Colorado State c/o 2021 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ya I'm pretty disappointed. I loved the CSU program so much but I feel like it would be risky to not accept another offer (granted I get one) while waiting to hear about my alternate status...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You could always put down a deposit for a seat at another school you like and then wait to hear from CSU if they are your top. If you get in you'd lose your deposit but could be worth it if you feel it's where you really want to go

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You could always put down a deposit for a seat at another school you like and then wait to hear from CSU if they are your top. If you get in you'd lose your deposit but could be worth it if you feel it's where you really want to go

That's great advice, I don't know why I didn't think of that! Thank you :)

Reactions: 1 users
Ya I'm pretty disappointed. I loved the CSU program so much but I feel like it would be risky to not accept another offer (granted I get one) while waiting to hear about my alternate status...

I completely understand best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
FWIW for the people who are alternates: I am aware of CSU accepting people off the list before the April deadline, but it's not super common and most people are let in after the April deadline. Not sure how big the alt pool is this year/how it normally moves, but I do know that sometimes CSU will offer nonsponsored positions to IS students that they really like but they don't have the IS seats for (which also means you are essentially an OOS student for tuition purposes...). At most schools OOS wait lists tend to move faster/more frequently than IS wait lists, especially if OOS tuition is high (as it is at CSU lol), so I wouldn't be surprised if a few of you OOS folks got called off the alt list after the April deadline.

I know a ton of great, amazing veterinary students at CSU who got in off both the IS and OOS lists, so I'm wishing the best of luck to you all! :)

FWIW for the people who are alternates: I am aware of CSU accepting people off the list before the April deadline, but it's not super common and most people are let in after the April deadline. Not sure how big the alt pool is this year/how it normally moves, but I do know that sometimes CSU will offer nonsponsored positions to IS students that they really like but they don't have the IS seats for (which also means you are essentially an OOS student for tuition purposes...). At most schools OOS wait lists tend to move faster/more frequently than IS wait lists, especially if OOS tuition is high (as it is at CSU lol), so I wouldn't be surprised if a few of you OOS folks got called off the alt list after the April deadline.

I know a ton of great, amazing veterinary students at CSU who got in off both the IS and OOS lists, so I'm wishing the best of luck to you all! :)

Thanks for this information! Do you know if everyone who interviewed is automatically an alternate (I've heard of this at one other school), or could it (hopefully) be a smaller pool than that? I also haven't heard of any rejections yet

Thanks for this information! Do you know if everyone who interviewed is automatically an alternate (I've heard of this at one other school), or could it (hopefully) be a smaller pool than that? I also haven't heard of any rejections yet

I don't know since they haven't interviewed in a long time! I'm curious if anyone who interviewed has actually received a rejection as I haven't seen any so far, but I obviously have a limited sample size so I couldn't say for certain. There was some wording on their supplemental application that had made me think anyone who interviewed would either be an alternate or be offered a position when I read it, but that line isn't on the CSA anymore so I have no idea haha.

I don't know since they haven't interviewed in a long time! I'm curious if anyone who interviewed has actually received a rejection as I haven't seen any so far, but I obviously have a limited sample size so I couldn't say for certain. There was some wording on their supplemental application that had made me think anyone who interviewed would either be an alternate or be offered a position when I read it, but that line isn't on the CSA anymore so I have no idea haha.

Technically I received a rejection letter but I was offered a spot in the vet prep program which guarantees acceptance to the class of 2022 after my masters so I'm not sure if they are actually outright rejecting anyone...

Technically I received a rejection letter but I was offered a spot in the vet prep program which guarantees acceptance to the class of 2022 after my masters so I'm not sure if they are actually outright rejecting anyone...
Yeah that's what I'm curious about, it still sounds like they haven't outright rejected anybody. Congrats on Vet Prep though, that's a great program! My current roommate was in it. :)

Me too, is CSU your first choice? I asked for more information about how many alternates there were and how many nonsponsored were offered admission, but they can't reveal that information I gues...

Yeah, it's my top choice! I had a friend get alternate status last year and she was eventually accepted. So, I'm staying hopeful.

Yeah, it's my top choice! I had a friend get alternate status last year and she was eventually accepted. So, I'm staying hopeful.

