RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had to be outside for 5 hours yesterday for open house and the ragweed is high and my allergies flared up and now I have a bad ear infection :yeahright:
This is why I don’t go outside.
This is me during spring. I get that everlasting nasal drip that makes me feel like I’m choking :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is me during spring. I get that everlasting nasal drip that makes me feel like I’m choking :mad:
Yep this is me during both the spring and the fall, plus my other allergies that are almost year round. I get like....half of December and January off:dead::dead::dead::dead:
Often it turns into a full-on sinus infection, but hopefully this one won’t go there since I’m already on antibiotics for the ear infection it caused :lame:

Interesting, I guess I never really thought of the clientele difference that geographical variables can bring. Lots to consider! I’m really interested in livestock as well as pathology and the OneHealth mission. Some vets have tried to steer me away from livestock however. They shared your sentiments about low pay.

I was torn between path and large animal ambulatory for a while. Some of it was indeed LA clientele, who were on the whole so much more reasonable and friendly compared to SA or equine. Part of my decision was based on lifestyle - I don't have the brass balls needed to be pulling calves out in an east coast February at 2:00am, not to mention the fact that a couple years in LA practice is like a season in the NFL. I'll keep on being the geek behind the microscope. Although having around 70k added to my base debt due to low pay during many years of post-DVM training does sting quite a bit. I have a few colleagues who have already paid theirs off and I'm just starting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Part of my decision was based on lifestyle - I don't have the brass balls needed to be pulling calves out in an east coast February at 2:00am, not to mention the fact that a couple years in LA practice is like a season in the NFL.
That’s one thing I consider as well. I don’t want to be 40 and my body has given out on me. I’m 22 and already have back issues among a few other things lol. I know equine and large animal is super physically demanding. I may opt into being the “geek behind the microscope” as well. From what I’ve heard/seen, work life balance is pretty good for veterinary pathologist as well. Do you work from home?

That’s one thing I consider as well. I don’t want to be 40 and my body has given out on me. I’m 22 and already have back issues among a few other things lol. I know equine and large animal is super physically demanding. I may opt into being the “geek behind the microscope” as well. From what I’ve heard/seen, work life balance is pretty good for veterinary pathologist as well. Do you work from home?

No, not that many of us do (to my knowledge) unless you luck out with a super sweet remote diagnostic job. Not unheard of, but most work on an actual site. Radiologists have more options in the working from home arena since digital rads are so common now. Digital slides are becoming more common, but still not the norm. I still push glass. I'd say in path we have decent work life balance overall. I'm happy with my specialty. I wouldn't do vet school again unless I could end up here again, though.

Reactions: 1 users
No, not that many of us do (to my knowledge) unless you luck out with a super sweet remote diagnostic job. Not unheard of, but most work on an actual site. Radiologists have more options in the working from home arena since digital rads are so common now. Digital slides are becoming more common, but still not the norm. I still push glass. I'd say in path we have decent work life balance overall. I'm happy with my specialty. I wouldn't do vet school again unless I could end up here again, though.
How competitive was it to land your specialty?

How competitive was it to land your specialty?

It depends on program, but pathology (anatomic and clinical) is pretty competitive. We don't go through the match, so it is difficult to get hard numbers on percent acceptance. I was told there were at least twenty or thirty contenders for my spot. From what I know (which I'm not involved directly in resident applications so I'm sure I'm not exact, a better resource might be a residency director) it can range anywhere from ten to fifty applicants per spot depending on program quality, board pass rate, name, etc.

