Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received an email from admissions
"I apologize for the problem with the supplemental application process. There is a small technical issue we are currently resolving. The link should be active within the hour.
Thank you for your interest in ACOM."

So don't worry people :)

Also I like how this school is quick when a problem arises.
Seriously, they are SO nice and seem to take everything very seriously. The woman I spoke with took down my email address and immediately followed up. I would love to go to school here.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, am I blind? Firstly, there is no option to choose 2017 as the start term. I also don't see anywhere to upload the essays?

Reactions: 1 user
This post is for future and current ACOM applicants my apologies it is a bit long. I was accepted into ACOM during a previous cycle and after my post acceptance experience with ACOM administrators, not attending the school was the best decision I ever made. Don’t get me wrong my interview experience was great everyone was nice I enjoyed the small town feel of Dothan compared to my hometown. I was accepted early during the cycle. Due to quite a few challenges I had difficulty mustering up the 2k seat deposit but the ADMIN Office was accommodating (but who wouldn’t be for 2k of nonrefundable money). When I submitted my 2k deposit was aware of the nonrefundable tag associated with it but it did not concern me because I was so excited to starts my journey towards becoming a doctor and it never crossed my mind that I would not start school. During my interview process, in my personal statement, secondary application and throughout the application cycle I stressed and made everyone aware of the financial/medical hardship I and my family were experiencing. Unfortunately, about 2 months prior to the start of class my family and I experienced some very devastating news which at the time permanently haunted any plans of relocation or school for me and due to the severity of the situation deferment was not an option because I had no definite time to which I would be able to resume normal life. I notified ACOM of my situation and me need to withdraw my acceptance and asked if there was any way to receive a portion if not all of my deposit refund. Yes, I knew it was refundable but I was at rock bottom and need to at least ask.

I was told that deferment is offered in only some cases and I even went so far as begging, offering to connect the ADMIN office with our supervising physicians, provide medical records and financial statements, whatever they needed. Yet all they could do was provide me with a 1 sentence response of no then they stopped replying to my correspondence all together.

While my situation may be rare I share this with potential students because you never know when life will throw you a curve ball and something devastating may happen to you or someone you love. I do not want to bash the school but at a time when I was at my lowest, a future student, a future member of the “ACOM family” they showed an extreme lack of compassion and no integrity at all. I think about had I moved to Dothan and attended the school and something tragic would have happen I cannot honestly say if I would trust how they would respond and if they would provide me with the needed support and while I am sure things have happened to current students and they may have a great story to share, a school that picks and chooses what situations deserve compassion is not a place I want to be. I will end with asking future applicants to thoroughly investigate the schools you plan to apply to and invest your time, resources and money into.

---Think about schools that are provisionally accredited like ACOM and the tactics they use such as nonrefundable seats deposits. Yes all schools require seat deposits but they are not customarily nonrefundable (many are refundable up until a certain date). ACOM states the 2k seat goes towards tuition, sure

---Think about the fact that ACOM does not offer any institutional scholarships, no need based funding for lower income/resources students, no funds for merit. You financial aid award consist of Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan ONLY. While they financial aid office will periodically send you emails with information about scholarships you can apply to, half of them you wont qualify (for religious or geographical reasons)

---So what happens to all of the 2k deposits of student who withdraw to go to other schools? (and yes some people will give up 2k to go to another school if presented, I met several students during my cycle that did) Supposedly the money goes towards tuition, right so if a person is no longer going to the school then what happens to that 2k that would have been accredited to their tuition? Nothing, I guess is vanishes in thin air or goes into someone’s pocket, I honestly don’t know and they wont tell you. I am not rich by far but my mind would have more at ease had it at least been a case that my unused 2k worth of tuition would be given to a student in financial need, or a student with a family etc but that is not the case. So before you give away a large deposit to any school ask questions please.

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone able to log back in after saving their supplemental application?

Just received an email from admissions
"I apologize for the problem with the supplemental application process. There is a small technical issue we are currently resolving. The link should be active within the hour.
Thank you for your interest in ACOM."

So don't worry people :)

Also I like how this school is quick when a problem arises.
When do you guys think is appropriate time frame to submit?

This post is for future and current ACOM applicants my apologies it is a bit long. I was accepted into ACOM during a previous cycle and after my post acceptance experience with ACOM administrators, not attending the school was the best decision I ever made. Don’t get me wrong my interview experience was great everyone was nice I enjoyed the small town feel of Dothan compared to my hometown. I was accepted early during the cycle. Due to quite a few challenges I had difficulty mustering up the 2k seat deposit but the ADMIN Office was accommodating (but who wouldn’t be for 2k of nonrefundable money). When I submitted my 2k deposit was aware of the nonrefundable tag associated with it but it did not concern me because I was so excited to starts my journey towards becoming a doctor and it never crossed my mind that I would not start school. During my interview process, in my personal statement, secondary application and throughout the application cycle I stressed and made everyone aware of the financial/medical hardship I and my family were experiencing. Unfortunately, about 2 months prior to the start of class my family and I experienced some very devastating news which at the time permanently haunted any plans of relocation or school for me and due to the severity of the situation deferment was not an option because I had no definite time to which I would be able to resume normal life. I notified ACOM of my situation and me need to withdraw my acceptance and asked if there was any way to receive a portion if not all of my deposit refund. Yes, I knew it was refundable but I was at rock bottom and need to at least ask.

