Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a school admin update like that on SDN. Much appreciated.

agreed. that's pretty cool

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks to everyone who has expressed interest in Marian University's College of Osteopathic Medicine!

This is an update from the Office of Enrollment Management regarding our timeline for reviewing applications. Later this week, we will confirm all of the applications that have been downloaded from AACOMAS. From there, a member of our Admissions Committee will screen for minimum requirements for admissions. Then, invitations to complete a supplemental application will go out by email, which could be followed by an invitation to interview.

As a new medical school, we appreciate everyone's patience as we get up and running. You will hear a lot more from us in a very short period of time.

Sincerely,
MU-COM Admissions

sounds exciting

I don't know how many of you have watched the information video on their website but for a new school they really seem to have their stuff together.

I also thought it was unique that they (will) have nursing students train with medical students in the simulation labs, I've never heard of that before. Both the school of nursing and medical school are in the same building just on opposite sides.

Didn't apply here but I am definitely thinking about adding them. They seem to have a lot of backing from the hospitals in Indy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how many of you have watched the information video on their website but for a new school they really seem to have their stuff together.

I also thought it was unique that they (will) have nursing students train with medical students in the simulation labs, I've never heard of that before. Both the school of nursing and medical school are in the same building just on opposite sides.

Didn't apply here but I am definitely thinking about adding them. They seem to have a lot of backing from the hospitals in Indy.

Which video are you referring to?

I think he's talking about the virtual tour video on their website

Yeah that's the one, I really like it when schools put that much information about their schools up for everyone to see.

Yeah me too... Not many do though. The only ones that I think I've stumbled across with videos are Marian, West Virginia, and DMU.

Yeah me too... Not many do though. The only ones that I think I've stumbled across with videos are Marian, West Virginia, and DMU.
I agree completely, DMUs site is fantastic. Its like pulling teeth trying to get anything relevant out of CCOMs website. lol

Still no word from Marian at all... Did they lie to us? :(

I was told to expect secondaries to roll out in the next 2-3 weeks.I know they expect to give out the first acceptances around oct 15, so i'm guessing they will interview around mid-late Sept.

Just curious, how does everyone feel about possibly going to a brand new school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little worried, but I am pretty sure that Marian will have a strong program, which is why they are the only new school (no graduated class) that I will be applying to.

They seem to have their stuff together, and I would love to stay in the midwest. The Catholic thing freaks me out a little bit to be honest (not because I hate Catholics or anything-I just went to a Catholic high school and middle school...)

Now IU Med has some competition.

Some of my best friends who applied to IU with just under 3.6 and just under 29s get rejected year after year. Hopefully they can find a home here!

I think if Marian plays its cards right, it can become a DO school powerhouse in Indy.

Does anyone know if they give preference to in state students?

I completely agree!
They are in a perfect location...not to mention Marian has its very own personal philanthropist (Michael C Evans), a man for whom I have a tremendous amount of respect.

They seem to have their stuff together, and I would love to stay in the midwest. The Catholic thing freaks me out a little bit to be honest (not because I hate Catholics or anything-I just went to a Catholic high school and middle school...)

Catholic doesn't freak me out. What freaks me out is WCU and Campbell (Baptist) with their no sex, no alcohol etc... Even if it doesn't apply to medical students, I don't want to be in that kind of environment.

btw I'm an atheist.

Catholic doesn't freak me out. What freaks me out is WCU and Campbell (Baptist) with their no sex, no alcohol etc... Even if it doesn't apply to medical students, I don't want to be in that kind of environment.

btw I'm an atheist.

Education will kill all the ignorance...eventually (100 yrs or so) Campbell, WCU, etc. will all be normal...until then, just educate to reverse the indoctrinated minds...

btw I'm an atheist.

Ex-catholic agnostic over hurr.

Seriously no sex? i suppose that rule wouldn't count for me anyways because I'm married.. I'd be worried they might try and steal my birth control tho lolz...

Ex-catholic agnostic over hurr.

Seriously no sex? i suppose that rule wouldn't count for me anyways because I'm married.. I'd be worried they might try and steal my birth control tho lolz...

Haha. I'm more of a "I don't think about God enough to be considered an Atheist." I'm still applying to CUSOM and Marian though. I won't limit myself from opportunities just because of some silly beliefs people may have. If they have a strong curriculum, good faculty, good intentions, then I'll give them a shot. But I am absolutely NOT waking up early on Sundays.

btw I'm an atheist.

