Endodontic Residency Interviews 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looks like my PASS app wasn't officially completed in their system until July 1... Applied to 20 schools:

I haven't received any interview invitations yet... should I be worried? time to give up?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Looks like my PASS app wasn't officially completed in their system until July 1... Applied to 20 schools:
  • St. Louis, UT-Houston, UW, Nova, illinois, OHSU, VCU, Boston, USC, NYU Langone, UT-San Antonio, UWest Virginia, UFlorida, Maryland, Buffalo, Stony Brook, Rutgers, Case, UCLA
I haven't received any interview invitations yet... should I be worried? time to give up?
I know 2 people who finished sending in their apps in the first week of July in the last couple of cycles. They still got many interviews and both got in to a program. I would not worry at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
To those of you freaking out, keep in mind that as programs interview and extend offers (which usually happens 24-48 hours after they complete interviews), candidates will accept these offers and then cancel subsequent interviews. These cancellations will open up spots for the programs to invite more people for interviews. Can this happen just a few days before the interview date? You betcha. Be prepared. Be patient.

AND just as a reminder, it is beyond distasteful to accept a position at a program and then continue to interview elsewhere. Program directors talk. Do not do this.

Reactions: 7 users
To those of you freaking out, keep in mind that as programs interview and extend offers (which usually happens 24-48 hours after they complete interviews), candidates will accept these offers and then cancel subsequent interviews. These cancellations will open up spots for the programs to invite more people for interviews. Can this happen just a few days before the interview date? You betcha. Be prepared. Be patient.

AND just as a reminder, it is beyond distasteful to accept a position at a program and then continue to interview elsewhere. Program directors talk. Do not do this.

Do you have a baseline for how long is reasonable to make a program wait after extending an offer? It may be hard to make a decision and still have other interviews scheduled, right?

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have a baseline for how long is reasonable to make a program wait after extending an offer? It may be hard to make a decision and still have other interviews scheduled, right?

The program is going to tell you when they want a response; usually, most will give you about 24 hours or so, but they prefer an answer on the spot when they call you with the good news. This is because if you decline the offer, they need to be able to offer the spot to one of their back-up candidates asap. They aren't going to give you a week to decide while you're off interviewing elsewhere. That doesn't look good on your part.

My advice is to accept the first offer you get and be done with it. Doing anything else is gambling with a losing hand. That may mean going to a more expensive school or to a location you didn't like as much. That's the price you have to understand in order to guarantee your future in the specialty.
Because endo sort of plays by its own rules, the interviewing process can get a little dirty.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep. Was told to have an answer ready on the spot and proceeded to cancel all other interviews right after. Even lost money on 1 flight. But it’s just the way the process is right now. Certain directors have been burned before and don’t mess around. If the director is really kind and is not afraid of losing a candidate then they may give you a week.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there certain timeline by which the schools complete their selection process? If you have any idea about this Could anyone please post information about those schools that have selected their candidates for this cycle and would send no more invites? I mean once it is done.
This will help us plan further and know if we are still left with any hopes.
Thank you!

• St. Louis, UT-Houston, UW, Nova, illinois, OHSU, VCU, Boston, USC, NYU Langone, UT-San Antonio, UWest Virginia, UFlorida, Maryland, Buffalo, Stony Brook, Rutgers, Case, UCLA

Very hard to say! Usually by now you should have received some notification.

Members don't see this ad :)
They didn’t send me fees link nor application complete email yet.. did they send you anything?

The check I mailed was deposited but no application complete email, I emailed asking to make sure, no word yet. On their website it says they will reach out to candidates for interviews after all applications received- is that August 1?

Did any of the international applicants receive any interview invitations yet?

Which is a better program: UF or Nova? Any info would be helpful!

Which is a better program: UF or Nova? Any info would be helpful!
The cheaper one. Or if money doesn’t concern you then the one with a location that is more desirable (to you) or faculty you prefer more.

You’ll be doing roughly the same amount of cases 250-350 (some schools may do more) and you’ll be hitting the same lit preparing for the same boards. No school wants to churn out students who can’t pass. Surgical cases may differ at schools, but you’ll still be between 10-25.

Super disappointed with this cycle. I haven't heard back from any school.

Does every university send a “ application received “ mail?

Does every university send a “ application received “ mail?
Couple of them emailed that application is received and the status is complete. Few Emailed if something is missing from our side for the application to be complete like payment or official scores. Others have not replied yet.

do anyone has idea about boston 5 min case presentation. Thank you, help appreciated

Does anyone know anything about BU's interview process? I have my interview there coming up in a couple of weeks and am not sure what to expect.
They sent me the payment email but didn’t invite me.. do you think they’ll invite more people or should I just save my money...?