It depends on program, but pathology (anatomic and clinical) is pretty competitive. We don't go through the match, so it is difficult to get hard numbers on percent acceptance. I was told there were at least twenty or thirty contenders for my spot. From what I know (which I'm not involved directly in resident applications so I'm sure I'm not exact, a better resource might be a residency director) it can range anywhere from ten to fifty applicants per spot depending on program quality, board pass rate, name, etc.
I agree. I don't have a huge role in final selections, but my faculty do allow us to review applications, participate in the interviews, and have a vote on the candidates...they may certainly overrule us but I've been involved for two years now. We have probably 15-20 applicants each year for our single clin path opening. I've heard of as many as mid-thirties on outlier years. A few of those applicants may not be qualified, but typically things are competitive. It seems like there's fewer residency spots in clin path vs anatomic path, so I think that may affect total application numbers on the clin path side?

I agree. I don't have a huge role in final selections, but my faculty do allow us to review applications, participate in the interviews, and have a vote on the candidates...they may certainly overrule us but I've been involved for two years now. We have probably 15-20 applicants each year for our single clin path opening. I've heard of as many as mid-thirties on outlier years. A few of those applicants may not be qualified, but typically things are competitive. It seems like there's fewer residency spots in clin path vs anatomic path, so I think that may affect total application numbers on the clin path side?

Most likely. My program had anywhere from 6-8 anatomic residents at any given time and usually only about 3 clin path (and we were a big program). Each year we had 1 CP slot and 2 AP available, rarely 3. But I think overall there are more AP applications so it may balance out ratio-wise.

Last edited:
I like what I do but it's just a really tough profession to recommend.

Pretty much exactly my perspective, although I finished with ~$250k in debt from vet school (none from undergrad).

Unlike some people, I’m not unhappy in the profession itself. But the late evenings, constant social aspect (introvert here, hi), demanding clients, etc...I sometimes wonder if this is something I want to do for the long haul. I have been MUCH happier at my new job, though, so I definitely am not dwelling on it anymore.

Most likely. My program had anywhere from 6-8 anatomic residents at any given time and usually only about 3 clin path (and we were a big program). But I think overall there are more AP applications so it may balance out ratio-wise.

Thank you guys for the perspective! So so much to consider. I’m a pros and cons list kind of gal so I see a lot of those in my future.

Pretty much exactly my perspective, although I finished with ~$250k in debt from vet school (none from undergrad).

Unlike some people, I’m not unhappy in the profession itself. But the late evenings, constant social aspect (introvert here, hi), demanding clients, etc...I sometimes wonder if this is something I want to do for the long haul. I have been MUCH happier at my new job, though, so I definitely am not dwelling on it anymore.
I definitely consider myself more of an introvert as well, but extroverted when I need to be.
Did you just find a new job at a different clinic? How is your new job better?

Don't bother going any further. You arn't going to make any money doing this, I know colleagues in human medicine who are making more money than I could ever make in my whole career. If you love animals, love them as a hobby. This is a waste of your time.".
True
Well, I've always been good with animals and reading body language, I think they are an important part of our lives and I want to be a medical professional who can help them stay as healthy as possible and educate their owners".
This plus this
Never once did I mention money, and I really don't care about it
=You could make a good mixed practice rural veterinarian
That probably wasn’t the best way to approach it, but I would make damn sure any volunteers knew exactly what the debt:income ratio is looking like these days, and how becoming one of the people that can’t even pay the interest on their loans each month is most definitely not worth it... because, I mean - shet, SOMEONE has to tell them. It’s important. If anything, make it a goal to figure out the cheapest possible way to attend vet school.

If I would have to take debt for vet school I would not do it.
I am one of those vets that when I see volunteers or shadows... I warn them, they deserve to have all the information to make a good decision for themselves. I also don't dwell on it. I warn them
I once tried that approach with second year vet student, medical school dropout for vet school.

Members don't see this ad :)
So on my way home from school today the radio hosts were talking about the flu vaccine. (Btw this is your reminder to get your flu shot if you haven't already.) The one was like "I never get my flu shot! Never ever ever ever EVER!" like seriously throwing this tantrum over it. Meanwhile the other host was trying to reason like "well you should" etc.