I was told that deferment is offered in only some cases and I even went so far as begging, offering to connect the ADMIN office with our supervising physicians, provide medical records and financial statements, whatever they needed. Yet all they could do was provide me with a 1 sentence response of no then they stopped replying to my correspondence all together.

While my situation may be rare I share this with potential students because you never know when life will throw you a curve ball and something devastating may happen to you or someone you love. I do not want to bash the school but at a time when I was at my lowest, a future student, a future member of the “ACOM family” they showed an extreme lack of compassion and no integrity at all. I think about had I moved to Dothan and attended the school and something tragic would have happen I cannot honestly say if I would trust how they would respond and if they would provide me with the needed support and while I am sure things have happened to current students and they may have a great story to share, a school that picks and chooses what situations deserve compassion is not a place I want to be. I will end with asking future applicants to thoroughly investigate the schools you plan to apply to and invest your time, resources and money into.

---Think about schools that are provisionally accredited like ACOM and the tactics they use such as nonrefundable seats deposits. Yes all schools require seat deposits but they are not customarily nonrefundable (many are refundable up until a certain date). ACOM states the 2k seat goes towards tuition, sure

---Think about the fact that ACOM does not offer any institutional scholarships, no need based funding for lower income/resources students, no funds for merit. You financial aid award consist of Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan ONLY. While they financial aid office will periodically send you emails with information about scholarships you can apply to, half of them you wont qualify (for religious or geographical reasons)

---So what happens to all of the 2k deposits of student who withdraw to go to other schools? (and yes some people will give up 2k to go to another school if presented, I met several students during my cycle that did) Supposedly the money goes towards tuition, right so if a person is no longer going to the school then what happens to that 2k that would have been accredited to their tuition? Nothing, I guess is vanishes in thin air or goes into someone’s pocket, I honestly don’t know and they wont tell you. I am not rich by far but my mind would have more at ease had it at least been a case that my unused 2k worth of tuition would be given to a student in financial need, or a student with a family etc but that is not the case. So before you give away a large deposit to any school ask questions please.

I'd imagine that, among other reasons, they do non-refundable deposits to avoid people wasting their time by putting deposits down at multiple schools. It's unfortunate that you had to withdrawal you acceptance, but if they were to make an exception for one person than that would open up a whole new can of worms with people wanting refunds for one reason or another. They have a policy and they chose to stick to it.

When do you guys think is appropriate time frame to submit?
Within a week or 2. Sitting too long will only delay the review process and show a lack of interest in the school. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, the neurosis is REAL.

Preach, one of my professors has gone completely MIA so i'm scrambling to find a second science letter. Meeting with another professor tomorrow morning and just begging for mercy.

Preach, one of my professors has gone completely MIA so i'm scrambling to find a second science letter. Meeting with another professor tomorrow morning and just begging for mercy.
I had one go MIA too so I dropped her like a hot potato and used a back up.

Sorry, but sounds too much like a personal problem and not the school's fault. Like someone else posted, the school has a policy, which you agreed to, and they are not obligated to break their agreement with you because of a special circumstance. If they do, then it would be even worse off for them for picking-and-choosing which cases they would refund money for, which would equal bias. Also, I don't know how else the school could have accommodated you. You literally said you aren't sure because of your hardship when you would be able to resume school again, so how can they defer an admittance for you? Also, what else do you expect the school to do for you???

Does ACOM have in state bias??

This is a dumb question, but are we supposed to fill out everything on the supplemental app? Or just the red asterisks

I had one go MIA too so I dropped her like a hot potato and used a back up.

Seriously, I think my expected LORs for this cycle changed on a monthly basis.

Everybody is excited to write you a stunning recommendation until the time comes for them to actually do it :mad:

Edit: Words

I'd imagine that, among other reasons, they do non-refundable deposits to avoid people wasting their time by putting deposits down at multiple schools. It's unfortunate that you had to withdrawal you acceptance, but if they were to make an exception for one person than that would open up a whole new can of worms with people wanting refunds for one reason or another. They have a policy and they chose to stick to it.

Thank you for your reply. I understod their policy when I submitted my deposit but because of my situation I decided that i didnt have anything to lose by asking because schools and people in general make exceptions to the rules all of the time, whether or not they dulge that to other students or not. The purpose of my post was to share my experience, while you may not be able to relate it may strike a cord with someonelse and save them an app fee. Good luck to you during this application cycle.

