Jefferson vs OSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jefferson vs OSU

• Jefferson

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • OSU

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

maslow12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Approximate cost of TUITION alone (I'm not too concerned about any disparity in the cost of living - you get what you pay for there)

at Jefferson over 4 years: 164k
At OSU over 4 years: 139k

OSU might have a stronger program overall, but I'm honestly tired of college towns and I think it would be pretty amazing to live in center city Philadelphia. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Approximate cost of TUITION alone (I'm not too concerned about any disparity in the cost of living - you get what you pay for there)

OSU might have a stronger program overall, but I'm honestly tired of college towns and I think it would be pretty amazing to live in center city Philadelphia. What do you think?

This is the third time I've said this today on different threads, but yes, I'd chose Jeff. It's a great school and Center City Philly is infinitely superior to Ohio. But, it all depends on preferences. To me, quality of life would be better in Philly, but to each his own. I tend to pick on location, $$$, and overall opportunities more than anything else.

OSU is cheaper and a slightly better program. Philly is better than Columbus. I guess it just depends on what you value between money, location, and prestige.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey maslow12,

$25K is not an insignificant amount, though not so huge that your decision should be automatic. At the same time, I feel I can really relate to your feeling that you are "tired of college towns." I'm a Master's student, and have spent the past 6 years in college towns in Canada (I'm Canadian), despite considering myself a big city boy (I liked the college town for undergrad, and went to a college town of ~500,000 for my Master's because I was offered great opportunities here). However, since med school is 4 years long, location (read: being in a big city) was a big issue for me when determining where to go in the end.

I'm happy to say I'm accepted at Jefferson - I loved the campus and Center City when I interviewed. I know some SDNers and others may tell you location doesn't matter, and cost and school atmosphere are the most important factors, but location was a huge factor for me. There's nothing wrong with it factoring heavily into your decision, if not acting as the deal-breaker.

If you would really prefer Philadelphia to Columbus, then I think that you should go to Jefferson.

Columbus is a big city. I don't think of it as a college town. Its not like State College or Chapel Hill. I imagine there is plenty to do outside of the Buckeyes. If you are worried about the sports culture and obsession with OSU as an institiution you'll get the same feeling in Philly with the obsession with Phillies/Eagles. Unless of course your a Philly sports fan then you'll fit right in.

What do you think about the schools curriculum, clinical training sites, research, match lists, strength in particular specialties etc.? These may be more important, IMO, than whether or not its a "college town" you can have fun/find awesome things to do in any city, but the nuts and bolts of the medical school will define your experience.

Oh and also the moneys a huge deal. Think about what you could do with an extra 25K!! Car, downpayment on a house, reduced loan payments for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.