First host says, "My whole family always got their flu shot and a week later they'd get the flu!" Second host says exactly what I'm thinking, that there's an incubation period up to a few days so they probably already had it in their system. First host is like, "Well doesn't it only protect against like 3 or 4 strains? There's like a million flu strains out there." Yes. Yes it does and yes there are. But scientists don't go, "I think we'll do this one, and this one, and this one this year because I'm really feeling this is H1N1's year to shine." How ridiculous. No. They calculate which strains are likely to be the most prevalent each season and put the top 3-4 in vaccines. Plus, that's three or four strains that you're protected against. Like last year when some people said the flu vaccine was like 10-30% effective so they weren't going to bother getting it, that's 10-30% protection you didn't have before.

And then of course their conversation devolved into shots...of alcohol. :bang:

TL;DR - Get your flu shot every year.

So on my way home from school today the radio hosts were talking about the flu vaccine. (Btw this is your reminder to get your flu shot if you haven't already.) The one was like "I never get my flu shot! Never ever ever ever EVER!" like seriously throwing this tantrum over it. Meanwhile the other host was trying to reason like "well you should" etc.

First host says, "My whole family always got their flu shot and a week later they'd get the flu!" Second host says exactly what I'm thinking, that there's an incubation period up to a few days so they probably already had it in their system. First host is like, "Well doesn't it only protect against like 3 or 4 strains? There's like a million flu strains out there." Yes. Yes it does and yes there are. But scientists don't go, "I think we'll do this one, and this one, and this one this year because I'm really feeling this is H1N1's year to shine." How ridiculous. No. They calculate which strains are likely to be the most prevalent each season and put the top 3-4 in vaccines. Plus, that's three or four strains that you're protected against. Like last year when some people said the flu vaccine was like 10-30% effective so they weren't going to bother getting it, that's 10-30% protection you didn't have before.

Definitely don't read this thread then...
Pregnant Resident wanting to reject mandatory flu shot, consequences?

I definitely consider myself more of an introvert as well, but extroverted when I need to be.
Did you just find a new job at a different clinic? How is your new job better?

I’m the same way- I probably appear extroverted to everyone I work with :laugh: But it really can be taxing for us introverts to have to be “on” all of the time - some days are worse than others, obviously.

I started at my new place almost a year ago. Without outlining every single thing, it’s better in essentially every way, at least for me as a practitioner. I have skilled, very well trained staff who do the tech work so I can focus on the doctor work. And they’re good at it. We practice much better quality medicine (including excellent pain management), which was a big part of why I left my first place. And I actually respect my boss and coworkers now, since she keeps up with vet med instead of just old-schooling everything. She encourages and expects us to do quality CE instead of just hit or miss local meetings. And she’s a good businesswoman.

Every person is different in their priorities for a job as a vet. My first job taught me a lot but my second job is so much better for me. Nothing can be perfect, of course, but I’m so glad I made the change.

Reactions: 2 users
True

This plus this

=You could make a good mixed practice rural veterinarian

If I would have to take debt for vet school I would not do it.

I once tried that approach with second year vet student, medical school dropout for vet school.

Thank you for your input! I have considered being a mixed practice veterinarian, while I have a general plan I have an open mindset to what I will end up doing. I feel like I won't really know until I get more hands on training and a feel for what I will be good at.

Just got my flu shot yesterday actually! I consider my mother immunocompromised at baseline for a variety of reasons so I try to get my shots every year before I'm home for the holidays for her sake at the very least. I try to get my classmates to go as well (for my sake this time since we're so crammed together every day) because flu vaccines are free for students here!

Reactions: 2 users
I have a rant and a rave all mixed up in one.

I was on Petfinder today and I found the perfect dog. I’m in love with her. I went to go visit her today when I found out that someone else had already filed for adoption. So I’m second in line if they happen to back down, but she’s precious and I love her so much.

Tl;dr I finally convinced myself and my family that I needed a dog, and my love might not be able to come home with me.

