Penn, Yale, Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdhouse

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone feel that there is at least a small difference in how these schools are viewed by residency directors or are they essentially considered to be on the same tier... and hence I should just choose based on where I want to live?

A complicating factor for me is my interest in cancer biology research but I feel like all of these institutions are strong in this, although Yale is probably weakest among the three.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone feel that there is at least a small difference in how these schools are viewed by residency directors or are they essentially considered to be on the same tier... and hence I should just choose based on where I want to live?

A complicating factor for me is my interest in cancer biology research but I feel like all of these institutions are strong in this, although Yale is probably weakest among the three.

Not to be rude, but you will probably get better responses to this question in the allopathic part of SDN :thumbup:

ooooh bahaha yeah this really shouldn't be here

Members don't see this ad :)
Duke. Can't beat having the entire 3rd year set aside for the research you're interested in.

The prestige levels are so close its negligible IMO.

No there won't be any difference. I'd go with Yale if you want a stress free (except step 1 studying) med school experience, or Duke for the maximum possible resume building for academic medicine. I think Penn is a great school too and their accelerated curriculum would give you a lot of time to study for the boards or do extra clinicals!

OP, are you MSTP? In that case, you might pay some attention to the individual faculty members that you think you would like to work with. Then again, your interests may change, you might not get the adviser you want, he/she might leave and yada yada. Also, Duke would mean graduating a year earlier rather than necessarily "maximum resume building".

In terms of prestige, I think they are way too close for you to actually use it to make your decision in favor of other factors. I do like Yale's particularly self-driven system, but since among the three I only interviewed at Duke, I can't really compare them.

Good luck and congratulations on those amazing acceptances! :luck:

I changed my mind. Go to Penn. All schools have amazing research opportunities and will set you up for life. But your medical school experience should extend beyond your campus walls. Philly (and Penn) has a lot more to offer you in this regard.

Good luck and congratulations. Those are amazing choices.

Last edited:
Yale - because they put out the highest percentage of academicians out of all three schools. Yale has a strong cancer research program - I don't know how it compares to the others, but I have heard more about Yale research (while working at MGH) than Duke or Penn.

Also, you can't beat the Yale system for the flexibility to pursue your interests. I think you'll probably have more time to do research there. Plus it sounds like Yale is more encouraging of a fifth year than the other two. I don't know if you are planning on doing that. Yale has a bigger name that the other two, yes even in medicine. Internationally people know more about Yale than the other two. My discussions with residency directors and physicians is that Yale is a different class of its own. It is the not Harvard as opposed to the Harvard of the South. Yale is a smaller institution with lots of money (have you seen their endowment?). Yale is also considered one of the most research oriented medical schools, even if you were not planning on a fifth year, this will help you during the match.

You'll have a whole year to do research if you go to Duke. These schools are equivalent in reputation, research opportunities whatever. I'd choose the school based on your interests, where you want to live, cost, whatever. I liked Duke the most of these 3.

Yale - because they put out the highest percentage of academicians out of all three schools. Yale has a strong cancer research program - I don't know how it compares to the others, but I have heard more about Yale research (while working at MGH) than Duke or Penn.

Also, you can't beat the Yale system for the flexibility to pursue your interests. I think you'll probably have more time to do research there. Plus it sounds like Yale is more encouraging of a fifth year than the other two. I don't know if you are planning on doing that. Yale has a bigger name that the other two, yes even in medicine. Internationally people know more about Yale than the other two. My discussions with residency directors and physicians is that Yale is a different class of its own. It is the not Harvard as opposed to the Harvard of the South. Yale is a smaller institution with lots of money (have you seen their endowment?). Yale is also considered one of the most research oriented medical schools, even if you were not planning on a fifth year, this will help you during the match.

