Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do we get season tickets?!

Members don't see this ad.

Do we get season tickets?!

no, but you can buy there OSU student pass which gets you into every football, basketball, baseball, (insert sport here until you run out).
Its like 200$ and gets you into everything.

Reactions: 1 user
no, but you can buy there OSU student pass which gets you into every football, basketball, baseball, (insert sport here until you run out).
Its like 100000$ and gets you into everything.

Wow that's a great deal!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the call today! Accepted! Looking forward to seeing all of you soon!

Reactions: 4 users
@AnatomyGrey12 @BoroPreMed92

Nah don't trip.

I honestly love this school, the only thing they have done that bugs me is the dress code because I am lazy and want to wear sweats everyday.

Admin is tripping about boards, but I know numerous 3rd and 4th years that SLAYED boards despite the curriculum. If you are a top student, you will get top scores no matter where you are at. Also the curriculum is lax so you can look for other opportunities to make yourself great. Example: I have led teams of residents in research projects, and have submitted 3 projects to journals top journals in their respective fields, I also have 6 more to be submitted by summer (6 of these 9 are first author) and I have only been in medical school 6 months.. I have just confirmed projects with faculty in our surgical subspecialties where I will lead a high up attending and a resident in projects this spring. You couldn't get that experience at most MD schools let alone DO schools. While doing all of this I have been doing board questions, having 2 date nights a week with my wife, and went to every home OSU football game and I thoroughly enjoy life (unlike all my friends at KCU and such getting hammered with their curriculums). I am convinced that OSU is giving me the opportunity to be the best DO residency applicant I could possibly be when the time comes, as well as allowing me to have other priorities like my wife, and thats what matters. I can deal with wearing scrubs in order to be at this school. Obviously you have to be able to grind for these outcomes, but if you have the drive you can make it happen at OSUCOM. And if you don't wanna be a super competitive applicant and just want a primary care spot then guess what? You can coast because OSU has more residency spots than people to fill them and they give preference to OSU students.

Y'all will be just fine.
I agree with this sentiment. It really isn't as bad as I made it sound yesterday. I was just stressed (personal matters) and bitter AF about a couple of dumb things that aren't a big deal in the long run. This really is a great school and I'm lucky to be here.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with this sentiment. It really isn't as bad as I made it sound yesterday. I was just stressed (personal matters) and bitter AF about a couple of dumb things that aren't a big deal in the long run. This really is a great school and I'm lucky to be here.

But being dramatic is exponentially more fun

@AnatomyGrey12 @BoroPreMed92

Nah don't trip.

I honestly love this school, the only thing they have done that bugs me is the dress code because I am lazy and want to wear sweats everyday.

Admin is tripping about boards, but I know numerous 3rd and 4th years that SLAYED boards despite the curriculum. If you are a top student, you will get top scores no matter where you are at. Also the curriculum is lax so you can look for other opportunities to make yourself great. Example: I have led teams of residents in research projects, and have submitted 3 projects to journals top journals in their respective fields, I also have 6 more to be submitted by summer (6 of these 9 are first author) and I have only been in medical school 6 months.. I have just confirmed projects with faculty in our surgical subspecialties where I will lead a high up attending and a resident in projects this spring. You couldn't get that experience at most MD schools let alone DO schools. While doing all of this I have been doing board questions, having 2 date nights a week with my wife, and went to every home OSU football game and I thoroughly enjoy life (unlike all my friends at KCU and such getting hammered with their curriculums). I am convinced that OSU is giving me the opportunity to be the best DO residency applicant I could possibly be when the time comes, as well as allowing me to have other priorities like my wife, and thats what matters. I can deal with wearing scrubs in order to be at this school. Obviously you have to be able to grind for these outcomes, but if you have the drive you can make it happen at OSUCOM. And if you don't wanna be a super competitive applicant and just want a primary care spot then guess what? You can coast because OSU has more residency spots than people to fill them and they give preference to OSU students.

Y'all will be just fine.
WOW I like this!

Were measurables good? Did the interview portion bomb?
Measurables like stats? Did not experience any of the interview issues I feared; to all questions I had ready answers and was able to cover all areas of my strengths except where interviewers interrupted and asked me about a particular job/item. Really am blown away based on how much I enjoyed everyone there and was engaged from start to finish, yet something deserved an instant rejection?

