Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a FB group for class of 2018?

And if there are any current students doing HPSP I would love to ask you guys a couple of questions

Members don't see this ad.

And if there are any current students doing HPSP I would love to ask you guys a couple of questions

I am doing Army National Guard. Putting in my paperwork now and I have a bunch of friends in the HPSP. PM me and I'll see what I can answer, otherwise i'll pass it onto my friends. Might take a little to get back to you because we are about to have exam week.

Has anyone heard anything today? / when do they usually call?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering the same thing. I know the committee met on the 18th when I was interviewing but silly me forgot to ask when the next meeting was scheduled. Does anyone know if rejections come in the form of email or letter?not trying to jinx myself haha:D

No, but feel free to make a FB group and post the link in here.

I was wondering the same thing. I know the committee met on the 18th when I was interviewing but silly me forgot to ask when the next meeting was scheduled. Does anyone know if rejections come in the form of email or letter?not trying to jinx myself haha:D

Last edited:
Have any Canadians interviewed, or been accepted at RowanSOM? I am collecting information, to see if this school would be considered "Canadian friendly". Any informed users feel free to PM me.

Unless they changed it this year, it's really rare to be rejected post interview. The more likely option is being placed on the waitlist or this new "hold" thing. They send you a letter if you are waitlisted or on hold, you can also try calling.

It was changed this year, rejections are now a part of the process

Justgot my waitlist lettet yesterday :/ does anyone know what the movement is like?

Justgot my waitlist lettet yesterday :/ does anyone know what the movement is like?

Members don't see this ad :)
The waitlist usually has pretty solid movement. It used to be just based on MCAT/GPA but I believe they might have changed that. It is a bit early right now but later on in the process you can call in and they'll give you a pretty realistic idea of your chances. Gsun88 is probably the best to ask about that.

The waitlist usually has pretty solid movement. It used to be just based on MCAT/GPA but I believe they might have changed that. It is a bit early right now but later on in the process you can call in and they'll give you a pretty realistic idea of your chances. Gsun88 is probably the best to ask about that.

Last edited:
I interviewed here recently and thought I would share some information to OOS'ers. I was told that OOS'ers do not get to claim in state residency for tuition purposes the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years. The staff told me there were scholarships available to help alleviate the extra burden; however, I know there is no guarantee I will receive any. As for the interview itself, the questions I was asked had to do with my current activities, hobbies, what I know of OMM, what would I do if I couldn't be a physician, why this school, etc. It was a one on one interview with a practicing physician(though I understand there's usually a medical student paired with a physician during interviews) and the interview itself was very laid back. Good luck.

Thanks for this info.. this is a big deal.. I was told during the student tour that I would get IS tuition 2nd, 3rd and 4th year so this is kind of a surprise and a very important factor to weigh in on my decision. Thanks again!

Thanks for this info.. this is a big deal.. I was told during the student tour that I would get IS tuition 2nd, 3rd and 4th year so this is kind of a surprise and a very important factor to weigh in on my decision. Thanks again!

Yep, it's unfortunate.

For those who have been accepted/already matriculated, does the school send you any information(Deposit, financial aid, match results, etc.) via e-mail after acceptance. I am curious because there was not a formal presentation on any of these topics during the interview day.

I received deposit and match result information in my acceptance packet. I haven't yet received financial aid information though.
Yep, it's unfortunate.

For those who have been accepted/already matriculated, does the school send you any information(Deposit, financial aid, match results, etc.) via e-mail after acceptance. I am curious because there was not a formal presentation on any of these topics during the interview day.

Yep, it's unfortunate.

Pretty sure we didn't get any info on financial aid til accepted students day which is in march.

3.82, 29(11,7,11)
NJ resident
Volunteered at 2 hospitals
Shadowed about 10 doctors

How bad will that 7 hurt me?

Good chance here?

Interviewed here early Nov, haven't heard back yet.. should i call and inquire?

Interviewed here early Nov, haven't heard back yet.. should i call and inquire?

I would wait a little while longer but if you really can't wait call...

Does anyone have any idea as to how long it can take to get an ii? Or what types of stats they are showing love? I have had two pre-interview denials (Rvucom and ccom) with one ii to LUCOM?

I have been complete for 5 weeks:
3.2 including graduate school
28 Mcat
Lots of EC...

3.82, 29(11,7,11)
NJ resident
Volunteered at 2 hospitals
Shadowed about 10 doctors

How bad will that 7 hurt me?

Good chance here?

The 7 shouldn't hurt you too bad, the total score is just above average here and the GPA is above. They don't screen out apps at any cut off for MCAT sections, I had an 8 on my verbal with strong sciences and it wasn't an issue.

Just to make sure, I called the admissions office again today about whether they'll offer in-state tuition for years 2,3, and 4. The admissions rep said they're not sure if they will;however, she said they would have an answer before enrollment

I felt like I haven't visited or posted on this thread (or any thread in a while). I am still hoping for a chance off of the waitlist here. I called a couple of weeks ago in regards to the WL process. At that time it was still not "in stone," but it seemed that the WL won't move until after the interviews are all done, but anything can happen/change. I would be thrilled if that happened. I am re-applicant here and hope that I can get accepted!

