Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today. Interviewing 1/13/17. cGPA 3.45 sGPA 3.56 MCAT 501
Did they mention how many available seats are available this class or does interviewing in Jan or Feb mean we are interviewing for a wait-list spot?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did they mention how many available seats are available this class or does interviewing in Jan or Feb mean we are interviewing for a wait-list spot?

I went last week, they didn't say either way, for both of your questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went last week, they didn't say either way, for both of your questions.

I can tell you that based on last year, my friend interviewed late February and got accepted immediately. She never landed on the waitlist. So have hope!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Just curious, when does the committee meet to decide on interview invites?

They make sure to keep at least some seats open all through the cycle. I interviewed on the last weekend (early April) last year and got accepted outright.

Can anyone tell me the orientation dates/first day of class for this year? Thanks so much!

Can anyone tell me the orientation dates/first day of class for this year? Thanks so much!

Their tentative calendar is orientation July 31-August 2, first day of class August 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats. Complete date/stats if you don't mind me asking?

Complete 9/2016. 3.4 undergrad sGPA, 3.9 graduate sGPA, 3.5 overall cGPA, MCAT 502 (1 attempt), EMT x 2 years, scribe x 3 years

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Placed on the alternative list :| Does anyone know anything about this list? How many people are placed on this list and how many do get accepted eventually? When do they start moving people from the alternative list to accepted? Should we write a letter of intent?

Alternate List. Anyone remember what they said at the interview regarding being placed on alternative list in terms of likelihood of getting off it?

Alternate List. Anyone remember what they said at the interview regarding being placed on alternative list in terms of likelihood of getting off it?
They said around 40% get accepted and they expect a LOI.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

accepted!

@ any current 3rd/4th year students, I have a few questions regarding the clinical rotations. could I message you?

Woot!!! II today, scheduled for 2/04. *SO* stoked. Been a good weekend... NSU invite Friday, Marian U invite today... life is pretty good

To respond to previous stats:

cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.6, 3 yrs Paramedic w/ CC vent experience

Woot!!! II today, scheduled for 2/04. *SO* stoked. Been a good weekend... NSU invite Friday, Marian U invite today... life is pretty good

To respond to previous stats:

cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.6, 3 yrs Paramedic w/ CC vent experience

Congrats! When were you complete?

Would anyone recommend calling admissions to check the status of our application? It's been a while since I've heard anything.

Accepted this morning! Super excited to join this program!

Congrats to everyone that's been excited, I'm so looking forward to interviewing here over the weekend.

Any tips for the interview day // places to eat that you'd recommend?

Congrats to everyone that's been excited, I'm so looking forward to interviewing here over the weekend.

Any tips for the interview day // places to eat that you'd recommend?
It was a low-stress interview for me.

I would say be yourself and don't be late. Good luck with the interview!

Interviewed on 1/13.

I was accepted today! Best of luck to everyone who's applying/waiting to hear back still!

Are there any Facebook groups to talk about housing and stuff with people who were accepted?

Withdrew my acceptance here in early Jan. Seemed like a nice school. My thoughts on situation: regardless of whether these allegations are true or false the sheer fact that they even exist & cause distraction is not good. Sexual misconduct in the workplace & academia is a very serious issue. Especially for a new school trying to match its FIRST class.
I did the same as you and withdrew my acceptance for the same reason

Did anyone get an interview that was put on hold? I was told that my "clear preparation for medical school was observed...however your application is slightly less competitive than other applicants...but the committee is still interested in your candidacy...as such you have been put on hold." :(

does mucom offer scholarship to OOS students?

does mucom have written anatomy practicals or are they multiple choice?

No institutional scholarships from what the said @ interview today

does mucom offer scholarship to OOS students?

does mucom have written anatomy practicals or are they multiple choice?
From what I remember, they take their anatomy exams on ipads, so I would assume the practicals would be multiple choice.

Well I'm happy for you first years having minimal problems. We've been having problems much more regularly than you guys. Must be a problem with lecture hall 2.
Wait till you're studying for boards and having to deal with technical difficulties. It's much more stressful at that point.

If anyone wants to talk to me about some of the things they don't tell you on tour then I'd be glad to give you honest feedback in regards to my experience here.
Be as specific as you like. I won't sugar coat anything.

Well I'm happy for you first years having minimal problems. We've been having problems much more regularly than you guys. Must be a problem with lecture hall 2.
Wait till you're studying for boards and having to deal with technical difficulties. It's much more stressful at that point.

If anyone wants to talk to me about some of the things they don't tell you on tour then I'd be glad to give you honest feedback in regards to my experience here.
Be as specific as you like. I won't sugar coat anything.

Can you expand at all on the Sexual harassment situation? I was excited to get accepted here, but after hearing that and some of the other things that's being said here, I"m not so sure anymore.

Can you expand at all on the Sexual harassment situation? I was excited to get accepted here, but after hearing that and some of the other things that's being said here, I"m not so sure anymore.

I don't know all that much about that because it occurred the year before I got here. It hasn't affected my education at all.

What are the other issues that are concerning to you? I'd be happy to comment on anything else

Yep, all of their exams are multiple choice

Practical exams are not multiple choice. They involve you performing omm diagnoses and techniques in front of a grader with a partner. The task you are assigned are generated at random and your partner and grader are also randomly computer generated. Hope this helps

Another thing that incoming students should know is that you never get to see the test once you have taken it. Given that this is a new school the policy is that they do not release any test questions to you so that they can build up a test bank.

Instead they give you these test reports that give you what subject you missed questions in but not the exact question. If you're the type of person that likes to review the test after having taken it then the way they do things here might not be the best for you.

Last edited: