Liberty University COM (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sick of seeing this cat with a hat on this board..go awaaay

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I realize that I've come across as a bit of an ass. I'm sorry for that. I (stupidly) did not think how my words were coming across to students who are planning on attending liberty. My intention was never to put down or shame anyone, if you have seen my other posts perhaps you have noticed that I try my best to be supportive and helpful here.

My intentions were simply to inform potential applicants of the Evangelical nature of this university, because that type of environment is not for everyone. But coming here and being a jerk about it wasn't cool.

For those who have been accepted, I wish you the best. I was lucky enough to be accepted into my dream school and I'm very happy for anyone who will be attending a school they feel comfortable and welcome at.

:)

tumblr_m8d1rsLgej1qeoo18o1_500.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One of my favorites for sure =)

I realize that I've come across as a bit of an ass. I'm sorry for that. I (stupidly) did not think how my words were coming across to students who are planning on attending liberty. My intention was never to put down or shame anyone, if you have seen my other posts perhaps you have noticed that I try my best to be supportive and helpful here.

My intentions were simply to inform potential applicants of the Evangelical nature of this university, because that type of environment is not for everyone. But coming here and being a jerk about it wasn't cool.

For those who have been accepted, I wish you the best. I was lucky enough to be accepted into my dream school and I'm very happy for anyone who will be attending a school they feel comfortable and welcome at.

Ah! My old friend, touchpause13! Welcome to the Liberty forum. AKA: the cat with the hat! You are more than welcome to come here and say whatever you would like. That is the beauty of the forum. I feel that my counterparts are quick to defend, but I hope that everyone is not close minded on what he/she (?) has to say (sorry, I do not know your gender). touchpause13 has valid statements and is no troll. I feel that he is just a curious as the rest of us on what LUCOM will produce... And I am one who will be attending the school! I am sure that the administrators and professors are just as curious. It's a new school, this should be something that you should consider as well as it's nature.
Now, I believe that (unlike most on sdn) this school is going to be a great school and I don't think they are going to be brainwashing us. I believe this school has a lot of potential, a lot of money and resources, and a great faculty and staff... not to mention its goal... to produce doctors who have a christian attitude. Now! Please! Don't read too much into this! The christian attitude doesn't mean that we are all going to be christians... it just means that we are essentially going to be good people who treat our patients with respect and love. That we will care for our patients as if they were our own self (golden rule).
So, with that being said, let us treat touchpause13 as well as anyone else on here as we would want to be treated ourselves. Keep in mind, you may have rotations, internship, residency, fellowship, or a partnership with him/her someday. There is a high possibility that one of us will meet him or knows someone who knows him... as we are the minority (being DO's). So let's stick together and support each other. This is what a professional is... Welcome to the ultimate professional experience... being a DOCTOR!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm a chick fyi. I appreciate your post. I hope you report back when you start school and tell us how things are going. Congratulations on your acceptance Captain.

Has anyone heard of any updates with regards to the wait-list?

Also, a sincere congratulations to all who have been accepted, and best of luck to those who have been granted interviews! (And to those whom have been waitlisted like me, keep your spirits high!)

To anyone on the Wait List:

Stay in touch with Mr. Cook and Ms. Mendez for the next 5 months or so. Find ways to send them meaningful e-mails about once a month to show you are still interested (things like updates on your application). Just don't be weird, annoying, or awkward about it. Send a Letter of Intent if you know LUCOM is your #1 choice and include the fact that you will definitely commit to the school if accepted. As bad as it feels right now, when it gets down to the end of the application cycle and they continue to fill the same 20-30 spots over and over, being someone they know will take the spot and not create more work for them will move you up their list.

Keep in mind that any contact you have with the school will be recorded in your file, so your conversations with admissions staff will offer another opinion on your character to the adcom. Also, follow any advice they give you...it shows you are humble and willing to take direction.

