Sinai vs Pitt vs GWU vs Georgetown (potentially)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HIFU

on the road
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been extremely fortunate to be accepted by Sinai, Pitt and GWU medical schools. I am having a hard time deciding which one to go with, would appreciate your inputs!

Background about me: currently living in NYC (been here for 5 yrs). I am okay with the city, but don't see myself living here long term. I lived in DC before moving to NYC and loved it! I plan to match to one of the DC residency programs and practice in that area. I am a little older (30+), and ideally want to move to DC right away. But the cost of attendance at GWU is very high (~81k for the first year) and they give me 15k scholarship. I tried to communicate with the admission's office, and was told they won't match other programs (see below).

Mt. Sinai gives me ~32k per year scholarship (total cost ~74k) and is a much higher ranked school than GWU and Gtown. I did enjoy the second look day at Sinai and see myself enjoying the program. Pitt gives me ~35k scholarship (total cost ~78k), which is similar to Sinai. I don't think I would enjoy living in Pittsburgh, although I do like the program.

Lastly, I am on Georgetown's waistlist and sent them a LOI. So hopefully, I can get a spot after April 30th. But the cost of attending Georgetown is also very high (~87k for the first year) and I am not sure how generous they are in terms of giving out aid.

So my current thought is to go with Sinai and hope for an acceptance from Georgetown. But I am wondering if there is any difference in terms of "prestige" between Sinai and Gtown? Should I go with GWU since my ultimate goal is to live in the DC area? Is it worth attending Gtown even though it will cost more?

Sorry for rambling so much, your insights are highly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Going to Mt. Sinai or Pitt will not exclude you from matching into a DC residency. They're all in the same region so you're set.

Personally, living in NYC for 4 years along with a good scholarship sounds the most appealing to me. Plus Mt Sinai is an awesome school. My vote is for NYC.

If you weren't aiming to live in DC, it would easily narrow the choices to Pitt and Sinai (especially since they are cheaper...) This would be including a potential Georgetown acceptance.

The question is then how set are you on living in DC for medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Prestige doesn't matter as much as that cost......you can easily match DC from Sinai or Pitt and then you can pay for 20yrs of rent in DC with the money you saved

Reactions: 1 user
If you weren't aiming to live in DC, it would easily narrow the choices to Pitt and Sinai (especially since they are cheaper...) This would be including a potential Georgetown acceptance.

The question is then how set are you on living in DC for medical school?

I am pretty confident that I want to live in DC (med school and thereafter). The only problem is cost. If there difference isn't that substantial, I would totally pick Gtown or GWU...

I am pretty confident that I want to live in DC (med school and thereafter). The only problem is cost. If there difference isn't that substantial, I would totally pick Gtown or GWU...

I agree with the above poster that coming from Pitt and Sinai you should not have a problem matching into the DC area. However, if one of your main priorities is living in DC during medical school, and you can afford or are willing to pay the higher cost to live in DC, there is nothing wrong with GWU or GT.

But from a school-based perspective, Pitt and Sinai simply have more opportunities available and a wider national network of research. I would presume that most pre-med students in your situation would pick from one of those two, especially as they are cheaper.

But different people have different priorities and that is ok!

I agree with the above poster that coming from Pitt and Sinai you should not have a problem matching into the DC area. However, if one of your main priorities is living in DC during medical school, and you can afford or are willing to pay the higher cost to live in DC, there is nothing wrong with GWU or GT.

But from a school-based perspective, Pitt and Sinai simply have more opportunities available and a wider national network of research. I would presume that most pre-med students in your situation would pick from one of those two, especially as they are cheaper.

But different people have different priorities and that is ok!

Yeah, I completely agree. If I were 5 yrs younger, I would pick Sinai without a blink. Although I have to admit, being old means I will have less yrs to practice and having a low amount of debt doesn't hurt! I have done A LOT research, so that isn't my priority anymore... Well, maybe I will just go with Sinai unless some miracle from Gtown happens lol

Yeah, I completely agree. If I were 5 yrs younger, I would pick Sinai without a blink. Although I have to admit, being old means I will have less yrs to practice and having a low amount of debt doesn't hurt! I have done A LOT research, so that isn't my priority anymore... Well, maybe I will just go with Sinai unless some miracle from Gtown happens lol

I think this is probably the best way to go. It's a balancing act between getting the cheapest medical school, a good location, and a medical school with the most opportunities. If you like NYC (and wouldn't be super sad living there for 4 years) and it's that much less expensive, it would probably be your best option.

I think this is probably the best way to go. It's a balancing act between getting the cheapest medical school, a good location, and a medical school with the most opportunities. If you like NYC (and wouldn't be super sad living there for 4 years) and it's that much less expensive, it would probably be your best option.

Thanks for the input! Let's say I stay in NYC, do I have to do an away if I want to match to the DC programs? I thought it is easier to match into home programs, is it true?

Pitt is the best choice. You want out of NYC and Pitt has a significant prestige advantage over GWU and G'town. Pittsburgh is also a very easy city to live in, and while not DC, has a lot to offer. Outstanding city actually. Also Pittsburgh is an easy drive to DC.

Thanks for the input! Let's say I stay in NYC, do I have to do an away if I want to match to the DC programs? I thought it is easier to match into home programs, is it true?

Do well and you can easily match into DC. As far as aways go, you don't NEED one in your location. In certain specialties they can be helpful.

In medicine, pediatrics, neurology, Med-peds, family medicine, and many others? No need in the slightest. In surgical fields they would be helpful, but again not necessary.

In competitive fields like dermatology or ophthalmology, it's a crapshoot for all but the best applicants at the top schools.

In other words, you will not be restricted in the slightest geographically unless you do very poorly on statistical factors (step 1, clinical rotations, etc) or your residency interviews go poorly.

Large dogs

Even though I'm a big GW fan (its where I'll probably end up!) and somewhat a Pitt fan (I have family on faculty there), based on your posts I vote Sinai hands down. I'm an older applicant too-not 30s yet but getting there-and would have killed to get into a NY school. The area surrounding Sinai is quintessential NYC, but remember that it's a big place. There are parts unexplored that you haven't yet made your own, despite having lived there for 5 years (Trust me! I lived there for ~8 years myself!). GL with the decision! :)