LECOM alternate list

Congarts to people who got accepted! My question is: this waiting thing is painful enough, so why they are making it worse? They can easily say, we have an alternate list of 100 applicants, so far we accepted 25 top applicants and as of now you are number 99 but you might move higher or lower if anything changes in your profile. Just a thought!

Most wait lists are not ranked. They retain a pool of applicants that they draw/select from depending on the class composition. I was wait-listed last year at 2 schools and had no acceptances so I know your pain.
But this cycle I had many pre-Dec and post-Dec interviews and multiple Dec 1st acceptances.
If LECOM would not be your #1 choice (if you had say, 2-3 acceptances), then don't worry (I know, easier said than done, but I speak from experience) you can try again.
The next cycle comes fast and being a second time applicant with all the completed pre-reqs is much more attractive to dental schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Update from today:

Alternate will not be ranked. Alternate will hear in February instead of January now. Second round of acceptances were already sent.

did you call today ?
so the next round of acceptance will be sent in feb ? (excluding some blank status people)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup! Called in today :) Regular alternate won't hear until February.

Seriously, bummer :(

If the alternate list isn't ranked, then how do they choose who to send acceptances to?

I don't know... but I'm assuming they'll maybe just review everyone again and pick out certain people to balance out the composition of the class (stats, 50:50 gender ratio, etc....)... that's just a guess...

Update from today:

Alternate will not be ranked. Alternate will hear in February instead of January now. Second round of acceptances were already sent.

That's right. Just want to modify: we won't hear back from them until LATE Feb. The longer it is, the more painful we are. :xf:

lol why late Feb?
I wonder why too. Either accepting or rejecting . Don't understand why ds does that ???
If they think the applicants are not competitive enough, how come they just eliminate immediately ? Giving fake hope is worst.

I still don't think they reviewed my file since they decided to invite me for an interview. So I guess this entire month will be re-reviewing files?

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe they are just waiting until they have all the jan and feb interviews done to decide who gets the remaining spots ... major bumber

Well the first thing I am going to do is grab myself a drink and enjoy this wkend. Then I am going to focus on finishing my last semester strong. I will focus on interviews for a job during the semester. And lastly I heard that there are a few more schools opening next year so I might try dental school again (this time applying for more then just a few schools).

BUT If I get accepted in late Feb I will be as happy as can be and I will be going to LECOM :cool:

I'm restudying for my DAT retake at the end of this month. Nothing super hardcore. About 2-3 hours per day of studying. And I picked up a new hobby about fish, which consumes a lot of my time (and money!) heheh Either way, this DAT retake will be great. It'll help me with this cycle and definitely next cycle :)

I also had a few job offers and looking forward to my last semester. What new schools? Food, your gpa is solid so a nice DAT will make you a first round pick for sure. If I don't hear the good news in Feb I will probably start studying for a retake as well.

Not positive these will make it, but I've heard of these two planning to be open to apply to this next cycle for class of 2017.

University of New England College of Dental Medicine (Portland, Maine)
Missouri School of Dentistry & Oral Health (not sure of the name...it's another AT Still dental school)

Those two are what I have heard but we will find out more towards June

For the new school opening in Maine, they have some preference to those living in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont :)

Called and declined my offer last week. Best of luck to those waiting on this school.

So I called and they are going to finish conducting interviews which end in March and then they will review all the alternates and will give offers via phone.

this is getting ridiculous that they keep pushing back when they will be notifying any of the alternates. i was really loving everything about lecom until everything that's happened since the beginning of december. now they just seem to be so unorganized and just making things up as they go. i'm really starting to question if they program will really be the same way for the first few years.

Yea I'm banking on Boston. I was impressed with their emphasis on clinical experience but how they are treating us and keeping us in the dark has left a bitter taste in my mouth. I don't know if they are in oh S*** mode or what. I asked how many of the initial 100 accepted the offer and she said she didn't know lol. That is clearly a figure anyone in admission would know.

it's a shame too. the program was very impressive and the area was really nice. and i was especially looking forward to being in the same class with a lot of you guys. good luck with boston. i'm hoping for roseman or even a few more interviews (kentucky, louisville, vcu) would be nice.

