Help Me Guys! SUNY Buffalo or West Virginia University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which School guys SUNY Buffalo or West Virginia University

• SUNY Buffalo

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • West Virginia University

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

goone2524

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is my predicament guys: :scared::scared:

I have been blessed enough to have been given the option in deciding between these two great schools. I had a good experience and feeling at both campuses during my interviews. The tuition is similar since I am an oos applicant for both of those schools. So since price is not so much an issue. Where do you guys think I should go? I have an interest in neuroscience and I am leaning towards specializing rather than primary care. However I don't want to limit my options just yet. Buffalo I feel might give me more clinical experience and is a bigger city than Morgantown. Also West Virginia seems more rural and targeted towards primary care. But while I was there the campus and Ruby hospital looked very nice and newer than at Buffalo. Also there is brand new neuroscience institute that is opening soon. Also the cirriculum of both schools seem similar and grading is both p/np and there is no curve which allows for comradere rather than competition. The 2009 match lists for both schools seems similar, so although West Virginia may target for primary medicine, a lot of people do specialize.

Can anyone with any familiarity with both schools give me some reasons why I should choose one over the other?

some other pros and cons I can list:

Buffalo

pros: more clinical experience, bigger city, cheap cost of living, good and friendly atmosphere, a cooperative student body and faculty, easy to fly straight into airport from the west coast. ( I live on the west coast).

cons: the winters can be very cold, the facilities look older

West Virginia

pros: nice and clean facilities, Morgantown is a nice college town and fun atmosphere, lots of outdoors activities, weather is not as cold as buffalo, nice student body and faculty.

cons: less clinical experience, less diverse student body, hard to get to morgantown from west coast. flying there can be a real pain.

Thanks for all the help guys:love::love:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It all comes down to $$$, bro. Since schools are similar, go to whichever one that gives u more aid.

i would say WV if you are looking to return to the west coast for residency. Buffalo students usually are from the area so they end up doing residencies throughout the state.

I'm not sure about WV, but the one thing I really liked about Buffalo was that the faculty and administrators seemed to really look out for students. Compared with some of the other places that I applied to and based on accounts from some friends, that type of environment is not inherent at all med schools. :D

Also, I think the general consensus is that it doesn't matter where you attend medical school. As long as you do well, you'll be able to go to a residency program in whatever part of the country you would like. As much I think we'd all like to stress it, the medical school we attend doesn't make a huge difference. All the physicians I've talked to have told me that medicine is different from many other professions, because you're judged immediately by how well you perform and how much you know. Plus, you'll have a long career, so four years in which ever school is kind of null. Good luck with your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.