2020-2021 Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone who interviewed during their last week of interviews get an A?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bye guys :( their process kind of felt like a slap in the face. To wrap up giving acceptances on Friday at 3 pm and give the accepted students the weekend to celebrate, but wait until first thing Monday morning to hit the hundreds of other applicants with bad news is extremely out of touch with the majority of their applicants. Congrats to all accepted!!
Duke adcoms if you’re reading this, multiple people have made this exact comment on sdn every single year since 2016, do better.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone have MSAR and can access Duke's waitlist data? Trying to see what the chances are here

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have MSAR and can access Duke's waitlist data? Trying to see what the chances are here
MSAR says about 20 applicants receive A’s from the waitlist. The waitlist is also listed as being about 100-125 people.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone who interviewed during their last week of interviews get an A?
I can’t remember which date was their last week of interviews. But I interviewed 2/4, which was one of their last interview dates, and received an A.

WL. Do we have to accept our waitlist position or only email back if we don't want to take it?

Congrats to everyone accepted! Do we need to do anything for financial aid other than the FAFSA?

Congrats to everyone accepted! Do we need to do anything for financial aid other than the FAFSA?
Yeah, Duke requires the beast CSS profile. You need yours and your parents W-2s and tax returns for 2019.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, Duke requires the beast CSS profile. You need yours and your parents W-2s and tax returns for 2019.
When would we need to submit the CSS profile by? I don't remember seeing anything about this in the acceptance email or anything mentioning how we hold our acceptance other than the $100 deposit due by April 30th.

When would we need to submit the CSS profile by? I don't remember seeing anything about this in the acceptance email or anything mentioning how we hold our acceptance other than the $100 deposit due by April 30th.
April 1st :)
Duke understands that we probably won't submit until after we have an A in hand so they are pretty flexible.

R this morning. I got yelled at and cut off multiple times by one of my interviewers. I thought it was a stress test but I guess they genuinely hated me. Congrats to everyone that got the A!
I know it’s hard but rejection from a school doesn’t dictate your worth, intelligence, or future! All of us have faced rejection this past year (yes some more than others) but we are all here to support each other! You got it and you have just as much potential to be everything you want to be ❤️
PS. I am 99.99% sure that one of them was a stress test because yeah one of them was brutal. They didn’t hate you!

• Care
R this morning. I got yelled at and cut off multiple times by one of my interviewers. I thought it was a stress test but I guess they genuinely hated me. Congrats to everyone that got the A!
Hey hey don't worry!! It was a stress test almost certainly -- they definitely don't hate you and they reject like half the people who interview -- this did not come down to you as a person or who you are. The process is chaotic and it hurts a ton, but I assure you it doesn't define your worth or really anything about you at all, and I really mean that genuinely. This cycle is especially tough for some reason, maybe it's the increase in applicants, not really sure. I know how you feel though, so feel free to DM me if you need anything.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey hey don't worry!! It was a stress test almost certainly -- they definitely don't hate you and they reject like half the people who interview -- this did not come down to you as a person or who you are. The process is chaotic and it hurts a ton, but I assure you it doesn't define your worth or really anything about you at all, and I really mean that genuinely. This cycle is especially tough for some reason, maybe it's the increase in applicants, not really sure. I know how you feel though, so feel free to DM me if you need anything.
Post II R

Does anyone know if they make an admitted students facebook group or something along those lines to get more info about housing and things like that

Does anyone know if they make an admitted students facebook group or something along those lines to get more info about housing and things like that
I was told that there is usually FB page that is dead and usually a group chat but Idk if they like the group chat was made by admitted students themselves or not. I assume we will hear more once the FB page is created (unless it already is hahah)

Post-II WL. Hurts, but I am thankful for making it this far! Congrats to all those accepted, Duke is such a special community.

As someone who was waitlisted here last year, I do not remember exactly, but I do remember that the instructions on the secondary portal were clear so I would check there.
No instructions/ changes on my portal. Any other WL people see changes to their portal or know if we have to email andrea back to accept the spot?

