Boston University vs. UIC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grapplinghook

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks!

I'm a senior in high school who applied to a bunch of those BS/MD programs that guarantee a spot in med school and am weighing the pros and cons of two different progams. The problem is, besides the superficial information provided by each individual school's website, I am not sure what the comparison is between the two. I much prefer the BU undergraduate atmosphere but know next to nothing about the merits of the two med schools. Anyways, I'd love for someone's insight.

BTW: UIC GPPA is 8 years compared to BU's 7. I'm also an Illinois resident so tuition might play a role.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! I will throw in my two cents here. I don't have a ton of insight on the topic of the medical schools: I know both are excellent schools from which you can do pretty much whatever you want. I looked at BU for med school. It definitely seems to have a strong epidemiology/public health focus if that's what you're interested in.

However...I think you answered your own question. You are going to be an undergraduate for the next four years; you want to go where you would be happiest/most comfortable during that period. It seems like BU was that place for you. Afterwards, who knows where you will end up for med school. Have tons of fun during undergrad, study, and worry about med school when the time comes. You will definitely be happy you have the guaranteed acceptance when application time comes. Good luck with your decision:luck:

Definitely BU, better program, better city, and uic doesn't guarantee you that you'll do med school in Chicago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps my information can help you a bit.

A lot of my friends are in the UIC GPPA (MD/BS) program. First of all, the majority (90%) easily graduate in 3 years, those who do not, do so for personal reasons. So in all honesty, UIC's combined program is also 7 years. Its extremely doable.

Also almost all get placed in the UIC Chicago track, but its not guaranteed. I'd say the biggest positives over going to BU would be UIC's awesome clinical experience (your 3rd and 4th years). UIC's hospital system is huge and you'll get to interact with so many patients and etc. And undergrad tuition at UIC is so cheap compared to BU undergrad and the GPPA students get scholarships, also BU med school is somewhat more expensive than UIC's.

Now in terms of undergrad, BU is better hands down. Its not that UIC doesnt have the resources or quality, but BU is much more of a college experience. If you are thinking of going to these combined programs and then applying out, then undergrad experience matters, if you simply are going to the undergrad just to get to the guaranteed med school, then you shouldnt choose based on the undergrad but rather the med school.

BU's medical school is def great, but I'm I'd honestly put UIC's clinical experience and exposure as better. In terms of their curriculums, I'm not really sure which is better, BU is probably ranked a bit higher.

I'd really suggest you look at each Med School's website and check out their curriculums. Both programs are really strong. Id choose UIC cause of chicago and clinical experience, but BU for better undergrad and perhaps a slightly higher ranking.

Well thats my rant. I hope it helps.

Thanks for all your prompt responses.
I looked at the med school fees and over 4 years, BU will come out to $60,000 more. Do you think that the education there is worth that much more? For those of you are familiar with the UIC med school campuses, how does the Chicago campus compare to the others?

The campuses vary drastically, all of course train you well, but Chicago's in my opinion is the best and most exciting, also like I mentioned clinically its amazing. Thats not to say peoria or rockford arent good, but theyre small cities that arent very exciting. Honestly, pretty much all GPPA kids get Chicago. If you go to UIC youll get really cheap instate undergrad tuition. So you save even more more money.

Also, I honestly don't see a huge difference between BU and UIC. Obviously if you love boston or have connection there then go ahead, but if everything else is equal, save your self lots of money and go to UIC.

Of course this is just my opinion and I am bias, it seems you are indifferent.

Perhaps my information can help you a bit.

A lot of my friends are in the UIC GPPA (MD/BS) program. First of all, the majority (90%) easily graduate in 3 years, those who do not, do so for personal reasons. So in all honesty, UIC's combined program is also 7 years. Its extremely doable.

Also almost all get placed in the UIC Chicago track, but its not guaranteed. I'd say the biggest positives over going to BU would be UIC's awesome clinical experience (your 3rd and 4th years). UIC's hospital system is huge and you'll get to interact with so many patients and etc. And undergrad tuition at UIC is so cheap compared to BU undergrad and the GPPA students get scholarships, also BU med school is somewhat more expensive than UIC's.

Now in terms of undergrad, BU is better hands down. Its not that UIC doesnt have the resources or quality, but BU is much more of a college experience. If you are thinking of going to these combined programs and then applying out, then undergrad experience matters, if you simply are going to the undergrad just to get to the guaranteed med school, then you shouldnt choose based on the undergrad but rather the med school.

BU's medical school is def great, but I'm I'd honestly put UIC's clinical experience and exposure as better. In terms of their curriculums, I'm not really sure which is better, BU is probably ranked a bit higher.

I'd really suggest you look at each Med School's website and check out their curriculums. Both programs are really strong. Id choose UIC cause of chicago and clinical experience, but BU for better undergrad and perhaps a slightly higher ranking.

Well thats my rant. I hope it helps.

I don't know much about the UIC system, but I will say that Boston Medical Center (the primary BU hospital) is the safety net hospital for the Boston area. That means you work with a great number of underserved patients and see a lot of advanced progression disorders that you may not find elsewhere.

Its a tough call though, as UIC is significantly cheaper. In the long run though, these are 7 years of the prime of your life. Go with where you'll be happier as long as the price difference is somewhat reasonable.

Again, thanks for the help in making this difficult decision. I recently found out that I was accepted to Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, and UChicago so now I have three more choices to add to this conundrum. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.