Sigh

Just got supplement fee link from Boston university. Do you think they will send more invites? Or it’s wastage of money now ? Thanks

Just got supplement fee link from Boston university. Do you think they will send more invites? Or it’s wastage of money now ? Thanks
Also just received that email. hopefully it's worth it :)

Anybody hear from any of these schools?
  • University of West Virginia
  • University of Florida
  • Maryland
  • Buffalo
  • Stony Brook
  • Rutgers University
  • Case Western
  • UCLA

They sent me the payment email but didn’t invite me.. do you think they’ll invite more people or should I just save my money...?

Sigh

BU had 3 separate interview dates last year...for what it's worth

Do you know when they got the call or email from Einstein and when is the interview date?

I'm sorry, dont mean to offend you but why does it matter what the interview date is or when the call or email was received if YOU didnt receive it?

AGAIN, Dont mean to be a dick but it totally doesn't help your case to know this on your end unless you're trying to establish a pattern amongst all endodontics programs in the country of when they release notifications and the actual interview dates.

I'm sorry, dont mean to offend you but why does it matter what the interview date is or when the call or email was received if YOU didnt receive it?

AGAIN, Dont mean to be a dick but it totally doesn't help your case to know this on your end unless you're trying to establish a pattern amongst all endodontics programs in the country of when they release notifications and the actual interview dates.

dick lol

The whole purpose of this thread is for people to be updated on specific programs. People appreciate any trickle of info they can get. I’m sure you would’ve appreciated any info when you asked the same question in November.
“When did you get the V.A. San Diego invite? Also anyone heard back from UCLA GPR, NOT the harbor center..”
So yes, you are a dick and a hypocrite. This is a stressful process for many people, and your negativity is completely unwarranted and serves no benefit to the discussion on this thread.
On another note, not sure if it’s been posted but Indiana has sent out acceptances

Reactions: 4 users
The whole purpose of this thread is for people to be updated on specific programs. People appreciate any trickle of info they can get. I’m sure you would’ve appreciated any info when you asked the same question in November.
“When did you get the V.A. San Diego invite? Also anyone heard back from UCLA GPR, NOT the harbor center..”
So yes, you are a dick and a hypocrite. This is a stressful process for many people, and your negativity is completely unwarranted and serves no benefit to the discussion on this thread.
On another note, not sure if it’s been posted but Indiana has sent out acceptances

Just because you found a "hypocritical" post doesnt mean I'm wrong. In fact, because I HAVE DONE THAT BEFORE , i know it is utterly useless to ask the question that I did in the past or that previous poster just did. Btw, it is so crazy to me that you think this is negative. Wow! Social conditioning right there.

Just because you found a "hypocritical" post doesnt mean I'm wrong. In fact, because I HAVE DONE THAT BEFORE , i know it is utterly useless to ask the question that I did in the past or that previous poster just did. Btw, it is so crazy to me that you think this is negative. Wow! Social conditioning right there.

Please stop.

Updated comprehensive list of programs and their respective interview dates as reported by other posters here:

University of Alabama at Birmingham – 7/26 (phone)
Loma Linda University - Aug 4 (mail)

University of California at Los Angeles
University of California at San Francisco – 7/11, 8/6 (email)
University of Southern California - 7/30 (email)
University of the Pacific – 7/25 (phone)
University of Connecticut - 7/25 (phone)
Nova Southeastern University - 7/16 (email)

University of Florida
Georgia Regents University - July 29 (email)
University of Illinois at Chicago – July 17, July 18 (email)
Indiana University - July 8 (email) - offers made
University of Iowa – July 15, 16 (email)
University of Louisville – 7/19 (phone)

Louisiana State University
University of Maryland
Boston University - 07/25, 29 (email)
Harvard University - 7/12, 7/19 (phone)
Tufts University – 7/29, 7/30, 7/31, 8/1 (email)

University of Detroit Mercy
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota - July 12 (email)
Saint Louis University - July 9 (email)
University of Missouri-Kansas City - July 25 (email)

University of Nebraska - Aug 15, 16 (from ADEA Pass Search Engine)
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine
Columbia University - 2nd and 3rd week of August (from ADEA Pass Search Engine)
Lutheran Medical Center
New York University – 7/16, 7/30, 08/01, 08/02 (email)
State University of New York at Stony Brook
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
University of North Carolina - July 1 (email)
Case Western Reserve University
Ohio State University - July 24,25 (phone)
Oregon Health & Science University - July 24, 25 (from ADEA Pass Search Engine)
Albert Einstein Medical Center
Temple University
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
Medical University of South Carolina
University of Tennessee Health Science Center
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry - July 15 (phone)
University of Texas at Houston - July 15 (email)

University of Texas at San Antonio
Virginia Commonwealth University – 7/24 (email)
University of Washington - 7/15, 7/17 (email)

West Virginia University
Marquette University – 8/2 (phone)
VA New York

Curious about this as well!

Simply prepare a quick endo case to present; don't go overboard and ramble. The directions are intentionally vague so you have some creative license. Don't over-stress it.