Georgetown vs. Wake Forest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackdiamondsareforever

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that GT is P/F for its preclinical years, how would one go about comparing/deciding between GT and Wake Forest? GT's newly-retired grading system seemed to be its biggest downfall in old threads. Any input is welcome. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Wake Forest hands down. Georgetown is a bottom of the barrel medical school.

I'm sure that's a well researched, well informed, well thought out response.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

It is though? I've been accepted at both places, which are ranked very similarly (not the most important, given the fallibility of ranking metrics, but something to note) and have very similar admission stats.

Each definitely has its pluses and minuses, but I do wonder how and why Georgetown would be considered "bottom barrel." Could you expand on this? Ive seen this echoed on SDN and I'd like to understand the reasoning behind it.

Thanks!

It is though? I've been accepted at both places, which are ranked very similarly (not the most important, given the fallibility of ranking metrics, but something to note) and have very similar admission stats.

Each definitely has its pluses and minuses, but I do wonder how and why Georgetown would be considered "bottom barrel." Could you expand on this? Ive seen this echoed on SDN and I'd like to understand the reasoning behind it.

Thanks!
I would like to know why as well! I have also seen great things said about Georgetown on sdn. So it would be helpful if people can take the time to back their statements .

I have friends who go to Wake and comment on how close their med school classes are. Heard that Georgetown students take them with their SMP students so they lack cohesion. Don't have too much knowledge, but just what I heard.

Wake for the student support and faculty mentorship and lower cost of attendance

I will (very likely) be attending Wake in the fall, so I'll offer a few thoughts too. With the new Innovation Quarter initiative, the school really emphasizes entrepreneurship and biotech start up culture and I think that has a really interesting intersection with medicine. For me, that was a very big plus. I think Wake is also better for those with interests in biomedical and clinical research. The Institute for Regenerative Medicine is a very top notch program. The location in NC is very close to the Research Triangle Park (Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh) which is a great hub for technology and innovation so there are lots of opportunities to collaborate with other universities and industries. (Only about 1.5 hrs drive along easy, little traffic highway) The town of Winston Salem probably doesn't compare to DC but let's be serious, few cities do hahah! But the city is being revitalized from prior tobacco manufacturing hub to tech hub and the government and university seem very passionate about the cause. So living costs are far far more manageable. At Wake, the student body is organized into houses with faculty membership so I can imagine that every one is super close. When I interviewed there, I really enjoyed it so much and everyone was very very kind. I think since GT is a bit sprawled over the city and Wake is in a smaller town, I can understand if the student body is more close knit.

Georgetown is also a great school. I was looking into this school as well and although I didn't get to interview here (that would have made my decision a lot harder haha!) I have a close friend who goes there. Living costs are really really steep although DC has a wonderful vibe. Since GT is a more liberal arts school I felt that that clinical research is better at Wake. Also the general vibe seems that GT has a more campus feel and Wake has a more city feel since the medical campus is separated from the undergraduate Reynolda campus. The Wake med campus is very close and convenient whereas GT is far more sprawled. Not sure if that matters.

Will add more if I can think of anything

Reactions: 3 users