Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am so excited! Got the email about the admitted student day. I look forward to meeting everyone :zip:

what day is it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wish I could be there, hopefully my wife and I will make it out to the second one in June!

@Marrowist when you filled out the scholarship application did you use the AACOMAS GPA? I had a few retakes so the GPA my undergrad gave me will be different and I don't know what to put.

I put what AACOMAS listed. I figure they will have my transcripts and my primary app so if they want specific info they will have it.

Reactions: 1 users
What textbook is used for Immunology here?

Unsure, but from what I understand we should def wait until class starts to decide if we actually want to buy any books.

All the books are available for free to students on the library website. So don't buy them. Furthermore the instructors lectures and slides are much more valuable than the textbook for any class.

Unsure, but from what I understand we should def wait until class starts to decide if we actually want to buy any books.

Don't buy any of the text books. For 1st and 2nd year classes just study the ppt lectures. Board prep is a different story.

Don't buy any of the text books. For 1st and 2nd year classes just study the ppt lectures. Board prep is a different story.
I'm currently enrolled at OU and am taking immunolgy here. The instructor is pretty lenient with what text we use, that is my reasoning for asking.

I'm currently enrolled at OU and am taking immunolgy here. The instructor is pretty lenient with what text we use, that is my reasoning for asking.

Basic Immunology by abbas

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 12.23.36 PM.png

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!
I was wanting some input from any students who have done the dual degree program (specifically MPH or MS). I'm interested in MPH because I'd like to study mental health issues in rural/underserved communities but I like how the MS allows for some of the classes to cross over into the DO curriculum and am interested/have conducted research before. Are there any students that can provide some input about their experiences?

Hi everyone!
I was wanting some input from any students who have done the dual degree program (specifically MPH or MS). I'm interested in MPH because I'd like to study mental health issues in rural/underserved communities but I like how the MS allows for some of the classes to cross over into the DO curriculum and am interested/have conducted research before. Are there any students that can provide some input about their experiences?
I can't provide input, but I can tell you my reasoning for not pursuing a dual program.

I did not want to take a break during my four year medical education. I was specifically looking into the DO/PhD program and decided that the extra time as well as the 3-5 year break in-between the medical education was not worth it. In addition, I have been told that you do not need the PhD to do research and I could presume the same for MPH and MS. You can do want you want without those titles.

I think the MPH or MS is structured as you do it prior to entering medical school. So, the question is... do you want to delay entering medical school obtain that status?

Hi everyone!

My take= that 1 year experience just cost you 250K+ since you are delaying the time you will be a physician. So you have to ask yourself if you will gain enough knowledge in that one year that will be worth delaying your career. Only you can answer this for yourself though. I have friends who did both and they seemed to enjoy it however!

I want to start buying some essential "stuff" here and there so I don't have to spend a big chunk at once. Is there anything that current students would say "Absolutely get" or "Absolutely do not get"

Sent the admissions office an email stating my intent last week. Hopefully I'll hear some good news soon!

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Sent the admissions office an email stating my intent last week. Hopefully I'll hear some good news soon!

Awesome! Keep grindin, keep volunteering, keep making that app better and when you have significant updates keep letting admissions know. It's worth it when all the application stress is over.

Awesome! Keep grindin, keep volunteering, keep making that app better and when you have significant updates keep letting admissions know. It's worth it when all the application stress is over.
I'll have a few updates soon that I'll definitely be updating to the portal! Thanks for the advice!

I want to start buying some essential "stuff" here and there so I don't have to spend a big chunk at once. Is there anything that current students would say "Absolutely get" or "Absolutely do not get"
Absolutely do not buy anything. They'll give you your white coat, scrubs and a diagnostic kit. All the textbooks and resources are online.

Does anyone have any idea when the Facebook page will be up? I'm from CA and hoping to find a roommate sooner rather than later lol.

Does anyone have any idea when the Facebook page will be up? I'm from CA and hoping to find a roommate sooner rather than later lol.
I am curious about this as well... hopefully soon. You might contact admissions?

Just emailed them a few minutes ago. Is there anyone on here that is looking for a roommate? Lol
Unfortunately I am not :(

You might search around for apartments. I bet you could find one that is cost similar to living with a roommate.

I am from Tulsa and am willing to help anyone from out of town with any questions or whatever. Just PM me.

So they said the page should be up in a month or two.

Unfortunately I am not :(

You might search around for apartments. I bet you could find one that is cost similar to living with a roommate.

I thought about doing that, but I think there are more pros to having a roommate than cons lol. At least for me.

Does anyone know at all about when they start taking people off the waitlist? Any estimate??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

FYI: We now have mandatory dress code. Matching scrubs or Business professional. I know dress code matters a lot to some people so just a head up.

Reactions: 3 users
FYI: We now have mandatory dress code. Matching scrubs or Business professional. I know dress code matters a lot to some people so just a head up.

Well, scrubs it is. I'm assuming business professional means a tie?

Scrubs every day is my life. They are so comfortable. Are they trying to institute mandatory attendance? Also, what brought this on? Just curious.

Isn't business professional a suit....?

God that sucks, but technically there was always a dress code right? Just nobody ever followed it before

Scrubs every day is my life. They are so comfortable. Are they trying to institute mandatory attendance? Also, what brought this on? Just curious.

No mandatory attendance and I doubt they ever would, and this was brought on by a repercussion of certain members of our class not being able to keep their chill during a class party. So basically, if you have unprofessional habits... kick them or suppress them so the rest of your class (or your career) doesn't have to pay the consequences.

