2020-2021 Jefferson (Kimmel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As someone who is currently signing up for my own sub-i's and ending 3rd year here, I can say for sure that Sub-i's do not start in 3rd year. The pink shaded parts in the image indicate 4th year. And yes, you can choose another institution.

It is similar to 3rd year in which you place your preferences in the beginning and a program spits out everyone's schedule with the best of its ability to accommodate everyone. This includes being able to choose a Sub-i at jeff's affiliates. However, 4th year is different because you can add or drop classes as the year goes on to tailor it to your specialty specific needs as the year progresses. Also, because of the pandemic away rotations (rotations not at an affiliate) have changed. Nationally, they won't allow them until August of this year, but that may change by the time you're a third year.
Could you offer any insight as to why it's in the spring of 3rd year then? The graphic is a little confusing if the pink indicates fourth year.

edit: Perhaps the pink indicates summer between 3rd and 4th year?

Members don't see this ad.

Could you offer any insight as to why it's in the spring of 3rd year then? The graphic is a little confusing if the pink indicates fourth year.

I think the image is just listing "3rd year" as the calendar year. Like if you start school in 2018, and it is currently 2021. Thats 3 calendar years, but you will be starting 4th year in April. Don't take the image too seriously, its merely a guide. Furthermore, the classes listed in pink for 4th year aren't even in the same order you would take them in real life. You make your schedule for 4th year while meeting certain requirements. In reality, you could have your inpatient sub-i at the end of the year and take the first 8 weeks of 4th year for vacation. It's all just a guide. You could sprinkle the electives throughout the year, or take all 28 in one go like it shows. You won't be following exactly the order the image shows.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the image is just listing "3rd year" as the calendar year. Like if you start school in 2018, and it is currently 2021. Thats 3 calendar years, but you will be starting 4th year in April. Don't take the image too seriously, its merely a guide. Furthermore, the classes listed in pink for 4th year aren't even in the same order you would take them in real life. You make your schedule for 4th year while meeting certain requirements. In reality, you could have your inpatient sub-i at the end of the year and take the first 8 weeks of 4th year for vacation. It's all just a guide. You could sprinkle the electives throughout the year, or take all 28 in one go like it shows. You won't be following exactly the order the image shows.
What's your opinion on how 3rd and 4th years are set up?? As in, how do you like it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I sent mine personal thank you's directly mainly because i had such an insanely amazing interview day and wanted to show my gratefulness.

EDIT** meaning, I don't think it has any bearing on the admissions decision - it's just a thank you for being so kind during the interview kind of thing. So I sent it directly to them. I think you should be good, but if you wanted to share thoughts with the general admissions team - you can always send it to them too!
I sent mine directly to my student interviewer because she gave me her email. My faculty interviewer didn't, so I emailed it to admissions and they said they'd forward it!

Hi, thanks for answering our questions! Could you provide insight into what hours are like during clinical years? I hear that some schools have students come into the hospital on weekends? Do you have 16-hour shifts?

Hi, thanks for answering our questions! Could you provide insight into what hours are like during clinical years? I hear that some schools have students come into the hospital on weekends? Do you have 16-hour shifts?

No worries, sorry for the late reply. So it varies per rotation and also by clinical site. Of course specialties such as OB and surgery will have you working longer hours (some 16 or more hour long shifts) and some are shorter than others such as Psych or family med. An example of surgery day could have you getting to the hospital by 5AM and leaving 6PM or later depending on how long the operations take. Family med could have you come in at 7AM and leave at 4PM or earlier. I think these hours aren't necessarily specific to SKMC, it generally seems to be the trend for these specialties throughout med schools but I could be wrong. Oh and for specialties such as IM, you will work weekends. Emergency med also has you come in on the weekends, can't think of other ones at the moment. OB and EM you will work overnight shifts.

• Care
What's your opinion on how 3rd and 4th years are set up?? As in, how do you like it?