Do you know when she was accepted? I imagine there will be at least 10 people to decline their seats based on the cost of admission and getting accepted to their in state...

Do you know when she was accepted? I imagine there will be at least 10 people to decline their seats based on the cost of admission and getting accepted to their in state...

I heard it's very dependent from year to year I was told some colleges go through their entire waitlist while some only pull a couple. While we (alternates) are all hopeful I don't think there's a guaranteed percentage/stat of applicants that decline their offers. Good luck to all of us alternates!

Congrats on getting into the Vet Prep program! I wonder if CSU already notified all of their Vet Prep candidates, I definitely would not mind doing an extra year to get a guaranteed spot in my #1.

Given OOS offer at CSU, tuition is $$$$. Thinking of requesting for a deferral at CSU and reapplying to an IS school and hope to get in next year so tuition is cheaper for me. Then deny CSU. This sounds completely bizarre and selfish. But money....

Anyone have an opinion? Is this possible?

Members don't see this ad :)
Given OOS offer at CSU, tuition is $$$$. Thinking of requesting for a deferral at CSU and reapplying to an IS school and hope to get in next year so tuition is cheaper for me. Then deny CSU. This sounds completely bizarre and selfish. But money....

Too late now, but this is why we always urge applicants to only apply to schools they're willing to attend after looking at cost, location, etc; to avoid this situation.

Schools vary a lot in how willing they are to let you defer. Usually requires an OK reason (health, family things, etc). "I want to apply to my IS and blow you off next year if I get in" is not that great of a reason, but hey, all you can do is ask.

I had a meeting with the CSU Vet financial advisor yesterday and he was extremely helpful! The site vin.com is amazing for simulating debt and repayment options (including if you expect to get married and have kids etc and how that affects your debt). The best thing to do is go into it with eyes wide open. He did mention that you couldn't defer at CSU but I am almost positive I read on the website that you can. I think something to consider is that if you took a year off what would you be doing? If you are saving money to offset the debt, that's certainly a plus if it's substantial. What I got out of my meeting is the less loans you take out, the better off you'll be (sort of obvious, but can be confusing with the repayment options, I didn't realize you had to pay tax on your debt forgiven which is like $150k+ the year of your forgiveness).

I think it really depends on your financial situation. For me, I have been saving a ton to pay for this, so OOS tuition is not as scary because I can at least cover living expenses with my savings. I don't want to be biased, but I'm a fan of you denying CSU since I'm an alternate ;)

What I got out of my meeting is the less loans you take out, the better off you'll be (sort of obvious, but can be confusing with the repayment options, I didn't realize you had to pay tax on your debt forgiven which is like $150k+ the year of your forgiveness).

One thing to keep in mind: there is no guarantee those loan forgiveness plans will be in place when you graduate, let alone 20 years later. Unfortunately, you cannot sign up for these plans and be locked in to an agreement that they will be forgiven.

Previously, there's been talk about limiting federal loan forgiveness programs to $57,000. I have no idea what the current administration/congress plan to do. Really, anything can happen. If the programs change drastically I'm sure there would be something in place for the people who have been counting on it, but really, who knows.

Congrats everyone that got offered admission and alternate spots (cause that still means your rockstars!)!!! Can't wait to meet those of you that choose to go here.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to decide between 2 schools? I got accepted to here and Ohio State and they are my top 2 choices and I can't seem to figure out how to decide between them! I already know about the tuition differences (since at Ohio you can become in-state after your first year) but, thankfully, I don't have to worry too much about this

Anyone have any suggestions on how to decide between 2 schools? I got accepted to here and Ohio State and they are my top 2 choices and I can't seem to figure out how to decide between them! I already know about the tuition differences (since at Ohio you can become in-state after your first year) but, thankfully, I don't have to worry too much about this

For me I would make the decision based on a few things:
1. Tuition (not an issue for you though, but in state sounds so nice)
2. Quality of education (both are great schools so also not that applicable)
3. Quality of life:
- proximity to family
- weather
- significant other happiness if applicable (will they be happy here?)
- bike friendliness
- cost of living
- things to do
4. Overall feel at the interview - could you see yourself there?

