Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed today. Was told by Dr. Reynolds that the committee hasn't yet met to evaluate the 10/7 group so it'll be another week. Good luck.

Appreciate the info. Good luck to you too!

Members don't see this ad.

So ACOM isn't accepting 1 of my 2 science letters. I'm currently finishing up my last semester of my masters program and can potentially get one from the end of this semester. Do you think if I send in a letter by December/Jan it'd be too late?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed today. Was told by Dr. Reynolds that the committee hasn't yet met to evaluate the 10/7 group so it'll be another week. Good luck.
How was the interview? Intense? Relaxed? Andy tips? I interview on Nov 18.

Last edited:
How was the interview? Intense? Relaxed? Andy tips? I interview there on the 24th.

Not exactly an interview but more of a casual conversation. Don't go into the interview with the mentality as such.

ACOM starts off the day throwing tons of facts about the school's history, progress, and achievements. They did an amazing job selling the school. Utilize this information and try to relate/tie it to your own experiences then present these similarities during the interview. I did this by taking quick notes during each presentation and believed it worked favorably for me because it made my reasons for wanting to attend ACOM seem more believable.

Some of the typical questions you'd expect like why medicine, why DO, why ACOM, and tell me about yourself were never asked directly during my interview, hence why I believe it to be more of a casual conversation. Instead, I had an interviewer who thoroughly reviewed my application and LORs. His questions were specifically tailored to the quirks of my application with the aim of getting to know me. Since it was a 2:1 interview format, I felt the other interviewer was in charge of scripted questions and had no prior knowledge of my application. Even his questions were quite standard and included ones such as "tell me about your leadership experiences"and "what do you do for fun." I didn't feel rushed or feel like I was being grilled. No questions were a surprise and keep in mind that I currently work 2 part-time jobs so I hardly prepared for it. Hell, midway into it, they even spent some more time trying to convince me that I was a good fit for the school. Lastly, pay attention to the momentary pauses throughout the interview and take that as your cue to continue the conversation. There was also a significantly long pause towards the end to give you a chance to impress them with any last minute info.

I could go on and on about my post-interview analysis, but I digress. I was pretty much sold on ACOM the moment a cute-looking girl was walking through the building's entrance, took the initiative to ask if I had an interview, smiled, and sincerely wished me good luck. I anxiously hope I get a call from Dr. Reynolds in the following 2 weeks as the school has steadily risen to the top of my list.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Not exactly an interview but more of a casual conversation. Don't go into the interview with the mentality as such.

ACOM starts off the day throwing tons of facts about the school's history, progress, and achievements. They did an amazing job selling the school. Utilize this information and try to relate/tie it to your own experiences then present these similarities during the interview. I did this by taking quick notes during each presentation and believed it worked favorably for me because it made my reasons for wanting to attend ACOM seem more believable.

Some of the typical questions you'd expect like why medicine, why DO, why ACOM, and tell me about yourself were never asked directly during my interview, hence why I believe it to be more of a casual conversation. Instead, I had an interviewer who thoroughly reviewed my application and LORs. His questions were specifically tailored to the quirks of my application with the aim of getting to know me. Since it was a 2:1 interview format, I felt the other interviewer was in charge of scripted questions and had no prior knowledge of my application. Even his questions quite standard and included ones such as "tell me about your leadership experiences"and "what do you do for fun." I didn't feel rushed or feel like I was being grilled. No questions were a surprise and keep in mind that I currently work 2 part-time jobs so I hardly prepared for it. Hell, midway into it, they even spent some more time trying to convince me that I was a good fit for the school. Lastly, pay attention to the momentary pauses throughout the interview and take that as your cue to continue the conversation. There was also a significantly long pause towards the end to give you a chance to impress them with any last minute info.

I could go on and on about my post-interview analysis, but I digress. I was pretty much sold on ACOM the moment a cute-looking girl was walking through the building's entrance, took the initiative to ask if I had an interview, smiled, and sincerely wished me good luck. I anxiously hope I get a call from Dr. Reynolds in the following 2 weeks as the school has steadily risen to the top of my list.
Awesome! Great advice. Thanks!

