2021-2022 Thomas Jefferson (Kimmel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all, does anyone know if they send out post-II R/WL? I looked back over the last few pages and didn't see any (but I could also be stupid and just have read over/missed it!)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, does anyone know if they send out post-II R/WL? I looked back over the last few pages and didn't see any (but I could also be stupid and just have read over/missed it!)
Definitely! It seems like most people receive HPWL, with some regular WLs sprinkled in. I haven't noticed any Rs, but that doesn't mean they don't happen. If you look harder, you'll see the WLs. There are a ton of them.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely! It seems like most people receive HPWL, with some regular WLs sprinkled in. I haven't noticed any Rs, but that doesn't mean they don't happen. If you look harder, you'll see the WLs. There are a ton of them.

Thanks! Honestly Cmd+F'd them this time around which would've been a much smarter thing to do the first time lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current Jeff students on here? Recently accepted and was wondering if I could DM some questions

Didn't get a personalized reply from Dr. LoSasso to my update, I be in my bag

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone received a financial aid package yet? If so, about how long after acceptance did it take to arrive?
Thanks!

Has anyone received a financial aid package yet? If so, about how long after acceptance did it take to arrive?
Thanks!
I was accepted in the fall and had my FAFSA/etc. materials in very quickly. I haven't received anything yet. I was under the impression that award letters normally came towards the spring, but I could be totally wrong. They have a lovely administration who are very reachable however if you have any questions.

I was accepted in the fall and had my FAFSA/etc. materials in very quickly. I haven't received anything yet. I was under the impression that award letters normally came towards the spring, but I could be totally wrong. They have a lovely administration who are very reachable however if you have any questions.
Thank you!

How many IIs and interview days are we thinking for SKMC? I really want to go here and I'm really hoping my stats aren't holding me back :( loved absolutely everything I've seen from Jefferson throughout info sessions, talking with students, and even an accidental phone call with Dr. Emilius. I'm turning my hand into a pretzel with how hard I'm crossing my fingers

• Care
How many IIs and interview days are we thinking for SKMC? I really want to go here and I'm really hoping my stats aren't holding me back :( loved absolutely everything I've seen from Jefferson throughout info sessions, talking with students, and even an accidental phone call with Dr. Emilius. I'm turning my hand into a pretzel with how hard I'm crossing my fingers
My app has been ‘under review’ since like October idk what to think at this point

My app has been ‘under review’ since like October idk what to think at this point
I'm not even looking at the "under review" part anymore lol
The portal for the one school I've gotten ACCEPTED at still says I'm "under review"

Members don't see this ad :)
just got the call! 3:30 for anyone looking back on this.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the call at 3:45ish! Interviewed 2/2, stats in signature

Got the call today! Is something supposed to change on the portal?

• Love
Got the call around 4:00 PM! Interviewed 2/2, LM76

• Love
Those of you who got accepted, did you send thank you letters or any letters of intent/interest/updates after the interview?

Those of you who got accepted, did you send thank you letters or any letters of intent/interest/updates after the interview?
I sent a combo update/ interest letter because I’ve heard the SKMC loves love letters. Can’t be sure if it actually had an impact, but I did send one.

I sure hope so, someone I know there said last year a lot of their friends now came from the march interview dates
OTOH, I know someone who has had a March interview date at Jefferson scheduled for over a month now!

I have no idea whether or not they are done with IIs, but please keep in mind that IIs are typically scheduled weeks or months in advance, and it is now 2/24. Most IIs at most schools are all gone now, even if interviewing will continue for a few more weeks.

The exceptions to this are fill-ins for last minute cancellations, which do occur at this point in cycle. So there is always hope until they are done interviewing, but I have resigned myself to the fact that every school that has ghosted me to this point will eventually result in a R. It's really the only healthy way to feel at the end of February. Personally, I am going to allow myself to be pleasantly surprised if the unexpected happens and a very late II appears in my inbox, rather than clinging to hope. YMMV.

Last edited:
OTOH, I know someone who has had a March interview date at Jefferson scheduled for over a month now!

I have no idea whether or not they are done with IIs, but please keep in mind that IIs are typically scheduled weeks or months in advance, and it is now 2/24. Most IIs at most schools are all gone now, even if interviewing will continue for a few more weeks.

The exceptions to this are fill-ins for last minute cancellations, which do occur at this point in cycle. So there is always hope until they are done interviewing, but I have resigned myself to the fact that every school that has ghosted me to this point will eventually result in a R. It's really the only healthy way to feel at the end of February. Personally, I am going to allow myself to be pleasantly surprised if the unexpected happens and a very late II appears in my inbox, rather than clinging to hope. YMMV.

Yep, pretty much this. I know that we only have a few more weeks of interviews (3-4, I forget exactly), but cancellations do/will happen so it's possible that more people may get interviewed. I'm not entirely sure what goes on on the interview-invite side of things.

Does Jeff still have P/F with internal rankings in thirds? I am a little scared about that.

Does Jeff still have P/F with internal rankings in thirds? I am a little scared about that.

Yea, we still have internal rankings in thirds. It's actually a little different than that though. You can take a look at the student handbook for specific details but the gist of it is we're ranked internally into Top 10, Top 10%, and then Top/Middle/Bottom third. At the end of preclinical years the top 25% of the class (based on preclinical Block Exam and Clinical Skills Exams grades (not quizzes)) is eligible for AOA, and then when you apply for residency your preclinical grades and your clinical grades are averaged and the rank of Top 10, top 10%, or top/middle/bottom third is reported on your MSPE (medical school performance evaluation) letter. There are some other things that are actually just true P/F though (SI, humanities classes/electives, etc.)

