This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have any tips on how to succeed at Kaiser LA? Would like to know what I'm getting myself into haha. Interested in cards fellowship. Excited to start this June/July!
Same as anywhere else.

1. Show up early.
2. Work hard (-er than everyone around you, but don't talk about it).
3. Get yourself involved (electives, research, etc) in your desired subspecialty early (like...November).
Repeat until fellowship Match day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Thoughts on St. Elizabeth Boston

I know 2 people who did IM residency there, both FMGs and both now in GI. They seemed to like the program and honestly, from a clinical standpoint, they are very good, so I don't think you'll have a problem from that side of things.

Anyone have any tips on how to succeed at Kaiser LA? Would like to know what I'm getting myself into haha. Interested in cards fellowship. Excited to start this June/July!

Gutonc hit the nail on the head.

Kaiser LA is going to have a lot of staff trying to get you to do primary care. It’s kinda their thing regardless of how open they want to be with your fellowship goals. Half of you will start out wanting Cards/GI from a community program like kaiser LA so low-key work your *** off and outperform your peers.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is the selectivity of NYU Winthrop IM categorical program? It's my first choice because it's right near home, but my stats are quite average/230s STEP 1 score US student MD school.

Last edited:
What is the selectivity of NYU Winthrop IM categorical program? It's my first choice because it's right near home, but my stats are quite average/230s STEP 1 score US student.

MD or DO? Either way, you should be fine. Show interest is the best piece of advice I can give.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the selectivity of NYU Winthrop IM categorical program? It's my first choice because it's right near home, but my stats are quite average/230s STEP 1 score US student MD school.

Mix of low-tier AMG, DO and Carib

Anyone know if MUSC has a minimum cut off when taking applicants for IM residency? My long term boyfriend interviewed there and is probably ranking them #1. He made in the upper 230s on step 1 and 240s on step 2.

I am still a 3rd year so I won't be applying until this summer, but I made a 218 on Step 1 and I want to do IM. He is pretty dead set on MUSC despite the fact that I am pretty sure I am not competitive for their program and want to stay closer to home. Does anyone know about the program selection and if they would consider me, even with me being quite average and have a lower than average step 1 score?

I heard that they have a filter for USMLE scores.
Is MUSC 'Medical University of South Carolina' at Palmetto Health? If it is, I don't think their cut off is that high since I know someone who matched in 2018 with 210s in both step 1/2...

Last edited:

Mix of low-tier AMG, DO and Carib
Thank you. I saw that and I found it confusing with the FREIDA information. On FREIDA the cut-off for interview was 200+ STEP 1. But the average STEP 1 scores of residents was listed as >245. That's insane!

Thank you. I saw that and I found it confusing with the FREIDA information. On FREIDA the cut-off for interview was 200+ STEP 1. But the average STEP 1 scores of residents was listed as >245. That's insane!

Yeah that’s the IMGs who needed a 250 to match there.

That place is cake to match at. You’ll be fine.

Any current residents or prior interviewees can update on their experiences with the Loma Linda IM program? I constantly hear about how they are “malignant” from my upper classmates who interviewed there last Match and is an easy place to match to because they never “fill up their spots” pre-SOAP. Thanks.

What are the specifics with regards to being “malignant”?

Members don't see this ad :)
More along the lines of being overworked and not filling their spots up every year pre-SOAP as a result of this.

If you aren’t overworked in IM residency, I’m not sure you’re going to be well prepared to leave and practice on your own.

I suspect LLU might not fill every year because it’s 1) not prestigious and 2) they are able to get their medical students to programs that are more academically regarded than LLU itself.

Sitting between Riverside and San Bernardino right in the armpit of the inland empire doesn’t help much either. The location leaves a lot to be desired if you are looking for a spot that is “urban glamorous” or interesting.

I’m not sure if they spend any time out at riverside regional any longer now with their own program but they’ve got a busy university hospital (new one being built) and a VA without the academic fancy pants airs - hard to need or want much more in training - most of you all won’t be big deal researchers so . . .