I loved third year, it was difficult but rewarding. I think each location did their best with scheduling as they could with the pandemic and still was able to get a solid clinical background from each rotation. Although there is a big class, for some sites I was the only student on the rotation and had plenty of face-time with attendings. I like how for 4th year we are able to change our schedules as the year progresses and we aren't locked into a set of classes.

Reactions: 1 users
I loved third year, it was difficult but rewarding. I think each location did their best with scheduling as they could with the pandemic and still was able to get a solid clinical background from each rotation. Although there is a big class, for some sites I was the only student on the rotation and had plenty of face-time with attendings. I like how for 4th year we are able to change our schedules as the year progresses and we aren't locked into a set of classes.
Thanks for replying! You mentioned about the size of the class... how do you think that affects, if at all, the matching into residency?

Thanks for replying! You mentioned about the size of the class... how do you think that affects, if at all, the matching into residency?

I honestly am not sure :/

Are they done with IIs? Still haven't gotten a pre-II R so I want to know if I should be holding out hope or not lol

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are they done with IIs? Still haven't gotten a pre-II R so I want to know if I should be holding out hope or not lol
I believe tomorrow is the last interview of the season

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
If tomorrow is the last interview of the season, then when should we expect to hear if we are off the waitlist?

If tomorrow is the last interview of the season, then when should we expect to hear if we are off the waitlist?
Don't hold your breath on that one. Unfortunately, it can range from anytime between April 30th and July 19th.

I logged into BannerWeb out of curiosity to check out the financial aid tab and saw I was offered some federal loans for financial aid. I sure hope they offer more because it is definitely not enough to cover even tuition for a year:confused:

I logged into BannerWeb out of curiosity to check out the financial aid tab and saw I was offered some federal loans for financial aid. I sure hope they offer more because it is definitely not enough to cover even tuition for a year:confused:
You will get a direct federal loan up to $40K (the max) based on FAFSA. The rest you take out in loans will be a grad plus loan up to the total cost of attendance.

The anxiety I feel right now waiting for this decision...unmatched

Did only one person hear back yesterday? :oops:
My best guess is that 25% (and that's probably still too high) of people who submit an application for a particular medical school actually converse in that medical school's SDN forum. So, no. I'm sure several people got their decision yesterday.

• Haha
Are they officially done with II's? If so, why did some people receive pre-II R's while others still haven't heard? Maybe they are interviewing later into the season due to the pandemic?

Reactions: 8 users
Are they officially done with II's? If so, why did some people receive pre-II R's while others still haven't heard? Maybe they are interviewing later into the season due to the pandemic?
They said that 3/31 was the last interview date during my interview

They said that 3/31 was the last interview date during my interview
Was your interview earlier in the cycle or relatively recently?

I haven't received a pre-II R, so I'm not sure if that means there's any hope left lol

Was your interview earlier in the cycle or relatively recently?

I haven't received a pre-II R, so I'm not sure if that means there's any hope left lol
My interview was 3/31 lol. They were like “welcome to the last interview session of the cycle!”

Maybe they are just sending the pre-II Rs in batches?

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Finally got the closure 🥲 good luck to everyone who interviewed here

• Care
Pre-II R just now. Complete 07/27. This was my last school to hear from!

• Care
A few questions for any current students maybe @mdapplicant2024 since you’ve been so helpful on this thread in the past
1) how does the class size affect things socially? Do you feel like it’s easy enough to make friends or do you feel like cliques form quickly?
2) are exams more lecture based or boards based? How necessary is it to actually go to lecture if you want to do well in terms of class rank?
3) what is your least favorite thing about Jeff? I feel like every student I talk to LOVES it which is clearly great, but I would like to hear some downsides too

would love anyone’s opinion on these thanks so much in advance!

Do you think the school could have forgotten to reject me?? haha I mean theyre done interviewing why keep me on at this point. Anyone else in the same boat?

Do you think the school could have forgotten to reject me?? haha I mean theyre done interviewing why keep me on at this point. Anyone else in the same boat?
Update: just got mine

• Care