Best of luck friends... and may the odds be ever in your favor ;-)

Reactions: 1 users
Ah! My old friend, touchpause13! Welcome to the Liberty forum. AKA: the cat with the hat! You are more than welcome to come here and say whatever you would like. That is the beauty of the forum. I feel that my counterparts are quick to defend, but I hope that everyone is not close minded on what he/she (?) has to say (sorry, I do not know your gender). touchpause13 has valid statements and is no troll. I feel that he is just a curious as the rest of us on what LUCOM will produce... And I am one who will be attending the school! I am sure that the administrators and professors are just as curious. It's a new school, this should be something that you should consider as well as it's nature.
Now, I believe that (unlike most on sdn) this school is going to be a great school and I don't think they are going to be brainwashing us. I believe this school has a lot of potential, a lot of money and resources, and a great faculty and staff... not to mention its goal... to produce doctors who have a christian attitude. Now! Please! Don't read too much into this! The christian attitude doesn't mean that we are all going to be christians... it just means that we are essentially going to be good people who treat our patients with respect and love. That we will care for our patients as if they were our own self (golden rule).
So, with that being said, let us treat touchpause13 as well as anyone else on here as we would want to be treated ourselves. Keep in mind, you may have rotations, internship, residency, fellowship, or a partnership with him/her someday. There is a high possibility that one of us will meet him or knows someone who knows him... as we are the minority (being DO's). So let's stick together and support each other. This is what a professional is... Welcome to the ultimate professional experience... being a DOCTOR!
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is called class!
Well said!

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is called class!
Well said!
Thanks.

Anyone else not able to log onto the LUCOM website? Says that either my name and/or password is wrong... but it's not. I even changed the password. Am I the only one in this boat?

did you use the user name they gave you rather than your email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received any information on the health insurance offered through the school?

Has anyone received any information on the health insurance offered through the school?

Ben Smith wrote on the Facebook page that it would be available on the school website on April 1st.

Ben Smith wrote on the Facebook page that it would be available on the school website on April 1st.

Thanks! I don't have Facebook... probably the only person in the world who doesn't have it. My high school and college friends probably think I'm dead!

Thanks! I don't have Facebook... probably the only person in the world who doesn't have it. My high school and college friends probably think I'm dead!

Lol. We're going to use facebook to coordinate roommates, study groups, practice exam questions, study aid distribution, social events, and anything of importance really. There's already a ton of useful information on the LUCOM Class of 2018 page. Make an account you caveman!!

Reactions: 3 users
I was accepted at CUSOM off of the waitlist today. LUCOM was the first school to send me a secondary application, invite me to interview, and accept me. I'll forever be grateful and for the opportunity that LUCOM presented to me but NC is my home. My acceptance to CUSOM was bitter and sweet because I was looking forward to being apart of the wonderful works the lord IS doing and IS going to do with/at LUCOM. I wish you all the best and I know that you guys are going to establish a good reputation.

Reactions: 2 users
I was accepted at CUSOM off of the waitlist today. LUCOM was the first school to send me a secondary application, invite me to interview, and accept me. I'll forever be grateful and for the opportunity that LUCOM presented to me but NC is my home. My acceptance to CUSOM was bitter and sweet because I was looking forward to being apart of the wonderful works the lord IS doing and IS going to do with/at LUCOM. I wish you all the best and I know that you guys are going to establish a good reputation.
Congrats :)

So far what has been the avg,/estimated sci/c gpa and MCAT of those accepted so far?

i posted my stats and am interviewing thursday

So far what has been the avg,/estimated sci/c gpa and MCAT of those accepted so far?
I'm not sure they've made those available yet. I'm gonna take a guess at roughly 24 mcat and somewhere around 3.0+ sci GPA, 3.5 overall GPA. I could be way off but because it's such a new school, these averages are probably close. So far from the Facebook posts, most of the accepted students are non trad with lots of life/work experience and I can only assume a lot of passion for the field (based on their ECs and volunteer work, work experience, etc). LUCOM has been accepting quite a few "underdogs" such as myself but based on what I've read, we are a motivated bunch, with lots of personality :)

What made you choose CUSOM?

What made you choose CUSOM?
I chose CUSOM because I like the area (Conservative, cost of living is really low, close enough to big city, crime isn't a problem). I graduated high school in harnett county (where CUSOM is) and I'm a current student at Campbell University. Both schools are new but have a reputation for reaching their stated goals so it wasn't because I think that one school is superior in any regard.

I agree with EH123. I too have noticed that LUCOM seems to be accepting a lot of non-trad underdogs (myself included.) They also have some rockstars with stats that could have gotten them in wherever they wanted to go.