73A33351-C89C-4D6F-9F2D-9CD65166C524.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users
I’m the same way- I probably appear extroverted to everyone I work with :laugh: But it really can be taxing for us introverts to have to be “on” all of the time - some days are worse than others, obviously.

Ugh seriously. I consider myself a somewhat social introvert in that I like being around people, but don't necessarily need to be the one talking, etc. My mom probably still gets annoyed with me about my lack of communication with her (and many others...I've probably ranted about this in the past but since speaking with her directly, she hasn't really brought it up) but I am just sooo drained from having to have like 20+ conversations at work that are often emotionally draining that I just want to come home and put on the TV and literally just not think/speak to anyone.

Just got my flu shot yesterday actually! I consider my mother immunocompromised at baseline for a variety of reasons so I try to get my shots every year before I'm home for the holidays for her sake at the very least. I try to get my classmates to go as well (for my sake this time since we're so crammed together every day) because flu vaccines are free for students here!
Definitely forced one of my friends to go get hers with me when they had our flu shot clinic at school a month ago :laugh:
I get them every year and have since 2009(?) with the swine flu. I was forced to get it that year because of my dads job (since he 1. Sees so many people per day and 2. A lot of them are kids). If anyone in the family got the swine flu he wouldn’t have been able to go to work for I think a week or two, which would mean rescheduling a **** ton of patients into an already booked schedule.

I was on Petfinder today and I found the perfect dog. I’m in love with her. I went to go visit her today when I found out that someone else had already filed for adoption. So I’m second in line if they happen to back down, but she’s precious and I love her so much.

Tl;dr I finally convinced myself and my family that I needed a dog, and my love might not be able to come home with me.

View attachment 240687
I love her so much and I hope you get to adopt her :love:

I started at my new place almost a year ago. Without outlining every single thing, it’s better in essentially every way, at least for me as a practitioner. I have skilled, very well trained staff who do the tech work so I can focus on the doctor work. And they’re good at it. We practice much better quality medicine (including excellent pain management), which was a big part of why I left my first place. And I actually respect my boss and coworkers now, since she keeps up with vet med instead of just old-schooling everything. She encourages and expects us to do quality CE instead of just hit or miss local meetings. And she’s a good businesswoman.

Every person is different in their priorities for a job as a vet. My first job taught me a lot but my second job is so much better for me. Nothing can be perfect, of course, but I’m so glad I made the change.
Haha being an extrovert can certainly be draining sometimes! Nothing like coming home, getting into my pajamas, and recharging by snuggling up to my pups.

I’m glad you made a good change though! I’ve worked at 3 clinics that all run a little differently. I definitely see how having quality techs influences a doctor. Besides, it’s the doctor’s liscence that’s on the line - that’s stressful enough to have to trust a tech with. I’ve learned having a good team makes all the difference in a practice.

View attachment 240687
What a beauty! I see how she stole your heart.

I love her so much and I hope you get to adopt her :love:
ugh you and me both.

What a beauty! I see how she stole your heart.
yes! I was playing with her today and she started out like really shy, but after 10 minutes of petting and encouraging she was so excited and playful and licking my face! And then she was “bad with the leash” but we went several laps around the facilities with no problems at all!

Ugh seriously. I consider myself a somewhat social introvert in that I like being around people, but don't necessarily need to be the one talking, etc. My mom probably still gets annoyed with me about my lack of communication with her (and many others...I've probably ranted about this in the past but since speaking with her directly, she hasn't really brought it up) but I am just sooo drained from having to have like 20+ conversations at work that are often emotionally draining that I just want to come home and put on the TV and literally just not think/speak to anyone.
A friend of mine (very jokingly!) called me "lame" after I didn't want to do something on a Friday evening a couple weeks ago and I almost cried. I had been "on" and dealing with people and high emotion stakes all day didn't get lunch and had to work the next morning and the very last thing I wanted to do was hang out with MORE people, even people I liked.

