Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesLMT

Accidentally Accepted
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New school!!! Accepting first class August 2013!! Discuss Away!!

Members don't see this ad.

looking forward to the development of this new program.... think its going to be strong!

Looking forward to applying here. Agreed, it looks like theyre doing a lot of things to help the school succeed. Considering the state has only one other med school hopefully there won't be any shortage of resources for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
So how do you guys think it'll work out this application season? Most schools like to wait until the previous years class is set before offering interviews and what not. Do you think Marian will do things any sooner? I might have to check some of the newer schools previous threads if I get a chance

Has anyone checked with Marion regarding requiring a letter from a DO? The Supplement Booklet says MD or DO but I think the website says osteopathic physician.

Has anyone checked with Marion regarding requiring a letter from a DO? The Supplement Booklet says MD or DO but I think the website says osteopathic physician.
I sent an e-mail yesterday and am waiting for a response. I'm hoping they'll say either, because the MD letter writer knows me a lot better than the DO writer.

error-can't figure out how to delete

So how do you guys think it'll work out this application season? Most schools like to wait until the previous years class is set before offering interviews and what not. Do you think Marian will do things any sooner? I might have to check some of the newer schools previous threads if I get a chance

I've had a few communications with the executive assistant to the dean.

July 1st is the date admissions staff will be in place. I'd assume that they will get the ball rolling fairly quickly after that.

Member000000-I did the same and received a response. They indicated they accept both MD or DO. I also was glad to hear it! I've worked with a couple osteopathic physicians in the past, but it has been a couple years and I've developed a good working relationship with an MD since.

Good luck!

Now IU Med has some competition.

Some of my best friends who applied to IU with just under 3.6 and just under 29s get rejected year after year. Hopefully they can find a home here!

I think if Marian plays its cards right, it can become a DO school powerhouse in Indy.

Does anyone know if they give preference to in state students?

Their goal is to fix the deficit in Indiana, so I'm sure they will at least to some degree.

But I agree, I think 90% of my friends who are pre-med from Indiana have it as their second choice right behind IU.

Drove by the campus over the weekend, the new building is coming along nicely.

From what I have heard, they have pretty strong partnerships with hospitals, so rotations should be handled much better than several other newer DO schools.

Indianapolis is a very strong medical hub, everywhere you look is a hospital or practice.

Only downfall is the Marian campus is kinda near the hood. But Indy is a driving town.

There was a lot of buzz about it at the recent Journal of American College of Surgeons conference I attended in Indy this year.

Drove by the campus over the weekend, the new building is coming along nicely.

From what I have heard, they have pretty strong partnerships with hospitals, so rotations should be handled much better than several other newer DO schools.

Indianapolis is a very strong medical hub, everywhere you look is a hospital or practice.

Only downfall is the Marian campus is kinda near the hood. But Indy is a driving town.

There was a lot of buzz about it at the recent Journal of American College of Surgeons conference I attended in Indy this year.

It's also fairly close to broadripple, which is a pretty nice area of town. There are plenty of nice little bubbles of good housing in the area. But the benefit of being within that area is that housing is pretty decently priced.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I would've talked with the Marian reps when they came to IU this Spring! I'm just a little uncertain if it would be a good idea to apply here as a first year school but I have no doubt it will be excellent in the future if they align themselves with IU med. It would be awesome to go here though - so close to home and many of my friends live in the Indy area. Can't wait to learn more!

I wish I would've talked with the Marian reps when they came to IU this Spring! I'm just a little uncertain if it would be a good idea to apply here as a first year school but I have no doubt it will be excellent in the future if they align themselves with IU med. It would be awesome to go here though - so close to home and many of my friends live in the Indy area. Can't wait to learn more!

How will IU Med view the new DO school?

Personally, I don't think it will change things except for maybe the borderline applicants now can stay in indiana instead of going to a older DO school

Is indiana DO friendly? It is odd because the nierboring states all have DO schools, all very good ones too and indiana is just now getting one.

what does DO friendly mean exactly? how does one measure such friendliness?

I mean there's a primary care shortage in Indiana so it would be very easy for DOs to practice in Indiana. I also saw that some of IUSM's residency programs have plenty DOs in them (I checked ER, anesthes, internal med. radiology had no DOs)

what does DO friendly mean exactly? how does one measure such friendliness?

I mean there's a primary care shortage in Indiana so it would be very easy for DOs to practice in Indiana. I also saw that some of IUSM's residency programs have plenty DOs in them (I checked ER, anesthes, internal med. radiology had no DOs)

Is Marian opening up any new AOA residencies, and if so in what?

i heard something today from a admissions counselor

"we are looking for AT LEAST a 3.2... but probably around a 3.5 to be competitive"

oh, what about an MCAT score?

"we would say to be competitive, around a 27 -- if you have a below a 24, we highly recommend you retake it"

loll

i heard something today from a admissions counselor

"we are looking for AT LEAST a 3.2... but probably around a 3.5 to be competitive"

oh, what about an MCAT score?

"we would say to be competitive, around a 27 -- if you have a below a 24, we highly recommend you retake it"

loll

Riiiiiiiiight. Tomorrow pigs will sprout wings and fly.

d5Gjn.gif

I've had a few communications with the executive assistant to the dean.

July 1st is the date admissions staff will be in place. I'd assume that they will get the ball rolling fairly quickly after that.

any word on secondaries?

DrRichand1: I'm assuming we won't get secondaries until after July 1st because of what tdog60tf said earlier in the thread. But who really knows! Just a guess!

You got the secondary?

Haha, no. I didn't even apply yet. I was trying to check out the site to see what the requirements are but page has been unable to load for the past couple of weeks.

