NYU vs Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYU or Einstein?

• NYU

Votes: 43 78.2%
  • Einstein

Votes: 12 21.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sachan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm deciding between NYU and Einstein and was hoping for some of your opinions! I'm leaning towards NYU but all thoughts are welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

I actually have yet to hear about the fin aid from both of these schools. Money is an issue but I hear that NYU gives out predominantly loans and I won't hear back from Einstein about the scholarship they give out til June (which is too late). So I guess I'm asking about general happiness of students and curriculum, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU has very interesting, creative students, many from NYU. Also, you get to do your clinical's in Bellevue, which is an amazing place. Einstein used to have the option to do it in St Vincents (I think), but the place went Chapter 11, but you should still get a diverse population in the bronx, as well...

when i talked to nyu, they all said things like 'we get bellevue....' and 'all our classes are p/f.... which is nice...'

not sure about classes @ einstein.

that said, i'd go to NYU, despite the costs...

These schools are really different, I would think your professional and personal interests and preferences would make the decision obvious.

- location/communities are very different -- do you want busy midtown/east-side, or quieter, diverse Bx? personally, the area around nyu is one of my least favorite neighborhoods of nyc, although except for the necessity of slow crosstown buses or a long walk from the L, is close to some nicer neighborhoods.
- patient populations and types of hospitals vary a lot (though nyu does have bellevue, so you have both worlds of nyc there). Don't underestimate Montefiore, it is very well respected.
- philosophies -- Einstein is known for their social medicine dept. nyu probably has fewer revolutionaries on faculty. ;) j/k. But really, that along with Bx diversity and montefiore is why i applied there!
-students -- i'd venture to guess that students at einstein are a little more laid back

people might disagree with the specifics above, these are just my general impressions of the schools from my own bit of investigation during applications, and having lived in nyc when i had professional contact with various medical centers and schools... Your best bet would be to get directly in touch with students at each school and ask them specific questions that you think are important to you.

either way, great school!

I would ask them if you can wait for financial info before you decide. June is only a few weeks away and it can completely alter your decision-making. Not that they will say yes, but doesn't hurt.

I interviewed at both, was accepted at both, and will attend NYU.

I preferred the shortened preclinical at NYU, plus much preferred the clinical rotation sites, the majority within walking distance of the NYU dorm apt.

Einstein rotations get spread out pretty far and wide. I heard lots of griping about getting to those sites, like ones on Long Island, trouble with the van service, etc.

Finally, I much prefer the location of NYU. The Bronx is isolated from Manhattan and just walking around the surrounding AECOM neighborhood for one afternoon I could not see enough places to eat much less do anything fun within safe walking distance. YMMV...but I can't see being out on the town in the Bronx after dark - looks bad enough in the daytime.

Last edited:
Barring any financial differences I can't think of one good reason why someone would pick Einstein over NYU, unless you are from the Bronx and love it.

Barring any financial differences I can't think of one good reason why someone would pick Einstein over NYU, unless you are from the Bronx and love it.

I agree, and it would have to be a BIG difference in $ to persuade me to pick Einstein.

Thank you so much for all of your comments! Is Einstein and NYU similar in pricing? Do you know if NYU still gives out scholarships around this time?

Thank you so much for all of your comments! Is Einstein and NYU similar in pricing? Do you know if NYU still gives out scholarships around this time?

I believe NYU is ~5k more expensive per year. A significant amount but not enough to push me to Einstein.

I believe NYU is ~5k more expensive per year. A significant amount but not enough to push me to Einstein.

They give need based grants, but only to those who filed FAFSA prior to March 1...don't expect them to give any merit money at this point (I don't think they give any merit money, but I could be wrong).

I interviewed at both, was accepted at both, and will attend NYU.

I preferred the shortened preclinical at NYU, plus much preferred the clinical rotation sites, the majority within walking distance of the NYU dorm apt.

Einstein rotations get spread out pretty far and wide. I heard lots of griping about getting to those sites, like ones on Long Island, trouble with the van service, etc.

Finally, I much prefer the location of NYU. The Bronx is isolated from Manhattan and just walking around the surrounding AECOM neighborhood for one afternoon I could not see enough places to eat much less do anything fun within safe walking distance. YMMV...but I can't see being out on the town in the Bronx after dark - looks bad enough in the daytime.

I disagree, you can hop on the subway (4,5,6,2, etc.) or on the metro north and find yourself in Manhattan within a half hr.

Members don't see this ad :)
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x3W6hutEj8[/YOUTUBE]

I disagree, you can hop on the subway (4,5,6,2, etc.) or on the metro north and find yourself in Manhattan within a half hr.

It takes longer than that and there is no subway in the near proximity to Einstein.

It takes longer than that and there is no subway in the near proximity to Einstein.

I was thinking of Montefiore, not the medical college and in that case, it would take a bit longer to get to mid-town. However, I still wouldn't consider the Bronx "isolated" from Manhattan. Millions of people commute from westchester, connecticut, and the other boroughs to Manhattan each day within reasonable amounts of time.

I was thinking of Montefiore, not the medical college and in that case, it would take a bit longer to get to mid-town. However, I still wouldn't consider the Bronx "isolated" from Manhattan. Millions of people commute from westchester, connecticut, and the other boroughs to Manhattan each day within reasonable amounts of time.

What commuters do, and what med students are able to do for limited recreation time, or during the dinner hour, are unrelated. Going into Manhattan from AECOM is a pain in the butt undertaking.

Why not live in Manhattan - in this case at NYU - and have all of it at your doorstep? That is the point of the comments I made about isolation at AECOM - can't get to, say, Chinatown for dim sum in under 1.5 hours each way from da Bronx...and while the immediate neighborhood around AECOM is just OK, the parts of the Bronx you have to travel through to get to Manhattan are awful...

What commuters do, and what med students are able to do for limited recreation time, or during the dinner hour, are unrelated. Going into Manhattan from AECOM is a pain in the butt undertaking.

Why not live in Manhattan - in this case at NYU - and have all of it at your doorstep? That is the point of the comments I made about isolation at AECOM - can't get to, say, Chinatown for dim sum in under 1.5 hours each way from da Bronx...and while the immediate neighborhood around AECOM is just OK, the parts of the Bronx you have to travel through to get to Manhattan are awful...

Fair enough.

Interviewed and accepted at both, but will be attending Pitt

Cost: About the same, Einstein probably has cheaper housing and cost of living but you're more likely to need a car, so it probably balances out.

Curriculum: Both integrated, but NYU is in transition to a brand new curriculum, meaning that 1, its reflective of current trends and 2, you're the guinea pig. I'd favor Einstein as I wouldn't want to be the first for a new curriculum as there are always kinks and inefficiencies to work out.

Students: I got a more laid back feel from students at einstein, but it's probably a wash.

Clinicals: Montefiore vs. Bellevue. Bellevue is probably the better hospital, but montefiore is probably better for training. It's less well staffed and serves a less demanding patient population, meaning you get to do more and watch less. Bellevue is more of a referral center though, so you'll see more rare/advanced cases. I'd go with Montefiore for the increased hands on exposure, but they're both great, just different.

Prestige: NYU slightly edges Einstein. Einstein used to be pretty much equal to NYU but has slid in the rankings a bit. Hard to say if thats permanent or temporary.

I'd choose NYU based purely on location, otherwise the two are roughly equal in my mind.

They give need based grants, but only to those who filed FAFSA prior to March 1...don't expect them to give any merit money at this point (I don't think they give any merit money, but I could be wrong).
So since I'm applying for finaid at NYU now they don't give out need based grants? Isn't that unfair? I am pretty sure someone got an NYU scholarship when they got off the wait list last year...

The only thing AECOM has over NYU is housing, at least for MS1 and 2.

I know the city well and I'm excited about NYU. I don't think I have to tell you where you should be headed.

So since I'm applying for finaid at NYU now they don't give out need based grants? Isn't that unfair? I am pretty sure someone got an NYU scholarship when they got off the wait list last year...

The way it was explained to me is if you don't make the 3/1 deadline, you are out of the money as far as need based grants go. I assume that includes people accepted from the waitlist, too. You should call and ask - it may save you some heartache if not some time...

And as I said I don't think they give merit money, but I could be wrong about that. I sure as hell didn't get any...and I don't recall it being listed on the finaid info they gave us as even being a possibility.

Last edited:
Both are great schools that will give you a great education. Things you might want to take into consideration: if you get distracted easily by the city then maybe Einstein is better, if there is a particular sort of research you want to do that is better at one school over the other, and if there is an aspect of the curriculum that appeals to you at one school over the other.

Congrats, you can't go wrong either way.

Thanks everyone! Wow, SDN really does rock. I just called NYU: they don't give merit aid and they said that their need-based grants are almost all gone but I am technically still eligible for this miniscule amount of money. So I basically shouldn't be expecting much. flip26: did you ever get AECOM's finaid package--was it better than NYU's?

Thanks everyone! Wow, SDN really does rock. I just called NYU: they don't give merit aid and they said that their need-based grants are almost all gone but I am technically still eligible for this miniscule amount of money. So I basically shouldn't be expecting much. flip26: did you ever get AECOM's finaid package--was it better than NYU's?

No, I dropped Einstein a long time ago...had other acceptances in hand that I knew I preferred no matter what finaid Einstein might offer.

Thank you all so much for your help! I decided on NYU for multiple reasons--family, boyfriend who works in nyc, location, and a scholarship to boot! AECOM is also an amazing school and it was a very hard decision to make--I think I would have been very happy at either school. Hope my withdrawal helps someone on the waiting list :)

Status
Not open for further replies.