Minnesota vs. Ohio State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shellzie2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I already asked this question when I was still considering Loyola, but now that I've narrowed it down to 2 schools and gotten some new information, I wanted to see if anyone had any further thoughts.

I found out that I can't get in-state tuition after the first year at Ohio State since I am planning to borrow the money from family instead of taking out federal loans, which would make it significantly more expensive than Minnesota. I ran through the numbers and the interest rates on federal student loans would make it more expensive for me to establish residency using federal loans than to borrow the money from my parents. It would also mean I'd be stuck in Ohio for the summer between M1 and M2, which would prevent me from taking an international service trip/going home to see family that summer. So I would borrow the money from my parents either way. However, this would mean I would be about $100k more in debt by the end of medical school if I went to OSU than if I went to Minnesota. Not to mention the additional financial stress on my parents in the short term.

Minnesota also wins in terms of location since I would like to do my residency in Minnesota and want to ultimately end up there. I would also really like to be closer to family during medical school for the support system and lower travel costs. I've been about 8 hours away from home during undergrad and it has been tough, especially given some of the family stuff that has happened in the past 4 years. I also think Minneapolis has a slight edge over Columbus (although I have heard good things about Cbus as well). I also have a friend from high school who goes to the U of M for undergrad that I could live with, eliminating the random roommate search.

Ohio State seems to have a slightly better reputation/ranking/hospital system as well as a better football team :), but I don't know if this difference is worth 100k and being 14ish hours from home for 4 years. And I don't know if it matters if I want to go back to MN for residency.

Also, my boyfriend of 2 1/2 years wants to go to Ohio State for graduate school (he has also been accepted to Minnesota, but has some good reasons to choose Ohio State) and I would really like to end up in the same place as him next year.

I like both schools and think I could be generally happy at either, but it would be really difficult for me to be apart from family if I went to OSU and really tough for me to be apart from my bf if I went to the U of M and he went to Ohio State. I know no one can make the decision for me, but it'd be great to get some non-biased advice (my family says MN, my bf says OSU...).

So, if you were me, what would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

So I already asked this question when I was still considering Loyola, but now that I've narrowed it down to 2 schools and gotten some new information, I wanted to see if anyone had any further thoughts.

I found out that I can't get in-state tuition after the first year at Ohio State since I am planning to borrow the money from family instead of taking out federal loans, which would make it significantly more expensive than Minnesota. I ran through the numbers and the interest rates on federal student loans would make it more expensive for me to establish residency using federal loans than to borrow the money from my parents. It would also mean I'd be stuck in Ohio for the summer between M1 and M2, which would prevent me from taking an international service trip/going home to see family that summer. So I would borrow the money from my parents either way. However, this would mean I would be about $100k more in debt by the end of medical school if I went to OSU than if I went to Minnesota. Not to mention the additional financial stress on my parents in the short term.

Minnesota also wins in terms of location since I would like to do my residency in Minnesota and want to ultimately end up there. I would also really like to be closer to family during medical school for the support system and lower travel costs. I've been about 8 hours away from home during undergrad and it has been tough, especially given some of the family stuff that has happened in the past 4 years. I also think Minneapolis has a slight edge over Columbus (although I have heard good things about Cbus as well). I also have a friend from high school who goes to the U of M for undergrad that I could live with, eliminating the random roommate search.

Ohio State seems to have a slightly better reputation/ranking/hospital system as well as a better football team :), but I don't know if this difference is worth 100k and being 14ish hours from home for 4 years. And I don't know if it matters if I want to go back to MN for residency.

Also, my boyfriend of 2 1/2 years wants to go to Ohio State for graduate school (he has also been accepted to Minnesota, but has some good reasons to choose Ohio State) and I would really like to end up in the same place as him next year.

I like both schools and think I could be generally happy at either, but it would be really difficult for me to be apart from family if I went to OSU and really tough for me to be apart from my bf if I went to the U of M and he went to Ohio State. I know no one can make the decision for me, but it'd be great to get some non-biased advice (my family says MN, my bf says OSU...).

Ohio state! However, here's my non-biased opinion, you would want to have the support of your boyfriend through that four years, I do not know much about minnesota, but OSU is on the rise and could be a very very good school in the near future, and you wouldn't want to miss out on that! and if you are going home for residency, then its always good to get some new experience.

