2020-2021 Medical College of Georgia at Augusta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
when will they release campus assignments.. that’s what I am wondering 🧐

I don't have an exact date, but I believe their information stated sometime in March

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if MCG gives out any merit scholarships or only financial aid?

Members don't see this ad :)
current students, can you share about student health insurance offered by MCG?
also, how's the neighborhood in downtown augusta? I'm thinking about buying a house and am wondering if it'll be safe to live by myself
I'm not a current student - I got accepted this cycle -- but the area directly around the school is not the best. I have lots of family in Augusta (in Columbia County) and I personally would not want to make an investment in a house in the area directly surrounding the school. It's not the safest. If you want a more objective opinion you can also look at neighborhood scout Augusta, GA Crime Rates and Statistics - NeighborhoodScout. If you zoom in, the streets that the school is on are the darkest color (least safe).

Reactions: 1 user
I'm looking at the Foundations of Medicine Module that is listed in the Fall Year 1 Pre-clerkship Schematic on the MCG website. Can any current students talk about what's included in that course? My peers who are currently in medical school have more traditional courses like Anatomy, Biochem, etc broken down because they are in traditional 4 year programs, so I was unclear on what the MCG course contained. THank you!

I'm looking at the Foundations of Medicine Module that is listed in the Fall Year 1 Pre-clerkship Schematic on the MCG website. Can any current students talk about what's included in that course? My peers who are currently in medical school have more traditional courses like Anatomy, Biochem, etc broken down because they are in traditional 4 year programs, so I was unclear on what the MCG course contained. THank you!
Cell bio, biochem, microbio, buncha things - anatomy starts after this first unit

Once accepted, we just have to fill out and upload the acceptance form within 2 weeks right?

Once accepted, we just have to fill out and upload the acceptance form within 2 weeks right?

Yes! Make sure you fill out the acceptance form and technical standards form (both are within the PDF they attach) and upload them accordingly to the portal

Well, it's my last semester in college, so idk if I should send one now or wait till I graduate and send one then.

I would wait until you have your final transcript with your spring grades since MCG will want to see your spring grades as part of your final official transcript

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it's my last semester in college, so idk if I should send one now or wait till I graduate and send one then.
When I emailed they said to wait :) Save your money and send it after you finish in may!

When I emailed they said to wait :) Save your money and send it after you finish in may!
Yeah, that makes sense! Did you ask if it can be an electronic transcript or does it have to be physical?

where do most students live
Beacon Station is right across from the school, Canalside is across from the hospital (there have been some cars broken into recently), Ironwood in North Augusta, Residence at Riverwatch, the Glen, 1035, and some brand new apartments are the Highland and Argento. Those are all probably $1200-1600 for a two bedroom apartment. Houses are usually cheaper and people rent in Summerville, North Augusta, or near I-20 up Washington Rd.

if a one way commute is 20 min, (which probably means like 25 considering walking from the parking lot, etc) would that become burdensome with the workload and all?

if a one way commute is 20 min, (which probably means like 25 considering walking from the parking lot, etc) would that become burdensome with the workload and all?
No, 20 minutes is not a big deal! I live ~15 minutes away, but its probably closer to +10 minutes to find parking depending on the time of day :)

Does MCG allow you to send in another letter of recommendation at this point in the cycle

No, 20 minutes is not a big deal! I live ~15 minutes away, but its probably closer to +10 minutes to find parking depending on the time of day :)
trying to debate if I should go 20 min out to grovetown or live near the school on 11th street (which i'm not sure how safe it is for a female to live on own)

Mine is a 15 min drive, not bad at all! I have one friend who drives from Grovetown, but I don’t know many who live that far away.

message me if you want more ideas on good spots to live!

Mine is a 15 min drive, not bad at all! I have one friend who drives from Grovetown, but I don’t know many who live that far away.

message me if you want more ideas on good spots to live!
I will most likely be driving from Evans and it ends up being about 25 minutes. I feel like it should be fine though!

where do students usually park to get to class if they dont live walking distance?
There’s a deck right next to the medical school that fills up around 7:30/7:45am, and TONS of parking lots across the street from the school that always have open spots, about a 5-10min walk. It’s really not bad at all as long as you give yourself enough time. The people who complain are those who show up 5 min before class and have no time to get to the building. The issue is never ever being able to find a spot, it’s being able to find a spot AND walk to where you need to be with enough time.

this might be a silly question but if we end up living north of the river in SC, how does that work with georgia residency?

this might be a silly question but if we end up living north of the river in SC, how does that work with georgia residency?
I don’t know how that works with GA residency/state tuition, but a TON of students live in SC because it’s literally a 5 min drive to school. If you contact MCG they should be able to explain how all that works, maybe the financial aid department.

Anyone know when scholarships are typically released?

Anyone have any idea how long the days are for the pre matriculation program?

Do you know if Harrison Scholarships came out already?

Yes, my friend was notified of a Harrison scholarship yesterday. Not sure if they send them all out on the same day though!

And if the awardees matriculate elsewhere, then they will re-offer the scholarship to other students. So I wouldn't assume if you didn't receive a notification yesterday that you won't get one!

Is/was there a separate application to fill out aside from FAFSA in order to be considered for financial aid or scholarships?

Yes, my friend was notified of a Harrison scholarship yesterday. Not sure if they send them all out on the same day though!

And if the awardees matriculate elsewhere, then they will re-offer the scholarship to other students. So I wouldn't assume if you didn't receive a notification yesterday that you won't get one!
just wondering what was the application process like for this scholarship?

anyone else not able to log into their augusta email? mine gives me the message "your account has been locked. contact your support person to unlock it"

anyone else not able to log into their augusta email? mine gives me the message "your account has been locked. contact your support person to unlock it"

Is this the first time you tried to log into it? I had that same error message and tried to login the next day and it worked.

Hey guys! Has anyone started taking out loans yet, or are you waiting for the finaid letter?

During the revisit day today, they shared that the committee would be meeting this upcoming week and making the campus assignments shortly after
I got my campus assignment today!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I am reapplicant for next cycle. Is there any advantage to applying early decision in terms of chances of getting in?