Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today! IS - LizzyM 67! So excited!!!

What day? Hit me up if you have any questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
TIPS FOR THE INTERVIEW @futurephysician4137 @Dogmom93 (and everyone else that gets one)

1) Congrats!

2) Go to the class page here on SDN and look for the interview feedback section. Here you can find commonly asked questions. OSU seems to have near the same questions every year so this will be really helpful. (HINT: Know 5 drugs and their function, and commonly they will ask "Teach us something" and you just teach them something random)

3) Make a bulleted list of general reasons why you wanna be a physician, why osteopathic medicine, and why you feel you would be good at both of those. DONT REHEARSE answers, however do have a game plan for navigating and expressing yourself. As an example, when I was interviewing at schools last year and they asked me this, I would remember my bulleted reasons why, and then pretty much every interview I put a different spin on it based on what flowed naturally in that interview. I stuck to the same theme, but different filler everytime. This will help you stay on track, not ramble, and express your points without sounding uninformed/nervous.

3) Relax, its a super chill interview.

4) Don't be shy about asking questions! Make sure you pepper students with questions because you deserve to know everything about a school before you decide whether or not to attend if accepted. I wish I would have asked more questions.

DM me if you have any questions or need some advice/tips.

TIPS FOR THE INTERVIEW @futurephysician4137 @Dogmom93 (and everyone else that gets one)

1) Congrats!

2) Go to the class page here on SDN and look for the interview feedback section. Here you can find commonly asked questions. OSU seems to have near the same questions every year so this will be really helpful. (HINT: Know 5 drugs and their function, and commonly they will ask "Teach us something" and you just teach them something random)

3) Make a bulleted list of general reasons why you wanna be a physician, why osteopathic medicine, and why you feel you would be good at both of those. DONT REHEARSE answers, however do have a game plan for navigating and expressing yourself. As an example, when I was interviewing at schools last year and they asked me this, I would remember my bulleted reasons why, and then pretty much every interview I put a different spin on it based on what flowed naturally in that interview. I stuck to the same theme, but different filler everytime. This will help you stay on track, not ramble, and express your points without sounding uninformed/nervous.

4) Don't be shy about asking questions! Make sure you pepper students with questions because you deserve to know everything about a school before you decide whether or not to attend if accepted. I wish I would have asked more questions.

This is great advice. I'd add that you need to come up with something to say if/when they ask "Tell me about yourself." That way you aren't rambling and stuttering.

That sucks! Having a D.o. letter is honestly retarted. These schools need to realize how difficult is to shadow a doctor and then get a LOR after that.

I understand your frustration with the system, but please understand that you are applying to a program that will allow you to be in a position where people literally entrust you with their lives. The least you could do is be mindful of your words when representing your future career. You are going to have patients with learning disabilities, and although it may not have seemed like a "big deal" in your high school or undergrad, it does matter what you say and that you are aware of the impact of your words. I disagree with your opinion that a D.O. letter to a D.O. school should not be required, but I respect that that is what you believe.

Maybe next time try some words like - Having a D.O letter is honestly:
Ridiculous, silly, overkill, unnecessary, excessive, stupid, etc.

Best of luck to you and your future classmates with your applications and interviews!

Reactions: 2 users
That sucks! Having a D.o. letter is honestly retarted. These schools need to realize how difficult is to shadow a doctor and then get a LOR after that.

If you are going to use words like ******ed, you should probably at least learn how to spell it. I however do not think it is too much to ask, if you are committed to this path then you should be able to jump through the hoops. That simple.

Reactions: 6 users
If you are going to use words like ******ed, you should probably at least learn how to spell it. I however do not think it is too much to ask, if you are committed to this path then you should be able to jump through the hoops. That simple.
Your an idiot, I was on my phone. Lol

I understand your frustration with the system, but please understand that you are applying to a program that will allow you to be in a position where people literally entrust you with their lives. The least you could do is be mindful of your words when representing your future career. You are going to have patients with learning disabilities, and although it may not have seemed like a "big deal" in your high school or undergrad, it does matter what you say and that you are aware of the impact of your words. I disagree with your opinion that a D.O. letter to a D.O. school should not be required, but I respect that that is what you believe.