I think this says a lot about how well non-trad students with life experience tend to do. Our scores on COMLEX and USMLE will have a lot to do with whether LUCOM goes from provisional to full accreditation. They are putting a lot of faith in us, and us in them. It is nice to be going somewhere where they chose me for a reason, and I chose them for a reason.

August is going to be the start of something really exciting for us! I can't wait to meet you all.

Does anybody know how many seats are left or how many of those that get an interview are accepted?

I'm getting nervous...

Does anybody know how many seats are left or how many of those that get an interview are accepted?

I'm getting nervous...
I'm guessing there are at least 30 open seats...and idk about a % of people that get in after interviewing.

Lol. We're going to use facebook to coordinate roommates, study groups, practice exam questions, study aid distribution, social events, and anything of importance really. There's already a ton of useful information on the LUCOM Class of 2018 page. Make an account you caveman!!
I like my cave and email...

I was supposed to interview tomorrow, but my flight was cancelled because of the Winter storm warning. I tried to reroute, but just couldn't find a way. Do you think they will let me reschedule?

I was supposed to interview tomorrow, but my flight was cancelled because of the Winter storm warning. I tried to reroute, but just couldn't find a way. Do you think they will let me reschedule?

Of course. Just call them right away

Yeah, I would call ASAP and let them know. I'm sure they will be ok w/ a reschedule given the circumstances. Good luck!

I called to Admissions and I found out that the class is already full.

Good luck

I wouldn't worry too much that the class is already full, if you have an interview its in your best interest to attend. I'm willing to bet there will be a lot of wait-list movement since this is a new school

I wouldn't worry too much that the class is already full, if you have an interview its in your best interest to attend. I'm willing to bet there will be a lot of wait-list movement since this is a new school

^ Exactly. After June 15, people with multiple acceptances will have to commit to a single school and may withdraw from LUCOM to attend somewhere else for whatever reason (closer to home, cheaper, MD acceptance, etc.). Typically people who interview in the last few months of the cycle will be interviewing to get on the wait-list...unless they're a star and perform above and beyond what the adcom is looking for :)

Yeah, I wouldn't read too much into this. I know a radiologist who was accepted to med school 2 wks AFTER they started.

I like my cave and email...
I'd take their advice. Even if you use FB as nothing more than a way to access your class page, here at KCOM it has proven to be an invaluable resource. Classmates often sharing study guides (often better than any I could make myself), dissemination and clarification of info, and whatever else. Seriously, get an account JUST to join your class page.

Hey I don't know the exact role he will hold there, but you guys are getting a GREAT doctor from us! Dr. Lockwood is his name. He teaches OTM and women's health works in women's health (delivered my baby). Seriously an awesome guy so I hope many of you get a chance to spend some time with him.

Also, he's a freaking OMM magician. He knows his stuff and will blow your mind if you see him in action.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey I don't know the exact role he will hold there, but you guys are getting a GREAT doctor from us! Dr. Lockwood is his name. He teaches OTM and women's health works in women's health (delivered my baby). Seriously an awesome guy so I hope many of you get a chance to spend some time with him.

Also, he's a freaking OMM magician. He knows his stuff and will blow your mind if you see him in action.
That's great to hear! I'm happy to hear that the caliber of professors is high and are respected by their students. Just from the hand-full of professors at the school that I met, they really seemed top notched.
Regarding the FB advice, I may have to just get an account...

According to Dr. Reynolds from ACOM, 25% of accepted students will withdraw their acceptances to any given school, even if the school is a new DO school (ACOM last year). For those of you in the waitlist or hoping for that acceptance call, don't give up hope. After May 15th, all MD schools will finalize their rosters, having a domino effect on most of the 30 DO schools. Last year ACOM took 40/90 out of their waitlist . I would not be surprised if LUCOM has a similar stat.

Good luck to all of you waiting for that phone call.

Last edited:
For those put on the alternate list, how did you hear? I had to call admissions directly to learn this. I was given to understand I would receive a phone call or email (I have been checking my Liberty email) and received neither.

For those put on the alternate list, how did you hear? I had to call admissions directly to learn this. I was given to understand I would receive a phone call or email (I have been checking my Liberty email) and received neither.

Same thing happened with me. I suppose we just have to be patient and pray for the best!

Alright guys, I have deferred my seat at LUCOM for the oncoming class 0f 2015. Very sad to not be a part of something magical but at the same time, still very excited to be a part of the LUCOM family. Best of luck to the class of 2018!