Hell, there are days I don't even want to do anything with my partner and just want to read a book or play a video game or dick around on the computer. ALONE. without anyone needing anything from me.

Dat introvert lyfe is frustrating sometimes. People don't get it.

Reactions: 7 users
I laugh because my clinic requires the technicians to do ALL of the medical notes..as a tech, that can easily turn my 11 hour day into a 13 hour day.
I hope you settle into the job more as the years pass! I’m sure getting comfortable practicing has something to do with it as well.

I think I've seen this mentioned once before where the techs do the notes but honestly, how does that work?? Are you expected to write up the differentials, the options declined by the client, clinical thoughts, follow up plan, etc?

Have never gotten a flu shot, probably will continue to not, simply because I'm lazy and will forget/not have time lol

I might have actually gotten the flu for the first time ever last season, maybe. Was never confirmed.

My problem with it is people get the vaccine and then they're like "whoo I'm safe!" and ignore all the stuff that is going to be more protective than a vaccine in one of those off seasons like the last one. Hygiene, not going to school/work and spreading it around when you're sick, etc. Sooooo sure, get your flu shot, if you feel like it. But also don't be gross if/when you do get sick.

If we could, as a culture, get behind people staying home when they're sick...that would be so great. I'm tired of existing in a Petri dish several times a semester.

I think I've seen this mentioned once before where the techs do the notes but honestly, how does that work?? Are you expected to write up the differentials, the options declined by the client, clinical thoughts, follow up plan, etc?
We used to do a fair bit of it when I worked at Banfield. We were present for or doing a lot of the client communication, so things like treatment options and what the client declined were easy to put in (computers in the exam rooms too, so while the doctor was talking we could be typing). Things like differentials or follow up plan they would just tell us. They would go back and add things in if they needed to.

Have never gotten a flu shot, probably will continue to not, simply because I'm lazy and will forget/not have time lol

I might have actually gotten the flu for the first time ever last season, maybe. Was never confirmed.

My problem with it is people get the vaccine and then they're like "whoo I'm safe!" and ignore all the stuff that is going to be more protective than a vaccine in one of those off seasons like the last one. Hygiene, not going to school/work and spreading it around when you're sick, etc. Sooooo sure, get your flu shot, if you feel like it. But also don't be gross if/when you do get sick.

If we could, as a culture, get behind people staying home when they're sick...that would be so great. I'm tired of existing in a Petri dish several times a semester.
Yeah, I’m more of getting the flu shot so that if I do get the actual flu, I should get at least a lighter illness since my body will have some ability to fight it off, even if it’s not perfectly matched to the one I happen to get.
But yeah, if people could not come to school when they’re sick
EE52535D-206D-48A8-B4FC-5112F92F6DDF.jpeg
Some girl came to school with CONFIRMED STREP the day she went to the dr (so not on antibiotics for 24h yet and still contagious..... :lame:)

We used to do a fair bit of it when I worked at Banfield. We were present for or doing a lot of the client communication, so things like treatment options and what the client declined were easy to put in (computers in the exam rooms too, so while the doctor was talking we could be typing). Things like differentials or follow up plan they would just tell us. They would go back and add things in if they needed to.

As much as it sucks writing them, I don't know if I could relinquish that control. They're literally the only thing that truly protects my butt.

My techs do the history in their own note (which was hard for me to give up as I used to do literally everything start to finish in any given appointment) so I repeat a bunch of questions and put their hx and mine together in my own note. But everything else is my note and I wouldn’t want anyone else in charge of something so important, personally.