Tough decision but I'll be declining my acceptance here. Best of luck to all of you. I'm sure you will be amazing doctors!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users

Some of the typical questions you'd expect like why medicine, why DO, why ACOM, and tell me about yourself were never asked directly during my interview, hence why I believe it to be more of a casual conversation. Instead, I had an interviewer who thoroughly reviewed my application and LORs. His questions were specifically tailored to the quirks of my application with the aim of getting to know me. Since it was a 2:1 interview format, I felt the other interviewer was in charge of scripted questions and had no prior knowledge of my application. Even his questions quite standard and included ones such as "tell me about your leadership experiences"and "what do you do for fun." I didn't feel rushed or feel like I was being grilled. No questions were a surprise and keep in mind that I currently work 2 part-time jobs so I hardly prepared for it. Hell, midway into it, they even spent some more time trying to convince me that I was a good fit for the school. Lastly, pay attention to the momentary pauses throughout the interview and take that as your cue to continue the conversation. There was also a significantly long pause towards the end to give you a chance to impress them with any last minute info.

Your experience is pretty much similar to mine during my interview. I did not feel rushed at all, instead, I feel very at ease. Not like any other interviews that I went too. Truly, I'll pick ACOM over many schools because it is truly feel like home to me. I could careless about others stuff that they are doing to improve like boards because I believe it is my part to do well on those with the foundation medical knowledge ACOM gives.

Reactions: 2 users
Declined my acceptance here! Good luck everyone :)

Been complete since August 10th and still no news. Everyone else seems to be hearing back within a few weeks. I called the school and they keep saying my application is still under review. Is this most likely a silent rejection?

How strict is ACOM with regards to 2 science LOR's? I have 1 science LOR and one non science LOR, but I'm working on acquiring my 2nd science one. Can my secondary be processed without the 2nd science LOR?

Giving up my interview here after KCU-COM acceptance. My interview is December 9th, if anyone wants it I will wait a couple days until someone PMs me and I will arrange with them an exact time to do it so they can snag it! Good luck to you all, keep your eye on the prize, you will end up where your meant to be !!!

Reactions: 6 users
Giving up my interview here after KCU-COM acceptance. My interview is December 9th, if anyone wants it I will wait a couple days until someone PMs me and I will arrange with them an exact time to do it so they can snag it! Good luck to you all, keep your eye on the prize, you will end up where your meant to be !!!
Edit: The spot has been taken

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IF anyone is going to give up an interview slot before January can you please inbox me! Thanks!

Hello guys. I just reserved a room with 2 beds at holidays inn 8 miles from the school. My interview is on October 28th. If anybody wanna half the price with me PM me.

Interviewed on Friday and I am quite sold on ACOM. Desperately hoping for a good phone call Friday or next week.

For those that already had their interviews, do you recommend taking ACOM shuttle? The flier says that the shuttle leaves Comfort Inn & Suites at 8:45, so did it leave you with enough time for check-in/registration before the Welcome from the Dean at 9:00?

Thanks a lot!

I definitely recommend those wishing to move their interview dates up to check the interview page frequently. I was scheduled for Feb 17 and was able to move it to this Friday because an opening came up!

I definitely recommend those wishing to move their interview dates up to check the interview page frequently. I was scheduled for Feb 17 and was able to move it to this Friday because an opening came up!
You must have been spamming that refresh button every 5 mins lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrawing my acceptance, but good luck to all of you! ACOM is an amazing school

Congrats on your acceptance(s), just out of curiosity did you get in MD with 499? Thats awesome!!

Yes I did:) its my in state so it's been a huge blessing! I took the MCAT twice, and I didn't think I'd get in with it being that low. I still can't believe it! I had 4 other MD interviews, and I canceled them.

I loved ACOM but U of A is just the better choice for me.

What MD?!?!

