2020-2021 Jefferson (Kimmel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HPWL, international student, sad...hoping there will be more waitlist movement this year.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any first year students available to answer some on-campus housing questions? Also, is there a FB group for accepted students?

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have Jeff's match list from this year? Or know where it will be posted?

Does anyone know if this school matches scholarships or institutional aid from other schools?

Are there any Jefferson students here that I can PM or are willing to talk a bit more about the JeffMD curriculum? I’m looking at the curriculum now and I’m having a hard time seeing how the Phase 1 classes “flow” with one another. For example, I see that the first two years (Phase 1) are separated by organ system blocks. What explicit classes are going to be taken for each block? I.e where and when do I take biochemistry? How is anatomy done? I trust that the new curriculum is really innovative and emphasizes case based learning and teamwork. It’s just that the JeffMD curriculum looks quite different from the traditional medical school curriculum where it just explicitly says “first years take biochemistry, pathology, etc. and that’s that.”

Reactions: 1 user
Has Jefferson sent any pre-II Rs? I've been complete since July, sent a LOInterest late last year, and radio silence since then. :(

Reactions: 5 users
Does Jeff provide iPads for its students? I'm a Windows user, but should I make the jump to Mac OS for med school?

Are there any Jefferson students here that I can PM or are willing to talk a bit more about the JeffMD curriculum? I’m looking at the curriculum now and I’m having a hard time seeing how the Phase 1 classes “flow” with one another. For example, I see that the first two years (Phase 1) are separated by organ system blocks. What explicit classes are going to be taken for each block? I.e where and when do I take biochemistry? How is anatomy done? I trust that the new curriculum is really innovative and emphasizes case based learning and teamwork. It’s just that the JeffMD curriculum looks quite different from the traditional medical school curriculum where it just explicitly says “first years take biochemistry, pathology, etc. and that’s that.”
Systems-based >>>>>> Biochem, Phys, Anatomy, etc

But I second that. I would love to hear input from a current student.

Members don't see this ad :)
Systems-based >>>>>> Biochem, Phys, Anatomy, etc

But I second that. I would love to hear input from a current student.
Also very interested in hearing more about the curriculum from any current students!

In particular since preclin is 21 months at Jeff, as opposed to the 12 or 18 months that many schools are moving too, interested in how much time for research, electives, exploration, etc that there ends up being in 3rd and 4th years.

Also very interested in hearing more about the curriculum from any current students!

In particular since preclin is 21 months at Jeff, as opposed to the 12 or 18 months that many schools are moving too, interested in how much time for research, electives, exploration, etc that there ends up being in 3rd and 4th years.
First-year at SKMC and I can't speak more highly of the curriculum especially as we move towards step 2 being the important determinant for residency. We learn all the basics like anatomy, pathology, pharmacology, biochemistry in traditional lectures with powerpoints but the clinical medicine lectures and case-based learning sessions tie all the information into a format that allows you to apply the basics to patient scenarios and clinical vignettes. That's exactly what you need to do in order to succeed in step 2. We did our first mandatory practice step 1 this month and I did much better than I expected having learned only half of the relevant information, so it feels like the curriculum is working. Attached is an example of the classes renal block that we're in right now
Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 1.29.17 PM.png

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

I'm not sure where you got the 21-month number but that's not accurate. Preclinical is 15 months of learning, with an additional 2 month summer break in between. Then dedicated is 6 weeks before you take step 1. You start rotations in April of MS2.

With regards to time outside of lecture, there's a ton of space for other stuff and everyone does research because we have a mandatory research component of our curriculum that starts in the first semester of MS1. I'm involved in research projects in 3 different departments and I'm also involved with the student-run health clinic: JeffHOPE

Feel free to ask any other questions

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure where you got the 21-month number but that's not accurate. Preclinical is 15 months of learning, with an additional 2 month summer break in between. Then dedicated is 6 weeks before you take step 1. You start rotations in April of MS2.