Hello! I was at an interview for another school (which shall remain nameless) two weeks ago and two current students separately told me that CSU is VERY competitive. They both said they have friends that are 2nd years at CSU and complain that the atmosphere is cut-throat. I was shocked/bummed to hear this because I loved CSU when I interviewed (got all the good feels) and was just accepted :D I was really thinking of going to CSU but now I'm not sure...

Can any current students comment on these rumors please?!

Hello! I was at an interview for another school (which shall remain nameless) two weeks ago and two current students separately told me that CSU is VERY competitive. They both said they have friends that are 2nd years at CSU and complain that the atmosphere is cut-throat. I was shocked/bummed to hear this because I loved CSU when I interviewed (got all the good feels) and was just accepted :D I was really thinking of going to CSU but now I'm not sure...

:shrug: It is what it is. You know why people feel veterinary students are competitive? It's because getting into veterinary school is competitive. Frankly I know a lot of students at CSU (since I go here lol) and by far don't get the competitive vibe from most of them. I know vet students here who would give an arm and a leg to help me out and that's awesome.

There are obviously competitive people but you will find them in absolutely every veterinary program in the nation, and I think that kind of attitude is very much on an individual basis and not a school basis. Professors and students alike emphasize our roles as colleagues, friends, and supporters of one another and I think that is seen in their/our behaviors and actions. Some classes are a little more nutso than others (we love them anyway ;)) but not really to the degree that the whole environment is toxic and awful.

I know a few current second years and haven't heard anything like that from them. Sometimes you have to consider the source of the information - people who are very vocal about being unhappy are going to be heard a lot more than people who aren't as vocal about feeling perfectly fine even if 99% of the people are in the second category. Also remember that rumors often go through crazy orchestrations through the rumor mill before they get spit out and they don't always match the original message being shared.

Also, in my experience, people who tend to see everyone else as competitive are often either hyper competitive themselves or feel sort of insecure about things they shouldn't. Just my $0.02. :p

:shrug: It is what it is. You know why people feel veterinary students are competitive? It's because getting into veterinary school is competitive. Frankly I know a lot of students at CSU (since I go here lol) and by far don't get the competitive vibe from most of them. I know vet students here who would give an arm and a leg to help me out and that's awesome.

There are obviously competitive people but you will find them in absolutely every veterinary program in the nation, and I think that kind of attitude is very much on an individual basis and not a school basis. Professors and students alike emphasize our roles as colleagues, friends, and supporters of one another and I think that is seen in their/our behaviors and actions. Some classes are a little more nutso than others (we love them anyway ;)) but not really to the degree that the whole environment is toxic and awful.

I know a few current second years and haven't heard anything like that from them. Sometimes you have to consider the source of the information - people who are very vocal about being unhappy are going to be heard a lot more than people who aren't as vocal about feeling perfectly fine even if 99% of the people are in the second category. Also remember that rumors often go through crazy orchestrations through the rumor mill before they get spit out and they don't always match the original message being shared.

Also, in my experience, people who tend to see everyone else as competitive are often either hyper competitive themselves or feel sort of insecure about things they shouldn't. Just my $0.02. :p

Wow wow! Thank you for answering. That was helpful

So I interviewed a while back now (and got accepted), but I was kind of sad that they didn't allow parents to come on the tours. I really like to be able to bounce ideas off my mom and she thinks of things that I don't. Did anyone else feel this way? I also wish we got to see the large animal side of things on the hospital tour (but read somewhere that this is due to bio security reasons).

So I interviewed a while back now (and got accepted), but I was kind of sad that they didn't allow parents to come on the tours. I really like to be able to bounce ideas off my mom and she thinks of things that I don't. Did anyone else feel this way? I also wish we got to see the large animal side of things on the hospital tour (but read somewhere that this is due to bio security reasons).
I'm surprised they didn't let parents come on tours. Wonder if they were just dealing with a large volume of people touring around during the interview day? Do you know how many tours they did on interview day?

Also you might have read the biosecurity thing from me. :laugh:

I'm surprised they didn't let parents come on tours. Wonder if they were just dealing with a large volume of people touring around during the interview day? Do you know how many tours they did on interview day?