Haha, no. I didn't even apply yet. I was trying to check out the site to see what the requirements are but page has been unable to load for the past couple of weeks.

Oh ok. Well this is from the website:

To be considered a competitive applicant, candidates should have achieved at least a 3.20 science and cumulative grade point average, on a 4.00 scale.
The minimum overall GPA for acceptance is 3.00 in the last 120 hours; however, students with a GPA less than 3.20 are rarely accepted.
The admissions process is competitive, and a higher grade point average (above 3.40) results in improved chances for acceptance. COMs place emphasis on the last 120 credit hours and on the science and required courses when choosing between competitive applicants. COMs also place emphasis on the applicant's interview.

The required undergraduate courses for entry are:
Biological sciences: one year with laboratory (eight credit hours/12 quarter hours)
Physics: one year with laboratory (six to eight credit hours/nine to 12 quarter hours)
Inorganic chemistry: one year with laboratory (eight credit hours/12 quarter hours)
Organic chemistry: one year with laboratory (eight credit hours/12 quarter hours)
English: one year (six credit hours/eight quarter hours)
Six additional science hours are required
(faculty recommend courses in anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, immunology, microbiology, or genetics to enhance the student's success in medical school).
Note: Courses with equivalent content will be reviewed. Most COMs follow the AACOMAS definition of science courses to determine science GPA and science hours. See the AACOMAS web site for more information.

And they definitely pre-screen before sending out secondaries.

Thanks weezy. I wonder why the website won't work for me...tried with two different browsers too.

I am all in for Marian but I dont think my GPAs (3.15 cGPA, 3.28 sGPA) will pass the screening stage. Expecting a 27+ MCAT score based on my AAMC practice test. Should I even apply?

I am all in for Marian but I dont think my GPAs (3.15 cGPA, 3.28 sGPA) will pass the screening stage. Expecting a 27+ MCAT score based on my AAMC practice test. Should I even apply?

None of us can be the judge of whether you should apply or not because we don't know how the school may handle your application. However, according to what it says on the website you would meet their bare minimum requirements for gpa even though they prefer 3.2+. You never know at what cutoff they will screen at so maybe give the school a call and tell them your stats. I'm sure they will give you an honest answer.

Any idea on what they want us to send in terms of LORs and where to send them? I've been getting secondaries for other schools and in my time off got a little lazy and didn't send my LORs out right away so that everything is in ASAP, so in general im trying to send in my LORs for all the DO schools I've applied to so that I don't have to worry about it.

How long did it take for you guys to get verified?

I wonder where the secondaries areeeeeee :whistle:

c'mon Marian. Even campbell got their stuff up and running.

I sent an e-mail to Marian in late June, and just got a response from an admissions counselor...so maybe their admissions team is finally up and running. Guessing the secondary will come in real soon!

Anyone know if it's worth applying as an OOS student with average DO stats? I was thinking maybe someone had had some interaction with the Adcom.

NurWollen- No, don't apply. Less competition for the rest of us...

Anyone know if it's worth applying as an OOS student with average DO stats? I was thinking maybe someone had had some interaction with the Adcom.

I've shadowed a DO who claims to be on Marian's ADCOM and from what I can tell he supports anyone applying and that is interested in osteopathic medicine. Also, I don't think Marian can really afford to choose against OOSers until they get a few more years under their belt, although they really want physicians who will practice in IN. That said, you should definitely apply. I spend a fair amount of time on Marian's campus and it's a nice place with a small undergrad population. Unfortunately, it's location isn't ideal as it's pretty much centered in Indy's ghetto.

I talked to admissions and they said they were not biased towards in state residents.

I talked to admissions and they said they were not biased towards in state residents.

So in state students will be given no preference? I thought they wanted to address the primary care shortage in Indiana.

So in state students will be given no preference? I thought they wanted to address the primary care shortage in Indiana.

I feel as though they wouldn't hold it against someone if they were OOS, but they would definitely give preference to those who expressed a willingness to pracitice primary care in IN.

I've shadowed a DO who claims to be on Marian's ADCOM and from what I can tell he supports anyone applying and that is interested in osteopathic medicine. Also, I don't think Marian can really afford to choose against OOSers until they get a few more years under their belt, although they really want physicians who will practice in IN. That said, you should definitely apply. I spend a fair amount of time on Marian's campus and it's a nice place with a small undergrad population. Unfortunately, it's location isn't ideal as it's pretty much centered in Indy's ghetto.

There are much worse areas of Indianapolis and it's not that far from some pretty nice areas. So its location is not ideal, but it's also not as bad as it could be.

Thanks to everyone who has expressed interest in Marian University's College of Osteopathic Medicine!

This is an update from the Office of Enrollment Management regarding our timeline for reviewing applications. Later this week, we will confirm all of the applications that have been downloaded from AACOMAS. From there, a member of our Admissions Committee will screen for minimum requirements for admissions. Then, invitations to complete a supplemental application will go out by email, which could be followed by an invitation to interview.

As a new medical school, we appreciate everyone's patience as we get up and running. You will hear a lot more from us in a very short period of time.

Sincerely,
MU-COM Admissions

Thanks to everyone who has expressed interest in Marian University's College of Osteopathic Medicine!

This is an update from the Office of Enrollment Management regarding our timeline for reviewing applications. Later this week, we will confirm all of the applications that have been downloaded from AACOMAS. From there, a member of our Admissions Committee will screen for minimum requirements for admissions. Then, invitations to complete a supplemental application will go out by email, which could be followed by an invitation to interview.

As a new medical school, we appreciate everyone's patience as we get up and running. You will hear a lot more from us in a very short period of time.

Sincerely,
MU-COM Admissions

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a school admin update like that on SDN. Much appreciated.