Official 2012-2013 Help Me Rank Megathread

Started by NoChanges
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, This isn't your typical high-caliber SDN ROL. But any feedback would be immensely helpful!

I would like to do hospital medicine or primary care. Unlikely to pursue fellowship, but not ruling that out. Looking to be in the NYC area. Willing to travel a bit further out (2 hours away or less...). Looking for friendly training environment with happy residents and supportive administration. I'm willing to work hard, but prefer to work at some place where I can balance family and work life.

1. NS-LIJ
2a/2b RWJ/Monte
3a/3b NJMS/Stony Brook
Downstate
Temple
St. Luke's-Roosevelt (NYC)
Boston University
Beth Israel (NYC)
Drexel
Lenox Hill


Can't really figure out what to do with my 2s and 3s! I'm also having a hard time deciding whether or not St. Luke's Roosevelt and Beth Israel should be move higher on my list.

Any inputs/insight greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
 
Hey all, This isn't your typical high-caliber SDN ROL. But any feedback would be immensely helpful!

I would like to do hospital medicine or primary care. Unlikely to pursue fellowship, but not ruling that out. Looking to be in the NYC area. Willing to travel a bit further out (2 hours away or less...). Looking for friendly training environment with happy residents and supportive administration. I'm willing to work hard, but prefer to work at some place where I can balance family and work life.

1. NS-LIJ
2a/2b RWJ/Monte
3a/3b NJMS/Stony Brook
Downstate
Temple
St. Luke's-Roosevelt (NYC)
Boston University
Beth Israel (NYC)
Drexel
Lenox Hill


Can't really figure out what to do with my 2s and 3s! I'm also having a hard time deciding whether or not St. Luke's Roosevelt and Beth Israel should be move higher on my list.

Any inputs/insight greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I think it depends on what is most important to you, is it location within the city or do you have family in Long Island? Depending on that it kind of changes the Rank List in my opinion also after interviewing at a number of these programs, if you arent interested in Fellowship I think you have the right idea. NIJ is very cush, the highest paid in the country and wont work you like a dog like Downstate for instance. Stony Brook i was extremely impressed with the PD mainly and the whole interview day, one of the best PD's I met on the trail; young enthuisatic listens to residents and willing to make changes.

For your 2's and 3's I could easily seeing putting Stony Brook at 2 if you live on Long Island, then RWJ then Mont then Newark in my opinion. I think RWJ could be swapped with Stony Brook but Mont and Newark are probably gonna work you harder and are more focused on Fellowship lists.

BI is a solid place as well, huge housestaff, good mix, but busy as well, also fellowship driven and not sure how much emphasis would be on hospitalist medicine, but if you want that "location" factor arguably the best place in the city (1st ave and 16th street) next to SLR which is solid as well. Good list overall; and since you said those things at the beginning might want to move Downstate lower? Definitely will be worked hard with a little less support and annoyances of having to cover Kings County (social workers, nurses, etc.) still a pretty solid match list internally and in the rest of NYC.
 
I'm interested in academic medicine and continuing research, and I'm thinking about subspecializing in either gen cards or endo. Two very disparate fields, but with cards in the mix, I think I have to take fellowship placement into consideration.

I learn best with a combination of hands-on training and book studying. When I visited UTSW, it seemed like the residents were VERY busy and many were taking Step 3 in year 2 due to lack of study time. I was also concerned about the boards pass rate. However, I really liked the faculty and residents, and no one can deny the strength in the clinical training there.

Any advice on how to rank the following? Location doesn't matter, but in the end, I'd like to wind up on the west coast after fellowship.

1. UTSW
2. University of Michigan
3. Vanderbilt
4. Emory
5. UCLA
6. Case Western University
7. UPMC

Thanks and good luck, everyone!