Maybe next time try some words like - Having a D.O letter is honestly:
Ridiculous, silly, overkill, unnecessary, excessive, stupid, etc.

Best of luck to you and your future classmates with your applications and interviews!
I made a mistake, I should have used some better words I apologize.

GEToutLADYits6AM said:

Having a D.O. Letter is one of the simplest ways to weed out those individuals who aren't driven enough to go out and find a D.O. To shadow and ask for a letter. You have YEARS to prepare for your application materials and you can always wait another cycle to apply if you're still trying to finish your app. Odds are, in the VERY rare case that there is no D.O. Within a reasonable radius, then it can easily call into question your desire to apply to become a D.O. Given you have no experience with them in the first place. OSU has an IS bias of ~90%, therefore it is reasonable to ask for a letter from a D.O. In a state that has had a D.O. School since the 70's.

Members don't see this ad :)

1) Congrats!

Can you post a link to the interview feedback forum? When you say that I should know 5 drugs and their functions, do you mean that's it's possible that the interview would ask me to list these 5 different drugs to him/her?

Your an idiot, I was on my phone. Lol

I promise you wouldn't fit in with the friendly nature of our school. I'd pull my app if I were you so you didn't have to come to a school full of idiots.

Reactions: 3 users
Can you post a link to the interview feedback forum? When you say that I should know 5 drugs and their functions, do you mean that's it's possible that the interview would ask me to list these 5 different drugs to him/her?
at the top of your screen should be a tab that says "interview feedback"! Go there and then find OSU

1) Congrats!

Thank you so much! These were all super helpful!!

Yes, there is one interviewer who will ask you to name 5 drugs and their functions, name a fungal, bacterial, and viral infection, or teach me something. However, these questions are only to gauge how well you handle pressure. You shouldn't get all of these questions since the interviewers who ask these do not usually interview in the same group. You got this :)

I promise you wouldn't fit in with the friendly nature of our school. I'd pull my app if I were you so you didn't have to come to a school full of idiots.
You're a good guy/girl, honestly. What you say is true - OSU is a SUPER friendly school and team work is key.

Really - Don't stress about the interview or these types of questions. If you are prepared for them, that's great... but if you aren't prepared for them it's okay to not have an answer. Remember that you are only a pre-medical student at this point! Drugs and then functions are something that you hope to learn by coming to this school! Do your best to answer every question you're given, but it isn't the end of the world if you don't have an answer! Just be professional about how you respond if that happens.

Be yourself and enjoy your 30 or so minutes in your interview! Mine flew by, I was only asked 7 questions, and I feel like my interviewers did just as much talking about themselves as I did about myself!

Congrats to those of you that have received interview invites!

I scored a 507 on the MCAT and have a 4.0. I was complete July 12th. I was hoping to get an early interview, but nothing yet. Any thoughts?

I scored a 507 on the MCAT and have a 4.0. I was complete July 12th. I was hoping to get an early interview, but nothing yet. Any thoughts?

The process is a total mystery. I would not be too concerned. It is very early and you have awesome stats.

The process is a total mystery. I would not be too concerned. It is very early and you have awesome stats.
I have looked some, but I can't tell if it's rolling admission or what. And thank you!

One thing I have noticed about this school is that stats really aren't of their biggest concern. What is? RURAL OKLAHOMA is life to them haha. So, don't count yourself out but I am just trying to make the point that your stats won't exactly buy you a spot either. I would be surprised if you don't get an interview invite if you are in-state tho.

