Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's been going on for the last few years. Although...mustaches by itself doesn't look as good compared to mustaches with a beard.

And No Fap November...I don't think most guys can last an entire month :LOL:

Members don't see this ad.

It's been going on for the last few years. Although...mustaches by itself doesn't look as good compared to mustaches with a beard.

And No Fap November...I don't think most guys can last an entire month :LOL:
:LOL:
I can never do no shave thingy.

I hate these damn emoticons. I couldn't find the right one.

Yeah I miss the laughing, meanie and naughty smilies...

BUT, there are some new interesting ones here! :bear::vamp::greedy::panda::penguin::cow::chicken::cat::borg::beaver::turtle:

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been growing out a full beard up until I have to shave it off for interviews. Unless I get something in Dec/Nov, this thing is growing out until Jan

Accept it. Like a boss.
I guess.
Haha I think I heard her mention it elsewhere, my question didn't really relate to her post.

In other news this thread has so much potential but it's just not there.
I'm a barely-non-trad. I don't really qualify age-wise (graduated in 2012), but I never considered med until after I graduated, so I'm kind of switching gears here and I've decided to wait until Jun 2015 to apply (2014 MCAT ftw!)

And yeah, it's in a slump right now. Sorry, guys, I got super busy and haven't been able to entertain the masses :p

I guess.

I'm a barely-non-trad. I don't really qualify age-wise (graduated in 2012), but I never considered med until after I graduated, so I'm kind of switching gears here and I've decided to wait until Jun 2015 to apply (2014 MCAT ftw!)

And yeah, it's in a slump right now. Sorry, guys, I got super busy and haven't been able to entertain the masses :p

Ah nevermind, we are the same age. Dunno why I thought you were older

If you're cool&tough enough it isn't an issue.

Subtext.
I dunno what you guys are complaining about...I never seem to have a problem with no-shave-no-fap-no-vember!
Wait...how do you 'vember' in the first place?

Chuck Norris approves your comment.
thumbs-up-chuck_zps98f9539e.gif

So when we all make it, what car(s) will you be driving to the hospital/office?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm weird on this one...if I could build my dream car, from scratch: Station wagon, preferably old-school style that's still made of metal...short enough that I can load up the top, but most of my belongings would fit in the back if needed. I like the station wagon; you can fit almost anything in it without thinking about it, it's perfect for dogs, the seats usually fold down for long items, they're not tall like SUVs (hard to load) and they're not gas hogs. Plus, they have the only sensible rear door design out of all cars (seriously, tell me you haven't cursed at those items which would fit in your trunk easily if only the trunk opening wasn't a foot narrower than the interior). Standard transmission if available, and none of that weird electronic crap in my dashboard. I'll install the sound system myself, tyvm. I want my car to be a car; it should never tell me what to do or try and steer or park for me in any way, or flash up messages every 5min when a 1-time warning would be sufficient. No tire pressure sensors, etc. I DO want AC, power windows, power locks, etc...actually, I want a keypad lock for the door...those things are the most convenient feature EVER. You can stash your keys while running, hiking, or swimming (super important now that all the keys are electronic but not waterproof). If you take a group of friends, you can share the password and everyone can leave their stuff in the car without bugging you every 10min for the keys.
I want my car to be usable, not flashy. Bonus points if it's easy to work on myself (aka not American made or BMW.)

I'm weird on this one...if I could build my dream car, from scratch: Station wagon, preferably old-school style that's still made of metal...short enough that I can load up the top, but most of my belongings would fit in the back if needed. I like the station wagon; you can fit almost anything in it without thinking about it, it's perfect for dogs, the seats usually fold down for long items, they're not tall like SUVs (hard to load) and they're not gas hogs. Plus, they have the only sensible rear door design out of all cars (seriously, tell me you haven't cursed at those items which would fit in your trunk easily if only the trunk opening wasn't a foot narrower than the interior).
I drive a Ford Crew cab truck. I can put anything on it. I have even towed cars with it. That reminds me I picked up my lil bro from the ER the other day, some doctors had trucks with a lift kit on it. Welcome to Texas.

I drive a Ford Crew cab truck. I can put anything on it. I have even towed cars with it. That reminds me I picked up my lil bro from the ER the other day, some doctors had trucks with a lift kit on it. Welcome to Texas.
I definitely don't want a truck...too tall, too much gas, too little people room (I know, I know, crew cab, but not for me), PITA to park. We towed plenty of things with a crappy little Hyundai Excel (back before Hyundai stopped being the ****tiest of ****ty cars; I don't feel like I'm missing much on that front.

I definitely don't want a truck...too tall, too much gas, too little people room (I know, I know, crew cab, but not for me), PITA to park. We towed plenty of things with a crappy little Hyundai Excel (back before Hyundai stopped being the ****tiest of ****ty cars; I don't feel like I'm missing much on that front.

I guess gas doesn't hurt me much since I do live in the capital of oil companies. For me a truck it's the best. I don't look funny driving it and big enough for me.
lol how old are you?

23 man...I know I sound like an old person or something, but I just think the new cars look and feel crappy.
I don't want a truck because I actually get MORE utility out of a station wagon for the types of things I like to do. I can't think of anything I could do with a truck that I wouldn't be able to do with the car anyway...some would be more of a hassle because the car is not quite built for it...but same goes for the truck carrying a cello or my belongings or my dog...the truck could do those things but it'd be more of a hassle than doing them with a station wagon. I choose MY ideal vehicle so that it's easier to do the activities I am likely to do more; I don't mind the extra hassle for those rare times I do truck-geared activities. Personally, for me, almost all lifting/hauling activities are more of a pain when you have to lift things higher and secure light things because they're outside. And seriously, man, gas prices. I don't care where you live, it still costs more to buy more gas.

Nothing against trucks, just not a good fit for me personally!

23 man...I know I sound like an old person or something, but I just think the new cars look and feel crappy.
I don't want a truck because I actually get MORE utility out of a station wagon for the types of things I like to do. I can't think of anything I could do with a truck that I wouldn't be able to do with the car anyway...some would be more of a hassle because the car is not quite built for it...but same goes for the truck carrying a cello or my belongings or my dog...the truck could do those things but it'd be more of a hassle than doing them with a station wagon. I choose MY ideal vehicle so that it's easier to do the activities I am likely to do more; I don't mind the extra hassle for those rare times I do truck-geared activities. Personally, for me, almost all lifting/hauling activities are more of a pain when you have to lift things higher and secure light things because they're outside. And seriously, man, gas prices. I don't care where you live, it still costs more to buy more gas.

A station wagon...zoinks!

Family recently moved to east Texas, was shocked at how many huge trucks there are there when I visited.

Whoa wait, guys...why is the phrase 'station wagon' highlighted twice in my post and now links to an ad? Has SDN gone dark side?
And my prior post...'station wagon', 'sound system'...this is TERRIBLE!

Bonus points if it's easy to work on myself (aka not American made or BMW.)

You're kidding right? American cars are often much easier to work on than Japanese cars. My first car was a little Toyota that was low enough to the ground I could barely fit under it to change the oil. The engine compartment was so tight I had to completely remove the battery and the battery holder just to change the left headlight. Many modern vehicles are no longer designed to be friendly for everyday folks to perform routine maintenance on them anymore, because so many people just take them to a shop. You're definitely wrong in thinking this is somehow less of an issue in imports. Matter of fact, I heard the other day that in order to change the headlights on the new Prius, it requires part of the body panels to be removed and then replaced, potentially running up over $100 in labor fees. I'd call that the opposite of "easy to work on yourself".

Gas is $2.79 where I live. Winning. I think you can find better/newer vehicles for what you are looking for. Ford has a lot of crossovers and SUV's that have the space and flex fuel. If you want just do some more research on newer vehicles on what they offer. Instead of driving a dinosaur. lol

You're kidding right? American cars are often much easier to work on than Japanese cars. My first car was a little Toyota that was low enough to the ground I could barely fit under it to change the oil. The engine compartment was so tight I had to completely remove the battery and the battery holder just to change the left headlight. Many modern vehicles are no longer designed to be friendly for everyday folks to perform routine maintenance on them anymore, because so many people just take them to a shop. You're definitely wrong in thinking this is somehow less of an issue in imports. Matter of fact, I heard the other day that in order to change the headlights on the new Prius, it requires part of the body panels to be removed and then replaced, potentially running up over $100 in labor fees. I'd call that the opposite of "easy to work on yourself".
Well, the first mistake there is driving a Prius...kind of have it coming for that decision...plus I would not get a hybrid expecting to work on it myself anyway. Personally, I think buying old cars rather than wasting them every 5yrs is better for the environment anyway...and anyone who thinks we're doing anything but subbing one materials (oil) crisis for another (Li) down the line is fooling themselves...and the electricity used to charge the batteries is still fossil-fuel derived.

But no, I'm not kidding...I've worked on plenty of cars, and if you're doing anything major, the American ones are the biggest PITA ever. I was rebuilding the brake lines on an old Pontiac and it had (I kid you not) metric lines with US threaded fittings o_O All of the US cars I've worked on have had an obnoxious mix of metric and american fittings. Plus, honestly, I just don't associate Ford/GMC with good quality (just gimmicky-ness). And yes, this comes from owning and working on cars from all of these companies.

Last edited:
Family recently moved to east Texas, was shocked at how many huge trucks there are there when I visited.
Yup. I was going to raise my truck, but I go to a lot of parking lots that have a height limit, so yeah....

Gas is $2.79 where I live. Winning. I think you can find better/newer vehicles for what you are looking for. Ford has a lot of crossovers and SUV's that have the space and flex fuel. If you want just do some more research on newer vehicles on what they offer. Instead of driving a dinosaur. lol
I will never ever own a Ford again. I do NOT want an SUV for several reasons. I have researched newer vehicles; I have yet to find one I actually have any inclination to purchase. I do not ever plan to buy a car new unless something changes drastically from our current system.

Whoa wait, guys...why is the phrase 'station wagon' highlighted twice in my post and now links to an ad? Has SDN gone dark side?
And my prior post...'station wagon', 'sound system'...this is TERRIBLE!
Hahaha. I was like what the heck. Why is she sending me links to those websites?

Well, the first mistake there is driving a Prius...kind of have it coming for that decision...
But no, I'm not kidding...I've worked on plenty of cars, and if you're doing anything major, the American ones are the biggest PITA ever. I was rebuilding the brake lines on an old Pontiac and it had (I kid you not) metric lines with US threaded fittings o_O All of the US cars I've worked on have had an obnoxious mix of metric and american fittings. Plus, honestly, I just don't associate Ford/GMC with good quality (just gimmicky-ness). And yes, this comes from owning and working on cars from all of these companies.

Ah I see what you mean. I've never tried to undertake anything that major on a car myself, so now I feel decidedly less masculine now that I've been shown up by a lady

Ah I see what you mean. I've never tried to undertake anything that major on a car myself, so now I feel decidedly less masculine now that I've been shown up by a lady
Haha, nothing to do with masculinity, I was just broke as **** for a lot of my life!!

I will never ever own a Ford again. I do NOT want an SUV for several reasons. I have researched newer vehicles; I have yet to find one I actually have any inclination to purchase. I do not ever plan to buy a car new unless something changes drastically from our current system.
Hmmm what you need is a Lamborghini. It's all good. Station Wagon it is.

Hmmm what you need is a Lamborghini. It's all good. Station Wagon it is.
For what it's worth, the station wagon must have something going for it, as the only thing being advertised for on here are station wagons and the Aston Martin!! ???whatishappening???

To replace the headlight bulb, you have to remove the entire front bumper on current generation Chevy Malibus. http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/...-Headlight-Bulbs-Replacement-Guide/index.html Idiotic design isn't unique to foreign or domestic cars, a specific manufacturer, or even a specific model.

Anybody thinking of going into surgery?
Nothing but!
I was in the ED the other day and this guy came in with a bullet through his ulna. It drove me NUTS that all we did was look at the XR and go "oh look, broken ulna with metal and bone fragments scattered everywhere. Diagnosed, move on, NEXT!!"
I always want to )&@$#ing FIX things, right then and there. I envy the surgeons who come in, take our patients, fix them that day, and send them home the next

Nothing but!
I was in the ED the other day and this guy came in with a bullet through his ulna. It drove me NUTS that all we did was look at the XR and go "oh look, broken ulna with metal and bone fragments scattered everywhere. Diagnosed, move on, NEXT!!"
I always want to )&@$#ing FIX things, right then and there. I envy the surgeons who come in, take our patients, fix them that day, and send them home the next
Yeah, I have heard some ER docs think all they do is put a bandage over it. I'm in my 20's by now I really know what I want in life. I'm keeping my eyes on I6 CT residency. I know for sure I'm going surgery route. So you work at a hospital?

Yeah, I have heard some ER docs think all they do is put a bandage over it. I'm in my 20's by now I really know what I want in life. I'm keeping my eyes on I6 CT residency. I know for sure I'm going surgery route. So you work at a hospital?
Yeah, I'm a scribe at a semi-rural ED. I mean, it's in a city, but not a big one, and it's only a few hours from Stanford and UCSF, so all of the really cool stuff gets lifted up there.
I'm enjoying the hell out of it and learning a lot, but I don't think I want to be an ED physician, personally. Too little actual fixing-the-problem and too many whiny hypochondriac patients. As I said in some other thread, my personal fave pipe dream (waaay too many steps to count on from here and I obviously don't know anything about it first-hand) is peds CT or something...actual trauma surgery sounds enticing to me. I think I'd be happy with pretty much any surgical specialty. Watch me go through third year and decide on Psych or something, though (lol).

Ummm... somehow streampaw is 2nd place on the notable members "most likes" leaderboard... what??

Yeah, I'm a scribe at a semi-rural ED. I mean, it's in a city, but not a big one, and it's only a few hours from Stanford and UCSF, so all of the really cool stuff gets lifted up there.
I'm enjoying the hell out of it and learning a lot, but I don't think I want to be an ED physician, personally. Too little actual fixing-the-problem and too many whiny hypochondriac patients. As I said in some other thread, my personal fave pipe dream (waaay too many steps to count on from here and I obviously don't know anything about it first-hand) is peds CT or something...actual trauma surgery sounds enticing to me. I think I'd be happy with pretty much any surgical specialty. Watch me go through third year and decide on Psych or something, though (lol).
I ****ing love transplant surgeries! I would like to do adult and peds CT as well.