Medical College of Georgia (MCG) Accepted Class of 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarthVader93

An Engineer and a Physician in Training
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I created a separate thread so that those students who were accepted can discuss future plans and questions. I thought this would be kinder to those students still waiting on the wait-list. The last thing they want to see every time they log in is a reminder.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Who is considering the new Certificate of Rural Community Heath Program? What do you all know about it?

Well, if I wasn't married, I'd definitely consider it. Wife already has an issue with me being 2 hours away (she works in Atlanta). That being said, it seems like an excellent opportunity if rural medicine is what you want to focus on. You can pair that up with The Physicians for Rural Areas Assistance Contract (repays $25k in loans / year working in county in GA with <35K people - repays up to $100k).

I'm actually looking to do the pre matriculation program, I was wondering if anyone else got an invite for that and planned on going. Right now I definitely want to do it as I've been working since I graduated last May and I really want to get back into student mode before class starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I created a separate thread so that those students who were accepted can discuss future plans and questions. I thought this would be kinder to those students still waiting on the wait-list. The last thing they want to see every time they log in is a reminder.

That's kind of you. I came here to say- accepted OOS!

Who is considering the new Certificate of Rural Community Heath Program? What do you all know about it?

Not much. I checked "unsure" and asked for more info. Another school I visited had a Public Health Certificate Program- 18 units to be completed during the summer between years 1 and 2, with a year long internship at some point. So maybe that's the standard for a "certificate" degree. It could be interesting and doable.

On an unrelated note, what kind of culture shock can I expect in Georgia? (Born and raised in southern CA). Everyone seemed really nice and frankly I didn't notice much of a difference from CA, but I was only there for two days.

That's kind of you. I came here to say- accepted OOS!

Not much. I checked "unsure" and asked for more info. Another school I visited had a Public Health Certificate Program- 18 units to be completed during the summer between years 1 and 2, with a year long internship at some point. So maybe that's the standard for a "certificate" degree. It could be interesting and doable.

On an unrelated note, what kind of culture shock can I expect in Georgia? (Born and raised in southern CA). Everyone seemed really nice and frankly I didn't notice much of a difference from CA, but I was only there for two days.

I doubt too much culture shock unless you're used to living in a big city. I definitely think southern hospitality is real here and everyone tends to be really friendly and social!
Are you going to be in Augusta or Athens? because that will make a difference too

Are you going to be in Augusta or Athens? because that will make a difference too

Not sure yet. I mailed my acceptance and deposit over the weekend (accepted 3/13). I've never lived in a big city, and I try to avoid LA. I liked what I saw of the pace and density around Augusta. I haven't seen Athens- it's a little cost-prohibitive to visit from CA. And I agree, everyone seemed really talkative when compared to Californians.

Having lived in California and Georgia, I can say that people will be more friendly and social here and while the culture is somewhat different, I doubt you will find it shocking.

Some considerations though:

1)Georgia has a winter. People who move down from the north or over from the west coast assume south = always warm. We're not southern Florida. I've made a similar mistake whenI was in Monterey, CA - I figured it would be similar to Southern California and I wouldn't need a jacket (found out I was wrong the first week I was there!).You'll need a jacket here, and some sweaters too!
2)Also if you have allergies, GA is about to go through what I call the green month, basically a month where everything is covered in a yellow-green layer of pollen. I noticed a thin layer on my car yesterday signaling its arrival.
3)You will find people who will embody stereotypes of the south, but not everyone here is the same. Not everyone who lives here or grows up here has a southern accent.
4)Fort Gordon is located in the Augusta area. This means people from all over the country who work on the base live in the area. This isn't just soldiers, but also retired veterans, government civilians, and contractors. Fort Gordon is home to the Signal Corps (every vehicle needs a radio and someone has to secure the communications) and a major NSA facility (Signals Intelligence).
5)Augusta has a lot of things to offer, and what it doesn't have can be had with a reasonable drive. Atlanta is 2 hours west on I-20. Savannah is about 2.5hours SE.

1) Can confirm, I was hailed on after my interview. I was freezing. But hey seasons are fun right?
2) I'll manage. It can't be too much worse than the Santa Ana winds.
3) In my small sample size, very few people met the expected stereotypes. However I was asked pretty quickly how I liked living in such a liberal state- I didn't really have an answer. I've only ever lived in CA, so I can't really compare it to anything else.
4) I was told Augusta was more diverse than expected because so many people from around the country come for the schools, the base, or work. Should be an interesting experience.
5) I doubt I'll be bored in Augusta. I mean I wouldn't have time to exhaust the city's opportunities while in med school, right? Plus there's plenty of good weekend trips to be had.

Edit- I really did like Augusta- I'm not worried about finding things to do. Plus I'm of the opinion that fewer distractions during med school is better.

Is anyone familiar with establishing GA residency?

Last edited:
Is anyone familiar with establishing GA residency?

I've reestablished residency in GA before, start here: http://georgia.gov/popular-topic/moving-georgia

When I moved back, I was sort of late in registering my car (it was still registered in another state though), and the state caught up to me and charged me the ad valorem I had owed since I moved back (luckily it was only a few months). The cool thing now is that when you buy a new car, you pay the tax up front, and you don't need to pay ad valorem each year. However, if you didn't pay that up front tax, you'll still owe them ad valorem.

I managed to do the registration and license in about 2 hours. (Make sure to do emissions testing!) They gave me a temporary license (still counts as legal photo ID) and I got the real one in the mail in about 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Is there a facebook group for next year's entering class? I've just gotten accepted and am so excited! But don't know anyone else who's been accepted

Does anyone know if MCG publishes their match list? I know you can pick up a print out from the admissions office, but I am not sure if they have the latest results.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone still waiting on a campus assignment? I'd like to be able to start looking for roommates/places to live, but I'm not sure if I'll even be in Augusta or not!

Anyone still waiting on a campus assignment? I'd like to be able to start looking for roommates/places to live, but I'm not sure if I'll even be in Augusta or not!

Do you not see it when you look at your secondary app? It displays under the "campus" tab.

For many of us who were just accepted, it only displays our preferred campus, not our campus assignment. I think they'll probably provide us with that information within the next month or two. I don't think there is much rush to find roommates, as many people may choose to join MCG off the waitlist, or may leave MCG for another program off of a waitlist, thus I'm planning on waiting until May before looking personally...

When I asked at the second look day last week, they told me this: If you've accepted now and have asked for Augusta, you'll be at Augusta. If you wanted Athens, there's a good chance you'll get it. Its the people who get offers later on that may not get the assignment they want. If you are accepted off the wait list later on, and want Augusta, you'll probably be in Augusta.

edit: I should also note that like DarthVader93, it only shows the campus preference I selected, not the one I'm assigned to under the campus tab for me. Also I know I'm not going to be the oldest in the class, but still, you kids with birth years in the 90s are going to keep making me feel old.

Does anyone know when classes start for fall 2015? I know last year they started the first Wednesday of August, but I can't find a calendar for this coming fall.

Any of you know if August has housings that are pet friendly? Currently own a dog, but not sure if I should leave him with my girlfriend or bring him with me to school.

Any of you know if August has housings that are pet friendly? Currently own a dog, but not sure if I should leave him with my girlfriend or bring him with me to school.

I'm in the same situation and checked a while ago. There are a lot of options, but you have to pay a pet deposit. Also, certain apartments have weight/breed restrictions.

I'm in the same situation and checked a while ago. There are a lot of options, but you have to pay a pet deposit. Also, certain apartments have weight/breed restrictions.

Unfortunately my dog is a misunderstood breed, so its even more troublesome. Apartment is not an option. :'(

Unfortunately my dog is a misunderstood breed, so its even more troublesome. Apartment is not an option. :'(

I'm personally doing a townhouse since I don't want to worry about coming back to let my dog out on busy days. I saw a good number of them when I searched, some had small fenced in yards. They are a bit more expensive though.

And I don't remember many townhouses have the same breed restrictions...just weight.

@Aquaberry Dolphin
Just wondering, what are the benefits of living in a townhouse?/ what made you consider a townhouse over simply an apartment.

@Aquaberry Dolphin
Just wondering, what are the benefits of living in a townhouse?/ what made you consider a townhouse over simply an apartment.

Basically because I have a dog. Some townhouses have a small backyard, so when I have to spend extended periods away from home, I can just leave him out there and not worry about letting him go to the bathroom.

I saw some places that were pet friendly when looking around but they didn't give a breed/weight limit which I expect they probably have. I have a dog (Irish wolfhound mix @ ~70lbs) but my wife will be looking after him during the weekdays in Atlanta. I'm getting a pet friendly place just so some of the weekends she can come to augusta and bring the dog.

What sort of laptop are you all thinking of getting for next year? I'm thinking of getting a macbook pro, but I've never had a mac before.

^I was wondering that myself. I currently have a MacBook Pro (not retina) from 2011. I was debating whether to replace it or not. If I upgrade the RAM (from 4GB to 8GB= $80) then the oldest part in my laptop will be my processor which may or may not last to graduation (total of 8 years).

However, I was also considering upgrading to a 2015 MacBook Air (either 11inch or 13inch) or 13inch MacBook Pro retina. I like the portability of the Airs, but I think I read that MCG's tests are conducted through our computers and that you need an ethernet cord to take the tests. I am not sure as I haven't confirmed with an upperclassman but the Airs do not have an ethernet connector and will require an adapter.