Doubt you'll really be in "that kind of environment" since I think I read the med facility is removed from the main campus a bit. I assume those rules are meant to apply to the undergrads who live in university housing (most of whom are probably underage to legally drink anyhow). Plenty of schools have a "dry campus". So if you aren't planning on living on campus don't think those rules would affect you.

Education will kill all the ignorance...eventually (100 yrs or so) Campbell, WCU, etc. will all be normal...until then, just educate to reverse the indoctrinated minds...

Edit: Reread this reply and realized you were talking about WCU and Campbell becoming secular. I wouldn't get your hopes up but I do hope we can at least move past zealotry in the next 100 years

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app, forgive my typos!

Last edited:
Doubt you'll really be in "that kind of environment" since I think I read the med facility is removed from the main campus a bit. I assume those rules are meant to apply to the undergrads who live in university housing (most of whom are probably underage to legally drink anyhow). Plenty of schools have a "dry campus". So if you aren't planning on living on campus don't think those rules would affect you.

I definitely didn't mean to start any kind of war lol

If CUSOM and WCU produce good physicians then more power to them. I just know that I would be at odds with the communities that have these kind of universities, and I don't want to be in that position. Bottom line I would feel uncomfortable living in those areas

Last edited:

If CUSOM and WCU produce good physicians then more power to them. I just know that I would be at odds with the communities that have these kind of universities, and I don't want to be in that position.

Word! Did my response seem defensive? Didn't intend that. Was just sayin;)

If CUSOM and WCU produce good physicians then more power to them. I just know that I would be at odds with the communities that have these kind of universities, and I don't want to be in that position. Bottom line I would feel uncomfortable living in those areas

I feel the same way... no more shame for me thank you very much

Edit: Reread this reply and realized you were talking about WCU and Campbell becoming secular. I wouldn't get your hopes up but I do hope we can at least move past zealotry in the next 100 years

I am very very optimistic about the future of the human race :D
I wish I could see all the advancements that will have happened 100-200 yrs from today.
I am fairly sure that secularism will sky rocket in the next few centuries :)

I am very very optimistic about the future of the human race :D
I wish I could see all the advancements that will have happened 100-200 yrs from today.
I am fairly sure that secularism will sky rocket in the next few centuries :)

It probably will, but at the same time that may not happen in the United States.

Very strongly considering applying here. I initially dismissed it as a new school but they really seem to have pulled their stuff together...

I was on the fence as well.

You should definitely watch this video, if you haven't already, as it was really what pushed me over the edge:
http://www.marian.edu/osteopathic-medical-school/Pages/virtual-tour.aspx

Agreed, very excited for this school. it seems like they really want to see a solid GPA 3.5+. and 150 seats is alot for a new school lol, more chances for everyone right? :)

It will be interesting to see which hospitals they are going to partner with because I think Indiana only has one medical school in the state and I would assume that IU runs the show in Indiana.

The spotlight will certainly be on this school, now is their time to shine!

Anyone else receive that "aacomas application received" email?

What are the screening requirements here for a secondary? >3.0 GPA for both cumulative and science? The school website wasn't very clear, at least to me

What are the screening requirements here for a secondary? >3.0 GPA for both cumulative and science? The school website wasn't very clear, at least to me
I believe it was minimum cGPA 3.0 in the last 120 hours. Seemed like they emphasized the sGPA of 3.2 minimum as well----so they could use those to screen. Looked like the MCAT was more fexible and less important than GPA.

Double checked my AACOMAS and it says released to Marian 6-28.
hmmm.gif

"Within the next few weeks, a member of our committee will render a decision on the minimum requirements for admission."

lol eeeeee i hope i make min requirements...

If I had to venture a guess like some other people have, I would guess they would screen:

cGPA 3.0 sGPA 3.2 MCAT: 24

Maybe those might be a little high, but they definitely seem to want to screen high.

Kinda misleading info on their website if they prescreen a 24 mcat..their website says:

" A competitive MCAT score usually begins at 24; however the MCAT is weighed in connection with GPA and personal qualities. The overall GPA and the interview are considered of most importance"

Edit: That makes it sound like a 23-24ish could be fine if your GPA and rest of the application was nice. .

Last edited:
Kinda misleading info on their website if they prescreen a 24 mcat..their website says:

" A competitive MCAT score usually begins at 24; however the MCAT is weighed in connection with GPA and personal qualities. The overall GPA and the interview are considered of most importance"

That makes it sound like even a 23 might be alright if your GPA and rest of application was nice.

:shrug: I'm not entirely sure how to interpret the information they have on their site. I guess we will find out eventually.

No email from them yet; released on 6/24, IN resident, and stats well above those speculated. Not worried. It would be nice to get the ball rolling already, though.