Reactions: 1 users
I have to agree with DNC for the most part - Oklahoma State's matriculating class is composed mostly of Oklahoma Residents (~90% or ~100 students/yr). Depending on the year and how many applications were sent to OSU that year, it could be possible that the vast majority of In-State residents could receive II's. However, with such a vast increase in the number of applicants each year I would venture to guess that it is highly unlikely anymore. Although, I do believe that if you put forth enough effort to show your dedication and willingness to succeed in medical school, then you will almost certainly receive an II. Everyone on here has shown promise in their personalities and I have yet to meet someone on this new sub-forum who I don't believe would make a good fit at OSU (Unless I missed something). Best of luck to all of you! =D

One thing I have noticed about this school is that stats really aren't of their biggest concern. What is? RURAL OKLAHOMA is life to them haha. So, don't count yourself out but I am just trying to make the point that your stats won't exactly buy you a spot either. I would be surprised if you don't get an interview invite if you are in-state tho.
I am from rural Oklahoma, and actually talked about wanting to work in a rural area in one of my essays. I understand what you're saying though, thank you!

I am from rural Oklahoma, and actually talked about wanting to work in a rural area in one of my essays. I understand what you're saying though, thank you!

Then don't trip! You'll be fine. Patience is the hardest part of applying to medical school!

Having a D.O. Letter is one of the simplest ways to weed out those individuals who aren't driven enough to go out and find a D.O. To shadow and ask for a letter. You have YEARS to prepare for your application materials and you can always wait another cycle to apply if you're still trying to finish your app. Odds are, in the VERY rare case that there is no D.O. Within a reasonable radius, then it can easily call into question your desire to apply to become a D.O. Given you have no experience with them in the first place. OSU has an IS bias of ~90%, therefore it is reasonable to ask for a letter from a D.O. In a state that has had a D.O. School since the 70's.

What I am saying is our classes stats vary so much that stats can't be admissions primary focus.

What I am saying is our classes stats vary so much that stats can't be admissions primary focus.
Yes, and I agree 100%. However, that's how every school is..or at least claims to be..lol

For what its worth, when I interviewed last year it was super relaxed. I think I had the "tell me about yourself" question, and I recall a "what do you do to relieve stress" question. Other than that... it was a conversation... like we were laughing and making jokes, talking about movies and current events... like, really really really relaxed. We even went over on time by like 10 minutes.

congrats to all those interviewing! it is a really exciting time, don't stress too much! come in, be relaxed, ask students questions. Remember to be friendly with everyone!

II today! Scheduled for October 27th! MCAT=507, GPA=4.0, and I'm an Oklahoma resident.

Reactions: 2 users
Nice job, SOSO17! My LizzyM is about the same as yours, but I finished my secondary about 2 weeks ago (and I heard it may be longer since my GPA is lower too). Looks like you've got a great shot at making it though!

DNC127 / OrdinaryDO: Looking over the interview feedback, would you add anything to this list of interview questions?

Why you want to do what you’re applying for:
-Why DO / OSU / rural / do you want to be a physician?

What makes you a unique and good candidate:
-Hobbies, proud accomplishment, overcoming academics, manage stress / bad news, tell me about yourself

How do you think critically / quickly:
-Challenges to healthcare, how to fix healthcare, teach me something, name 5 drugs, negative physician qualities

I've heard of them asking a "what superpower would you want" question, but didn't get that one last year. I did get one from each section above last year though (why I want to be a physician, tell me about yourself - probably always asked, and teach me something).

Nice job, SOSO17! My LizzyM is about the same as yours, but I finished my secondary about 2 weeks ago (and I heard it may be longer since my GPA is lower too). Looks like you've got a great shot at making it though!

DNC127 / OrdinaryDO: Looking over the interview feedback, would you add anything to this list of interview questions?

Why you want to do what you’re applying for:
-Why DO / OSU / rural / do you want to be a physician?