I got accepted to University of Arizona - Tucson. I also interviewed with University of Washington not so long ago, and had 4 other MD interview offers. However, I think U of A is where I will end up:)

I got accepted to University of Arizona - Tucson. I also interviewed with University of Washington not so long ago, and had 4 other MD interview offers. However, I think U of A is where I will end up:)

Good luck buddy :)

Good luck buddy :)

Thank you!!:) I know you'll more than likely be coming here. Good luck to you too! I thought Dothan was so beautiful. Much more than cacti, which will be my scenery lol

Yes I did:) its my in state so it's been a huge blessing! I took the MCAT twice, and I didn't think I'd get in with it being that low. I still can't believe it! I had 4 other MD interviews, and I canceled them.

WOW you rock!! good for you, that is awesome. That 4.0 GPA definitely saved the day I would imagine. Good luck and congrats

Call up ad coms and be like "idk who medschoolplease123 is but i want my interview to go to them"...

I'm interviewing on the 28th and starting to get really really nervous! Also excited but mostly nervous. I scheduled my flight out to be the night after my interview so I can spend time exploring the area. Anyone have suggestions for places I should check out while I'm there?

Can anyone who has interviewed at ACOM and BCOM PM me please?

I'm interviewing on the 28th and starting to get really really nervous! Also excited but mostly nervous. I scheduled my flight out to be the night after my interview so I can spend time exploring the area. Anyone have suggestions for places I should check out while I'm there?
Chick Fil A

To all the fellow female pre-meds who've interviewed already, did you bring a small purse or a cross body? Are flats or small-heeled shoes the best way to go?

For those that already had their interviews, do you recommend taking ACOM shuttle? The flier says that the shuttle leaves Comfort Inn & Suites at 8:45, so did it leave you with enough time for check-in/registration before the Welcome from the Dean at 9:00?

Thanks a lot!

I was too anxious/paranoid to wait around for the shuttle. I arrived early and just talked with other candidates.

To all the fellow female pre-meds who've interviewed already, did you bring a small purse or a cross body? Are flats or small-heeled shoes the best way to go?

I had a purse. The majority of the girls in my group also had small purses
I used small heels, but wear whatever makes you most comfortable! I saw many girls wore flats as well

Last edited:
You must have been spamming that refresh button every 5 mins lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using SDN mobile
I actually just got super lucky! I bookmarked the page with the intention to spam but found an opening my second try! The opening showed up and I seriously doubted whether it was real or not. Had to call to confirm I had actually booked that interview.

So after some soul searching, I decided to throw caution in the wind and move up my interview date to this Friday! Anyone else interviewing this Friday?

I'm coming up from Miami, Florida and am wondering about travel options. It's an 8.5 hour drive for me, and tickets are ridiculously expensive to fly into Dothan. How did you guys reach ACOM?

I'm coming up from Miami, Florida and am wondering about travel options. It's an 8.5 hour drive for me, and tickets are ridiculously expensive to fly into Dothan. How did you guys reach ACOM?

FLy into Atlanta or Panama City. 8.5H drive isn't bad, and you probably want a car when you get there anyway.

Last edited:
Drove from West palm. Cheapest way but it sure was a boring drive past north florida! Still worth it to save the money imo.

I brought a medium sized tote bag that could fit my portfolio. I also wore flats and that's what I saw majority of ladies wearing. But just wear whatever you're comfortable in!

After many other interviews, ACOM still ranks number one as making me feel welcome and selling the school. Good luck to everyone interviewing!

Reactions: 8 users
After many other interviews, ACOM still ranks number one as making me feel welcome and selling the school. Good luck to everyone interviewing!
I'm feeling like home there. Haha.

Drove from Tampa, Fl and it was about 8 hours for me. I would suggest driving if you don't have anywhere important to go the day after the interview.

I brought a plain black leather purse that was big enough to hold my folder but not too large to be ridiculous. I also wore like 3 1/2 inch heels and ended up being like 6'2 in them and towered over my interviewers :laugh: but it made my outfit look more professional than my flats. In the interview attire thread some of the posts discouraged flats with a skirt but said they were okay with pants. Honestly though, whatever you are comfortable in should be fine as long as you look professional!

edited because apparently my fingers cannot hit the right numbers on the keyboard..

Last edited: