Ohio State c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If any OOS waitlisted student at spot #1-6 can post if they've been accepted, what number their spot was and if they have accepted or declined their offer, that would be really helpful.

Sincerely again, waitlisted OOS student at #7

I declined my OOS seat today. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS applicant, declined my seat today. good luck !

was just called off the witlist forcornell but still sticking with osu. hope its the right choice !
anyone know of any reptile rescues/sanctuaries places in Cbus?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know of any reptile rescues/sanctuaries places in Cbus?

That's a good question. Are you interested in pet rescues, wildlife sanctuaries, or a little of both?

I can honestly say I've been in Columbus for 10+ years and I'm not immediately aware of any reptile rescues (well no reptile only and definitely not "pet" reptile rescues). There could be some, but they may be very small groups that don't promote themselves very well. There are various large and small organizations that may take care of reptiles in addition to other species. The ones that come to my mind are largely wildlife oriented though, like the Ohio Wildlife Center.

That's a good question. Are you interested in pet rescues, wildlife sanctuaries, or a little of both?

I can honestly say I've been in Columbus for 10+ years and I'm not immediately aware of any reptile rescues (well no reptile only and definitely not "pet" reptile rescues). There could be some, but they may be very small groups that don't promote themselves very well. There are various large and small organizations that may take care of reptiles in addition to other species. The ones that come to my mind are largely wildlife oriented though, like the Ohio Wildlife Center.

a little bit of both. Thanks for the info! I want my education/career to be in exotics and maybe a little bit of wildlife.

Does anyone know of any in state students that declined their seats?

How much do most students pay for rent? I'm looking for a one bedroom in Grandview/ Upper Arlington and found some interesting places but there is a huge range in rents and I honestly want the best bang for my buck!

Last edited:
How much do most students pay for rent? I'm looking for a one bedroom in Grandview/ Upper Arlington and found some interesting places but there is a huge range in rents and I honestly want the best bang for my buck!

What I've usually seen from those neighborhoods over the last few years falls between $700-$900 - larger, well maintained one bedrooms being at the higher end. Very rarely would I find a place under $700, but it usually had some major undesirable qualities (too small, basement unit, poorly maintained bathrooms/kitchens, no parking, etc.).

For a one bedroom apt, expect to pay $750+. Also, being that close to campus (Upper Arlington and Grandview are like 5-10 minute drives from campus), it's hard to find anything below that range.

There are some apts in the downtown area that are called "Americana Apartments" and the 1 bedroom apts they have go for ~$660. I guess you could check them out.

Last edited:
i found a place in grandview that is 699 (plus a pet deposit) but has given me 650 a month after i inquired further

What I've usually seen from those neighborhoods over the last few years falls between $700-$900 - larger, well maintained one bedrooms being at the higher end. Very rarely would I find a place under $700, but it usually had some major undesirable qualities (too small, basement unit, poorly maintained bathrooms/kitchens, no parking, etc.).
For a one bedroom apt, expect to pay $750+. Also, being that close to campus (Upper Arlington and Grandview are like 5-10 minute drives from campus), it's hard to find anything below that range.

There are some apts in the downtown area that are called "Americana Apartments" and the 1 bedroom apts they have go for ~$660. I guess you could check them out.
Thank you for your help!

i found a place in grandview that is 699 (plus a pet deposit) but has given me 650 a month after i inquired further
That's an awesome deal! Do you mind sharing where you are?

Thank you for your help!

That's an awesome deal! Do you mind sharing where you are?

It's in the grand view area . I found it on zillow (this place didn't come up in general searches for apartments in the area) so it didn't have a name for the complex. It's on North Star road near krogers and is a one bedroom .
They seem to be ok with most pets and only have a size limit for fish tanks on upper floors

Members don't see this ad :)
I also received an email at 6 EST that I was accepted off the waitlist!!! OOS #9 I'm so excited!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Congrats not looking good for in state.
It's still early, and some in-state people may have heard and just not posted about it on here. I wouldn't worry too much just yet!

It's still early, and some in-state people may have heard and just not posted about it on here. I wouldn't worry too much just yet!

I'm trying not to but I am #2 so not to sure who #1 is but I really want to go to this school :/

Accepted to OSU in state #2- I am SO happy!:):love::banana:

Reactions: 11 users
After you get the acceptance email and put in your deposit, do they send you another email or packet in the mail with more information? Such as housing and what not.

After you get the acceptance email and put in your deposit, do they send you another email or packet in the mail with more information? Such as housing and what not.

Nothing in the mail, but you should get an email with information about the Facebook page, vaccine requirements etc

You'll be receiving emails about what you need to have before you start (rabies vaccines, background checks, etc etc) and all that.
No housing tho, at least that's what I remember. Everyone pretty much looks for an apt on their own.

