Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you ask if they had a Marian discount? I did and I think it's going to be around $80.

I did yeah! Not sure why mine was so pricey

Members don't see this ad.

"Supplement received" confirmation on Nov 18th. Hopefully something good comes back soon!

Last edited:
Just received an email from this school. Basically just an email saying who they are and encouraging me to apply. Is this just like a genera thing or should I look more into it?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an email from this school. Basically just an email saying who they are and encouraging me to apply. Is this just like a genera thing or should I look more into it?

Received one too, where they called me the wrong name, and I already applied lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users

Same here and was wondering the same thing

+1

I received that email too and am now wondering why I didn't apply here. I must have just overlooked it. My Lizzy is 62.5 and deciding if its worth it to apply so late in the cycle. I saw people mention it took a long time to get the secondary and be marked as complete. Any thoughts?

Just received an email from a Daniel Goodpaster inviting me to apply to their school. Not sure why I received this email, but wondering if I should bother applying at this point?

We all did, even those with interviews. My personal opinion is no, with the stressful interview (?) and the amount of time they took to process my application, it doesnt seem worth it at this point.

I got the same email a couple of weeks after they rejected me... +pissed+They also sent me an email encouraging me to apply for their MS program...

I recently submitted my secondary to MU-COM; however, I have a quick question. For our letters of recommendation, do we only have to upload them on AACOMAS? Or do we have to notify MU-COM which letters specifically we want them to review? Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently submitted my secondary to MU-COM; however, I have a quick question. For our letters of recommendation, do we only have to upload them on AACOMAS? Or do we have to notify MU-COM which letters specifically we want them to review? Thanks in advance!!
I had all mine uploaded to AACOMAS and looks like they reviewed it to mark as complete. The process took about a month for me.

I wish they would stop sending me emails to apply here.

Anyone know where I can find a match list?

I wish they would stop sending me emails to apply here.

Anyone know where I can find a match list?

Their first graduating class will be in 2017 so no match list yet.

Reactions: 1 user
This school is ridiculous. I was rejected pre II nov 1 and received an email on dec 1 encouraging me to apply here and that they "look forward to reviewing my application".

Unprofessional imo.

Reactions: 3 users
This school is ridiculous. I was rejected pre II nov 1 and received an email on dec 1 encouraging me to apply here and that they "look forward to reviewing my application".

Unprofessional imo.

I got that too, but I didn't apply here.. They probably sent it to anyone who took the MCAT recently or something.

A couple of my friends got emails addressed to other applicants. They definitely have their stuff together.

i wish this school would stop annoying me, begging me to apply here.

Received an email stating: Your application is at the screening phase for an interview invite.

Does that mean I'll get an ii?

I can definitely vouch for what the person said above about Candlewood. Great hotel to stay at. I stayed at the downtown location on N. White River Parkway this weekend for my interview. The staff are incredibly friendly and there is a business centre open in the hotel 24/7 with unlimited access to a printer free of charge. The computers there are also really good. Also coffee and tea are complementary and can be accessed any hour of the day. Be sure to ask about the Marian University discount. The rooms are very spacious. If you have time and you have access to a car, check out the Lincoln square pancake house for some kick ass breakfast. I think it's a chain but in Canada (where I'm applying from)I don't think we have those and it's really good.

This is where I hope to get in, good luck to everyone applying!

Just gave up my seat so there's one more out there for you guys. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone nervous about possibly finding out tomorrow

Anyone nervous about possibly finding out tomorrow

Absolutely terrified. I'll be sitting by the phone the whole day. For some reason, this feels worse than when I was waiting around to get my MCAT score lol. :scared:

But at the very least, no matter what happens, you can walk away from this knowing you've improved interviewing skills, and that this is not the end :thumbup:

Hi,

Anyone mind providing some info on the 1 year masters program?

Just received an email saying they did not review my file this week. I interviewed 12/3.

+1. Really nice of them to send the email so ppl aren't anxiously waiting all day.
Yes, it was very considerate. I know a few people who have been accepted on a Tuesday so its nice 's know I don't have to panic all weekend. I'll save that for next Thursday.

God damnit, what do i have to do to get this school to stop harassing me with its please apply here emails?

Thinking about sending this to them:

Dear Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine:

I have completed a thoughtful and careful review of your medical school. I am sorry to inform you that it is not possible for me to join your incoming class.

This year, I sent out over 30 applications to attend only one school. Many highly ranked schools have invited me to interview and it is unfortunate that I can only attend one school.

