Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well I wasn't sure if they limited/didn't hold interviews in December because of Christmas and holiday season. It's not like it's posted on the website. Just wanted to inquire, that's all.

Parts of December are held off, I was just curious as to why you asked because I didn't know if you read it differently elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, all! Already submitted my secondary, but does anyone around the Oklahoma City area know of any DO's that are willing to have a shadow? Maybe I'm not making enough cold calls but it seems like I can't find many DOs besides the one that did my letter (who is a family friend) to shadow.

Hey incoming MS1 here. If you have any questions about the application process for OSU go ahead and ask. I had some students do the same for me last year and it was really helpful.

Hello! I just scheduled my OSU interview! I'm very excited, but in the confirmation email, it did not say anything about what the interviews will look like. Could you give me some insight? Are they one-on-one? Or a panel? And what kind of questions did you get asked? Any help would be very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I just scheduled my OSU interview! I'm very excited, but in the confirmation email, it did not say anything about what the interviews will look like. Could you give me some insight? Are they one-on-one? Or a panel? And what kind of questions did you get asked? Any help would be very much appreciated!
They are 2 on 1 interviews 30 minutes long. They mostly just ask about you as a person, some questions about activities on your application. View the interview feedback section here on SDN for more details.

Reactions: 2 users
I second Dr. Death on the forum feedback. It helped me a ton.

They are 2 on 1 interviews 30 minutes long. They mostly just ask about you as a person, some questions about activities on your application. View the interview feedback section here on SDN for more details.

Thanks! I appreciate your help. Where can I find the interview feedback forums? I'm really new to SDN and I haven't been able to find one for OSU-COM.

Hey I have two questions
1) Does it hurt you to click no for the "are you interested in the rural medicine track" question
2) Is the "additional information" question optional

Hey I have two questions
1) Does it hurt you to click no for the "are you interested in the rural medicine track" question

1. Didn't hurt me.
2. I believe so yes.

Caveat: I am OOS so I think they just assume that I am not interested in the rural track. But don't just click it because you think it will give you a better chance, in an interview they will see right through that.

Hey I have two questions

1) Nope! Doesn't hurt! I've asked this question of multiple members of the admissions committee and they don't favor applicants purely because they checked that box. That being said, the school does have a mission of educating primary care physicians to serve Oklahoma. If you're passionate about staying in Oklahoma or practicing rural medicine it definitely won't hurt you to talk about that in your application! However, if you check the box and you aren't interested in rural medicine you could really shoot yourself in the foot if they ask you some specific questions about it and you sound like you haven't thoroughly considered your interest. To my understanding checking that box is kind of like your admission into the RMT since I'm a first year student and they haven't asked us anything about it since then.

2) The question is totally optional and I have several friends who left it blank and are in my medical school class. If you want to, don't be afraid to put literally anything in that essay box. I wrote about something pretty unrelated to my application, and they actually appreciated it and asked me about it in my interview.

Neither are required to be accepted, and I'd argue neither really increase your chances of acceptance :)

Best of luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

1. Didn't hurt me.
2. I believe so yes.

Caveat: I am OOS so I think they just assume that I am not interested in the rural track. But don't just click it because you think it will give you a better chance, in an interview they will see right through that.
1) Nope! Doesn't hurt! I've asked this question of multiple members of the admissions committee and they don't favor applicants purely because they checked that box. That being said, the school does have a mission of educating primary care physicians to serve Oklahoma. If you're passionate about staying in Oklahoma or practicing rural medicine it definitely won't hurt you to talk about that in your application! However, if you check the box and you aren't interested in rural medicine you could really shoot yourself in the foot if they ask you some specific questions about it and you sound like you haven't thoroughly considered your interest. To my understanding checking that box is kind of like your admission into the RMT since I'm a first year student and they haven't asked us anything about it since then.

2) The question is totally optional and I have several friends who left it blank and are in my medical school class. If you want to, don't be afraid to put literally anything in that essay box. I wrote about something pretty unrelated to my application, and they actually appreciated it and asked me about it in my interview.

Neither are required to be accepted, and I'd argue neither really increase your chances of acceptance :)

Best of luck and let me know if you have any other questions!
thanks

Has anyone received a decision recently? If so, what was your interview date?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! Just received the call a few minutes ago.