Maybe we discussed an area that was of concern to interviewers yet I wasn't aware it was an issue? Like about choosing to leave a previous career?

IDK...There was a point where I was asked whether it was hard to switch from an industrial career to biology in deciding to pursue medicine. I laughed and mentioned how I killed a class.

I gave a good example of the types of problems in medicine and how I wanted to see the problem addressed (I mentioned TPA's cost of 4500-8500 a dose and how a colleague in my program was using transgenic plants to make the protein for ~$40 a dose) but blanked on what the medicine's acronym stood for (TPA). I played it off by explaining, "oh you know, the med people get during a stroke that must be administered within 3hrs to be effective..."

I was asked to explain how I would start a first tutoring session with a new student...Not sure my answer ("I try to jump right in to the student's current problems, teach him something in which he can immediately see practical value, and in my mind note fundamental gaps of his knowledge we should address at some point") was well-received.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Measurables like stats? Did not experience any of the interview issues I feared; to all questions I had ready answers and was able to cover all areas of my strengths except where interviewers interrupted and asked me about a particular job/item. Really am blown away based on how much I enjoyed everyone there and was engaged from start to finish, yet something deserved an instant rejection?

Maybe we discussed an area that was of concern to interviewers yet I wasn't aware it was an issue? Like about choosing to leave a previous career?

IDK...There was a point where I was asked whether it was hard to switch from an industrial career to biology in deciding to pursue medicine. I laughed and mentioned how I killed a class.

I gave a good example of the types of problems in medicine and how I wanted to see the problem addressed (I mentioned TPA's cost of 4500-8500 a dose and how a colleague in my program was using transgenic plants to make the protein for ~$40 a dose) but blanked on what the medicine's acronym stood for (TPA). I played it off by explaining, "oh you know, the med people get during a stroke that must be administered within 3hrs to be effective..."

I was asked to explain how I would start a first tutoring session with a new student...Not sure my answer ("I try to jump right in to the student's current problems, teach him something in which he can immediately see practical value, and in my mind note fundamental gaps of his knowledge we should address at some point") was well-received.

I don't know. All that sounds good. I was blown away by the number of people who flatly stated they didn't want to stay in Oklahoma and/or had no interest in rural medicine. I imagine they would be a major negative. Not sure that came up for you or not. Either way, rejection sucks. Sorry it wasn't your year with OSU-COM.

Only thing I can think of is that the bolded statements seem arrogant, and like you are unwilling to admit when you don't know something. I specifically know of a few questions they ask just to see if somebody will be willing to be humble and say "I don't know". But, it would take somebody being there to know how it was received. Maybe you could ask for some feedback from the ADCOMs?

Reactions: 3 users
Does the wording matter? I laughed at the biology question because of how naturally that subject has always come to me and how AP biology was the best class I've ever done in my life. I was trying to show confidence and to dissuade any possible doubt. Let's see...the only advice given to me (eventually) at last year's OU reapplicant workshop--"You need to get used to talking about topics you know almost nothing about. Ask someone you know in a random profession for which you are unfamiliar to do a mock interview with you; you need to become comfortable pulling from whatever random related experiences you can."

Does the wording matter? I laughed at the biology question because of how naturally that subject has always come to me and how AP biology was the best class I've ever done in my life. I was trying to show confidence and to dissuade any possible doubt. Let's see...the only advice given to me (eventually) at last year's OU reapplicant workshop--"You need to get used to talking about topics you know almost nothing about. Ask someone you know in a random profession for which you are unfamiliar to do a mock interview with you; you need to become comfortable pulling from whatever random related experiences you can."

Of course wording matters. Words are everything. Especially in this day and age where people act as if words are weapons... Words must be chosen carefully if you want people to agree or like what you have to say (admittedly I suck at this, but its all about knowing WHEN to pick your words carefully).

Im assuming you meant ATPase (alteplase- tissue plasminogen activator) for the med. First, you didn't know the medication which raises flags about what you really know about the medication or if you just found something to memorize and talk about (I'm not accusing, just trying to help you attack later Interviews) In my interview, I started talking about a few treatments I was familiar with and one of the first questions pertained to the pharmacodynamics/kinetics. He said, "I want to see if you know whats going on instead of memorizing drugs". Second, saying you killed one class can come off as arrogant, but even worse it can come off of as naive. IMO the biggest weakness in your post is laughing at the difficult transition question. The transition to med school is difficult for everyone in some way or another and the classes are not comparable to undergrad. Everyone WILL have a subject, section, or test that will not come easy for them and most of the adcom knows this. This should have been an opportunity to express your own weaknesses and how you plan to address these issues. This would have displayed humility, self-awareness, discipline, etc. Again, Im not trying to tear you down, but give you constructive criticism for your next interview.

Reactions: 2 users
:bow:
Im assuming you meant ATPase (alteplase- tissue plasminogen activator) for the med. First, you didn't know the medication which raises flags about what you really know about the medication or if you just found something to memorize and talk about (I'm not accusing, just trying to help you attack later Interviews) In my interview, I started talking about a few treatments I was familiar with and one of the first questions pertained to the pharmacodynamics/kinetics. He said, "I want to see if you know whats going on instead of memorizing drugs". Second, saying you killed one class can come off as arrogant, but even worse it can come off of as naive. IMO the biggest weakness in your post is laughing at the difficult transition question. The transition to med school is difficult for everyone in some way or another and the classes are not comparable to undergrad. Everyone WILL have a subject, section, or test that will not come easy for them and most of the adcom knows this. This should have been an opportunity to express your own weaknesses and how you plan to address these issues. This would have displayed humility, self-awareness, discipline, etc. Again, Im not trying to tear you down, but give you constructive criticism for your next interview.

Moving on!

Who is going to accepted student day in Feb?

I'm going! I'll introduce myself as Powerlifter101

Reactions: 1 users
Put it on your name tag

Wish I could come meet all of you, hopefully they do a second one in June so my wife and I can make it out

Thanks! This is enlightening.

I am going to both.

I really wish I could come to the one in Feb! Looks like I'll have to wait until June to meet everyone. Maybe by then a lot more will be accepted and in attendance!

Of course wording matters. Words are everything. Especially in this day and age where people act as if words are weapons... Words must be chosen carefully if you want people to agree or like what you have to say (admittedly I suck at this, but its all about knowing WHEN to pick your words carefully).
Ok well forget the "killed" sentence. That was me summarizing. I laughed in relief to the concern because I knew I had tackled that "issue" long ago; it was kind of like an exhale that took 2.2 seconds. I then proceeded to say, "biology has always been my best subject. In high school, AP Biology was the best class I've ever taken--I think I finished with a 102% in the class and got a 4 on the AP Exam--I'm still mad because I got robbed on that and feel I should have gotten a 5..."

Let the darts fly.

Those that have RSVP'd for Admitted Students Day. Did you get a confirmation email? I email the admissions email address to RSVP and never got a reply.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Those that have RSVP'd for Admitted Students Day. Did you get a confirmation email? I email the admissions email address to RSVP and never got a reply.

Emailed them yesterday and did not get a reply either. I

I haven't got a response yet!

I emailed them a few weeks ago to RSVP. I just want to make sure I wasn't the only one!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I haven't received anything, but I have found that the best email for such questions is Sarah Quinten. She is always quick to respond.

Theres somebody in our class whos application was complete march of last year lol so there is still time @MADD!!! . Maybe call and express interest?

What exactly goes down at accepted student day??

Theres somebody in our class whos application was complete march of last year lol so there is still time @MADD!!! . Maybe call and express interest?

If I call Sarah one more time she's going to withdraw my app!!! Ahahaa I've called a million times.... but oh well. Calling :)

If I call Sarah one more time she's going to withdraw my app!!! Ahahaa I've called a million times.... but oh well. Calling :)
Good luck my friend. I wonder how many calls she gets a day...

Hey guys, does anyone familiar with the area know anything about the condos at Astoria Point? It seems like a decent place online and has decent reviews but you never know if you can trust those things. They are located around E 31st street and S 129th Ave, is this a decent part of town?

Hey guys, does anyone familiar with the area know anything about the condos at Astoria Point? It seems like a decent place online and has decent reviews but you never know if you can trust those things. They are located around E 31st street and S 129th Ave, is this a decent part of town?
I will PM you.

Just checkin in... how is everyone doing? Any further communications or updates?