PennVet Clinical rotations question from potential V'20

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polarbear531

PennVet V'20, gonna be a vet!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know this may sound weird, but I'm choosing between two schools right now and Penn is one of them. I was wondering what the clinical rotations look like (i.e. what are the 6 required, how do externships work at Penn, etc.) I want to do poultry med which basically means I'll need an MAM afterwards anyways, but I want the best possible chance to be ready for a career in poultry after leaving vet school.
I greatly appreciate any and all help!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I was a small animal major who never set foot in "chicken city," but I'll try to answer the basics. Unless they've changed it over the past seven months, "clinical year" at Penn is a bit of a misnomer. A twelve-month year of clinicals was required, but starting in the spring semester of third year, you had the option of skipping additional elective lecture courses and spending either half or all of the semester in clinics. Most people who wanted to do a lot of externships used that time to do it. Since there's only so much room on the in-hospital clinical rotations, third year students entering clinics early are pressured to spend much of that time on electives. You just have to get them approved first. And by "first," I mean months in advance.

As far as core rotations, the required ones were:
Large animal medicine
Large animal surgery
Large animal ECC (all 3 of which focused mostly on horses with the occasional cow, sheep, or goat thrown in)
Small animal soft tissue surgery
Small animal medicine (which was 4 weeks, so twice as long as a normal rotation)

Beyond that, everyone declares a major (SA, LA, Mixed, ect) and that major comes with its own set of requirements. A lot of students found that the mixed animal major was the best fit for people with specialized interests since it had fewer hard-and-fast requirements and left more flexibility to take what you wanted to take.

Good luck going forward. "Two schools to choose between" is a nice problem to have!

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I was a small animal major who never set foot in "chicken city," but I'll try to answer the basics. Unless they've changed it over the past seven months, "clinical year" at Penn is a bit of a misnomer. A twelve-month year of clinicals was required, but starting in the spring semester of third year, you had the option of skipping additional elective lecture courses and spending either half or all of the semester in clinics. Most people who wanted to do a lot of externships used that time to do it. Since there's only so much room on the in-hospital clinical rotations, third year students entering clinics early are pressured to spend much of that time on electives. You just have to get them approved first. And by "first," I mean months in advance.

Large animal medicine
Large animal surgery
Large animal ECC (all 3 of which focused mostly on horses with the occasional cow, sheep, or goat thrown in)
Small animal medicine (which was 4 weeks, so twice as long as a normal rotation)

Beyond that, everyone declares a major (SA, LA, Mixed, ect) and that major comes with its own set of requirements. A lot of students found that the mixed animal major was the best fit for people with specialized interests since it had fewer hard-and-fast requirements and left more flexibility to take what you wanted to take.

Good luck going forward. "Two schools to choose between" is a nice problem to have!
wow you guys werent required to do clin path, necropsy, anesthesia regardless?

Members don't see this ad :)
wow you guys werent required to do clin path, necropsy, anesthesia regardless?

No you are. But we have SA and LA versions of both, so you only have to take the one required by your major.

Beyond those 5 required courses for everyone, there are additional requirements based on major.

Large animal medicine
Large animal surgery

Thank you so much! This was really helpful... exactly what I was looking for. I like the "chicken city" name.

Thank you so much! This was really helpful... exactly what I was looking for. I like the "chicken city" name.
Haha that is funny. Here at the OARDC we have "Chicken City" and "Turkey Town". I am in dairy nutrition so I haven't set foot in there more than a couple of times to help.

Anyways, congratulations! Penn is a good school and having more than 1 acceptance is definitely a good problem to have.