Nice choices. I would consider ranking Michigan and/or LA at the top of your list if you are certain about going to the West Coast for fellowship. UTSW is also very strong but UM and UCLA may give you a better shot going out West.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Based on no other preference in terms of location just purely based on reputation and placement for fellowship opportunities later (perhaps GI or H/O) how would you guys rank these Universities:

Univ of Tennessee (Memphis)
Univ of Mississippi
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Stony Brook
Detroit/Wayne State

Thanks for your input
 
Based on no other preference in terms of location just purely based on reputation and placement for fellowship opportunities later (perhaps GI or H/O) how would you guys rank these Universities:

Univ of Tennessee (Memphis)
Univ of Mississippi
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Stony Brook
Detroit/Wayne State

Thanks for your input

Wayne St should be at the top of that list and Stony Brook at least above the rest of the SUNY programs (although I think it should be top 3).
 
Any thoughts ONLY re: program's perceived consideration/concern with resident well-being (#1 on list = most concern, # 7 = least concern).

Colorado
Baylor (real)
UTSW
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
Emory
Dartmouth
 
Last edited:
*interviewed at UTSW, Vandy, and Emory

UTSW vs. Vandy (depends on which one you liked better, different style, both well respected)
---------
Colorado (lots of people rave about it) vs. Emory (good reputation especially Cards and ICU but probably not too much on resident well-being)
----------
Baylor (very busy program) and the rest (I imagine Darmouth/Wake Forest probably better resident well-being since they are in more relaxed suburban setting)
 
Any thoughts ONLY re: program's perceived consideration/concern with resident well-being (#1 on list = most concern, # 7 = least concern).

Colorado
Baylor (real)
UTSW
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
Emory
Dartmouth

Your question is a little confusing to me but if I understand correctly, you want to know which of these programs acknowledge that their residents are human beings and deserve to be treated with at least a modicum of basic human decency. Assuming that is a correct interpretation of your question:

1. Dartmouth
2. Wake
3. Colorado
7. The rest

WRT program rep, swap Baylor with Vandy and Wake with Dartmouth and you've got a good list.
 
Hey all, here's what I'm thinking for a ROL. Would appreciate some feedback on the reputation and fellowship opportunities (cards or GI) for these programs. Leaning more towards hospitalist but want to keep fellowship options open. Thanks

UF (Gainesville)
VCU
Kentucky
U Tennessee (Knoxville)
U Mississippi
UTMB
U South Carolina (Columbia)
Medical College of Georgia
U New Mexico
U Nebraska
Ochsner

Is this how you're planning to rank them?
 
Your question is a little confusing to me but if I understand correctly, you want to know which of these programs acknowledge that their residents are human beings and deserve to be treated with at least a modicum of basic human decency.
Yes. Thank you!

Baylor = Vanderbilt = utsw = emory in this regard?
 
Yes. Thank you!

Baylor = Vanderbilt = utsw = emory in this regard?

I thought Vanderbilt's and UTSW's aPDs were impressive in that they knew our names and research interests. Some can argue that it's pretty superficial and everyone can memorize a list of names + research interests. However, the fact they took the time to do so says a lot.

UTSW also took the time to pair us with interviewers with our research interests. Again, that takes time and means they want to make a good impression on you (and maybe reflects how much time they're willing to devote to residents in general).

I didn't interview at Baylor, but I felt very lost in the shuffle at Emory. Maybe that was just me. The Emory residents seemed very close-knit though.

I'd say in terms of resident well-being, Vanderbilt > UTSW > Emory.
 
Here's my rank list so far. I'm interested in Hem/Onc.

1. Baylor (Houston)
2. Maryland
3. Dartmouth
4. Case
5. Rochester
6. Brown
7. Boston
8. Iowa
9. USC
10. Wake

I know Baylor's my #1, but I'm having a hard time ranking the rest. Is Dartmouth's Hem/Onc match any good?
 
Hey everyone! Just wanted to get some help with my list. I will most likely be applying for hem/onc, and would love to get back to NYC for fellowship. Here is my very tentative list as of now:

1. Montefiore
2. Maryland
3. Thomas Jefferson
4. NSLIJ
5. Temple
6. Dartmouth
7. Rochester
8. Case Western
9. Ohio State
10. St. Luke's-Roosevelt
11. UVM
12. Penn State
13. UMass

So, given my ultimate goal, do you think Monte and NSLIJ should be at the top, or should there be a few above NSLIJ? I feel like there are some bigger names that would probably objectively beat out NSLIJ, but would I really be losing anything by going there over, say, UMD or Dartmouth? Basically, I like NSLIJ a lot, possibly more than Monte given their 6+2 system and better (?) ancillary staff, but I have also heard that NSLIJ is considered fairly "cush" and has a somewhat less impressive match list. If GutOnc or anyone else could give me any advise/input on any of this, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Basically, I like NSLIJ a lot, possibly more than Monte given their 6+2 system and better (?) ancillary staff, but I have also heard that NSLIJ is considered fairly "cush" and has a somewhat less impressive match list.

NSLIJ is 4+1 not 6+2 ...not that it makes too big of a difference
 
Hi all, first time poster and would greatly appreciate any help on these programs in terms of ranking. I'm interested in GI but that of course may change. Thanks so much in advance! 🙂

UF
USF
Wake
Dartmouth
U Wisc-Madison
Univ of Maryland
JHU Bayview
Univ of Southern California
Case
Ohio State
UMDNJ-RWJ
Rush
 
Hey everyone! Just wanted to get some help with my list. I will most likely be applying for hem/onc, and would love to get back to NYC for fellowship. Here is my very tentative list as of now:

1. Montefiore
2. Maryland
3. Thomas Jefferson
4. NSLIJ
5. Temple
6. Dartmouth
7. Rochester
8. Case Western
9. Ohio State
10. St. Luke's-Roosevelt
11. UVM
12. Penn State
13. UMass

So, given my ultimate goal, do you think Monte and NSLIJ should be at the top, or should there be a few above NSLIJ? I feel like there are some bigger names that would probably objectively beat out NSLIJ, but would I really be losing anything by going there over, say, UMD or Dartmouth? Basically, I like NSLIJ a lot, possibly more than Monte given their 6+2 system and better (?) ancillary staff, but I have also heard that NSLIJ is considered fairly "cush" and has a somewhat less impressive match list. If GutOnc or anyone else could give me any advise/input on any of this, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

There's nothing wrong with your list as you have it, especially given your goals. I'd personally put OSU and Dartmouth higher (definitely above Temple, probably above NSLIJ, possibly above Jeff), but if you don't, no harm no foul.

If you wind up at NSLIJ, do everything you can do to rotate/research with Kanti Rai. A LOR from him is solid gold for fellowship.
 
Hi all, first time poster and would greatly appreciate any help on these programs in terms of ranking. I'm interested in GI but that of course may change. Thanks so much in advance! 🙂

UF
USF
Wake
Dartmouth
U Wisc-Madison
Univ of Maryland
JHU Bayview
Univ of Southern California
Case
Ohio State
UMDNJ-RWJ
Rush

I'd personally do it like this:

U Wisc-Madison
Dartmouth/Ohio State (Pick based on location here)
JHU Bayview
Univ of Maryland
Univ of Southern California
UMDNJ-RWJ
UF
USF
Case
Wake
Rush

But then, if I never have to go to Florida again it will be too soon. From a program strength/reputation standpoint (nationally speaking), the FL programs should be much lower on your list.
 
I'd personally do it like this:

U Wisc-Madison
Dartmouth/Ohio State (Pick based on location here)
JHU Bayview
Univ of Maryland
Univ of Southern California
UMDNJ-RWJ
UF
USF
Case
Wake
Rush

But then, if I never have to go to Florida again it will be too soon. From a program strength/reputation standpoint (nationally speaking), the FL programs should be much lower on your list.

Case below USC, UMDNJ and UF?

Also, can someone give me feedback on my list?
 
I think Brown should be a bit higher on your list if you are pretty sure about hem/onc, they have a good medicine program with excellent hem/onc match.

FL medicine programs tend to have less national reputation, but great if you think you might settle down in the sunshine state.
 
Could use a little help with mine:

UVM
UCIrvine
Monte
UArizona
CCF

What order would you put these 5 in based on reputation and cards prospects? I know a lot of the pros and cons of each (especially after interviewing at them) and I cant make a decision.

Thanks for the help!
 
I'd personally do it like this:

U Wisc-Madison
Dartmouth/Ohio State (Pick based on location here)
JHU Bayview
Univ of Maryland
Univ of Southern California
UMDNJ-RWJ
UF
USF
Case
Wake
Rush

But then, if I never have to go to Florida again it will be too soon. From a program strength/reputation standpoint (nationally speaking), the FL programs should be much lower on your list.

thanks for the help, gutonc!
 
Hi folks. Interested in academic ID among multiple other specialities (heme-onc? GI?), with some East Coast bias. Looking for a place without a "factory" feel, but has academically-minded and inspired residents. Really torn among feel, location, and prestige of each place (& not fully wowed by any one). Thoughts?

1. Northwestern
2. Yale
3. Pitt
4. NYU
5. Michigan
6. Vandy
7. UCSD
8. UVA
9. Wisconsin
10. UNC

** PS: UChicago, Tufts, UMD are on deck and I would consider them all to some degree.
 
I'm assuming you think Michigan is more "factory/intensity" feel? Otherwise, I don't think New Haven beats Ann Arbor in terms of location. Vandy has pretty good resident satisfaction too. #5/6 may deserve few more points unless you have something against them. UChicago seems to have financial issues, but not sure if it impacts the program.


Hi folks. Interested in academic ID among multiple other specialities (heme-onc? GI?), with some East Coast bias. Looking for a place without a "factory" feel, but has academically-minded and inspired residents. Really torn among feel, location, and prestige of each place (& not fully wowed by any one). Thoughts?

1. Northwestern
2. Yale
3. Pitt
4. NYU
5. Michigan
6. Vandy
7. UCSD
8. UVA
9. Wisconsin
10. UNC

** PS: UChicago, Tufts, UMD are on deck and I would consider them all to some degree.
 
I'd personally do it like this:

U Wisc-Madison
Dartmouth/Ohio State (Pick based on location here)
JHU Bayview
Univ of Maryland
Univ of Southern California
UMDNJ-RWJ
UF
USF
Case
Wake
Rush

But then, if I never have to go to Florida again it will be too soon. From a program strength/reputation standpoint (nationally speaking), the FL programs should be much lower on your list.


This is pretty much how I'd rank them as well. Maybe consider moving up Case.
 
Thx for the feedback. Mich is awesome and I'm grateful for the option to go, but I spent 4 undergrad years in A2 and don't think I could take 3 more. New Haven is not great, but it's close to home. I think in general a college town feel is not right for me at this time.

I'm assuming you think Michigan is more "factory/intensity" feel? Otherwise, I don't think New Haven beats Ann Arbor in terms of location. Vandy has pretty good resident satisfaction too. #5/6 may deserve few more points unless you have something against them. UChicago seems to have financial issues, but not sure if it impacts the program.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi folks. Interested in academic ID among multiple other specialities (heme-onc? GI?), with some East Coast bias. Looking for a place without a "factory" feel, but has academically-minded and inspired residents. Really torn among feel, location, and prestige of each place (& not fully wowed by any one). Thoughts?

1. Northwestern
2. Yale
3. Pitt
4. NYU
5. Michigan
6. Vandy
7. UCSD
8. UVA
9. Wisconsin
10. UNC

** PS: UChicago, Tufts, UMD are on deck and I would consider them all to some degree.

I personally would move #5 and 6 up higher. Did Michigan and Vandy give you a factory feel? I didn't get that sense from my interview, but I liked how both programs were well respected on either coast. Michigan's fellowship match was also impressive - a resident I talked to said almost everyone got his/her first choice.
 
Interested in general medicine...
1. UCSF
2. University of Washington
3. Brigham
4. Hopkins
5. Columbia
6. Duke
7. Northwestern
8. MGH
9. UChicago
10. UCLA
11. Vandy
12. Stanford
13. WashU
Anyone else interested in GM have thoughts?
 
There's nothing wrong with your list as you have it, especially given your goals. I'd personally put OSU and Dartmouth higher (definitely above Temple, probably above NSLIJ, possibly above Jeff), but if you don't, no harm no foul.

If you wind up at NSLIJ, do everything you can do to rotate/research with Kanti Rai. A LOR from him is solid gold for fellowship.

Thanks a lot, Gutonc
 
Interested in general medicine...
1. UCSF
2. University of Washington
3. Brigham
4. Hopkins
5. Columbia
6. Duke
7. Northwestern
8. MGH
9. UChicago
10. UCLA
11. Vandy
12. Stanford
13. WashU
Anyone else interested in GM have thoughts?

That looks like a nice list--not sure why Hopkins would be so high (my impression was that they are not as ideal for GM...). But perhaps you had a better gut feeling from their program--unless you're looking at the urban health track?
 
Last edited:
That looks like a nice list--not sure why Hopkins would be so high (my impression was that they are not as ideal for GM...). But perhaps you had a better gut feeling from their program--unless you're looking at the urban health track?
I looked at the urban health track. It's a relatively new program, but they have what seem like good connections to community clinics, and the patient population is a plus for me.
 
I'm assuming you think Michigan is more "factory/intensity" feel? Otherwise, I don't think New Haven beats Ann Arbor in terms of location. Vandy has pretty good resident satisfaction too. #5/6 may deserve few more points unless you have something against them. UChicago seems to have financial issues, but not sure if it impacts the program.



All outstanding programs--U of C is opening a brand new hospital in 2 months, which is going to cost almost $500 million. I wouldn't worry about financial issues at this point, and it certainly has zero impact on the quality of training
 
Interested in general medicine...
1. UCSF
2. University of Washington
3. Brigham
4. Hopkins
5. Columbia
6. Duke
7. Northwestern
8. MGH
9. UChicago
10. UCLA
11. Vandy
12. Stanford
13. WashU
Anyone else interested in GM have thoughts?

damn, son. did you cure AIDS? magic bullet for cancer? discover water from the holy grail?

anyhow, your top 2 are perfect for what you want to do and i can't see you matching lower after looking at your ROL. it's obvious... they all want you and you're competitive everywhere.
 
Interested in general medicine...
1. UCSF
2. University of Washington
3. Brigham
4. Hopkins
5. Columbia
6. Duke
7. Northwestern
8. MGH
9. UChicago
10. UCLA
11. Vandy
12. Stanford
13. WashU
Anyone else interested in GM have thoughts?

UCSF is a great top choice with your career goals. Every place on your list is amazing. I will say though that if your sole reason for putting UW 2nd is because of its reputation as being strong in GIM/PC, you should potentially reconsider, especially if you are interested in academic GIM. You could always wind up doing a GIM fellowship (which many people who go into academics wind up doing) at one of the places particularly known for being strong in that area, but choose to do your initial IM training at a different kind of program, like an MGH or Brigham. But if you like Seattle or just really liked the UW program, you certainly would not be hurting yourself.
 
damn, son. did you cure AIDS? magic bullet for cancer? discover water from the holy grail?

anyhow, your top 2 are perfect for what you want to do and i can't see you matching lower after looking at your ROL. it's obvious... they all want you and you're competitive everywhere.

Woah now.

Top-heavy lists like those are the notorious "OMG I landed at my #6 😡 " personal messages to JDH and gutonc at the end of March. Can never be too sure. Gotta take the ranking process seriously in these cases with #4-8, because you may end up there.
 
Woah now.

Top-heavy lists like those are the notorious "OMG I landed at my #6 😡 " personal messages to JDH and gutonc at the end of March. Can never be too sure. Gotta take the ranking process seriously in these cases with #4-8, because you may end up there.

i stand corrected.
 
Woah now.

Top-heavy lists like those are the notorious "OMG I landed at my #6 😡 " personal messages to JDH and gutonc at the end of March. Can never be too sure. Gotta take the ranking process seriously in these cases with #4-8, because you may end up there.

Of course, in a case like this, dropping to #8 or 13 on that list is only a hair below (if at all) matching at #1. At least from a program strength/rep standpoint.

But your point is excellent....the "competition" in this case is from a few hundred people who have lists made up of the exact same programs (and a few hundred more with 2 or 3 of those programs on their lists). You can't all match at the same place.
 
Can anyone help me rank these programs in terms of quality of clinical training, research opportunities, and fellowship placement? Interested in specializing, potentially GI, but still open-minded. Thanks!

Mayo Rochester
Dartmouth
Iowa
Case Western
USC
Rochester
OSU
UIC
Montefiore
Rush
MCW
Loma Linda
Loyola
Scripps Green/cpmc/olive view (not really sure how these community/hybrid programs fit into the mix with the above programs, so I just separated them)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When gut feeling and location come into play, the list turns out something like this:
USC/UIC
Rush
Case Western
Mayo
Dartmouth
Scripps Green
cpmc
OSU
Montefiore
Iowa
Loma Linda (didn't get to talk to many residents, so probably didn't get a great feel for the program. If anyone knows any info on resident happiness, the quality of the program, etc. that would also be helpful)
MCW
loyola
Rochester
Olive View
 
Can anyone help me rank these programs in terms of quality of clinical training, research opportunities, and fellowship placement? Interested in specializing, potentially GI, but still open-minded. Thanks!

Mayo Rochester
Dartmouth
Iowa
Case Western
USC
Rochester
OSU
UIC
Montefiore
Rush
MCW
Loma Linda
Loyola
Scripps Green/cpmc/olive view (not really sure how these community/hybrid programs fit into the mix with the above programs, so I just separated them)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When gut feeling and location come into play, the list turns out something like this:
USC/UIC
Rush
Case Western
Mayo
Dartmouth
Scripps Green
cpmc
OSU
Montefiore
Iowa
Loma Linda (didn't get to talk to many residents, so probably didn't get a great feel for the program. If anyone knows any info on resident happiness, the quality of the program, etc. that would also be helpful)
MCW
loyola
Rochester
Olive View

I would move Case and Mayo up to #1 and #2 (interchangeable, in my mind) due to great balance of clinical training, research opportunities, and fellowship placement. USC has improved significantly in the past few years, bringing in new faculty to bring up the boards pass rate significantly, and it has great in-house fellowship placement, but I think it still has a ways to go.

Regarding Loma Linda, I get the sense that they care for the well-being of the residents and the residents seemed pretty happy there (sample size n = 1, who is my friend). I think you'd get solid training, but it's middle tier for the LA area. I don't think you'd have as many research opportunities at Loma Linda as you would at USC.

Regarding fellowship placement, it largely depends on what you're planning to subspecialize in and where you'd like to do it. Community programs like Olive View and CPMC are feeders into their affiliated programs UCLA and UCSF, respectively. Scripps Green is known as a "cush" program in the LA/SD area and honestly, the clinical training is not as well-respected as that of Olive View, Harbor-UCLA, Cedars, UCLA, USC, etc. I think their in-house fellowship match is great, but I think you'd have a hard time matching at top tier places coming from Scripps Green without significant research.
 
Interested in research and specializing (maybe heme/onc, maybe GI, maybe pulm, very much undecided atm). Having spent much of my life in smaller cities/college towns, I'm ready to try out a big city but wouldn't want this to jeopardize good training/fellowship match, etc. With that in mind, I'd appreciate any advice on the following:

1-3: Yale, Weill Cornell and UChicago... I can't decide on the order....
4. Duke-- awesome training but Durham is just so quiet and small, and 30hr q3 call is insane.... but given my career goals, is it worth moving this one up?
5-6. Penn vs. Northwestern?
7-10. UNC vs. BU vs. Pitt vs. Mt. Sinai?

Thanks!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone help me rank these programs in terms of quality of clinical training, research opportunities, and fellowship placement? Interested in specializing, potentially GI, but still open-minded. Thanks!

Mayo Rochester
Dartmouth
Iowa
Case Western
USC
Rochester
OSU
UIC
Montefiore
Rush
MCW
Loma Linda
Loyola
Scripps Green/cpmc/olive view (not really sure how these community/hybrid programs fit into the mix with the above programs, so I just separated them)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When gut feeling and location come into play, the list turns out something like this:
USC/UIC
Rush
Case Western
Mayo
Dartmouth
Scripps Green
cpmc
OSU
Montefiore
Iowa
Loma Linda (didn't get to talk to many residents, so probably didn't get a great feel for the program. If anyone knows any info on resident happiness, the quality of the program, etc. that would also be helpful)
MCW
loyola
Rochester
Olive View

You have some great programs on your list, especially Mayo, Case, and Dartmouth. GI is quite competitive and these three programs will give you the most options in terms of an excellent fellowship match. The rest of the programs are all fine as well but you may have a tougher time with fellowship (not necessarily matching but having broader options).
 
Interested in research and specializing (maybe heme/onc, maybe GI, maybe pulm, very much undecided atm). Having spent much of my life in smaller cities/college towns, I'm ready to try out a big city but wouldn't want this to jeopardize good training/fellowship match, etc. With that in mind, I'd appreciate any advice on the following:

1-3: Yale, Weill Cornell and UChicago... I can't decide on the order....
4. Duke-- awesome training but Durham is just so quiet and small, and 30hr q3 call is insane.... but given my career goals, is it worth moving this one up?
5-6. Penn vs. Northwestern?
7-10. UNC vs. BU vs. Pitt vs. Mt. Sinai?

Thanks!!

From your top 3 choices, UChicago will give you the strongest options for Heme/Onc fellowship but no means are Yale and Cornell far behind.
 
From your top 3 choices, UChicago will give you the strongest options for Heme/Onc fellowship but no means are Yale and Cornell far behind.

Not Cornell?

From the Match list thread. It seems pretty... awesome.

Hem/Onc
Cornell
MD Anderson
MD Anderson
MD Anderson
MSKCC
MSKCC
MSKCC (short-track)
MSKCC (short-track)
MSKCC (short-track)
MSKCC (short-track)
UChicago
UPenn
 
Not Cornell?

From the Match list thread. It seems pretty... awesome.

Hem/Onc
Cornell
MD Anderson
MD Anderson
MD Anderson
MSKCC
MSKCC
MSKCC (short-track)
MSKCC (short-track)
MSKCC (short-track)
MSKCC (short-track)
UChicago
UPenn

wow that pretty impressive. it seems like docsaab has a bias towards u of c based on previous posts.
 
Hey guys i know this list is no where is impressive as what others posted but hoping i can get some feedback on my list. looking to attend a program based on reputation and clinical training. thanks guys

1) Dartmouth
2) Yale Primary Care
3) U of Minnesota
4) Temple
5) VCU
6) Robert Wood Johnson
7) UVM
8) Louisville
9) UMass
10) Cleveland clinic
11) UMDNJ-NJMS

That's pretty much how I'd put hose programs. I'd probably move RWJ up to 4 but that's splitting hairs.