I talked about this before in this thread but I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, having internal rankings kind of sucks because it still feels like you're competing with your classmates and adds a layer of stress to things. On the other hand, I've read in a lot of places that having rankings is actually a good thing in pretty much every school outside of the Top 20 because it gives students a way to differentiate themselves. I personally wish we didn't have rankings though.

It's not something that openly causes feelings of competitiveness amongst the students though. My entire class is super collaborative and the issue of rankings almost never comes up. It's just something that's kind of there in the back of our minds whenever we take a block exam. Being in the Top 10 will definitely help you come time for residency apps, but I feel that unless you're in the Top 10 or in the bottom third it's not something that will really change the outcome of your residency application significantly. There are rumors that preclinical grades in all schools may become more important now that Step is P/F but the truth is we don't really know.

Tl;dr - yeah it's kind of unfortunate that there's internal rankings in my opinion but there are pros/cons to having it.

Reactions: 1 users
Yea, we still have internal rankings in thirds. It's actually a little different than that though. You can take a look at the student handbook for specific details but the gist of it is we're ranked internally into Top 10, Top 10%, and then Top/Middle/Bottom third. At the end of preclinical years the top 25% of the class (based on preclinical Block Exam and Clinical Skills Exams grades (not quizzes)) is eligible for AOA, and then when you apply for residency your preclinical grades and your clinical grades are averaged and the rank of Top 10, top 10%, or top/middle/bottom third is reported on your MSPE (medical school performance evaluation) letter. There are some other things that are actually just true P/F though (SI, humanities classes/electives, etc.)

I talked about this before in this thread but I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, having internal rankings kind of sucks because it still feels like you're competing with your classmates and adds a layer of stress to things. On the other hand, I've read in a lot of places that having rankings is actually a good thing in pretty much every school outside of the Top 20 because it gives students a way to differentiate themselves. I personally wish we didn't have rankings though.

It's not something that openly causes feelings of competitiveness amongst the students though. My entire class is super collaborative and the issue of rankings almost never comes up. It's just something that's kind of there in the back of our minds whenever we take a block exam. Being in the Top 10 will definitely help you come time for residency apps, but I feel that unless you're in the Top 10 or in the bottom third it's not something that will really change the outcome of your residency application significantly. There are rumors that preclinical grades in all schools may become more important now that Step is P/F but the truth is we don't really know.

Tl;dr - yeah it's kind of unfortunate that there's internal rankings in my opinion but there are pros/cons to having it.
Agreed on this, but to hopefully reduce some stress: every post-match panel given by matched students shows successful matching regardless of your rank/which third you are in. Sure, if you want a top program you need to be a top student, but if every other program was being picky, there would be plenty of unfilled positions. We know there are very few unfilled programs based on the data put out. It's not something to be really worried about - even if you are in the bottom third with our class size, programs have no way to differentiate if you're #180 or 280. IMO being a top 1/3 student is more beneficial than being bottom 1/3 is detrimental

This^^^^. My research confirms that this is an unfortunate fact of life for people at schools outside the T20 or so that have aspirations to go into competitive specialties or to top residencies.

People at top med schools have the luxury of not subjecting themselves to ranking, because they have already passed a screen respected by PDs by being accepted by a top school. As we all know, there are plenty of top people who, for one reason or another, do not attend top schools, just like in UG. If UG was all P/F, it would probably be really difficult for top students at unranked UGs to distinguish themselves and get into top med schools.

Same thing here. Schools outside the T20 that do not rank make their students feel better, and undoubtedly alleviate some stress, at least until Match Day. Invariably, it's the schools that rank, grade, or both that tend to punch above their weight in the Match.

As with everything else, this does not mean you cannot go to an unranked school that is pure P/F and not match plastics. YMMV, but it is definitely something to consider if you have choices, depending on whether it's more important for you to minimize stress or to maximize your ability to match something competitive. If you don't have more than one choice, then it really doesn't matter.

Last edited:
I can see from the match list Jeff does a great job matching people into very competitive surgical subs which I am interested in. I suppose something is working for them.

Any recently accepted students confused on how applying for financial aid works here? I submitted my deposit the other day and got an email today to set up my "campus ID" and log into my student email, but I still haven't seen anything re: financial aid. Feels weird to be setting up an email address + account before committing or submitting a fin aid application - anyone else in the same boat?

Any recently accepted students confused on how applying for financial aid works here? I submitted my deposit the other day and got an email today to set up my "campus ID" and log into my student email, but I still haven't seen anything re: financial aid. Feels weird to be setting up an email address + account before committing or submitting a fin aid application - anyone else in the same boat?
they send you an email about financial aid to the student email

Any advice for the interview here!?
Accepted applicant here. Genuinely, interview day at jeff is so fun!! Best interview experience by far!! My student interview was very laid back and conversational, talked a lot about hobbies and stuff. Faculty was also laid back as well but more centered on your application. I didn't have any weird or trick questions or anything, just 2 people trying to get to know you. I happened to know a bit about Philly already and some of the issues in the area, so I brought those up and how I wanted to help that and my interviewer really liked that. So, added bonus if you know a bit about Philly issues and initiatives, but just be yourself and have fun!!