In addition to my outstanding academic record, I enhanced my academic career by participating in sustained and significant extra curricular activities, including research, clinical and medical shadowing, study and volunteer programs abroad, and outreach to under served communities. I value "medical student" centered medical schools and I am interested in schools who fit that mold.

Because I declined your offer to apply does not mean you are not an excellent medical school. It simply means that I must be very selective with my highly qualified group of medical schools, and that I endeavor to identify and interview at schools that will be the best match for my mission. Naturally, I wish you the very best in educating your incoming class and I invite you to interview me for residency.

Warm regards, EngimaticScale

Reactions: 6 users

I have completed a thoughtful and careful review of your medical school. I am sorry to inform you that it is not possible for me to join your incoming class.

This year, I sent out over 30 applications to attend only one school. Many highly ranked schools have invited me to interview and it is unfortunate that I can only attend one school.

In addition to my outstanding academic record, I enhanced my academic career by participating in sustained and significant extra curricular activities, including research, clinical and medical shadowing, study and volunteer programs abroad, and outreach to under served communities. I value "medical student" centered medical schools and I am interested in schools who fit that mold.

Because I declined your offer to apply does not mean you are not an excellent medical school. It simply means that I must be very selective with my highly qualified group of medical schools, and that I endeavor to identify and interview at schools that will be the best match for my mission. Naturally, I wish you the very best in educating your incoming class and I invite you to interview me for residency.

*massive eyeroll*

Just go to the bottom and unsubscribe

Just go to the bottom and unsubscribe

psiYDiH.gif

Reactions: 6 users
Did anyone find out if they got in today? Or were waitlisted? Or was everyone pushed back until next Thursday?

Did anyone find out if they got in today? Or were waitlisted? Or was everyone pushed back until next Thursday?

If I'm not mistaken, it seems as though those who are reviewed on a Thursday do not receive an email update until the following day/ following week. I could be wrong, but that seems to be how AdCom has been working.

Once your letters were successfully uploaded to AACOM primary application, would anyone mind letting me know how long it took you to witness MU-COM successfully download and attach those to your secondary application?

I've seen recent posts and posts from past years where it could take upwards of 4 weeks during busy season, but I've also seen MU-COM try to communicate updates and they've seemingly disavowed all activity on the site.

Thank you future Docs <3

rejected pre interview, the tears taste salty

rejected pre interview, the tears taste salty
I'm so sorry to hear that. But there are better things in store!

Can I ask what your stats were? I'm waiting to hear back and I'm getting nervous!

Is it typical to get a receipt of primary submission and an invitation for the secondary application the same day? I am reluctant to submit secondary and wonder if the university just trying to collect money at this point. I saw that many people received an invitation to apply from the admissions including those who were already rejected?

Is it typical to get a receipt of primary submission and an invitation for the secondary application the same day? I am reluctant to submit secondary and wonder if the university just trying to collect money at this point. I saw that many people received an invitation to apply from the admissions including those who were already rejected?

It could be that you just passed through a screen that automatically sent you the secondaries if you had a certain GPA and MCAT score. Once you complete the secondary they'll begin to look at the other parts of your application and consider you for an interview

Officially declined my acceptance today! Hope it goes to someone awesome and deserving ;)

Reactions: 3 users
So this person made an account, had their very first post as this link and then hasn't been seen online since. I find that interesting.

I currently have Dr. Gebhardt as my group instructor for OMM. I have never once felt or saw that he crossed the line with me or with any other students. Also, I have not heard of any rumor among my classmates of any issues with any of the professors. Until he is proven guilty of these acts, I will continue to trust Dr. Gebhardt as a student because he earned my trust through his professionalism over the last year and half.
Well if he is facing real charges but has not yet been convicted he would be going about his life as ususal. Also, usually things of this nature involve only one student/victim that the aggressor deems as weak. That's why he wouldn't be crossing the line with other students. He's also a physician so he isn't dumb I'm sure he's aware that allegations from 2+ students would be very damning as appossed to 1 student in which he can argue a he said she said type of ordeal.

Just withdrew my acceptance. Felt weird! I hope it goes to one of you lovely people :)

Reactions: 2 users
Finally received the "application complete" email.

Now we play the waiting game.....

May I ask you why if this is ok? What made you decide not to, thanks.
I've been accepted elsewhere, and I needed to make the decision today or else spend 1000 bucks on the deposit in order to put off the decision. While I didn't have any particular qualms about MUCOM, the other school is a better fit.

Received another email this morning stating that my file was not reviewed and that a special session will be held next week so that a decision is made before the holidays.