Also you might have read the biosecurity thing from me. :laugh:

Yeah I was too! I think that's what they were expecting but it didn't really seem to be that many people. At least on my tours anyways. Everything was really well scheduled out. I think they did about 4 different sessions of each of the 2 tours (the first year building and the hospital) with a few tour guides each. Both of my tours were in the morning since my interview was right after lunch. My mom was kind of miffed about not being able to see everything :laugh:.

Lol yeah probably! I figured it was on here somewhere.

Also, how do you like the faculty? There weren't really any there that I could see besides the dean/associate deans so I'm curious :)

Yeah I was too! I think that's what they were expecting but it didn't really seem to be that many people. At least on my tours anyways. Everything was really well scheduled out. I think they did about 4 different sessions of each of the 2 tours (the first year building and the hospital) with a few tour guides each. Both of my tours were in the morning since my interview was right after lunch. My mom was kind of miffed about not being able to see everything :laugh:.

Lol yeah probably! I figured it was on here somewhere.

Also, how do you like the faculty? There weren't really any there that I could see besides the dean/associate deans so I'm curious :)
I love the faculty! Very wonderful and available and also generally very enthusiastic about teaching and helping students succeed. A lot of them are also downright hilarious, which is a plus in my opinion. :p

A few of them also schedule weekly exercise things to do with students, so I have friends who do yoga and pilates with some of the residents and faculty here and at least two or three of the faculty members do "no drop" (as in no man left behind) runs every week. They also run a lot of brown bag lunches where they talk about things like mental health & wellness or just random stuff students may find interesting.

Also they sometimes like to write jokes about one another in their test questions, lol.

So I interviewed a while back now (and got accepted), but I was kind of sad that they didn't allow parents to come on the tours. I really like to be able to bounce ideas off my mom and she thinks of things that I don't. Did anyone else feel this way?

Yeah I was bummed. My mom has been coming to my interviews with me as well and CSU was the only school that didn't let her go anywhere lol

Does anyone know if incoming students typically receive scholarships? Even with WICHE funding CSU is going to be more expensive than a couple of my other options, so I was hoping scholarships are a possibility to make the costs close to equal

Does anyone know if incoming students typically receive scholarships? Even with WICHE funding CSU is going to be more expensive than a couple of my other options, so I was hoping scholarships are a possibility to make the costs close to equal

I was told there are no institutional scholarships for first years by a student and by the financial advisor

does anyone know if you get access to note packets for all the courses or is it just some? I use OneNote for my courses now and I love it and am hoping I can use it in vet school as well

Last edited:
does anyone know if you get access to note packets for all the courses or is it just some? I use OneNote for my courses now and I love it and am hoping I can use it in vet school as well
They do offer printed note packets for you to buy but notes for almost all classes are given online in advance! I've been using OneNote exclusively so far and it's been pretty good

They do offer printed note packets for you to buy but notes for almost all classes are given online in advance! I've been using OneNote exclusively so far and it's been pretty good
alright awesome! I am trying out onenote this semester in my classes to get the hang of it and make sure i like it before the intensity that is vet school haha

I'm a first year, this has not been my experience at all. There's lots of group studying, resource sharing....we're all a little nutty in the Type-A kind of sense, but that's just how it is. It's worth noting too that we're not pitted against each other for grades, which is nice. We are ranked but I have heard a total of zero people talking about it.

Hey everyone! I've been looking forward to linking up with the class of 2021, and I just spoke with the admissions office. They were pretty unhelpful, actually, and said they wouldn't send out housing information and facebook group invite until early May! I was wondering if any of you know any resources we could use to begin searching for roommates or meeting our future classmates. That's a little late for me to start looking for housing, since I am OOS and would prefer to have something set up. Current students - how did this work for you?

Hey everyone! I've been looking forward to linking up with the class of 2021, and I just spoke with the admissions office. They were pretty unhelpful, actually, and said they wouldn't send out housing information and facebook group invite until early May! I was wondering if any of you know any resources we could use to begin searching for roommates or meeting our future classmates. That's a little late for me to start looking for housing, since I am OOS and would prefer to have something set up. Current students - how did this work for you?
Unfortunately I'm not much help here, maybe @wheelin2vetmed knows more about searching for housing in FoCo as an OOS student?

