Campbell University (CUSOM) DIscussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
im not sure what your question is. dont overthink it, it means exactly what it says no more no less

Thanks for your help. I guess I thought it sounded like they stopped reviewing applications and will start again in the next two weeks. I guess I just need to chill out, this whole application process is making me crazy.

Members don't see this ad.

Interview tomorrow! Just checked into my hotel!

Thanks for your help. I guess I thought it sounded like they stopped reviewing applications and will start again in the next two weeks. I guess I just need to chill out, this whole application process is making me crazy.

No worries, just breathe and let the process occur:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Who's the admin for the facebook group? I want to join in!

My bad Mosonik, I accidently dropped my phone in the toilet lol so I have been slacking with the facebook group the last few days. I accepted all of the requests today!

Interview tomorrow! Just checked into my hotel!

If you go look at the school tonight you should take some pictures of the building so that when you get accepted and join the facebook page you can upload the pictures for us to see the progress of the building :D

we would greatly appreciate it!

If you go look at the school tonight you should take some pictures of the building so that when you get accepted and join the facebook page you can upload the pictures for us to see the progress of the building :D

we would greatly appreciate it!

:thumbup:

Officially withdrawing my other acceptances and invites in
favor of CU-SOM. Guess Gaylord the Camel is my new mascot:D

Just interviewed here today, LOVED IT, took some pics for you guys looking for construction updates

Just interviewed here today, LOVED IT, took some pics for you guys looking for construction updates

Awesome, thank you! do you want to join the Facebook page and upload them when you get a chance :D I know I'm needy.... but I think we are all dying to see some updates.

Glad the interview went well for all of you! Go Camels :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the call yesterday! Accepted for next year!!!

Anyone know if they're still reviewing applicants? I.e. anyone received ii recently?

Looks like they've filled up pretty quickly.
Anyone hear how many seats are left? Anyone received a waitlist, yet?

They are far from full. Last I heard they had accepted 20 folks and it is early in the season- not all the accepted will matriculate.

At my interview I believe they said 45 seats had been filled, and that they wouldn't start a waitlist until the class was full. That was this past week and I believe a couple of us were accepted since then.

Well, I kinda screwed the pooch and waited until last week to submit the secondary.
Initially applied way earlier. It kinda got lost in the mass of supplemental emails.

Would be a nice safety school, being in-state. Not sure how an ACGME gen surg match would work out, though. Especially compared to PCOM, which I'm anticipating.

Did any one apply without a MD or a DO recommendation? I have no idea who I should be asking for a LOR.

For anybody with specific questions regarding the school or application (ie letters of rec), I cannot reiterate enough to contact Joy or Mattie in admissions. They are very friendly and will do their best to help you in any way during this process that can, at least most of the time, be overwhelming.
Or PM me, I am accepted here and will likely be attending in the fall

Interview invite today!!! Ahhh anyone find a good way to travel/have any advice from recent interview days?!? Soo excited!!!

Congrats to you both! I am sure you will enjoy your day and come away as excited about CUSOM as the rest of us!

Interview invite today!!! Ahhh anyone find a good way to travel/have any advice from recent interview days?!? Soo excited!!!

Congrats! I think the holiday inn express that is in fuquay varina (10 miles north of Campbell) gives you a $120 room at the holiday inn express for only $75 dollars if you tell them you are interviewing at Campbell. I think there are other hotels down there that do this too. Just call them and ask what their Campbell university discount is.

Congrats all you future interviewees!!! I'm sure you'll fall in love with the school like I and a bunch of others did. I chose CUSOM over UMDNJ, KCUMB, and LECOM. I am so stoked for CUSOM, its going to be an amazing year :) I wish all of you the best of luck and hope to see you all around campus soon.

congrats all you future interviewees!!! I'm sure you'll fall in love with the school like i and a bunch of others did. I chose cusom over umdnj, kcumb, and lecom. I am so stoked for cusom, its going to be an amazing year :) i wish all of you the best of luck and hope to see you all around campus soon.

+1

Congrats all you future interviewees!!! I'm sure you'll fall in love with the school like I and a bunch of others did. I chose CUSOM over UMDNJ, KCUMB, and LECOM. I am so stoked for CUSOM, its going to be an amazing year :) I wish all of you the best of luck and hope to see you all around campus soon.

Congrats on your acceptance! What was it about CUSOM you fell in love with?

Ooh good to know!! Thanks! What airport did most people fly in to??

All of the people at my interview (including myself) flew into Raleigh/Durham. It is by far the closest, only with like 45 minute drive from campus.

Congrats on your acceptance! What was it about CUSOM you fell in love with?

Well it was a whole array of things. I believe you shouldn't choose a school just because it is well known or "established." You need to choose a school you feel will provide you with the optimal environment to learn and grow, a school that is suited for you and makes you comfortable. You could go to Johns Hopkins and come out a crappy doctor or do horrible on your boards just because you ignored the cut-throat environment just for the name. So although UMDNJ and KCUMB are considered "top tier" DO schools by the majority, CUSOM to me was a better fit.