Does anyone know when the committee is supposed to meet this month?

I would really like to know this as well... I interviewed a few weeks back but I did not ask anyone in admissions for the next committee meeting date. I am hoping it is this week.

can anyone provide a timeline for this school?

It has been traditionally the 3rd Friday of the month with calls going out that day/Monday.

In terms of? Curriculum? Applying timeline?

yes, applying timeline. After sec. completion

I felt like I haven't visited or posted on this thread (or any thread in a while). I am still hoping for a chance off of the waitlist here. I called a couple of weeks ago in regards to the WL process. At that time it was still not "in stone," but it seemed that the WL won't move until after the interviews are all done, but anything can happen/change. I would be thrilled if that happened. I am re-applicant here and hope that I can get accepted!

I am with you on that one! Like any school there are always students who chose to go elsewhere so there is always hope, we got this! Good Luck!

i know its early but can any current student offer recommendations for apartments? seems like there's a whole bunch of them around. do a lot of the students prefer certain one(s)? or ones to avoid? thanks

Last edited:
i know its early but can any current student offer recommendations for apartments? seems like there's a whole bunch of them around. do a lot of the students prefer certain one(s)? or ones to avoid? thanks

There will be a housing fair at accepted students day. If you start looking before then, make sure to let the complexes know you're an incoming student as deposits and rental rates are adjusted for students.

There will be a housing fair at accepted students day. If you start looking before then, make sure to let the complexes know you're an incoming student as deposits and rental rates are adjusted for students.
thanks! do most students sign a lease at accepted students day or just prior to the start of school?

also do most students come to accepted students day? i may or may not be out of the town during that time

thanks! do most students sign a lease at accepted students day or just prior to the start of school?

also do most students come to accepted students day? i may or may not be out of the town during that time
Leases are usually signed prior to school starting. The fair is a good place to get housing information and potentially find a roommate. Admissions will also send out a list of students looking for roommates. Most students do attend accepted students day.

Does anyone know the chance of getting accepted off the waitlist?
New system is in place for the waitlist so there will be no historical stats to back up anything. Sorry!

DrSunDai might be able to give some advice on the matter. He helped me when I was waitlisted

I talked to Paula Watkins abou the WL system. She said it's a new process, but there is some value system ...as in "points." However, she said they try to fair to those that really want to be in the school, so sending updated letters or letters of interest is beneficial.

Third Friday coming up soon! anyone else waiting to hear back?

New system is in place for the waitlist so there will be no historical stats to back up anything. Sorry!

DrSunDai might be able to give some advice on the matter. He helped me when I was waitlisted

I highly advise that anyone on the waitlist that truly wants to attend, keep contact with the school. Do not stalk or be obsessive but respectfully express your desire to be here and share any relevant updates you may have. Numbers are important but they aren't everything. The fact that you received an interview says they were willing to give you a chance at being a part of the class. Best of Luck! Don't lose hope!

Does anyone know if Rowan is still interviewing? I was a slacker and did not see the secondary application in my inbox until last minute. So I submitted last Tuesday! Hoping to hear back since this school is relatively close to my house!

Does anyone know if Rowan is still interviewing? I was a slacker and did not see the secondary application in my inbox until last minute. So I submitted last Tuesday! Hoping to hear back since this school is relatively close to my house!
Yes, they're still interviewing

I highly advise that anyone on the waitlist that truly wants to attend, keep contact with the school. Do not stalk or be obsessive but respectfully express your desire to be here and share any relevant updates you may have. Numbers are important but they aren't everything. The fact that you received an interview says they were willing to give you a chance at being a part of the class. Best of Luck! Don't lose hope!

Thank you! I was waiting until I had updates to do something. Always worry about coming off as annoying so I really have not done much other than confirm that they had all of my documents as requested by the waitlist letter. Hoping to give a nice update as this semester ends.

Accepted! Can't be happier!
Congrats!!!! Relish the moment

Thank you! I was waiting until I had updates to do something. Always worry about coming off as annoying so I really have not done much other than confirm that they had all of my documents as requested by the waitlist letter. Hoping to give a nice update as this semester ends.
Don't give up. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

For those of us still anxiously awaiting an II.... Does anyone know how late their interview season goes until? Does it end in March or April? Thanks!

Too much to go through, but is there any way to check the status of your application? or do I just call? I mailed in my application in September and never received a complete email or any status update. Do they send out complete emails? Any response will help! Thanks!

Too much to go through, but is there any way to check the status of your application? or do I just call? I mailed in my application in September and never received a complete email or any status update. Do they send out complete emails? Any response will help! Thanks!
I'd call... I am not aware of any way to check online. I believe I received a complete email way back. But, on the other hand, I was also complete in September and still have yet to hear anything.

I'd call... I am not aware of any way to check online. I believe I received a complete email way back. But, on the other hand, I was also complete in September and still have yet to hear anything.
Still waiting. Complete early October... Probably going to lose my mind over the next two weeks while no applications are being reviewed.