More along the lines of being overworked and not filling their spots up every year pre-SOAP as a result of this.

Am the new VA Quality and Patient Safety chief resident for Loma Linda. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I just got here. However, from what I have seen so far at the program evaluation committee(PEC) the GME dept is very very focused on resident wellness and protecting didactic time.

PD of IM seems like a very friendly guy as do most of the attendings I met at PEC.

Some of the policies about sick leave and overall wellness were pretty awesome coming from a small community program in the middle of Michigan.

I doubt this is a malignant program in the true sense of the word: that means attendings and management are actively trying to mess your career and look for ways to screw you. Don't think this is that type of place.

I do think this place will give you good training with good pathology and multiple patient demographics with so many different facilities involved including the VA. You will be expected to work hard and put the time in. This is probably not going to be a cush residency, but you don't want it to be. You only have 3 years to get trained well.

If you are academically inclined, this place is not as pretentious as other places I have seen. Most people are ready to help you and the infrastructure for research/QI seems to be pretty robust here vs smaller programs.

Looks to be a university program with a community feel, which honestly seems like the best of both worlds.

But again... I've been here for a few weeks... so what do I know.

PD Question:
I'm a 4th year applying to IM this year. I'm finishing up an away at a top 10 hospital. I had originally applied for an away and was rejected, but through an alumni connection, was able to end up getting an away rotation in IM. I was told to meet with the PD at some point during my time on this rotation. I asked my alumni mentor to reach out on my behalf and was told that the PD was too busy to meet and that he had already seen my application come through for an away (which was mainly based on Step 1 and grades). I know I am well outside the range for this school (20X on Step 1 and P IM clerkship, but H in Sub-I from a mid-tier school), but was hoping that if I could get an away rotation, I might be able to interview.

Reading between the lines seems like this won't be possible--any other recommendations on what to do in this scenario?

PD Question:
I'm a 4th year applying to IM this year. I'm finishing up an away at a top 10 hospital. I had originally applied for an away and was rejected, but through an alumni connection, was able to end up getting an away rotation in IM. I was told to meet with the PD at some point during my time on this rotation. I asked my alumni mentor to reach out on my behalf and was told that the PD was too busy to meet and that he had already seen my application come through for an away (which was mainly based on Step 1 and grades). I know I am well outside the range for this school (20X on Step 1 and P IM clerkship, but H in Sub-I from a mid-tier school), but was hoping that if I could get an away rotation, I might be able to interview.

Reading between the lines seems like this won't be possible--any other recommendations on what to do in this scenario?

I would say that if you did get that face time with the PD there’s always a tiny chance you could make an amazing first impression. But that ignores some huge facts about most t 20 IM programs and even more so for top 5-10.
1) pedigree matters
2) you should at least meet a minimal threshold for steps (230? 240?, probably even higher when coming from not top tier med school)
3) if not top tier med school then should have H in IM clerkship, Sub-I, AOA, PhD or both
4) aways are meaningless generally
5) someone should have warned you over and over that this plan was unlikely to result in an interview

And yes reading between the lines I don’t think they’ll be offering you an interview but you put yourself into a low risk high reward position. The only other thing that at this point you might as well do, (and not entirely clear why you didn’t do this from the outset) is reach out on your own behalf via email, explain how much you enjoyed the away why you love the program and that if the PD has some free time that you’d like to introduce yourself. I’d say there is a very low likelihood of this working and even less of a chance you’d get an IV but at this point there is literally no downside. Good luck

I'm an US-IMG with a good step 1 score and 3 LoRs, CK pending. Anyone have any idea about good IM programs in NYC. Any IM residents from NY Presbyterian Methodist hospital who can fill me up on their IM program. I ask that in specific because of its location which I loved. I just want to be confident in my skills by the time I come out of residency. I know confidence in skills is 50% dependant on the candidate and 50% based on the program. I'll put 100% of my 50%.

I'm also interested in pursuing a Heme-Onc fellowship.

