! :D

3.17 cGPA 3.26 sGPA 24 MCAT (8,8,8)
Huge upward trend due to family issues first year.

Will anyone familiar with ACOM tell me if they offer international rotations during 3rd or 4th year? I know they are pretty new and their facts say no special programs butttt I'd just like to make sure from current students or someone whose dug a little deeper than me.

Good luck to all applicants and Happy Halloween!

Will anyone familiar with ACOM tell me if they offer international rotations during 3rd or 4th year? I know they are pretty new and their facts say no special programs butttt I'd just like to make sure from current students or someone whose dug a little deeper than me.

Congrats. I have never heard of an international rotation at ACOM. VCOM has that option, however.

I don't know of any specific international rotations but you will have numerous elective/selective rotations in years 3-4 and I know they have mentioned international as an option. Being a new school means you may get to be the trailblazer to start something for those that come behind you to enjoy as well.

Accepted!!!! Got the call yesterday while I was at work (I'm a scribe) and I couldn't listen to the voicemail, then got another call and voicemail, so that just freaked me out for the last two hours of my shift, but it was good news!! So so so excited.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't know of any specific international rotations but you will have numerous elective/selective rotations in years 3-4 and I know they have mentioned international as an option. Being a new school means you may get to be the trailblazer to start something for those that come behind you to enjoy as well.

Thank you for your input, maybe I'll start a international missions club and you'll here about it. Than you can remember that you planted the seed in a future student's mind!

Does anyone mind posting the facebook page? I couldn't find it

Edit: found it!

Last edited:
Hello guys. I'm a current student here at ACOM, congrats to all accepted, thus is a great place. If anyone has specific questions feel free to pm me.

Accepted! interviewed Oct. 24th. Seems like a really promising place with already solid rotations.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewing on November 7. Good luck to everyone who applied! Very excited about this school.

Did anyone who received the accepted phone call get an official acceptance email/letter yet?

Did anyone who received the accepted phone call get an official acceptance email/letter yet?
I interviewed on Friday and they said they would be calling the previous weeks applicants on that same day. There have been people who posted they were accepted, too, so I would assume they called the applicants.

I've got a condo in Sanibel, really nice area of Florida

Just gave up my interview on 11/14. Maybe someone can snag it if they want an earlier date. Good Luck to all who are interviewing it looks like it will be a great school.

OOS 24/3.16/3.16. what are my chances?

I'm not sure anyone here can really answer that authoritatively. In your case, with statistics below ACOM's averages, the decision will probably come down to the overall strength of your application, and your academic trajectory. E.g. does that 3.16 GPA represent a 2.5 during your first two years of college, but a 4.0 ever since? Have you faced significant adversity in life that can explain your statistics?

ACOM seems more interested in whether or not students will be competitive in medical school and successfully pass the board exams. If the last two years of your life show a significant upward trajectory, it might be worth your while. Otherwise, I'd take another year to improve things and apply from a stronger position.

I don't know your chances but I know 3 things!

They are a new school, they would like to see an interest in serving rural under served areas and the best one is I'm OOS 24/3.17/3.27. So take it for what it is! Goodluck

They are a new school, they would like to see an interest in serving rural under served areas and the best one is I'm OOS 24/3.17/3.27. So take it for what it is! Goodluck
.. . . and I got an II my bad I should have said that first haha.

I'm not sure anyone here can really answer that authoritatively. In your case, with statistics below ACOM's averages, the decision will probably come down to the overall strength of your application, and your academic trajectory. E.g. does that 3.16 GPA represent a 2.5 during your first two years of college, but a 4.0 ever since? Have you faced significant adversity in life that can explain your statistics?

ACOM seems more interested in whether or not students will be competitive in medical school and successfully pass the board exams. If the last two years of your life show a significant upward trajectory, it might be worth your while. Otherwise, I'd take another year to improve things and apply from a stronger position.
I agree with this. I'm an OOS applicant with lower than average gpa (but a competitive MCAT). I have an upward trend in my gpa as well. I'm currently waitlisted until my grades from this semester come out. I would say as long as you have strong points in your application, it wouldn't hurt to try this school. I would consider retaking your MCAT though.

They are a new school, but they are a good school with tremendous upside. Don't mistake "new school" with "willing to lower academic standards and set students up to fail." They really take it seriously whether or not a student can succeed in medical school and on the board exams.

They are a new school, but they are a good school with tremendous upside. Don't mistake "new school" with "willing to lower academic standards and set students up to fail." They really take it seriously whether or not a student can succeed in medical school and on the board exams.
One of the things they also said to everyone on my interview day was they believe that MCAT scores are correlative to board performance. I think that they will take lower gpa into consideration if your MCAT is good. Just my opinion on that though.

Never forget that, even if you're given an interview, you'll have to have a compelling reason to explain the GPA's and MCAT score. My GPA's were well above the national average while my MCAT score was below it. The dichotomy of this had to be explained in my interview, and I put it like this: "I'm very well versed in the world of science as my grades indicate. However, the MCAT is like taking your science knowledge and putting test questions over that knowledge into old English writing. Yeah, I may know the material, but it doesn't matter when it's seemingly in a weird language. I'm not making excuses for myself, but if I needed to take that test again I would prepare accordingly, given my opinion on the matter..." They seemed satisfied with that answer, especially since I have a 3.87 sGPA, but we will see if they accept me! Good luck to you, man.

One of the things they also said to everyone on my interview day was they believe that MCAT scores are correlative to board performance. I think that they will take lower gpa into consideration if your MCAT is good. Just my opinion on that though.

^^ this. This was very much stressed during the August open house.

ACOM truly does take the whole application into account, not just your MCAT/gpa or solely your volunteer experience/ECs. Lots of folks here are more one or the other, but if you are interviewing, just be yourself and act natural. I did not have amazing numbers, but I had other things in my application that made me a candidate. I came in with numbers probably below the class average, but my grades so far here have been probably above the average. Past performance doesn't always guarantee future results, and they know that. They want to see what kind of a person you are and if you have the stones to get through 4 years of dense, expensive school as much as anything else.

Reactions: 3 users