I went here for undergrad and bumbled my way into a housing arrangement by having a friend in the program put my info on her class facebook page and seeing who was interested. It sucks that the class page won't be up until May though, last year they had it made by January and it was pretty active (although class of 2020 went a little overboard and had made two different pages for themselves by the time the official one got started, lol).

if you figure it out (besides on SDN) let me know because I am quite far away and am worried about finding housing, especially since I want a roommate to help keep my costs down some because living by yourself is lonely plus I would probably become some form of hermit who is all alone :(

Unfortunately I'm not much help here, maybe @wheelin2vetmed knows more about searching for housing in FoCo as an OOS student?

I got nothing, sorry. I'm living in a campus apartment that's a 2 minute roll from class. It's extremely expensive but worth it in my situation.

I got nothing, sorry. I'm living in a campus apartment that's a 2 minute roll from class. It's extremely expensive but worth it in my situation.
What's parking like on campus? I assume it's probably atrocious and expensive? My roommate currently goes to CSU and just takes the max bus. We've got a stop about a 5-minute walk from my apartment which is nice. I'm just wondering since if I'm to class, I'm not sure I will want to wait for the bus. @_@

What's parking like on campus? I assume it's probably atrocious and expensive? My roommate currently goes to CSU and just takes the max bus. We've got a stop about a 5-minute walk from my apartment which is nice. I'm just wondering since if I'm to class, I'm not sure I will want to wait for the bus. @_@

Again, I can't really answer. It's expensive, but I get VIP parking everywhere (handicap spots) and can park in any lot.

I'm a WICHE applicant, too! I probably don't know any more than you, but I was curious as to which state you're from? I'm from AZ and we haven't heard back about funding yet.
I'm from AZ also... So the letter saying I'm non sponsored is what everyone got? No one has been offered a WICHE spot for AZ yet??? This is good news, I thought they had already made their decision. I emailed [email protected] and they told me the spots had already been offered.

I'm from AZ also... So the letter saying I'm non sponsored is what everyone got? No one has been offered a WICHE spot for AZ yet??? This is good news, I thought they had already made their decision. I emailed [email protected] and they told me the spots had already been offered.

I think I got one... ? I got a second letter/offer from CSU on 2/3 that was called a WICHE conditional offer, but it made it sound like I still might not get the funding depending on the budget so I'm honestly kind of confused still lol. But I got a similar thing from OSU and WSU on the same day so I am thinking that's when the decisions were released

Last edited by a moderator:
They did release the decisions a few weeks ago. They just don't contact you directly unfortunately. They let the schools know and the schools would have reached out to you with a conditional WICHE offer. The reason it is conditional is because they have only voted on a proposed budget so far. I think it is during the summer when they officially pass the budget. I haven't heard of anyone not receiving their conditional WICHE offer, so I am just having faith that they don't change the proposed budgets.

They did release the decisions a few weeks ago. They just don't contact you directly unfortunately. They let the schools know and the schools would have reached out to you with a conditional WICHE offer. The reason it is conditional is because they have only voted on a proposed budget so far. I think it is during the summer when they officially pass the budget. I haven't heard of anyone not receiving their conditional WICHE offer, so I am just having faith that they don't change the proposed budgets.

Do you know where you are going yet? :) I'm still trying to figure it out

Do you know where you are going yet? :) I'm still trying to figure it out
Not yet. I am having a hard time deciding. :/ Washington State has a great program and is definitely the more affordable option, but Colorado State also has an amazing program. I loved Fort Collins too. Unfortunately my debt would be about double going to CSU because of higher tuition and greater cost of living. Do you have a school that you are leaning towards right now?

Not yet. I am having a hard time deciding. :/ Washington State has a great program and is definitely the more affordable option, but Colorado State also has an amazing program. I loved Fort Collins too. Unfortunately my debt would be about double going to CSU because of higher tuition and greater cost of living. Do you have a school that you are leaning towards right now?

I feel the exact same way. Part of me is like oh, I'm getting such a good deal to attend CSU and it's way closer to my family, but then the frugal/logical side is saying there's nothing that can justify spending that much more to go there. I'm visiting WSU over spring break since I haven't seen it yet, but if I had to guess I will probably end up going there because of the price. Still deciding between those and a couple other options though. It's nice to hear from someone that is in the same strange situation, so feel free to pm me if you want to talk about it more! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I just sent mine in too :)