For me, I was looking for a school that had/did the following. A school that still uses human cadavers - a lot of schools are turning toward computer simulators as they are more cost effective - I believe the best way to learn anatomy is through real human cadavers. A medical school affiliated with an established academic university - because this allows the med student access to all of the undergrad amenities as well as provides more state/public funds to the med program. And I was also looking for a strong experienced faculty, established clerkship sites, extracurricular medical opportunities, and an up-to-date facility.

CUSOM met every single one of my requirements, with the exception of a good track record (board pass rates and residency match lists) as they are a new school and non-existent. However, after seeing all of the other criteria met, the track record did not become a factor because I feel confident CUSOM will become one of the top DO programs in the nation (in time of course). Affiliated with the undergrad Campbell University, established 2x the amount of clerkship sites than there are 1st year students, set up optional week long international medical trips, in the process of setting up a student-run clinic to treat the local community, a brand new state of the art medical building (the designs are gorgeous by the way), numerous amounts of donations, faculty from Duke Medical School, PCOM, and other top notch programs, and the list goes on.

I hope this helps your decision. haha :)

Well it was a whole array of things. I believe you shouldn't choose a school just because it is well known or "established." You need to choose a school you feel will provide you with the optimal environment to learn and grow, a school that is suited for you and makes you comfortable. You could go to Johns Hopkins and come out a crappy doctor or do horrible on your boards just because you ignored the cut-throat environment just for the name. So although UMDNJ and KCUMB are considered "top tier" DO schools by the majority, CUSOM to me was a better fit.

For me, I was looking for a school that had/did the following. A school that still uses human cadavers - a lot of schools are turning toward computer simulators as they are more cost effective - I believe the best way to learn anatomy is through real human cadavers. A medical school affiliated with an established academic university - because this allows the med student access to all of the undergrad amenities as well as provides more state/public funds to the med program. And I was also looking for a strong experienced faculty, established clerkship sites, extracurricular medical opportunities, and an up-to-date facility.

CUSOM met every single one of my requirements, with the exception of a good track record (board pass rates and residency match lists) as they are a new school and non-existent. However, after seeing all of the other criteria met, the track record did not become a factor because I feel confident CUSOM will become one of the top DO programs in the nation (in time of course). Affiliated with the undergrad Campbell University, established 2x the amount of clerkship sites than there are 1st year students, set up optional week long international medical trips, in the process of setting up a student-run clinic to treat the local community, a brand new state of the art medical building (the designs are gorgeous by the way), numerous amounts of donations, faculty from Duke Medical School, PCOM, and other top notch programs, and the list goes on.

I hope this helps your decision. haha :)

Well said.... put my exact thoughts into words better than I could have

I have an interview on the 22nd! So excited! Seems like an amazing school! Congrats to all those who have already been accepted :)

Do they have a traditional curriculum?

My impression was it is systems-based with a lot of hybrid methods incorporated, such as case-based. Dr Mahalik has a ton of experience from creating the pre-clinical/biomedical science curriculum for many med schools including LECOM, VCOM, and teaching at PCOM.

They stressed to me during interviews the emphasis on team-based learning too, so that will likely be their little twist to make it their own (each school does this in some way) and something we'll using frequently as they have many break out rooms being built and devoted to this.

Last edited:
I have an interview on the 22nd! So excited! Seems like an amazing school! Congrats to all those who have already been accepted :)

Good luck Roxaholic! If you have any questions, feel free to let any of us frequent CU-SOM posters know. Clearly we are enthusiastic about being part of the inaugural class of this great school :D

Haha thanks. Since you're name is MedicMike, are you planning on doing the HPSP scholarship also?

I'm somewhat of a non trad in that I was a paramedic when I decided I wanted to become a doctor. That's where the name comes from.

However, I was really interested in doing the HPSP program because I think it would be an awesome experience and great not to end up a quarter million in debt lol but I am still not sure what field I want to end up in and I have heard that the HPSP students can be limited when it comes to picking a residency an specialty, and that kinda scared me away.

Plus, my fiancée didn't want me to do it lol so probably to whole truth is that if I were single I would probably be more heavily considering HPSP

Does anyone know much about their tuition rate? I thought I saw something regarding the first year class and now I can't find it.

Does anyone know much about their tuition rate? I thought I saw something regarding the first year class and now I can't find it.

Tuition is being set at 39500

On another note, just made a class thread in the Medical Forums. Hard to believe we are soon to be "medical students". Join in the forum when you are accepted!

Ahhhh it's been a month and I just realized I never got a complete e-mail for my secondary...does that mean they may have not received mine? :(

Ahhhh it's been a month and I just realized I never got a complete e-mail for my secondary...does that mean they may have not received mine? :(

Perhaps. You should call and check on it.

They have been great every time I've contacted them!

ACCEPTED 10/25!:love: I'm from PA and that did not seem to be an issue for Campbell at all so I would not be discouraged if you are out of state. I liked Campbell so much more than I expected, and I think it's going to be a really great school.

Aceepted today as wellll....had the interview on Tuesday so amazing responseee time.