Completely disagree with this. Yale is the weakest of the three in terms of having a bigger name in medicine. I would say the pecking order is Penn >= Duke >> Yale. Again, splitting hairs since they're all good, but I would not put Yale above Duke or Penn in terms of prestige/research. Yale does have some good research in cancer, but I can't think of anything else they are particularly strong at. Yale is home to some very malignant residency programs, and while some of them are strong programs, they don't compare to Penn's or Duke's. Check Yale's match lists, very few stay at Yale for this reason (also probably the New Haven factor). Every top school encourages research and the possibility of doing a fifth year, I don't see that as an advantage of Yale's. Yale is known more internationally because of its undergrad, not because of its med school.

My vote would be Penn then Yale and Duke last because I'm a northeast person. Yale is definitely more laid back (P/F unlike Penn), which is an important consideration, but I would definitely prefer Philadelphia over New Haven.

Completely disagree with this. Yale is the weakest of the three in terms of having a bigger name in medicine. I would say the pecking order is Penn >= Duke >> Yale. Again, splitting hairs since they're all good, but I would not put Yale above Duke or Penn in terms of prestige/research. Yale does have some good research in cancer, but I can't think of anything else they are particularly strong at. Yale is home to some very malignant residency programs, and while some of them are strong programs, they don't compare to Penn's or Duke's. Check Yale's match lists, very few stay at Yale for this reason (also probably the New Haven factor). Every top school encourages research and the possibility of doing a fifth year, I don't see that as an advantage of Yale's. Yale is known more internationally because of its undergrad, not because of its med school.

My vote would be Penn then Yale and Duke last because I'm a northeast person. Yale is definitely more laid back (P/F unlike Penn), which is an important consideration, but I would definitely prefer Philadelphia over New Haven.

I stand corrected. You are probably right. My mentors in Boston have had more of a Yale connection that the other two - I am guessing their opinions (and mine too) to be biased towards them. My estimation of Yale's prestige is in part due to the undergrad as well. OP should take my advice with a grain of salt. I personally would pick Penn over Yale and Duke because Philly trumps Durham and New Haven.

I stand corrected. You are probably right. My mentors in Boston have had more of a Yale connection that the other two - I am guessing their opinions (and mine too) to be biased towards them. My estimation of Yale's prestige is in part due to the undergrad as well. OP should take my advice with a grain of salt. I personally would pick Penn over Yale and Duke because Philly trumps Durham and New Haven.

It's really just splitting hairs because all three schools are top 10. That's why these threads are just silly.

Also Yale does seem to have a greater connection with the Harvard-affiliated hospitals than Duke does. I would definitely consider that an advantage.

Last edited:

I'd have to wholeheartedly agree with jbz24 in everything that he said. In terms of medicine out of the three it is clearly Penn>Duke>Yale. The difference between the three is not big enough to make your decision based on that. But that is how the 3 medical schools are perceived nationally and even internationally. Yale is known as an institution more internationally because of their endowment/undergrad. I think the most important thing to consider in this decision is what was has already been echoed already. The curriculum are so different in the three schools. I know that preclinical is not too important in terms of residency but it is still how you will digest information before you take the STEPS also some schools may give you more time to do rotations and Duke will give you the most research time of the three. So take that for what is worth. Also you will be in your given city for at least 4 years so you need to know yourself and where you think you will enjoy yourself. Sorry I didn't add anything but basically regurgitated what everyone has already said.

Thanks for all the advice guys

I really like having lots of trees around me and outdoor activities are important to me, although missing out on Philly restaurants will suck, I'm probably headed to Duke. The lower cost of living is also appealing.

I was gonna say Yale all the way. I really like their pass/fail curriculum and great match list.

all three of those are awesome. Congrats on your success and hard work!!! best of luck

yale. again, for the hockey. :thumbup:

Thanks for all the advice guys

I really like having lots of trees around me and outdoor activities are important to me, although missing out on Philly restaurants will suck, I'm probably headed to Duke. The lower cost of living is also appealing.

Amen to that. Good choice. See you in the fall :)

Status
Not open for further replies.