Any current residents or prior interviewees can update on their experiences with the Loma Linda IM program? I constantly hear about how they are “malignant” from my upper classmates who interviewed there last Match and is an easy place to match to because they never “fill up their spots” pre-SOAP. Thanks.
I interviewed there eons ago … I was not impressed but I did not get the vibe that it was malignant by any means. Seemed like nice people. Some people may be put off by religious affiliations but they have a VA and university program. Training seemed like any other mid-tier program. In the end, you will get out of a training what you put into it regardless of malignancy.

Does anyone know anything about Pennsylvania Hospital? This is a community hospital a part of UPenn but would appreciate any feedback about the program, the ease or difficulty in obtaining research opportunities (particularly opportunities for bench work), and the overall ability of getting in as a DO applicant. The PD is a DO I see but looking at their roster they only seem to take 1-2 per year.

Would having a decently strong research background help?

Does anyone know anything about INOVA Virginia IM Categorical Program or the Georgetown/Washington Hospital Center program? The hospitals themselves are excellent from what I can tell, but the residency programs are mostly IMGs/Caribbean students. I'm not sure why that's the case.

(MODERATOR NOTE: This post was moved from the Gen Res forum and merged here. The question is about Univ of Hawaii.

Like the question says--what are the chances of matching? What is the program like? How competitive is it? Specifically for someone like me.

Bad:
I have no connections to the state. I go to a low-mid tier US MD school in the south.

Good:
1. I am single (don't plan at all to be married by the time I match). I know I would be comfortable living there and don't have any issues with uprooting my life and moving out there.
2. I have some extensive experience in Honolulu. I worked there several summers in a row in college. But I don't have any compelling connections per se.

Additional questions:
I am in 2nd year and will be taking Step 1 at the end of the year. What kind of board scores do you guys think would make me competitive?
Any advice on proving my commitment to Hawaii? It's my understanding that they want applicants who seem dedicated to staying after residency (I am, but how to demonstrate that?)
Would you advise doing an away rotation there? Is that helpful in this particular program?

Happy to provide any other information. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
(MODERATOR NOTE: This post was moved from the Gen Res forum and merged here. The question is about Univ of Hawaii.

Like the question says--what are the chances of matching? What is the program like? How competitive is it? Specifically for someone like me.

Bad:
I have no connections to the state. I go to a low-mid tier US MD school in the south.

Good:
1. I am single (don't plan at all to be married by the time I match). I know I would be comfortable living there and don't have any issues with uprooting my life and moving out there.
2. I have some extensive experience in Honolulu. I worked there several summers in a row in college. But I don't have any compelling connections per se.

Additional questions:
I am in 2nd year and will be taking Step 1 at the end of the year. What kind of board scores do you guys think would make me competitive?
Any advice on proving my commitment to Hawaii? It's my understanding that they want applicants who seem dedicated to staying after residency (I am, but how to demonstrate that?)
Would you advise doing an away rotation there? Is that helpful in this particular program?

Happy to provide any other information. Thanks!

Know a few people went there and/or med school there. Generally they strongly prefer their own students and/or folks with Hawaii connections. I doubt showing any commitment will sway them much as I'm sure they've heard it all by now and most not from there end up leaving. Seem they get foreign grads, particularly from asia, pretty often so I can't imagine it being particular competitive. Or maybe the contrary, they prefer those asian grads who'll be more likely to stay. Who knows. Why the strong interest? It seems like a mid/low-tier semi-academic place. I've spent lots of time there too and know quite a few folks from there (not just in medicine), I can't see a compelling reason to do residency there over anywhere else really.

Know a few people went there and/or med school there. Generally they strongly prefer their own students and/or folks with Hawaii connections. I doubt showing any commitment will sway them much as I'm sure they've heard it all by now and most not from there end up leaving. Seem they get foreign grads, particularly from asia, pretty often so I can't imagine it being particular competitive. Or maybe the contrary, they prefer those asian grads who'll be more likely to stay. Who knows. Why the strong interest? It seems like a mid/low-tier semi-academic place. I've spent lots of time there too and know quite a few folks from there (not just in medicine), I can't see a compelling reason to do residency there over anywhere else really.
Personally I just like the culture out there. I know there's a huge need for docs and I like the idea of filling a need. I would really like the opportunity to be around Asian culture (I am Asian) and I would prefer to marry within my own race. I'm not sure of the singles scene there but it can't be worse than where I am now (Middle-of-Nowhere, USA). So I guess for me it is really a combo of culture, dating opportunities, and QOL. I know Hawaii can be pretty expensive. Maybe I'm naive. I'm a pretty average student at my pretty average school, so I don't know how competitive I would be for coastal programs (Cali and NYC come to mind). Any feedback is appreciated.

Can someone tell me about the USC/LA County IM program? I did an away there and loved it. Then my PD at my home school said to not apply there given everything that happened with their cards fellowship. Honestly, the cards fellowship losing its accreditation is unfortunate, but I still think it's a great residency program and would go there in a second. Granted I have not started my interviews yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Personally I just like the culture out there. I know there's a huge need for docs and I like the idea of filling a need. I would really like the opportunity to be around Asian culture (I am Asian) and I would prefer to marry within my own race. I'm not sure of the singles scene there but it can't be worse than where I am now (Middle-of-Nowhere, USA). So I guess for me it is really a combo of culture, dating opportunities, and QOL. I know Hawaii can be pretty expensive. Maybe I'm naive. I'm a pretty average student at my pretty average school, so I don't know how competitive I would be for coastal programs (Cali and NYC come to mind). Any feedback is appreciated.

I don't know if by "culture" you meant asian culture, in which case yes you'd fit right in. I know my female friends from there weren't thrilled with the dating scene. In any case, you don't have to train there, you could always move out there after training, it's only 3yrs. Apply there and elsewhere and see what happens. Having said that, I've spent good amount of time there, have family and friends from there, you may very well be naive about the realities of living there. Visiting is very different than living, it's not like a perpetual vacation, what they show on hgtv, instagram, etc. I'm not sure what you're referring to with QOL but it's not like people are chilling all the time. There's been a domestic out-migration for quite a few years now. You have to wonder why there's a doctor shortage if it's so wonderful there. Lots of folks I know that grew up there, in medicine and other field, don't often settle there for various reasons. It's pretty common for transplants to leave within a few years.

Edit: Also add that practicing out there isn't necessarily the greatest. Services or advanced stuff are limited, not at the same level as bigger cities, and pay can be low.

Last edited:
Can anyone fill me up on NCH health care system, Naples, Florida? I cant see their fellowship placements in their website.

Can anyone shade some light on mid-tier academic programs in California (eg. UCI, UCD, Loma Linda) vs. stronger community programs (cedar sinai, scripps, CPMC etc.)? What will be better for someone who may want to pursue fellowships?

Does anyone know much about either INOVA Fairfax IM residency program or Wake Forest IM programs? I've received interviews at both.

Has anyone interviewed at Jewish Hospital of Cincinnati - IM program? I have heard that they ask medical questions during the interview. Can someone confirm or deny this?

This might be a very specific question about UT Houston IM but I’ve read some things online about people ranking them number one and being confident about it and then not end up matching there. This is my dream program and I’ve already sent LOI saying that if I got an interview I would rank them high. Thankfully I got an interview, but my stats aren’t stellar and I’m scared they’d overlook me and I won’t get in. Anyone with any personal experience or thoughts? My debilitating anxiety will have immense gratitude for you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Thoughts on UVA vs Case Western (UH)? Planning on going into pulm/crit and my interview schedule will only allow me to visit one of these programs.

Thoughts on UVA vs Case Western (UH)? Planning on going into pulm/crit and my interview schedule will only allow me to visit one of these programs.
You can honestly choose based on geography. Both are solid mid-tier programs. Case maybe suffers from being so close to CCF, but not that much. Both will give you plenty of options for fellowship.

Have heard mixed things. Word on the street is that the program is fellow run.

However, current residents told me the program is not- they do procedures, make plans, etc. etc. However, a Case student I know who did a rotation there told me otherwise- that the intern's plan was dictated by the upper levels. Also it was curious to me that at noon conference, the residents didn't seem that impressive in their knowledge base.

I don't know what to think. Their fellowship match list is impressive, and they do have access to top level research. If the program is so good, why is it not attracting top 20 med school students? More importantly, why is it not attracting Case students?

Have any of you done a rotation there to know what the truth is for real? I don't know who to believe.

Thoughts on Georgetown vs George Washington vs Maryland? Interested in GI or maybe Pulm/Crit.

Doximity ranks them roughly around the same level.

Can anyone give me insights on Mount Sinai Bronx fellowship prospects?

Have heard mixed things. Word on the street is that the program is fellow run.

However, current residents told me the program is not- they do procedures, make plans, etc. etc. However, a Case student I know who did a rotation there told me otherwise- that the intern's plan was dictated by the upper levels. Also it was curious to me that at noon conference, the residents didn't seem that impressive in their knowledge base.

I don't know what to think. Their fellowship match list is impressive, and they do have access to top level research. If the program is so good, why is it not attracting top 20 med school students? More importantly, why is it not attracting Case students?

Have any of you done a rotation there to know what the truth is for real? I don't know who to believe.

As a resident, I can say that the medicine program is extremely resident-run, and the level of autonomy you get is completely dictated by your senior, but most want the intern to make the plan so that they can modify it. On general medicine teams, you never have a fellow, and we tend to consult as little as necessary, with many of our patients having zero consultations if they have a unifying diagnosis with a reasonably clear treatment plan. On subspecialty services, there is only one service that has a fellow (GI), and that fellow is mainly there to coordinate procedures and provide teaching, though they do help to provide some input in plans. The senior resident still runs the team.

The program attracts few residents from top tier programs for a couple of reasons: 1. Location - Cleveland is not a destination for most 2. Cleveland Clinic is more well known but is the less robust program in terms of training (fewer opportunities for training and procedures), so more people apply there and 3. The recent departure of the med school (despite still having a linkage with as many students rotating with us as before), signaling a decline in the connection of the medical school to the hospital. Case students don't tend to stay because they are often 1. from other states and want to go back home 2. Often have the opportunity to match at truly top tier programs given the high caliber of the med school (amazing reputation with many people who go into medicine matching at MGH, BWH, UCSF, etc.).

Both are solid upper-mid tier programs and will set you up well for fellowship. Probably comes down to location: middle-of-nowhere Charlottesville vs. mistake on the lake. Pick your poison. Contrary to gutonc, Case > CCF in terms of internal medicine residency. Fellowship, on the other hand, is a different story.

Thougths on Northshore-LIJ?

Solid mid-tier program on Long Island. You will get good clinical training and they have a lot of in-house fellowships. Faculty do have connections to the Manhattan programs.

Thoughts on Georgetown vs George Washington vs Maryland? Interested in GI or maybe Pulm/Crit.

Doximity ranks them roughly around the same level.

Georgetown ~ UMD > GW. Personally, I liked the UMD interview more and ranked it higher a number of years ago, but agree with above poster that DC > Baltimore, although it is much, much cheaper to live in Baltimore than DC.

Does anyone have thoughts on Baylor vs UVA with goal of cardiology? Location aside.

Anyone know how to consider Rutgers RWJ vs Montefiore vs Cooper?

I thought I answered this yesterday but not sure where my reply went.

RWJ ~= Monte >>>>> Cooper

Choose between the first two based on your gut and preference for location.
Interesting, I've always hear more things about Montefiore, although that may just be because I know a resident from there.

Do you think the location of RWJ vs Montefiore would have a significant impact on my training or patient diversity? New Brunswick vs Bronx. Not from the area so don't know much about these programs.