My clinic is modeled after Banfield, so like Zoo said, we are present for the exam/findings. Mind you, our notes are certainly not as high quality as they should be if a doctor was writing them. Our doctors don’t seem to care though..they are just happy to pass off the responsibility to us. Safe to say I’m not happy with where I work. The quality of the doctors is as good as the notes we do lol.
Sometimes after a 13 hour shift, the doctor will give me grace and say he will finish the notes the next day. I come back to the file a few days later, and behold, the notes aren’t done! This is super upsetting for me because I could have just done them and there would at least be something written. It’s pretty bad. I come across a lot of files that don’t even have fecal, HWT, ear cytology, UA, etc results.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. This means that there are all kinds of opportunities to be screened, often at no cost. I encourage everyone, and I mean EVERYONE to be screened. “O, I don’t feel anything, I am fine” “It hurts” “It doesn’t run in my family” “I am too young” These are all excuses. Breast Cancer KILLS. A friend of mine just turned 40, and is a 6 year survivor. Think about that for second. And she is the only one in her family to be diagnosed. So it is worth it for the little bit of discomfort you experience during the mammogram. Mammograms can detect the cancer before you feel it. I had gone in for my routine screening, when mine was found. There was no lump to be felt, because of where it was positioned. If I had waited until I felt it, I would have been told it was too late. So ladies, get screened. Gentlemen, encourage the ladies in your life to get screened. This stuff does not mess around, so neither should you. If you want to contact me, I would be happy to talk to anyone who wants to.

Reactions: 5 users
From having to look through most new patients previous records to find vaccine dates, etc... it seems a lot of clinics just don’t care about having thorough records and I don’t understand.

From having to look through most new patients previous records to find vaccine dates, etc... it seems a lot of clinics just don’t care about having thorough records and I don’t understand.
Right? I don’t understand either. Usually all the doctors want at my clinic is vaccine history. Not previous bloodwork, not previous radiology, etc. just too much to keep track of I guess? Idk, doesn’t make sense to me.

I'm also notoriously bad about getting the flu shot (like, maybe once before this year?). But I was never in a high risk group for age or working near immunocompromised people or anything like that (plus have a strong dislike of needles and an even stronger lazy-streak). Now I'm preggers so when the Dr. said it was a good idea I went for it.

Also my classroom attendance was not stellar even when healthy so its crazy to me that people who were sick would make the effort...

Said by someone who has never had to finish a huge pile of records. :p
. I’m not talking like short records, I mean nothing. There are a fair amount of clinics that all they’ll have is a weight and a vaccination sticker. Not even a “exam WNL.” Or when the cat was ill, and it’ll just have a prescription with no exam or notes.

Or my favorite, the “value” clinic near us that only has invoices for records.

There’s really no way to spin that.

Last edited:
Fiancé and I had a snowboarding trip scheduled for January. He had a skateboarding accident last weekend and we just found out he tore his labrum. Surgery needed + healing time of 6-8 months = no (already booked) snowboarding trip. +pity+

. I’m not talking like short records, I mean nothing. There are a fair amount of clinics that all they’ll have is a weight and a vaccination sticker. Not even a “exam WNL.” Or when the cat was ill, and it’ll just have a prescription with no exam or notes.

Or my favorite, the “value” clinic near us that only has invoices for records.

There’s really no way to spin that.
Lots of clinics only send invoices or reminders to downstream clinics unless doctors notes are explicitly requested... so hopefully some aren't as horrible as they could be, haha.

Def some horrible records out there, but I definitely understand more (two years out) exactly why that is nowadays lol.

Lots of clinics only send invoices or reminders to downstream clinics unless doctors notes are explicitly requested... so hopefully some aren't as horrible as they could be, haha.

Def some horrible records out there, but I definitely understand more (two years out) exactly why that is nowadays lol.
The clinics that we got a lot of clients from it was all they had. We’d always ask for everything from the last year or two, and I was often the one that had to call to ask if they had any doctors notes or more complete records when we’d get the above :p it was always the same 3-4 clinics nearby. Plus definitely more from random clinics we’d get clients from. It was probably only like 20% of records we’d get, but still.

I don’t know, I’m not hating on short records. Just records that give you no info and would not fly with the state board ;)