As somebody who chose schools I applied to based off of 1. Football and 2. Dress code ... I am not stoked lol.

But, scrubs aren't bad, and OSU is ranked #7 in the pre-season poll so life will go on.

Reactions: 2 users
No mandatory attendance and I doubt they ever would, and this was brought on by a repercussion of certain members of our class not being able to keep their chill during a class party. So basically, if you have unprofessional habits... kick them or suppress them so the rest of your class (or your career) doesn't have to pay the consequences.

As somebody who chose schools I applied to based off of 1. Football and 2. Dress code ... I am not stoked lol.

But, scrubs aren't bad, and OSU is ranked #7 in the pre-season poll so life will go on.
I'm not sure they wouldn't institute mandatory attendance. There is already a lot of saltiness from faculty members about people not attending class, particularly one OMM professor who has way too much power unchecked. And even if there are "no mandatory lectures" we still have 10-16 hours of mandatory classes per week anyway. So fat load of good "no mandatory lectures" is doing us.

If I come off as bitter, it's because I am. It's been 1 thing after another since we came back from break

Last edited:
I'm not sure they wouldn't institute mandatory attendance. There is already a lot of saltiness from faculty members about people not attending class, particularly one OMM professor who has way too much power unchecked. And even if there are "no mandatory lectures" we still have 10-16 hours of mandatory classes per week anyway. So fat load of good "no mandatory lectures" is doing us.

If I come off as bitter, it's because I am. We've been treated like dog$h!t since we came back from Christmas break.
Really? Why do you think this is? What changed that you should be treated so poorly?

Really? Why do you think this is? What changed that you should be treated so poorly?
1. A bunch of drunk idiots at a party
2. Administration isn't intelligent and doesn't give a crap about us. Rash overreactions, group punishment, adding policies that inconvenience students, throwing crap at the wall and hoping it helps 2nd years pass boards while not addressing the root of the problem.

2. Administration isn't intelligent and doesn't give a crap about us. Rash overreactions, group punishment, adding policies that inconvenience students, throwing crap at the wall and hoping it helps 2nd years pass boards while not addressing the root of the problem.

Wow... maybe I should start hoping PCOM gives me an II....

What other policies inconvenience students? And what did these drunks do???

Was thinking the saaaame thing...

Not me. This is and will remain my top choice. I am incredibly grateful to be going here and have heard far more good than bad. Still pumped!

Not me. This is and will remain my top choice. I am incredibly grateful to be going here and have heard far more good than bad. Still pumped!
Oh yeah, I've heard way more good than bad. I absolutely would still attend an interview if they offered

@AnatomyGrey12 @BoroPreMed92

Nah don't trip.

I honestly love this school, the only thing they have done that bugs me is the dress code because I am lazy and want to wear sweats everyday.

Admin is tripping about boards, but I know numerous 3rd and 4th years that SLAYED boards despite the curriculum. If you are a top student, you will get top scores no matter where you are at. Also the curriculum is lax so you can look for other opportunities to make yourself great. Example: I have led teams of residents in research projects, and have submitted 3 projects to journals top journals in their respective fields, I also have 6 more to be submitted by summer (6 of these 9 are first author) and I have only been in medical school 6 months.. I have just confirmed projects with faculty in our surgical subspecialties where I will lead a high up attending and a resident in projects this spring. You couldn't get that experience at most MD schools let alone DO schools. While doing all of this I have been doing board questions, having 2 date nights a week with my wife, and went to every home OSU football game and I thoroughly enjoy life (unlike all my friends at KCU and such getting hammered with their curriculums). I am convinced that OSU is giving me the opportunity to be the best DO residency applicant I could possibly be when the time comes, as well as allowing me to have other priorities like my wife, and thats what matters. I can deal with wearing scrubs in order to be at this school. Obviously you have to be able to grind for these outcomes, but if you have the drive you can make it happen at OSUCOM. And if you don't wanna be a super competitive applicant and just want a primary care spot then guess what? You can coast because OSU has more residency spots than people to fill them and they give preference to OSU students.

Y'all will be just fine.

Reactions: 5 users
@AnatomyGrey12 @BoroPreMed92

Nah don't trip.

I honestly love this school, the only thing they have done that bugs me is the dress code because I am lazy and want to wear sweats everyday.

Admin is tripping about boards, but I know numerous 3rd and 4th years that SLAYED boards despite the curriculum. If you are a top student, you will get top scores no matter where you are at. Also the curriculum is lax so you can look for other opportunities to make yourself great. Example: I have led teams of residents in research projects, and have submitted 3 projects to journals top journals in their respective fields, I also have 6 more to be submitted by summer (6 of these 9 are first author) and I have only been in medical school 6 months.. I have just confirmed projects with faculty in our surgical subspecialties where I will lead a high up attending and a resident in projects this spring. You couldn't get that experience at most MD schools let alone DO schools. While doing all of this I have been doing board questions, having 2 date nights a week with my wife, and went to every home OSU football game and I thoroughly enjoy life (unlike all my friends at KCU and such getting hammered with their curriculums). I am convinced that OSU is giving me the opportunity to be the best DO residency applicant I could possibly be when the time comes, as well as allowing me to have other priorities like my wife, and thats what matters. I can deal with wearing scrubs in order to be at this school. Obviously you have to be able to grind for these outcomes, but if you have the drive you can make it happen at OSUCOM. And if you don't wanna be a super competitive applicant and just want a primary care spot then guess what? You can coast because OSU has more residency spots than people to fill them and they give preference to OSU students.

Y'all will be just fine.

Haha I was just being dramatic. All of the reasons above is why OSU is my top choice