Go to Minnesota. I work with enough MDs who are still paying off their debt into their 50s and have said to go to the least expensive school possible. Ohio State is great, but not worth the price difference. You can do just as well at Minnesota.

Also it'd be great to have your boyfriend's support, but your family will be there for your forever. Their support is priceless, and who knows what can happen with your relationship with your boyfriend once you get in the trenches of medical school. To choose a school based on a relationship and not have it work out would be a regret...but of course its up to you to weigh all the other factors. Good luck!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am on the same boat as you in terms of choosing between Minnesota and Ohio state. After getting my award letter, it looks like OSU is gonna be a lot more expensive than Minnesota (at least for the first year). Since Ohio State is only a bit higher ranked that Minnesota i don't know if the extra cost is worth it.

Let's be honest, Minnesota and Ohio State are really similar in terms of academics, prestige, etc. It really comes down to your personal life and finances. Do you think you and your bf are so serious that you may be on the road to getting married? I can tell you from personal experience that if you choose to go to grad school more than a few hours away from a significant other, chances are your relationship won't last that kind of long distance due to the stress and time commitments required in medical/graduate school. Will you have time to travel multiple times in the academic year to see your bf or make time for when he visits you? I would evaluate this and talk it out with your bf. You're at the stage in your life where you can decide to be with someone and should be able to include them in your life plan. Yes, debt is less than ideal, but don't couples make sacrifices for love all the time? I know I would...

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about the extra cost, Vette. I think when all is said and done, the two schools are pretty comparable in terms of quality, with only a slight edge going to OSU.

For me it's pretty much coming down to a personal decision between being near my boyfriend or my family, which is not an easy one to make...

I've talked about this a lot with my boyfriend and I do think that we would probably end up getting married if we end up at the same school. But of course, there's always a chance that our relationship wouldn't make it through the transition to med/grad school and I'd end up alone 14 hours away from home. I've been away from home for the past 4 years and I've loved undergrad, but I miss Minnesota and being so close to all my relatives (my mom comes from a really big, close-knit family). My aunt recently passed away and I was the only one not at the hospital when it happened. And it's depressing to miss out on so many family events, especially when I do go home and my youngest cousins don't even recognize me if I'm not in a picture. I know my family will always be there for me and I would have a fantastic support system no matter what if I went to Minnesota. But trying to do long-distance with my boyfriend could very easily cause us to break up.

:confused:

I can't offer any concrete advice on the 2 schools, since I didn't apply to them. I only have a vague notion that they are roughly equivalent.

However, everything you have described makes an excellent case for staying in MN. It seems like the cold, reasonable and detached decision to make... Less debt, closer to a reliable support network, in the state that you want to practice after your training.

The only argument you make for OSU is that your bf might end up there, but as pointed out earlier, and considering the undeniable break-up trend that accompanies medical school, I'd say that would be ill-advised. It could happen, but do realize that your are asking for the unlikely (maintaining a happy relationship throughout med school).

Looking at it logically, it seems that MN is your best option.

BTW, why not try to expose this analysis to your bf (minus the unlikelihood of you 2 staying together if you go to different places part) and try to persuade him to go to MN with you? That's a way in which you can have your cake and eat it too!

Hahaha. Believe me, I'm trying... But he has some legitimate reasons to go to OSU over MN. I guess I'll know for sure where he'll be going this Thursday. :xf:

Well, good luck. It does sound like a tough decision to follow through with, either way.

You should probably be having this convo more with your bf than with forum peeps. Two things, though. First, Minnesota is totally equivalent to Ohio State in terms of quality as a medical school. Don't let anyone (US News) tell you otherwise. You will have the same options when you get out of residency. Second, it sounds like you have some legitimate reasons to go to Minnesota. I find it somewhat odd that your bf has totally barred making a sacrifice for you to go to MN and expects you to be the one to take the hit. An outsider's perspective with little info, maybe, but still a little odd.

Haha, its not that my bf is being unreasonable. I've discussed this to death with him and he's sort of in a situation parallel to my own. He has some good reasons to go to OSU, but is still considering going to Minnesota. If he does go with OSU, then I'm stuck with a tough decision. I'm just trying to get some advice from an outside perspective since everyone I know seems to have some sort of bias and my emotions may be clouding my decision one way or the other.

What if you take out loans for the first year to establish residency and then borrow money from your parents for years 2-4?

congrats on your acceptances! i would choose ohio state. their program is much better. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.