No instructions/ changes on my portal. Any other WL people see changes to their portal or know if we have to email andrea back to accept the spot?
The email only seems to imply to email back if you don't want to accept the WL spot

WL today, a little sad (especially after getting hit with the UChicago WL on Friday) but not surprised lol

i specifically scheduled a therapy appointment at the end of feb assuming they would reject me by then so if they come at me with the R on march 1st i’m gonna be tight
I wrote this previous post as a joke, but not only did I get the R March 1st post-therapy, I also got a call from an out-of-area number this morning and they asked for me, which I answered very enthusiastically thinking it might be Duke. It was not. They were calling to inform me that my grandpa had died. About 20 minutes later I got the R from Duke. Two hours later a blizzard hit while I was driving and I totaled my car. I’m just saying if adcoms had sent out decisions when they said they would and stuck to their word, today would have been at least a little easier.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 20 users
I’m just saying if adcoms had sent out decisions when they said they would and stuck to their word, today would have been at least a little easier.
I am so incredibly sorry to hear that. My condolences for your grandpa. I can’t imagine having the disappointment of decisions (as someone who also didn’t get in) being compounded by tragedy and other unfortunate circumstances. Thoughts and prayers are with you ❤️

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I am so incredibly sorry to hear that. My condolences for your grandpa. I can’t imagine having the disappointment of decisions (as someone who also didn’t get in) being compounded by tragedy and other unfortunate circumstances. Thoughts and prayers are with you ❤️
Thank you ♥️I know this isn’t the place to complain about my personal life, I just think that adcoms are way too nonchalant with the promptness of their responses and how it affects their applicants.

I wrote this previous post as a joke, but not only did I get the R March 1st post-therapy, I also got a call from an out-of-area number this morning and they asked for me, which I answered very enthusiastically thinking it might be Duke. It was not. They were calling to inform me that my grandpa had died. About 20 minutes later I got the R from Duke. Two hours later a blizzard hit while I was driving and I totaled my car. I’m just saying if adcoms had sent out decisions when they said they would and stuck to their word, today would have been at least a little easier.
I’m sorry to hear about your grandpa. I agree adcoms should be more considerate of applicants in giving responses. I hope better things come your way very soon.

• Care
I’m so incredibly sorry. I agree that adcoms should have kept their word and sent decisions (A, WL, or R) rather than leave everyone in limbo until today. I wish for nothing but immensely good fortune on you, your family, and your future endeavors, and I send you my condolences. ❤️

• Care
Sorry to hear. Appreciated your positivity last week
Thank you for the kind words!
I know I’ll be a physician so although it’s never nice to be rejected, holding my head up high! And so many other qualified applicants out there. Must have been hard for Duke to decide who to accept! But no one is less worthy than anyone else, and the school you go to does not dictate how good of a physician you will be

• Love
Has anyone heard word of any FB group or group chat to get in contact with additional resources and our potential classmates?

I was told that the group chat was student created. So if anyone wants to create a groupme we could do that and then share it in the FB page when we get invited to it by Duke Med
Also I decided to just make one so if anyone wants to join here’s the link!!
We can use this until a more “official” one is created (if one ever is created lol)

Are all interviews done. No Pre-II yet. Complete since Aug. Twiddling and anxious.

Twiddling is hopeful than seeking that Potential Pre-IIR if it is already up there. Need to be in good place mentally till the prospects clarify in the next few weeks. Until then or till they email, I live in hope for an II.

Any Duke Med students lurking around the forums? Would like to reach out and ask some questions as a non-trad OOS applicant. :)

I'm super happy to have been accepted here! However, I'm very unfamiliar with Durham and have read a bit about safety issues in the area surrounding Duke. Can anyone who is more familiar with the area speak to this?

I'm super happy to have been accepted here! However, I'm very unfamiliar with Durham and have read a bit about safety issues in the area surrounding Duke. Can anyone who is more familiar with the area speak to this?
I went to Duke, and currently live in Durham. Mostly it's overhyped. It's a city, so the normal caveats of being careful apply, but I've never felt unsafe here. Duke has a van service that you can call if you need to get back to your apartment late at night. Any metropolitan area is going to have the same if not more "safety issues."

So.. we don't have to do anything to accept the acceptance, yes? I've read through everything like 3 times but it's just so odd to me, I was hoping someone could confirm? Like nothing until the april 15/30th AAMC stuff?

So.. we don't have to do anything to accept the acceptance, yes? I've read through everything like 3 times but it's just so odd to me, I was hoping someone could confirm? Like nothing until the april 15/30th AAMC stuff?
Yeah that's right, I emailed admissions and they said just AAMC CYMS and the $100 deposit by April 30th.

I'm also wondering if people could speak to life in Durham - things to do, quality of life, etc. Thanks!!