Thank you for your reply. I understod their policy when I submitted my deposit but because of my situation I decided that i didnt have anything to lose by asking because schools and people in general make exceptions to the rules all of the time, whether or not they dulge that to other students or not. The purpose of my post was to share my experience, while you may not be able to relate it may strike a cord with someonelse and save them an app fee. Good luck to you during this application cycle.
Above all things medically and application related, I hope that your situation has improved, and that you are doing well.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry, but sounds too much like a personal problem and not the school's fault. Like someone else posted, the school has a policy, which you agreed to, and they are not obligated to break their agreement with you because of a special circumstance. If they do, then it would be even worse off for them for picking-and-choosing which cases they would refund money for, which would equal bias. Also, I don't know how else the school could have accommodated you. You literally said you aren't sure because of your hardship when you would be able to resume school again, so how can they defer an admittance for you? Also, what else do you expect the school to do for you???

Thank you for your reply. Of course it would have been an longer post if I quoted word from word from all of my exhanges with the admissions office. I did not ask for my acceptance to be defered because of the uncertainty of my situation, I was merely stating that even if I wanted to defered I was informed by the school that a deferment request is not always granted its based on "them picking-and-choosing which cases" to defer. My situation is definitely personal as will every situation any future physician will face with their patients, the community and anyone else they help in life. Now that my situation has lighten I wanted to share my personal experience, which as I mentioned may vary from another student or applicant. Good luck to you during this application cycle.

It's not a prompt. You are to upload a PDF of the document typed.

You're right. I believe I got the 500 word limit information from previous year threads.

This is a dumb question, but are we supposed to fill out everything on the supplemental app? Or just the red asterisks
Just fill out everything. Don't leave anything undone. Every little bit of effort counts!

There are a good number of students from Alabama and surrounding states, but there are many of us from far away lands as well, so I'd say no.
I am OOS and have no connections to the state. How do I answer the general "Why Dothan, AL" question? I like the school, but I think the school may not like me back for that reason. Please advise.

I am OOS and have no connections to the state. How do I answer the general "Why Dothan, AL" question? I like the school, but I think the school may not like me back for that reason. Please advise.
There's a lot of great things about the city. Your best bet is to research the area and see if you find a connection. If your responses sound ingenuine or scripted, it will show and not in a good way.

Last edited:
Regarding the secondaries, would it be alright to reference topics in one's personal statement. Not necessarily rehash them, but perhaps expand upon them.

Very grateful I received one today as I am quite the underdog!

Regarding the secondaries, would it be alright to reference topics in one's personal statement. Not necessarily rehash them, but perhaps expand upon them.

That what I did in my BCOM essay. I think the more pictures you provide them about yourself , the better chance you may have.

I just decided to throw ACOM in my list. Submitted my primary lol.

I didn't see that in my essay questions...I haven't opened any further than my email, though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

I didn't see that in my essay questions...I haven't opened any further than my email, though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile
I know that is a standard question on the interview at ACOM. It's not on the secondary.

There's a lot of great things about the city. Your best bet is to research the area and see if you find a connection. If your responses sound ingenuine or scripted, it will show and not in a good way.
Agreed. It's a total crapshoot. Not sure how to feel about living in a small town coming from a metro area, but I love the school because of its affiliation with the SAMC. A major part of my decision is based on the fact that ACOM is SAMC initiated endeavor.

Agreed. It's a total crapshoot. Not sure how to feel about living in a small town coming from a metro area, but I love the school because of its affiliation with the SAMC. A major part of my decision is based on the fact that ACOM is SAMC initiated endeavor.
I would build on that tieing in any other activities. For myself, I run outdoors a lot and love the many trails and also the many tennis courts. In short, I'm excited at the chance to be in a health-friendly city. Albeit in addition to what you just stated.

Last edited:

If you feel that it will help the admission committee know you better by elaborating on the topics covered in the PS, go for it! I personally think the real estate for our PS is quite scant.
Fellow underdog and a reapplicant here. Just remember that ACOM interviews a ton of students, so when you do get an interview, make sure you ace it. Good Luck!

Those who submitted secondaries, did you feel compelled to write out a full 1 page response for both parts a and b? I know quality over quantity but I can't help but wonder.

Those who submitted secondaries, did you feel compelled to write out a full 1 page response for both parts a and b? I know quality over quantity but I can't help but wonder.
I did about 3/4 pages single spaced for each. I didn't want it to sound like I was just trying to fill space.

I won't be able to apply till late July, but I had a wonderful conversation with Mrs. Linda yesterday.
Matriculation averages for last cycle are 3.3 / 502-503 for all those wondering. More emphasis on the GPA than MCAT.

Reactions: 5 users
Got an application complete email today, hoping to get an II here! They have the absolute nicest admissions office.

I won't be able to apply till late July, but I had a wonderful conversation with Mrs. Linda yesterday.
Matriculation averages for last cycle are 3.3 / 502-503 for all those wondering. More emphasis on the GPA than MCAT.

God, I hope I am that outlier then--my MCAT is a 497 which is probably 2 SDs away from their average, but my GPA is a 3.48 cum and 3.41 sci (3.6 last two years for both). I will be a tier 2 applicant, but I hope to be one of them to receive an acceptance (finger crossed). Hopefully being from FL offers that slight bump to get an II.

Does anyone know if this school (or any DO school in general) provides leniency for higher GPAs but slightly lower MCATs?