Additionally, I anticipate using a dual monitor set up at my apartment as I enjoyed them in my undergrad studies. I think a Retina macBook pro will be better suited for this. But either way, I know I will be sticking with a mac. They are extremely reliable and have a short learning curve.

I am trying to decide what laptop to get as well. I have had great experiences with macs (had my MacBook Pro for a little over 5 years now) and will most likely get a MacBook Pro with retina. Not sure which specs are best suited to the needs of a med student though, so I will probably talk to some current students before making my final decision.

I am trying to decide what laptop to get as well. I have had great experiences with macs (had my MacBook Pro for a little over 5 years now) and will most likely get a MacBook Pro with retina. Not sure which specs are best suited to the needs of a med student though, so I will probably talk to some current students before making my final decision.

If you do end up talking to some current students, would you mind asking about needing an ethernet port for a "cat 5/6 cable" for examinations? I unfortunately do not know any current students.

On an unrelated note, has anyone received their financial aid packages yet? I submitted my FAFSA in mid March

When I talked to the head of those M2 advisors during my initial interview (I forget his name, but he was the South Asian looking Dutch/Caribbean former soccer play guy), I asked what sort of campus MCG was in regards to computing. He said he regretted going android/pc initially since everyone was on mac and that a lot of what was used was on OSX or iOS.

I've been using macs for the last 10 years, and honestly I love them. They'll last a long while and support for them is great if you need it. I bought my last one (which was a current model at the time) on the online refurb store and saved a few $$$. They carry the same warranty and are held to higher inspection standards than "new ones".

Student/veteran/etc. discounts are only 10%, but if you have a friend who works at the store you can save even more buying it through them.
-----
@daffy**** I didn't get my packet yet and I finished in late Febuary.
-----
Another question: Do they even bother marking your transcripts as received? I know they were delivered over a month ago, I get there's a lot to do, but they didn't mark them as such for me.

If you do end up talking to some current students, would you mind asking about needing an ethernet port for a "cat 5/6 cable" for examinations? I unfortunately do not know any current students.

Of course! I am assuming that is a cable that can't be used with a MacBook Air?

In regards to transcripts, mine were marked as received in early April but have not been marked as reviewed yet.

My transcripts were received in Feb and March and still show that they are "received" instead of "F" online. I am guessing they are waiting to see who actually commits to MCG after a certain date before verifying all transcripts. I believe there is a date where every accepted student can only commit to one institution but I am not sure.

@OffPudding , Yes, I believe it is just a regular old ethernet cable. But I read somewhere in the MCG student book that all tests will be taken on a computer and that every student must bring an ethernet/cat5/6 cable to testing. MacBook Airs don't have a ethernet port, so a dongle will be necessary if they do require such a cable.

The good news is that you can get a usb ethernet adapter for $10 on amazon. It doesn't actually have to be the one that apple makes for it to work.

You and I might have something in common. While my dog isn't misunderstood, I have another pet that IS misunderstood. So I have to find a place that will be ok with a 40 lb corgi and a snake potentially along with "snake food."

If any of the people who are looking at townhouses with a backyard are ok with the previously mentioned pets, PM me. I'm hoping to pay no more than $500-$600 (my share anyway) for rent/utilities. Since someone posted a 2 bed/2 bath townhouse for $800 total, it might be possible to do. I would prefer w/d in unit and my own bathroom if possible. I filled out the roommate spreadsheet thing on Facebook.

(As an FYI: snake food can sleep in the garage or outside if needed, snake though is inside)

I'm actually looking to do the pre matriculation program, I was wondering if anyone else got an invite for that and planned on going. Right now I definitely want to do it as I've been working since I graduated last May and I really want to get back into student mode before class starts.

I didn't. I kinda wish I had. I haven't sat in a proper classroom in a few years. The last time I actually studied for something was probably over 10 years ago at least.

Apparently I'm not getting my campus assignment until June (I put "no preference", thinking that would earn me a faster decision). Any advice on housing? Will I have trouble finding an apartment that late?

Apparently I'm not getting my campus assignment until June (I put "no preference", thinking that would earn me a faster decision). Any advice on housing? Will I have trouble finding an apartment that late?

If you put no preference, you'll most likely (90% if not more) be in Augusta since its the bigger class

That's what I figured, but that 10% is enough to keep me from signing a lease.

I would say it is highly unlikely at this point that you will be placed in Athens, if you put no preference. Less than 10%.

Have any of the Harrison Scholars received additional information on the program since getting their initial notification? I'm starting to think that I hallucinated the phone call from Dean Duncan...

Has anyone received their financial aid package online? I need a financial aid award letter in order to sign my lease for the fall...

Has anyone received their financial aid package online? I need a financial aid award letter in order to sign my lease for the fall...
I called yesterday. I was told that we wouldn't hear until after June 1st......