With regards to time outside of lecture, there's a ton of space for other stuff and everyone does research because we have a mandatory research component of our curriculum that starts in the first semester of MS1. I'm involved in research projects in 3 different departments and I'm also involved with the student-run health clinic: JeffHOPE

Can you talk more about on versus off-campus housing? Which one do most of your classmates live in? Pros/cons of both?

Do you feel that the required/mandatory research component (scholarly inquiry) takes away a noticeable amount of time from studying/other research/extracurricular activities? Like has there ever been a time you've been like "damn, I really need to study for this test or do XYZ but I need to work on this scholarly inquiry thing too"?

Last edited:
Do you feel that the required/mandatory research component (scholarly inquiry) takes away a noticeable amount of time from studying/other research/extracurricular activities? Like has there ever been a time you've been like "damn, I need to study for this test or do XYZ but I need to work on this scholarly inquiry thing too"?
Second this!

Do you feel that the required/mandatory research component (scholarly inquiry) takes away a noticeable amount of time from studying/other research/extracurricular activities? Like has there ever been a time you've been like "damn, I really need to study for this test or do XYZ but I need to work on this scholarly inquiry thing too"?
The scholarly inquiry in itself is productive work because most of the writing you do is related to the project you're doing so that you get something substantive that helps you match into residency. Obviously research is going to cut into some studying time here and there but to match into most residency programs you have to have research. So it's another requirement that helps you in the long term. Some students use only the scholarly inquiry as all their research but obviously if you want to go into a competitive specialty it's not enough

The scholarly inquiry in itself is productive work because most of the writing you do is related to the project you're doing so that you get something substantive that helps you match into residency. Obviously research is going to cut into some studying time here and there but to match into most residency programs you have to have research. So it's another requirement that helps you in the long term. Some students use only the scholarly inquiry as all their research but obviously if you want to go into a competitive specialty it's not enough
How much research per term would you say is a max commitment one could make with coursework?

How much research per term would you say is a max commitment one could make with coursework?
I think it's unrealistic to estimate that as it depends on the student and you decide what you want to spend your time on. I spend 10 hours a week on research and that's my prerogative as I'm working on 3 different projects and I enjoy it. I know other students who are doing about the same but most are doing much less as they're just trying to get research on their resume and not pursue an academic career or a competitive specialty

Can you talk more about on versus off-campus housing? Which one do most of your classmates live in? Pros/cons of both?
Most people I know live off-campus but a good portion lives on campus too. Still, almost everyone lives within walking distance of campus. I can't speak to on-campus housing at all but there are a few options I think

I think it's unrealistic to estimate that as it depends on the student and you decide what you want to spend your time on. I spend 10 hours a week on research and that's my prerogative as I'm working on 3 different projects and I enjoy it. I know other students who are doing about the same but most are doing much less as they're just trying to get research on their resume and not pursue an academic career or a competitive specialty
How has covid affected your research pursuit? As most of the M1s have been online this past year. Were you able to do research in person? With patients?

Do you feel like it is necessary to find research projects that are strictly related to our desired residency program?

How has covid affected your research pursuit? As most of the M1s have been online this past year. Were you able to do research in person? With patients?
As a PI, obviously having a medical student doing research with you is an added stress on top of the COVID-19 but I haven't had a problem finding projects. We're not allowed to be working with patients due to the pandemic but it's kind of a grey area though and not sure who's really enforcing that. Those restrictions should be lifted probably soon though
Do you feel like it is necessary to find research projects that are strictly related to our desired residency program?
No

Thanks, this is helpful. I saw on Jeff's website that "Phase 1" of the curriculum is 21 months, hence why I assumed preclinical is 21 months. But glad to hear that there's only 15 months of learning + vacation and dedicated in there, too.

They said the last day of interviews is the first Wednesday in April. someone here said the last day they saw was march 31st...I hope this means they're still sending out those last few IIs---even if for the waitlist only

They said the last day of interviews is the first Wednesday in April. someone here said the last day they saw was march 31st...I hope this means they're still sending out those last few IIs---even if for the waitlist only

In my experience they sent out interviews this late...and also even if you interview on the very last day, its not for the waitlist.

Reactions: 6 users
can someone check whether their status says awaiting review or under review? mine switched to under review , but im not sure if it was always like that. thank you!

can someone check whether their status says awaiting review or under review? mine switched to under review , but im not sure if it was always like that. thank you!
Mine is under review. Think it’s been that since submitting my secondary

Reactions: 2 users
Mine is under review. Think it’s been that since submitting my secondary
ah gotcha, so maybe im just confusing portals from other schools in my mind haha. thank you for getting back to me, i was getting my hopes up hahah.

Hey does anyone know if we can send thank you notes directly to our interviewers? My interviewers gave me their emails so I'm guessing it's fine, but I know some schools prefer for them to be sent through the main admissions email. Thanks!

Hey does anyone know if we can send thank you notes directly to our interviewers? My interviewers gave me their emails so I'm guessing it's fine, but I know some schools prefer for them to be sent through the main admissions email. Thanks!
Mine gave me their emails so I sent mine directly. If schools don't want you contacting people directly they will usually explicitly say so during or after the interview.

Wondering if any current students could say a word about how clerkships work at Jeff, especially with the class being so large. Is it possible to do most of the clerkships at TJUH if we don't want to be a community hospital, or is it completely random and out of our control?

Pre-II R just now, good luck everyone (-:

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Pre-II R
Complete Aug 12

Gluck everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Mine gave me their emails so I sent mine directly. If schools don't want you contacting people directly they will usually explicitly say so during or after the interview.
I sent mine personal thank you's directly mainly because i had such an insanely amazing interview day and wanted to show my gratefulness.

EDIT** meaning, I don't think it has any bearing on the admissions decision - it's just a thank you for being so kind during the interview kind of thing. So I sent it directly to them. I think you should be good, but if you wanted to share thoughts with the general admissions team - you can always send it to them too!

Wondering if any current students could say a word about how clerkships work at Jeff, especially with the class being so large. Is it possible to do most of the clerkships at TJUH if we don't want to be a community hospital, or is it completely random and out of our control?

To sum it up, you put your preferences in and they run it through a program. The program will try to meet everyone's needs but obviously it is unable to put everyone at their top choices. So expect to do a handful of rotations at affiliates and a handful at Jeff. There are some rotations like IM which have a required portion to be at Jeff, but aside from that nothing is guaranteed at Jeff.

To sum it up, you put your preferences in and they run it through a program. The program will try to meet everyone's needs but obviously it is unable to put everyone at their top choices. So expect to do a handful of rotations at affiliates and a handful at Jeff. There are some rotations like IM which have a required portion to be at Jeff, but aside from that nothing is guaranteed at Jeff.
Does anyone know what rotations look like? Or the process for electives away beginning third year?

@mdapplicant2024 possibly could provide insight?

Does anyone know what rotations look like? Or the process for electives away beginning third year?

@mdapplicant2024 possibly could provide insight?
Can you clarify what you mean by "what rotations look like"? Also, when you say electives "away", do you mean away rotations? Those are during 4th year.

Sub-internships/electives begin spring of 3rd year, to my knowledge. See attached below.

Can one choose a sub-i at another institution?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    278.8 KB · Views: 86
Sub-internships/electives begin spring of 3rd year, to my knowledge. See attached below.

Can one choose a sub-i at another institution?

As someone who is currently signing up for my own sub-i's and ending 3rd year here, I can say for sure that Sub-i's do not start in 3rd year. The pink shaded parts in the image indicate 4th year. And yes, you can choose another institution.

It is similar to 3rd year in which you place your preferences in the beginning and a program spits out everyone's schedule with the best of its ability to accommodate everyone. This includes being able to choose a Sub-i at jeff's affiliates. However, 4th year is different because you can add or drop classes as the year goes on to tailor it to your specialty specific needs as the year progresses. Also, because of the pandemic away rotations (rotations not at an affiliate) have changed. Nationally, they won't allow them until August of this year, but that may change by the time you're a third year.