You guys are freaking out and getting bitter about nothing. lol. I've been watching you guys discuss every aspect of this and throw out all kinds of conjecture since Dec. 1. Take a step back for a second and breath lol.

Im sorry you didnt get an acceptance right away (i didnt either), but EVERY school is going to be the exact same way. While some schools rank their alternates (or tell you what the rank is) certainly not all do. Most schools interview till March. All schools will tell you that can accept alternates up till the first day of classes. They dont have a deadline that they have to tell you anything!!! lol Just because they say March doesnt mean it will take them till March to tell you. You may get a phone call tomorrow. Its not a question of organization. Your expectations of the situation are just slightly askew.

P.S. I promise you they know. Does it really make sense that they are going to give you their figures on how many students have accepted?! I can think of a multitude reasons why a school wouldn't give out that information until their class is filled.

You guys all need to chillax and realize that this is just part of the game.

I wonder how many deposits they will have by the end of March (my guess is 75-85)
And I wonder how many will be on the alternate by the end of March (my guess is 200-250?)
And lastly, I wonder what's the total number of people they will have interviewed by the end of March (my guess is ~585-625)

What do you all think?

I know it keeps your mind at easy but justsmile10 has a point .... lets put this in the back of our mind and not think about it too much. Just concentrate on doing good this semester and hope for the best.

Well the first thing I am going to do is grab myself a drink and enjoy this wkend. Then I am going to focus on finishing my last semester strong. I will focus on interviews for a job during the semester. And lastly I heard that there are a few more schools opening next year so I might try dental school again (this time applying for more then just a few schools).

BUT If I get accepted in late Feb I will be as happy as can be and I will be going to LECOM :cool:

Wow. Seriously? A few more schools? Where?

I hope everyone here has a good debt-cutting strategy. It's gonna be an interesting ride...

Last edited:
Wow. Seriously? A few more schools? Where?

I hope everyone here has a good debt-cutting strategy. It's gonna be an interesting ride...

I'm pretty sure there's only 2 new ones next cycle. Missouri school of dentistry and oral health (asdoh's sister) and the New England one.

alternate today...Interviewed 1/20th.... thought I did well on the interview :(

The alternate list is probably enormous right now if that is true...

it's weird because so many people with good stats are getting waitlisted, while those with avg stats are getting in.

man i hope i do well in the interview lol

ooops wrong thread

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many seats are available??..it looks like a lot of people are offered alternative position...is lecom first preference for everyone here?... it does look like a lot of people with good stats are on alternative...

I recently had an interview with Lecom and my status on the portal changed to "The ad com has made a decision..... letter within 30 days"

It seems most people who have received this message are on the 'alternate list' or has anyone been accepted and received this message? I see OTHgrl2390 was accepted with that same message, anyone else?

Thanks and good luck everyone!

Hey guys, I just wanted to inform you of some things. People were wondering If I was wait listed, and the answer is yes. I think they wont be getting to the wait list until well after march.

Last edited:
I wont specify the date, it was after December (dont want to give away identity). I wouldn't try and give you false info, I wish it wasn't true either, lets just say a pretty important person from the institution informed me of the truth.

First it was Jan. then it was Feb. then it was March and now it's May?

i really find it hard to believe that this person actually told you this info. did this person tell you after your interview or something? (not to insult you or anything, but i really wouldn't think that they'd tell you the specifics)

i remember during my interview, one admissions counselor said that if you're on the alternate list you still have a pretty good shot, as she had already pulled a few people from the alternate list at that point (this was recently btw). she did mention that in may more seats are going to be opening up, since that around when schools have set their "final" deadline or something.

either way, my name isn't leaving that alternate list. i made it really clear that i am interested in attending so hopefully it'll work out.

First it was Jan. then it was Feb. then it was March and now it's May?

Ya, I was given the same "runaround" on the dates as well. First told "definitely" at the end of Jan, then when that didnt happen it gets changed to Feb. I understand they probably don't know what they are doing since it's their first year, but a little honesty would have been much better than the "run-around" that has been thrown our way. If alternate was going to be contacted in May, then say that from the get go

I'm thankful to have an offer somewhere else, so it's not a huge deal to me, but I would be pretty furious if I was still holding out hope on this school