Great thank you for the information! Is anyone else interested in the DVM & MPH program? I am and was wondering how we go about that . Do we have to send in another separate application for that?

Great thank you for the information! Is anyone else interested in the DVM & MPH program? I am and was wondering how we go about that . Do we have to send in another separate application for that?

Not right away. You apply in the Spring of your first year so you have plenty of time to hear about the program and get your application materials together. They seem to really push the idea of getting through your first semester/first year unencumbered by other degree programs or jobs.

Not right away. You apply in the Spring of your first year so you have plenty of time to hear about the program and get your application materials together. They seem to really push the idea of getting through your first semester/first year unencumbered by other degree programs or jobs.

Do you know if that applies to just the MPH or any masters/PhD programs available?

Do you know if that applies to just the MPH or any masters/PhD programs available?

I'm not sure about PhD programs, but the vet med MPH/MS programs, yes. When I was talking to Dr. Lord back in February (before it was announced that she was leaving) she had stated that they usually recommend their students wait to apply to the Master's programs "in the Spring of their first year."

Logistically, the first year is packed with coursework too so it would be difficult to actually take core classes for other degrees during that time. With the MPH, specifically, students use the summers their first two years to knock out certain credits.

Logistically, the first year is packed with coursework too so it would be difficult to actually take core classes for other degrees during that time.

Ha, yep. Can confirm.

First year is a heck of a ride. Taking MPH, etc courses not during the school year would make the most sense to me if I were going down that road.

Ha, yep. Can confirm.

First year is a heck of a ride. Taking MPH, etc courses not during the school year would make the most sense to me if I were going down that road.

That is good to know! I want to get settled in and go through my first year first anyway! I am glad to hear that it is still an option and that we can begin doing it sophomore year!

After one puts in their deposit, approximately how long after does it take to get an email to set up an OSU email, info on the Facebook page, etc?

After one puts in their deposit, approximately how long after does it take to get an email to set up an OSU email, info on the Facebook page, etc?
Someone on here can add you to the facebook page. As for the email, give it a couple of days, tops a week.

Does anyone know if Ohio State recommends a certain kind of stethoscope? The veterinarian that I work with would like to purchase me one for school, and I wasn't sure if we needed a specific kind. Does anyone have any recommendations on a specific one? Thank you so much!

Does anyone know if Ohio State recommends a certain kind of stethoscope? The veterinarian that I work with would like to purchase me one for school, and I wasn't sure if we needed a specific kind. Does anyone have any recommendations on a specific one? Thank you so much!
Any stethoscope will do for school. Littman and Welch Allyn are the two most popular brands here.

would you suggest a littman classic or littman cardiology ?

I have the cardio 3. I like it, just wish I had bought the longer version. Really any stethoscope will do for school though! If you can, see if you can borrow some other people's stethoscopes and see what you like best. You won't need it right away so you have some time after school starts to figure it out.

If it's been over a week since my acceptance processed and I haven't gotten an email, should I contact someone?

Does anyone have any recommendations on apartments? Ones that are preferably decent priced for rent and ones that aren't too far from the vet school. I do think i want an apartment for my first year, and wouldn't mind a roommate if it would mean rent would be cheaper. I was looking into Fisher Commons but that is outrageously expensive. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Does anyone have any recommendations on apartments? Ones that are preferably decent priced for rent and ones that aren't too far from the vet school. I do think i want an apartment for my first year, and wouldn't mind a roommate if it would mean rent would be cheaper. I was looking into Fisher Commons but that is outrageously expensive. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Have you looked for anything on the Roommate Guide in the Facebook group?

Have you looked for anything on the Roommate Guide in the Facebook group?

I have been looking and most of them are houses. I need to fill out the page that you fill out for a roommate match up but I'm not too sure other than that of finding housing.

I have been looking and most of them are houses. I need to fill out the page that you fill out for a roommate match up but I'm not too sure other than that of finding housing.
Just curious, but why are you wanting an apartment over a house?

Sterling Place, Governour's Square, and Island Club are three apartment complexes that I know multiple people in my class live in and are generally happy with :) All three of those complexes are pretty close to each other and about 15 minutes north of campus.

Sterling Place, Governour's Square, and Island Club are three apartment complexes that I know multiple people in my class live in and are generally happy with :) All three of those complexes are pretty close to each other and about 15 minutes north of campus.
+1 to Governour's Square. I live there and the apartments (at least mine) are really nice. Mine was recently re-decorated (new bathroom and kitchen). And it's only 10-12 minutes from campus. It's a really quiet complex. My neighbors are really respectful and very lowkey.

unrelated, but we finally finished first year today. Hoo boy was that something.

Just curious, but why are you wanting an apartment over a house?

I just want something that is going to be quiet especially for first year when getting in the groove of things. I just think it is what I would prefer unless I can find a house that is relatively close and cheaper when split among a few people.