Questions for former or current Wayne State students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aspiringMICardioDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm excited to interview at Wayne and would appreciate getting some answers to some questions that will help me for my interview. Thanks in advance for the help!

What are the clinical opportunities at Wayne for MS1s and MS2s?

What do you like best about Wayne?

What don't you like?

What unique programs does Wayne have that are not present at other medical schools?

I have heard great stuff about the DMC, how does the lottery process work for clerkships? Is your placement purely by luck, or are your grades taken into account?

During clerkships are you restricted to one hospital in the DMC or do you rotate around?

I have heard that Wayne is a fairly conservative school, is this true?

What are the research opportunities for Wayne students, is this a focus for Wayne, or are they more interested in clinical training?

What do you like to do for fun while attending Wayne? Outdoor activities, indoor, etc...?

Any interview advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Moving to School Specific Discussions. Also, you might find asking this question in the appropriate application thread in that forum helpful.

I'm excited to interview at Wayne and would appreciate getting some answers to some questions that will help me for my interview. Thanks in advance for the help!

What are the clinical opportunities at Wayne for MS1s and MS2s?

There are tons of student groups that you can join and get out into the clinics and do what you and the attending feel you are comfortable doing. There are clinical skills nights where you get introduced to many different things you could be doing in the clinics. I know my friends are practicing taking histories, blood pressures, blood draws, running rapid strep tests, etc. So there are a lot of opportunities, but they are what you make them.

What do you like best about Wayne?

I like Wayne because of the streaming lectures, the course work is solid, and because it is in Detroit. Also because you have so many clinical opportunities.

What don't you like?
Ummm? That I have to walk clear around the building in the cold? I know sounds petty, but there isn't much I don't like.

Oh, and that I wish every lecture hall had desks like Green. But then I am sure there would be a seating issue.

What unique programs does Wayne have that are not present at other medical schools?

Ultra-sound training?

I have heard great stuff about the DMC, how does the lottery process work for clerkships? Is your placement purely by luck, or are your grades taken into account?

During clerkships are you restricted to one hospital in the DMC or do you rotate around?

No clue.

I have heard that Wayne is a fairly conservative school, is this true?

Not that I have seen. Seems to me most of the student body is pretty liberal... but then again, like attracts like.

What are the research opportunities for Wayne students, is this a focus for Wayne, or are they more interested in clinical training?

I get emails all the time about research opportunities. It is what you make it. If you want it, there are options for both.

What do you like to do for fun while attending Wayne? Outdoor activities, indoor, etc...?

There's fun? :laugh:

Any interview advice?

Don't stress, and go on the tour.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Old thread i know, but i am an incoming first year and was looking at off campus places to live (preferably walking distance from campus). How big of an issue is parking? should i be looking for an apt with its own parking? can i park on the street? hows student parking?

i know, stupid question that has nothing to do with the school, but id be really grateful for any one with experience in living in the area.

Old thread i know, but i am an incoming first year and was looking at off campus places to live (preferably walking distance from campus). How big of an issue is parking? should i be looking for an apt with its own parking? can i park on the street? hows student parking?

i know, stupid question that has nothing to do with the school, but id be really grateful for any one with experience in living in the area.

Parking on the street is risky, particularly overnight.

Live somewhere with a secured structure. Or better yet, live in a safe suburb and drive to school when you need to. Royal Oak and Grosse Pointe are only about 15 minutes away.

thanks for the help. im choosing between a place with a gated parking lot but a mile away from campus, or a place right next door but with no parking. im not in MI now so im getting help form some friends to check out these places for me.

i wanna try and live in detroit for at least a year and see how it is... yea i know you must think im crazy, but i grew up in the suburbs so id like to get something a lil different. anyways thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.