What makes you a unique and good candidate:
-Hobbies, proud accomplishment, overcoming academics, manage stress / bad news, tell me about yourself

How do you think critically / quickly:
-Challenges to healthcare, how to fix healthcare, teach me something, name 5 drugs, negative physician qualities

I've heard of them asking a "what superpower would you want" question, but didn't get that one last year. I did get one from each section above last year though (why I want to be a physician, tell me about yourself - probably always asked, and teach me something).

I got asked to name the one thing I am most proud of from the past 4 years. But just like DNC mentioned, it was more of just a conversation - my interview went about 5-10 minutes over because my interviewers were telling me all about their lives as well as me sharing my own experiences.

I have looked some, but I can't tell if it's rolling admission or what. And thank you!

It is rolling admission, but they will save spots to make sure they still have some left in February/March. The waitlist exists early because they may really like a student, but they have to ensure that they don't fill everything up too soon. I interviewed in really late February last year and 4 people from my interview were accepted. I also talked to someone from the very last interview date last year and she said that at least two students were accepted from that date. :)

Moral of the story to everyone - don't stress if you don't get an interview right away! I had a friend submit his application on June 1st at midnight or whatever the day was that the application opened. He did not receive an interview until March, but he was accepted directly (no waitlist) after his interview.

Don't let people discourage you just because you don't hear back right away!

How are interviews setup? Do they do mostly IS applicants first and then start in on OOS people? Or are interviews fairly mixed? I ask because my state schools accepts ~90% of its class from IS and we all interview first before they even consider OOS people.

How are interviews setup? Do they do mostly IS applicants first and then start in on OOS people? Or are interviews fairly mixed? I ask because my state schools accepts ~90% of its class from IS and we all interview first before they even consider OOS people.
I was in the 1st interview group last year and there were 4 IS and 3 OOS. All 3 OOS were accepted as well as at least 1 IS

Biology with a chem minor!
Nice..I don't mean for this to come off as rude, but I am just genuinely curious. I haven't met many Biology Majors (especially those with chemistry minors which usually include taking analytical chemistry to obtain) graduate with a straight 4.0, so you must be pretty bright. However, what happened with your MCAT score? I would think you could be capable of doing much better if you did so well in your undergraduate years. Though about retaking it at all?

I have 3 former classmates who are MS2's at OSU that were high 3.9x(maybe 1 B freshman year)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using SDN mobile

I just went back and noticed this post. I just wanted to say that many people think of rural Oklahoma as ghost town type of places where only a few hundred people love. However, according to rural stats the population can range from 1 - 25,000 residents and still be considered rural. There are some good towns and cities within that population range that are listed as rural and underserved. These cities are located close to some other major cities like Catoosa, Oklahoma City, and Tulsa. I only quoted your post to let people know about the Oklahoma Rural Community!

I have 3 former classmates who are MS2's at OSU that were high 3.9x(maybe 1 B freshman year)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using SDN mobile
That's not a 4.0 and he has a minor in chemistry and I'm talking about his GPA with relation to his MCAT score. Some schools may be harder than others, but 3.9s and 4.0s are much different.

Edit: I wasn't meaning for my post to come off as condescending if that's what it seems. I am just curious as to why not retake the MCAT, because there are a TON of schools that would open up to a 4.0 with a Major/Minor.

I just went back and noticed this post. I just wanted to say that many people think of rural Oklahoma as ghost town type of places where only a few hundred people love. However, according to rural stats the population can range from 1 - 25,000 residents and still be considered rural. There are some good towns and cities within that population range that are listed as rural and underserved. These cities are located close to some other major cities like Catoosa, Oklahoma City, and Tulsa. I only quoted your post to let people know about the Oklahoma Rural Community!

Truth. I grew up in rural Oklahoma, but haven't been an OK resident in almost 10 years. I lived closest to a town of ~12k people and it was small, but not the way people generally think of rural. It's a great part of the country, highways excepting, and many places are within a less than one hour drive to all sorts of activities and big Midwestern city appeal. I applied here even OOS because OK is still where I consider home!