Me too! Congratulations!

Do I stand a chance here? I'm about to apply.
3.4-3.6 gpa with 518-522 MCAT, OOS ORM

Do you just want to apply DO or are you applying both MD and DO? Your stats are really good, but ~9-10% OOS acceptance per class limits how many OOS interviews they give out. I think that would be your only downfall.

Are you applying this cycle or next? The short answer is yes, but how great they are probably depend on the cycle.
Do you just want to apply DO or are you applying both MD and DO? Your stats are really good, but ~9-10% OOS acceptance per class limits how many OOS interviews they give out. I think that would be your only downfall.
Applying now to DO, already applied MD some months ago with no luck

Last edited:
Do I stand a chance here? I'm about to apply.
3.4-3.6 gpa with 518-522 MCAT, OOS ORM

I was complete in January and was OOS. GPA was 3.9x and mcat about 10-12 points lower than yours and was offered an interview in January. As long as you don't have any red flags and can make a case for how you fit into the schools mission you will get interviewed I'd bet. I don't even consider you application late. Just get it in and you will be fine. Apply to KCU, CCOM, PCOM, OSU, RVU, KCOM and all the older and or good board scoring schools. Don't waist your time applying to the lower end DO schools, you will get accepted to one of the better ones as long as you have a personality.

II this afternoon!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Is there a Facebook page for the class of 2021?
From what I have heard, the school has an official Facebook page, but the students make their own as well so they can speak freely. I could be confusing this with another school, but I'm not in too much of a hurry to get on Facebook, lol. Are you from around Tulsa?

Current Students:
MacBook Pro vs MacBook Air
Need a new computer!

What has been the average wait time for admissions decisions after interviewing?

I'm so excited to start school :clap:

Can undergrad just be over? +pissed+

Reactions: 1 users
Current Students:
Need a new computer!

PRO. I have an iPad pro and macbook pro and love it. Pro also has more plugins. However, I don't know how you take notes but I think an iPad pro 12 inch with the keyboard would be sufficient. I take notes on my ppt slides, and do everything for school on mine. The only thing I use my macbook pro for is google searches because the iPad pro is so versatile. You DO NOT need a laptop for testing or anything like that. We do have the occasional take home quiz on the laptops tho.

Thanks for the info! Is the iPad Pro similar to Windows Surface? The Windows Surface was mentioned to me as an option, but Apple products seem
to withstand time better.

Any out of state students been shown any love yet? This is still one of my top choices!

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Any out of state students been shown any love yet? This is still one of my top choices!

I have! But I was the only true OOS person at my interview. The other guy was from Texas I think but he went to OU. It's still early, just be patient.

I have! But I was the only true OOS person at my interview. The other guy was from Texas I think but he went to OU. It's still early, just be patient.

Some have, but hopefully we'll both hear something soon!
Ugh, I know patience is essential. I have acceptances elsewhere but I would totally attend the interview here if I was offered one. Hoping us three will get some good news in the near future!

Thanks for the info! Is the iPad Pro similar to Windows Surface? The Windows Surface was mentioned to me as an option, but Apple products seem
to withstand time better.

I had a surface pro for 2 weeks (replaced my old macbook) then gave it to my little brother and got another macbook... Apple is simply better. I am not a techy person so I don't care about the ins and outs all I care about is usability and apple wins by a lot IMO. iPad pro is just a really powerful iPad but the keyboard is AMAZING for a tablet keyboard and the apple pencil is perfect for taking notes on slides.

Current Students:
Need a new computer!

I would go with the macbook pro. I bought one of the 15' macbook retinas when I started medical school and have loved it. I feel like it was a great investment for me because I'm a huge audio/video learner and spent a lot of time rematching lectures to study. You could also go the external monitor route but that would limit the amount of places you could study, and I would switch up my study areas. Also, current 3rd year here. If anybody has questions about pre-clinical curriculum/boards/rotations feel free to ask or PM! I really love my time spent at OSU and hope I can help some of you guys out.

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving! Anyone else feel like they're taking a long time to give out interviews? I was complete on September 30 and still haven't received an interview.

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving! Anyone else feel like they're taking a long time to give out interviews? I was complete on September 30 and still haven't received an interview.

Interviews just started in October. OSU runs later than other schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile